• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are UFOs & Ufology In Decline? If So—Why?

Why is Ufology on the decline?

• Pre-Millenial tension has subsided

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Preoccupied with terrestrial problems (war, terrorism, the economy)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No-one watches the X-Files anymore

• No cases of significance in the last few years

• Too many recent hoaxes

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Realisation it will never be proven with photos and video alone

• The visitors are lying low for some reason

• They’ve finally realized it’s all bollocks

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • UFOs are probably secret military stuff, and the military ain't talkin'

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • The internet has killed discussion groups off, by and large

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • All/some of the above

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Good points, Shadow... perhaps the lack of
physical evidence is a reason for the decline.

Or... we're looking in the wrong place!
Check out the oh-so-very logical Jacques Vallee interview:

http://www.conspire.com/val.html

TVgeek

P.S. Strieber is predicting a HUGE increase in sightings
this late summer, as Earth and Mars get closer together...
Stay Tuned! ;)

TVgeek said:
P.S. Strieber is predicting a HUGE increase in sightings
this late summer, as Earth and Mars get closer together...
Stay Tuned! ;)
Is this because he thinks people will mistake Mars for a UFO?

Or because he thinks aliens come from Mars? But if they have good space travel methods, planetary distances should make little difference - and if they only have human-type low energy trajectories available, Earth-Mars distance still wouldn't make much difference! (A Hohmann transfer orbit would take over 6 months anyway.)

What will Streiber say next? That we'll be able to see the canals on Mars too...? :D

I guess the same could be said of Venus also.

Musings after a couple of beers and a Big Meal

I mentioned elsewhere a book I have that attempts to group UFO "styles" into certain eras, and that sighting styles evolve with what Western society is interested in. The groupings are:

1947-57: The Postwar Years
Physical spaceships, radar signatures, "nuts and bolts" craft, no sightings of occupants until the first contactees.

1957-67: The "Sixties"
Occupants of craft are sighted during the Space Race and Cold War paranoia. MIBs appear. UFOs answering a spiritual need.

1967-77: The Decade of Endings and Changes
Upheaval and instability, abductees, bizarre reports, growth of investigative groups.

1977-87: The Decade of Conspiracy
CE3K, crash retrievals, Roswell resurfaces, Rendlesham, Cash/Landrum, MJ12

1987-97: The Decade of Autonomy
UFO's 'come of age' and become socially and culturally acceptable. Whitley Streiber, abductees, X Files, greys, implants, crop circles, triangles, mutilations, Area 51, Gulf Breeze,

Interestingly it hints at a ten year cycle of UFO interest, so we're currently right between peaks, the next of which will occur towards 2007. Maybe world events will have cooled by then.

Regarding the attitude of science, we know that scientists are very keen on maintaining their respectability and therefore avoid the subject like the plague, but maybe there's another factor. Cash.
Working in medicine, one can make money from drug patenting and new treatments. Working in engineering one can sell cars and large scale high tech developments. Working in electronics, scientists can sell new gadgets and toys.
There is no cash in UFO research because you're not providing a "cure" for people to buy. The only way to make money is say "It's real! Here's the proof, folks, if you buy this book." or alternatively "It's all crap, debunked forever! Here's the proof, folks, if you buy this book."
What's in it for science to make a reasoned, impartial, truly scientific study?

Apart from this, I think there's a bigger problem. Science is simply unable to say "I don't know what's causing this." Which is what I suspect the conclusion will be.

Re: Musings after a couple of beers and a Big Meal

Dark Detective said:
What's in it for science to make a reasoned, impartial, truly scientific study?
Admittedly some scientific projects are 'big money', applications oriented, but much research is pure science, with no forseeable practical applications, but people still make a living from teaching in universities while they do their research.

A good research project into UFOs would be far less expensive than many big science projects running today.

Science generally keeps away from UFOs because of cultural reasons, whether justified or not.

Or, under conspiracy thinking, those that already know the truth don't want the rest of us to find out, and so muddy the waters with disinformation!

In the US at least, the 'pure science' research is increasingly less and less. It's about how much grant money and/or profits from patents can one bring in, which is very much tied to medicinal, military or industrial applications. Of which the University is just a contributing corporation.

