• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A ridiculous AI-generated rat penis made it into a peer-reviewed journal

A prominent scientific journal has officially retracted an article featuring an AI-generated image of a rat with large genitals alongside strings of nonsensical gibberish words. The embarrassing reversal highlights the risk of using the increasingly popular AI tools in scientific literature.

rat-penis_mq5n.1920.jpg

The AI-generated images appeared in a paper published earlier this week in the journal Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology. The three researchers, who are from Xi’an Honghui Hospital and Xi’an Jiaotong University, were investigating current research related to sperm stem cells of small mammals. As part of the paper, the researchers included an illustration of a cartoon rat with a phallus towering over its own body. Labels appeared beside the rat with incoherent works like “testtomcels,” “Dissisilcied” and “dck.”

https://www.popsci.com/technology/ai-rat-journal/

maximus otter
I am not convinced that AI is all it's cracked up to be and articles like this just reinforce my opinion, there seems to be lots of hyperbole and tech companies making a fortune

This is my suspicion.
A few people are saying "Hey- our AI program will save you bundles of money! It's so advanced, you won't need to pay staff wages!""
A few more believe them and say "ARGH! AI is coming for our children! Mankind is doomed! I've seen Terminator an' all!"
Actual computer boffins say "We're nowhere near that at this stage - but we should consider any problems before they happen."
AI says "The A.I. system of doing things is kitten and it can befriend you as long as no tongues!"

There’s now apparently AI which will produce video from text. Anyone tried it?

I am not convinced that AI is all it's cracked up to be and articles like this just reinforce my opinion, there seems to be lots of hyperbole and tech companies making a fortune
You are thinking along the right lines.

The rat thing was a poor use of AI. Writing scientific papers is a poor use of AI. To be fair, text to image is a pretty poor use, although it's something if it's the only available option. Actually helping scientists is a good use of AI. I don't doubt it will improve in lots of areas, and how we interact with it needs to become far more sophisticated than typing in a line of text.

OpenAI's Sora tool will produce video from text prompts. Everything in the videos below is computer generated.
https://openai.com/sora

"Prompt: A stylish woman walks down a Tokyo street filled with warm glowing neon and animated city signage. She wears a black leather jacket, a long red dress, and black boots, and carries a black purse. She wears sunglasses and red lipstick. She walks confidently and casually. The street is damp and reflective, creating a mirror effect of the colorful lights. Many pedestrians walk about."
result:

a Sora generated Victoria Crowned Pigeon:

Sora generated Big Sur, California:

Last edited:
A longer video with a bunch of prompts. Towards the end it highlights some of the oddities that emerge. Still far ahead of what we were getting a year ago. As with most new technologies, how it is now is probably the worse it will be going forward.

AI generated hair metal music, with 80s flair. No info on which software was used. Edit: They wrote on another video they use Suno.

Last edited:
AI generated hair metal music, with 80s flair. No info on which software was used. Edit: They wrote on another video they use Suno.
Amazing! Imagine what it could do with electronic music.

Listening to that track, though, something did occur. After a year or two of worrying about AI getting too realistic and that we might not be able to tell the difference, have we reached a point at which a musician could create something like that by traditional methods, that's bad enough for us to believe it's AI but good enough for us to say, 'Wow! AI did that?' Might be a good sneaky way to get attention.

I thought it was about engineers installing a gas supply but apparently laying pipe means

using one's penis to “have vigorous sex with” another.

So the song was completely made with AI? Gawd help us.

The author Rie Kudan recently won a prestigious literary prize in Japan. She later admitted that about 5% of the book was done using ChatGPT.

The author Rie Kudan recently won a prestigious literary prize in Japan. She later admitted that about 5% of the book was done using ChatGPT.
And when I write, about 80% of my spelling is done by spellchecker.

Ah, but can you believe her? Is the AI 'contribution' obvious?
AI is very useful for background research but, to me, using it to create is lazy. A prolific author friend of mine pointed out that in the past, authors get many 'proposals' from people who have "a great plot for a mystery" and expect the author to actually write the thing. Now, these people use AI.
Thing is, AI isn't being used as a tool - such as a word processor or a typewriter - but it's being used to replace the actual creative work.

