• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Australian Stone-Throwing Poltergeist

dandare29

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Greetings, everybody!

Does anyone remember a story in the FT about a house in Australia whose inhabitants suffered for a long time from a poltergeist (?) that threw stones at them & their house?

I think the events took place in the 1960s, but I don't remember.

I'm trying to find the article in my old FT back issues, and haven't succeeded. All I can say for sure is that the story appeared since 1999.

Thank you for your help!

cheers,
DanDare29

Could it be the Humpty Doo case, described here on the useful Blather site?

Poltergeists Down Under

:?:

Coverage in FT may have been of the talk by an Australian cryptozoologist, Tom Healy who spoke about his personal experience of the stone-throwing at the FT Unconvention in April 1999. BBC Report here

It could also be the Mayanup poltergeist:

Article here

I recently read the book by Helen Hack, which also detailed some UFO-type phenomena in the same area, well worth reading if you can get hold of a copy.

Amazon.co.uk

It was actually cheaper to import a copy from a second-hand bookshop in Australia than get it from Amazon...

I'm not so sure on anything in the 60s - but there was a Poltergeist case on TV (Channel 9?) where on camera something like a coffee cup or the like was thrown from a cupboard across the room - all captured on camera.

It was somewhere in Queensland I believe, and from what I could tell it looked pretty real. Bugger me if I can find a link on the net now - it would have been about 10 years ago, I reckon.

On a slightly off-tangent, there is a new paranormal investigator show on in Melbourne and Sydney on Channel 31 - more on www.paranormalinvestigators.com.au - but it is all a bit cheesy, I am afraid.

But I would like if someone could provide a link to that QLD case?

Ok, James Whitehead had it already covered in his link:

http://blather.net/blather/1998/04/polt ... under.html

It was in the NT and not QLD and on Channel 7, not 9 - and back in 98... :oops: ...but I remember seeing the images on TV and they were impressive!

Scroll to the "Polt on Aussie TV" section - but I can't find anything on YouTube?

I remember hearing a triple J broadcast in 1998 (I think) where one of the reporters had gone to the house in the NT and was interviewing the residents when a load of stones were thrown at them - you could hear this on the recording they played on the radio - and the reporter just started running and freaking out.

Course, this doesn't prove anything. But I remember being impressed

It was impressive. I was there and spent several days at the house while the poltergeist was active. I think it was the best poltergeist case of the 20th century.
Was that Humpty Doo or Mayanup?

Back