And I don't disagree with the fact that a stigma surrounding UFO research exists. But I wouldn't discount internal (ie within academia) cultural reasons. A good project would almost by neccesity be a multidisciplinary one. That's not very popular to begin with. But if one starts talking say, physics and psychology, that's just a non-starter the vast majority of places.

Dark Detective - there are pre-WW2 sigtings too, including occupants. These tend to fall into either 'phantom airships and their inventors' or CE1 or CE2 events. There's also the 'phantom rockets' phenomena just after WW2.

A few points;

There is one word I would use to explain the main decline of interest, and that is "camcorder". The camcorder should have been the tool which proved the existance of the UFO - but it may have done the exact opposite. In fact, could the camcorder have actually disproved their existance? Despite the fact that so many millions around the globe from the 1980s onwards bought an instant recording device - and more recently, digital ones - we are frankly yet to see a single convincing piece of footage of a UFO. The camcorder should capture more than a single shot photo, yet despite the thousands who actively film for shots of UFOs or the many more who have reached for the camcorders after seeing something odd, there is simply nothing conclusive which has ever been caught on video - despite a good zoom lens, improved picture/still qualities and other picture enhancement features you get as standard on modern cameras. So many sightings, so why none on film? So many thousands of regular abductees, but none have ever thought to leave a camera on overnight to film it? UFOs have declined in popularity because against all the odds (in terms of number of sightings each week globally), there is just no hard video evidence.

Furthermore, from what I can see, there were more pics taken decades ago of alleged UFOs (ie when only a small section of society owned decent cameras and before camcorders were around) than there have been since good quality cameras, instant cameras (for those "what's that flying over the Houses of Parliament - quick lets get to Boots!" moments) camcorders and digital cameras became available to the masses.

Also, and I'm sure this must have been mentioned earlier, the more sophisticated the Hollywood sci-fi movie, the more bored and detached people get at the fuzzy shots of bugger all which get hyped as a sighting.

There has been a lot of camcorder footage, and IIRC one good sequence (shot in Scotland) was sold for many thousand pounds last year.

And there's a man in Hampshire who seems to video them practically every week!

It's the usual dichotomy with paranormal subjects - either the evidence is perceived as too sparse to prove anything; or if there is apparently a lot of evidence then it's seen as faked or otherwise compromised.
...the more sophisticated the Hollywood sci-fi movie, the more bored and detached people get at the fuzzy shots of bugger all which get hyped as a sighting.
This probably is a factor. Still plenty of anomalous lights in the sky, but few shots as good as the one I refered to in my first para (I'll see if I can find a link later).

One type of sighting has been on the increase- the Flying triangle...

However, our new member Dijono might have found the solution to some of thses sightings- a triad of surveillance satellites called a NOSS Triad-
link here
http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/phenomena/triangle_ufo_noss_000114.html
The most convincing UFOs I have seen have turned out to be planets close enough for the mind/eye system to fill in an imaginary shape between them.
In certain configurations these three satellites will no doubt give the same illusion... it would be interesting to check the ephemera for these objects against reports.

Did someone say back there that no one watches The XFiles any more? They haven't been to my MB. :D

This may seem perverse, but I prefer to be obsessed with something that no one else likes any more. ;)

JerryB said:
Dark Detective - there are pre-WW2 sigtings too, including occupants.
Right, but we're talking about trends rather than specifics. I probably didn't make that clear as I was skimming the book and making an attempt to summarise. I think the Ghost Rockets fit quite well with other sightings of the Post War era. The "scareships" phenomenon is quite interesting in that again it resembles a known technology rather than a metallic disc which would be "out there" in the pre-Wright brothers world.
Originally posted by lopaka

A good project would almost by neccesity be a multidisciplinary one. That's not very popular to begin with. But if one starts talking say, physics and psychology, that's just a non-starter the vast majority of places.

Let's say science finally did get around the investigating the phenomenon - how would they go about it?

Well, Strieber is claiming his predictions have come true:

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=2776

"George Filer of Filer's Files reports in his June 4 issue that there has been an increase of UFO sightings in the U.S., especially of saucer and cylindrical-shaped objects in the sky. This fulfills a prediction Whitley Strieber made six months ago. "

Granted, his source is Filer's Files -- a good weekly/monthly
collection of sightings (little or no evaluations -- just
the information about what was seen, when, by whom, etc...)