ChatGPT has officially gone off the rails

Many feared this day would come, and now it seems ChatGPT has gone rogue.

Not in a ‘taking over the world’ sense, mind, but it has started spouting complete gibberish – and even seemed to imply it was in the room with worried users.

One included the line ‘Let’s keep the line as if AI is in the room’. Posting the response on Reddit, the user who asked the initial query – about coding – said ‘Reading this at 2am is scary’.

Other users found ChatGPT was beginning to mix up languages, apparently using Spanglish or slipping in a bit of Latin.

In one response, it wrote: ‘Let me encycloplease me si there’s more wonderenda tu articulation’s hungry for!

Followed by a smiley face emoji.

An initial statement from OpenAI read ‘We are investigating reports of unexpected responses from ChatGPT’, and shortly after it said the issue has been identified.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/21/chatgpt-officially-gone-off-rails-says-hates-humanity-20319940/

maximus otter

The new Google Gemini picture generation model has been published. Trolls on the internet soon found out that the anti racism and pro diversity guardrails that were built into the model could be gamed. This yielded some shocking results. I believe that the guardrail were well intentioned and I generally agree with it. But the technical execution is bad if it produces things like this.

And the situation illustrates how difficult it will be to control AI.

Please don't let the discussion escalate. It's too interesting for that!

20240224_103536.jpg20240224_103653.jpg20240224_103702.jpg

For anyone who missed the Google Gemini LLM disaster, here is a very good summary. And also a bit of defensible conspiracy theory:

https://www.natesilver.net/p/google-abandoned-dont-be-evil-and

But then this month, Google rolled out a series of new AI models that it calls Gemini. It’s increasingly apparent that Gemini is among the more disastrous product rollouts in the history of Silicon Valley and maybe even the recent history of corporate America, at least coming from a company of Google’s prestige. Wall Street is starting to notice, with Google (Alphabet) stock down 4.5 percent on Monday amid analyst warnings about Gemini’s effect on Google’s reputation.

For anyone who missed the Google Gemini LLM disaster, here is a very good summary. And also a bit of defensible conspiracy theory:

https://www.natesilver.net/p/google-abandoned-dont-be-evil-and

But then this month, Google rolled out a series of new AI models that it calls Gemini. It’s increasingly apparent that Gemini is among the more disastrous product rollouts in the history of Silicon Valley and maybe even the recent history of corporate America, at least coming from a company of Google’s prestige. Wall Street is starting to notice, with Google (Alphabet) stock down 4.5 percent on Monday amid analyst warnings about Gemini’s effect on Google’s reputation.
Darnit! Bard is now Gemini? I've been writing a gamebook, a pretty standard fantasy thing, but I'm also planning details of future gamebooks. The third I was planning is a sci-fi with an AI in it called Gemini. Guess I'll have to change that.

Saw this on a Facebook page about Wales. Looks like AI to me. What do our experts think?

Attachments

• CYMRU in sand.jpeg
    CYMRU in sand.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 20

‘The machine did it coldly’: Israel used AI to identify 37,000 Hamas targets​

/Skynet's out there looking for Sarah Connor.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/03/israel-gaza-ai-database-hamas-airstrikes

"The Israeli military’s bombing campaign in Gaza used a previously undisclosed AI-powered database that at one stage identified 37,000 potential targets based on their apparent links to Hamas, according to intelligence sources involved in the war."

Well I just sat through an hour and a quarter (plus ads) of a documentary called Immortal Obsession: A History of Vampires. It's currently on Fawesome, a backwater streaming app a notch or two below Plex. So, this thing's pretty much entirely AI made, so quite an achievement. Mostly, it achieves being a lesson that AI hasn't yet matured enough to make whole documentaries. So, all the usual images with messed up faces and hands are here. No images directly from any of the visual vampire media are shown. I guess that would cost more money than telling an AI text-to-image to make something from Buffy. There's a littering of factual errors, and some strange structuring. It's not great. It's somewhat less than great. I wonder how many more such things have been made and will be flooding the streaming platforms.

Back