• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
...as well as speeding up queues while people dither about what they're buying from the list on the screen.
No dithering for me. Everything more expensive per kilo than white onions, goes through as white onions.
Mind you, they've shot up in price recently.

No dithering for me. Everything more expensive per kilo than white onions, goes through as white onions.
Mind you, they've shot up in price recently.
Probably to make up for all the people underpaying for other things maybe.

If you want to run an LLM (large language model) at home, try Faraday.dev, kobold.cpp or GPT4all.

The biggest thieving problem in retail and warehousing/delivery is down to staff.
There’s an awful lot of shoplifting at the moment and it generally not the people who are in a dire situation. We had someone trying to steal a whole basket full of chocolates months ago. That’s to sell on not get by. It’s unusual to have a day when there isn’t a shoplifter. I can’t comment on the theft level from the staff on the grocery side.

This is the reason for demands to see receipts. It's to reduce loss through theft.
Skirting politics, the increase in theft - either by shoplifting, warehouse or to 'sell on' - is an obvious result of a cost of living crisis. If people can't afford to pay they'll steal or pay for stolen goods. Firms, in turn, have to cover stock-loss. Now, it might be said that they should take the hit out of their profits and shareholders - their excuse not to is it would be disincentive to investment.
The biggest thieving problem in retail and warehousing/delivery is down to staff.
Having worked in both industries, this problem tends to be seasonal. Firms employ temporary staff and relax vetting procedures to cope with the increased demand. And these staff have less compulsion to not steal.

Our Sainsbury’s recently installed cabinets throughout the chilled section and then went on to install a closed gate to exit the self-checkout area, operated by a scan of your receipt. After one of the staff asked what I thought of the new layout, I said that being assumed to be a shoplifter until I could prove otherwise by opening the gate was a bit of an insult. She said ‘Well Tesco and Aldi are doing it’ to which I replied, ‘I expect better from Sainsbury’. I’m not alone in hating self checkout. They‘re inefficient and if you’re buying an 18+ item it has to be authorised. So you see people hanging about while one staff member is left to monitor transactions of about 10 checkouts at once. I saw one guy actually take a young member of staff by the arm and physically led him to his checkout as he’d lost patience watching him chatting to another co-worker who was equally unprofessional.
Meanwhile there’s a queue of people waiting at the proper checkout lanes which are mostly unmanned.
I don’t buy this people are so poor, they’re reduced to shoplifting. I think a lot of it is professional stealing to order with the goods being sold on. Another part is little more than low level looting which happened to a Curry’s in our town.
Supermarkets have largely brought this on themselves. Our Sainsbury’s is set up like a rabbit warren maze. The fact that the alarm goes off randomly when every other person leaves the store and security doesn’t even look around or react anymore is Fagin’s Dream.

When was it they said RFID on the packaging could trace an item from the factory to the supermarket to your fridge? What happened to that?

Booths are going back to to the old checkouts it may be a area thing but most
people seem to hate them round here.
The self pay petrol pumps don't seem popular, most head for the booth to pay.
:omr:

Our Sainsbury’s recently installed cabinets throughout the chilled section and then went on to install a closed gate to exit the self-checkout area, operated by a scan of your receipt. After one of the staff asked what I thought of the new layout, I said that being assumed to be a shoplifter until I could prove otherwise by opening the gate was a bit of an insult. She said ‘Well Tesco and Aldi are doing it’ to which I replied, ‘I expect better from Sainsbury’. I’m not alone in hating self checkout. They‘re inefficient and if you’re buying an 18+ item it has to be authorised. So you see people hanging about while one staff member is left to monitor transactions of about 10 checkouts at once. I saw one guy actually take a young member of staff by the arm and physically led him to his checkout as he’d lost patience watching him chatting to another co-worker who was equally unprofessional.
Meanwhile there’s a queue of people waiting at the proper checkout lanes which are mostly unmanned.
I don’t buy this people are so poor, they’re reduced to shoplifting. I think a lot of it is professional stealing to order with the goods being sold on. Another part is little more than low level looting which happened to a Curry’s in our town.
Supermarkets have largely brought this on themselves. Our Sainsbury’s is set up like a rabbit warren maze. The fact that the alarm goes off randomly when every other person leaves the store and security doesn’t even look around or react anymore is Fagin’s Dream.

When was it they said RFID on the packaging could trace an item from the factory to the supermarket to your fridge? What happened to that?
The trouble is it will just inconvenience normal customers (and staff). The worst shoplifters usually have the balls just to walk out like they own the place through whichever exit. Our Sainsbury’s have ins but not ours other than through the self serve, tills our up and round by our shop (where the ballsy shoplifters go.) The trouble is we have to take a lot of customers to the front of the shop where our larger items are kept and the barriers are a pain in the bum. You either have to hand the thing over or take the customer with you and they have to find their own way out.

I have no problem with do it yourself. The less human interaction the better for me. I love the scan as you shop I get pretty annoyed when you have unload everything to a conveyor belt and then take it all off again.

I love the scan as you shop I get pretty annoyed when you have unload everything to a conveyor belt and then take it all off again.
This is why I love going to a wholesalers. You scan in, they count the number of items at check-out. They check on a random basis.

Booths are going back to to the old checkouts it may be a area thing but most
people seem to hate them round here.
The self pay petrol pumps don't seem popular, most head for the booth to pay.
:omr:
I find 'pay at pump' incredibly easy. There always seems to be a queue for people paying the cashier...unless people where you live only use cash?

I find 'pay at pump' incredibly easy. There always seems to be a queue for people paying the cashier...unless people where you live only use cash?
I think most use pay at pumps our way. I know it’s my preferred choice. It must be a great help to parents who have kids in the car. Who always had the choice of locking them in the car or having to take them out to go with you when paying.

It all went to the bow-wows when instead of having petrol stations at supermarkets, they turned the stations into supermarkets.
"Yep, a tenners worth of fuel please. Oh, that reminds me - a sack of charcoal briquettes, a propane cylinder, and two bottles of vodka please ..."
Seriously, paying at the pump is usually faster than standing in a queue and waiting behind some numpty who asks the above.

It must be a local thing then it's rare to see people pay at the pump here,
as for the soupermarket thing, when petrol went unleaded we had to do
a course on it, after that and a bit I read a few years later pointing to
cancer clusters round petrol stations I have never knowingly eaten anything
from a fuel station,
:dunno:

It must be a local thing then it's rare to see people pay at the pump here,
as for the soupermarket thing, when petrol went unleaded we had to do
a course on it, after that and a bit I read a few years later pointing to
cancer clusters round petrol stations I have never knowingly eaten anything
from a fuel station,
:dunno:
Packaged food should be OK.

She will when you have to ask her twenty times to play Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger.
Yup, it's easier to instruct it through the app on my phone.

My preference is for podcasts. I have Bluetooth headphones that work well with it.

Last night I listened to Deadhouse on BBC Sounds and endured the experience of becoming an eyeless corpse and having my ear whispered into. The slight fever from Covid gave an additional frisson. :thought:

Chat GPT learns to lie

6781_d9eef770cbbcd8ad43366a83bcab1ad0.jpg

Back