I'm still hoping for something a little more "definitive"!

TVgeek

Simon said:
The camcorder should capture more than a single shot photo...

One of the things though is that consumer-grade camcorders (particularly analogue ones) have worse resolution than old-fashioned 35MM still film - video only has about 500-600 squares with which to make a picture, whereas a still pictures has thosands of fine grains to make a picture. The Patterson Bigfoot film probably had more resolution.

Also, we're the phantom airships shown to be products of yellow journalism of the time, made up to increase readership in papers?

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Also, we're the phantom airships shown to be products of yellow journalism of the time, made up to increase readership in papers?

Not as far as I'm aware. Some elements of the things that went on may have been fanciful (i.e. inventors with new types of aircraft), but I don't think the initial sightings were of such dodgy provenance. Of course, the initial sightings could've had a mundane source, which then sparked off lots of speculation - as is the case nowadays too ;)

I agree with a lot of what's been said.

Discussion groups used to be for support and for information and to feel heard and sympathised with. No other real reason. The internet provides all of this and its at your personal convenience rather than someone else's.

No one has managed to get a nuts and bolts spacecraft and no one has taken a really good photo - the hoaxes are so depressing so no one can be bothered much anymore.

The messages they're giving are so old hat, now. Blah blah environment blah blah catastrophe, etc. I've got to be one of the most selfish bitches in the world because despite our environment being eaten away by technology I'm glad I live in our world as it is and not living in filth before the industrial revolution when it took all you had to keep yourself in turnips, fending off the plague, and sharing a pretty one-roomed cottage in a field with nine other relatives and an assortment of livestock! And I don't drive a car and used terry nappies on my child so I do my bit but even so...Nostalgia is a dangerous thing...

Also I think Keel and Hough's theories are the ones that will supercede UFO's as we all have access to the internet we can see for our own eyes that these phenomena are too different to fit into the old framework - although we know about Keel and Hough I don't think its really hit or been sustained, at least, in the media.

That's my twopennuth anyhow!:D

source

WEST IN UFO ALERT

11:00 - 22 May 2003

Ufo sightings across Britain have increased by 50 per cent in the past year. Research by UFO Magazine found that the skies are buzzing with UFOs and the West is one of the most popular spots for reports. One witness, Malcolm Chamberlain, said he spotted seven orbs of light below the clouds travelling in a V formation over Weston-super-Mare. An Australian woman also saw a "spinning top-style vehicle" flying over Stonehenge.

stu edit - big link sorted

The same thing that killed the X-Files

Could it be that there was so much intense pop-cultural focus on UFOs (Most notibly Close Encounters and the Communion phenomenon) that people started to expact that aliens were going to contact the Earth within a few years?

And when they didn't send representitives to the UN to try and stop our warring ways (or any other recognized communication of any kind), then people in general felt used and stopped believing in UFOs?

Kind of like Doomsday Cults whose predicted day of reckoning doesn't occur when it is supposed to, so the core belief is broken.

Ridicule Intense

Keep in mind, too, that currently media ridicule is intense for anyone who takes UFOs seriously. The unspoken message is clear: Speak of this in anything but a sneering tone and you'll be sneered at next.

Chilling effect.

Why the media and powers that be that control them want this state of affairs, I don't know, but quashing discussion tends to make one suspicious of the topic as a whole. What's it hiding, and what have we gotten too close to?

TLE

Filthy le Dog said:
As soon as the general public hear somebody saying "Look, to be honest, we don't know what it is, but isn't it weird?" rather than "These are aliens" or "Aliens! My arse! It's temporal lobe epilepsy" then I honestly believe more people would take sit up and take notice...
What evidence is there to suggest that abduction experiences aren't the result of temporal lobe epilepsy? Inplants? Body scars that weren't present before the experience?

Originally posted by Justin Anstey http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...ntentPK=5710893

WEST IN UFO ALERT

11:00 - 22 May 2003

Ufo sightings across Britain have increased by 50 per cent in the past year. Research by UFO Magazine found that the skies are buzzing with UFOs and the West is one of the most popular spots for reports.
Maybe it's because so many of these "Unidentified Flying Objects" are actually identified (covertly at least) objects of a military sort, these days?

Anxiety

UFO flaps often go along with increased anxiety and, with both US and UK governments doing their best to keep us in panic mode, its no surprise more of us are reporting things we see but can't explain.

Further, it's accurate to say that there is no physical evidence supporting abduction claims. It seems to be at least 95% psychological, with maybe, just maybe, a 5% or so external stimulus.

Alien Dawn by Colin Wilson looks at the encounter phenomenon and is a very good book on this topic.

As soon as the general public hear somebody saying "Look, to be honest, we don't know what it is, but isn't it weird?" rather than "These are aliens" or "Aliens! My arse! It's temporal lobe epilepsy" then I honestly believe more people would take sit up and take notice of an intruiging and fascinating subject rather than just pinning the field down to a bunch of geeks who state categorically that the world is run by an alien elite.

Exactly. It's always either the crazies and the believe-anything weirdo's or the oh-so-intellectual "authorities" who read Jenny Randles for 10 minutes and think they know everything. The result of both these two camps is to push the study of a valid phenomenon further and further into disrepute.

It's an indisputable FACT that there is something to investigate, it's just a question of what it might turn out to be.

Disinformation

Example: USAF has for decades had a policy of using the very handy cover of UFO flaps to keep both experiments and actual craft under wraps. This means they have consciously stirred up UFO flaps and, much worse, have kept the flake level high precisely to ward off any serious inquiry.

It's worked.

By both encouraging UFO flaps and ensuring a high degree of crank-level lunacy, they've created a very handy cover for themselves, discouraged serioius inquiries, and set things up so that even if the occasional serious inquiry is launched, it can easily be ridiculed and the investigator's character assassinated with derisive scornful laugher and sneering.

It's not going to change as long as this set up is useful.

Blimey! I'd forgotten about this thread!

I was looking the other day at some of those videos taken by that guy down south (Bedhampton, was it?).
(Here are some examples on Rense)
(...and some more)
Whilst some of them seem to me to be misidentifications, there are some truly bizarre images that have been captured. Woods himself postulates that these are intelligently controlled whilst not advocating the ETH. Surely there should have been some kind of scientific investigation into what these objects are.
Why not?
Because people don't take the subject seriously... :rolleyes:

More about the demise of UFOlogy

Seen in today's 'Observer'. Apparently it's sooooo last century.

At:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1168923,00.html

UFO spies vanish into black hole

Now you see them...

Mark Townsend
Sunday March 14, 2004
The Observer

At its peak, tens of thousands would await the latest lurid tales of alien autopsies and flying saucers spying on sleepy market towns.
Yet the publication that took UFOs from the sci-fi hinterland to the mainstream has now enjoyed its final print run. After almost 25 years, UFO Magazine was quietly shut down last week. Suggestions of paranormal interference or alien involvement have been ruled out. The reason is more down-to-earth: not enough people care these days.

Sources said its closure had been inevitable since the death of editor and world UFO expert Graham Birdsall last September. Birdsall along with younger brother Mark founded the Leeds-based magazine in 1981. Soon it became the world's top UFO publication, selling up to 35,000 copies at its height. Subscribers still talk about the puncture marks on sheep carcasses which offered proof that extra-terrestrial visitors had arrived to suck the juices of livestock.

Andy Roberts, author of UFO books and former magazine contributor, said the public's fascination with mysterious flying objects had faded. 'Ufology is really a thing of the last century. The end of the X-Files series didn't help, and there has been a decline since the televised alien autopsy of the mid-1990s. Basically it was a hobby that broke into the mainstream... Ultimately there was only a hardcore following,' said Roberts.

The sighting of a strange bright object above his Leeds home in 1967 fuelled Birdsall's interest in UFOs. It was an obsession that would make him a household name among Ufologists and an obliga tory presence on television whenever a new sighting was reported.

Birdsall's death followed the loss of another icon of the UFO community last summer. Ex-diplomat Gordon Creighton, 92, was editor of Flying Saucer Review, the longest-running UFO magazine. Founded in 1955, it is still published.

Sightings are still reported. Last week a group of children in Littleborough, Lancashire, claimed they saw a spacecraft moving slowly above rooftops for several minutes before it shot off at high speed.

Wooden Saucers

Anthony Woods's pictures are of mylar balloons, quite obviously so, just look at the pictures he's posted on Rense.com.

As for public interest, I'd guess it has more pressing concerns closer to home, such as the Gestapo, to take up its attention.

Fact is, UFOs are last century the same was Ghosts are Victorian -- some interest will continue but the boom days are over.

Well, it seems that the FT's very own Andy Roberts is still crowing over the death of Ufology. Here he is commenting on a rather lazy article from yesterday's Guardian on the Ufologyinukmailing list. (You need to join up to browse the posts, I'm afraid.)

Message #1 of 1: Date Posted: 22 Apr 2006 13:17:13 by Andy Roberts

From today's Guardian, and totally spot on, with the best thing about it being how ufologists make themselves look fools by what they say!

Happy Trails
Andy

The Guardian, Saturday, 22 April 2006
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story ... 39,00.html

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO....UFOs

by Ian Hollinshead

Mankind has been spotting strange objects in the sky since biblical
times, but it wasn't until the 1940s that terms such as "flying saucer"
regularly appeared in the headlines. Footage of an alien autopsy near
Roswell, New Mexico, in 1947 reached an estimated global audience of one
billion before being exposed as a fake. The film of this story - Alien
Autopsy, starring Ant and Dec - opened earlier this month.

However, it would appear that public interest in UFOs has waned
significantly since the 1970s film Close Encounters of the Third Kind
suggested we are not alone. A forlorn statement on the website of the
British UFO Research Association (Bufora) declares that they are scaling
down their activities. "The halcyon days of ufology are over," explains
chairman Robert Rosamond, bemoaning the effects of "dwindling subject
material". A number of regional affiliates have closed down altogether,
some of them blaming the end of The X-Files series for waning interest.
It is a far cry from 1951, when the ministry of defence set up the flying
saucer working party. Although the committee dismissed reports of alien
sightings as "optical illusions and psychological delusions", its
findings were not made public until 50 years later, fuelling suspicions
of a cover-up. Public paranoia was not helped by the fact that most UFO
sightings have occurred near RAF bases, with the result that the MoD has
been reluctant to release too many details.

Today, however, rational explanations appear to exist for most UFO
sightings. Last October, drivers on the M25 pulled over to stare at what
turned out to be Thai lanterns. In December 2004, Southern Electric was
moved to persuade its customers that a huge flash of light was due to a
power surge and not any extraterrestrial interference. Even the infamous
Rendlesham Forest incident in December 1980 was later blamed on a
prank-loving American airman. Kites, soap bubbles, feathers, weather
balloons, parachutes and tumbleweeds have all been mistaken for alien
visitors.

UFO enthusiasts have also suffered by association with their fringe,
loony element. The Flying Saucer Review - which bizarrely claims to have
Prince Philip among its subscribers - has an online article suggesting
HIV was brought to earth by aliens. A documentary in 2004 reported that
flying saucers were actually created by Nazi scientists and sold to the
American military.

Understandably, this kind of press is a deterrent to potential hobbyists.
"People don't come forward because they fear ridicule," says Roy Lake,
the chairman of London UFO Studies.

A more obvious explanation for fading interest in UFOs is that the craze
has simply run its course. "The internet killed it off," says Mr Lake.
"And it's been overshadowed by other events." The internet has also given
support to myriad conspiracy theories. Why worry about extraterrestrial
life when down here on earth you can concern yourself with whether MI5
murdered Princess Diana, Nasa staged the moon landings and Jesus had a
bloodline that can be traced to Leonardo da Vinci?

Yet Bufora's Rosamond remains phlegmatically optimistic about the future
of ufology. "For every 100 cases there are 99 rational explanations," he
says. "But there is always one which confounds the scientists. The
problem is that we have reams of circumstantial evidence, but not one
piece of conclusive proof. No one will believe anything until they have
seen it for themselves."

At least one editor of a UFO magazine is taking no chances. "No home
visits, please," reads the request next to his home address.

The Guardian's comment that "it would appear that public interest in UFOs has waned significantly since the 1970s film Close Encounters of the Third Kind suggested we are not alone" is patently ridiculous, of course. The high-water mark of 'public interest' in UFOs was surely between the late 80's and mid-90's - fuelled by the likes of Streiber, Hopkins, and the fledgling X files. And Flying Saucer Review is hardly the best example of the "fringe, loony element", despite the rather apocalyptic tendencies of the late Gordon Creighton.

Back