• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Batman Begins

I'd never heard of Crispin Glover before. He's very reminiscent of a younger Emo Phillips (cira 1985).

Would prefer him over Williams anyday...

But he played George McFly in Back to the Future! Also in 1985.

(Not the sequels though. Apparently, he's impossible to work with.)

I actually thought he'd be good as Scarecrow, but they've done him (and very well, too). He could do Joker. I'd certainly like to see it if he does.

Anome_ said:
But he played George McFly in Back to the Future! Also in 1985.

(Not the sequels though. Apparently, he's impossible to work with.)

Not true, apparently, what happened was that after his justified acclaim for River's Edge Glover wanted to do more, um, edgy projects but Speilberg and the BTTF crew brought back his character with archive footage and an actor made up to look like him. He successfully sued them for, I dunno, some kind of copywright over his image I suppose, and quite right too.

I listened to the Willard DVD commentary to hear what he was like, and he was kind of whiny but funny with it. I like him.

Actually i was thinking Alan Cumming might be great as the Joker, mainly on the strength of his performance as the Willy Wonker-esque Fagan Floop in Spy Kids...

...then i checked his filmography, and found out he was Nightcrawler in X Men 2 :D

He'd be so cool.

I don't think an edgy/crazy/quirky/etc. actor is needed to play the Joker, rather a solid actor who can play all the aforementioned elements without camping it up.

My Vote goes for Danny Huston:

Danny Huston

I'd go for some really off the wall casting - how about Kevin Costner as the Joker?

Or Christopher Eccleston maybe?

Mike Reid?

"'ere Bats, you're 'avvvin' a larrrrffff"

Ah well - pros and cons: No Williams but no Glover either:

Ledger's Joker to take on Batman

Brokeback Mountain star Heath Ledger will play The Joker in the next Batman film, titled The Dark Knight, film studio Warner Brothers has announced.

The Australian actor reprises the role memorably played by Jack Nicholson in 1989's Batman film.

Ledger earned an Oscar nomination as a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain.

British actor Christian Bale will play the Caped Crusader for a second time after last year's Batman Begins, with Christopher Nolan again directing.

Casting challenge

It will be the sixth Batman film since his 1989 return, with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney having played the role prior to Bale.

The Dark Knight is scheduled to go into production next year.

"Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless," said Memento director Nolan.

"Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Ledger's other films include The Brothers Grimm, Ned Kelly, Monster's Ball, A Knight's Tale and The Patriot.

----------
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 237328.stm

Published: 2006/08/02 08:33:08 GMT

© BBC MMVI

I'm absolutely gutted. And you may quote me on that.

Ledger's a bit on the young side isn't he?

Ledger's a bit on the young side isn't he?

And a bit too pretty as well. He's gonna need some impressive acting chops to convince us he's the Joker.

If they needed an Aussie for the role, what the hell's wrong with Bruce Spence? I mean, just look at 'im (if you can find a piccy anywhere) - those teeth! Those eyes!

Ah well. To paraphrase George Burns: 'The problem with films is that all the really great movie producers are too busy having discussions on the Internet.'

Well, I think it's a good thing. Shows consideration with the casting rather than just lumping for something who may physically resemble the role. Given the Scarecrow in the 1st movie, there's indication of where they'll be taking this. Sounds all very "Killing Joke".

Can't wait.

Sounds all very "Killing Joke"

Ooooh, lets hope so. Maybe we'll get the 'man in the red hood' backstory worked into it, i'd prefer a decent take on the tragic/insane joker to the usual plain evil version...

BlackRiverFalls said:

Ooooh, lets hope so. Maybe we'll get the 'man in the red hood' backstory worked into it, i'd prefer a decent take on the tragic/insane joker to the usual plain evil version...
minute I heard it was him, and given what has gone before, it's clear we're not getting a Nickelson or Caeser Romero Joker, we're getting the Killing Joke (with Arkham asylum style make up). I can imagine they'll yellow his pupils, have red eyeliner dripping down his chalk white skin, yellow teeth etc. Ledger, too pretty? I can imagine he'd look pretty frightening.

Considering Ledger was bloody awful in Brokeback Mountain (I mean, could anyone really make out what he was saying? "Mumble mumble...") I'm very disappointed that he's the choice for the Joker.

Hmmm...

didn't see Brokeback Mountain. He's been OK in almost everything else, though, so gimme an hour or two with a photoshopalike and we'll see if we can't change your mind...

pics to come!

smallheathsl9.th.jpg

There we go. Rough and ready, but Heath Ledger in a Jokeresque manner.

BlackRiverFalls said:

well his photo on imdb looks very reminisent of the joker before he became the joker in the killing joke

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005132/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Killing_Joke

perhaps thats why he was cast, lets face it as the joker he'll have a lot of make up on (wonder if they use that for the next max factor ad, it'd beat memories of a geisha) so what he looks like normally for the flashbacks would be the most important aspect in the casting.

Hope they don't ruin it by putting robin in yet.

I'm behind this all the way - Ledger was excellent in Lords of Dogtown, where he had a little more of a character to work with. I would have liked Paul Bettany though, as he looks exactly like the Dark Knight Returns version of the Joker even without make-up!

minute I heard it was him, and given what has gone before, it's clear we're not getting a Nickelson or Caeser Romero Joker, we're getting the Killing Joke (with Arkham asylum style make up). I can imagine they'll yellow his pupils, have red eyeliner dripping down his chalk white skin, yellow teeth etc. Ledger, too pretty? I can imagine he'd look pretty frightening.

He'll look just like a 1980s New Romantic, and you know it!

As long as they don't go by the new 'the batman' cartoons charactor design for the joker I think everyone will be happy

24gr5o6.jpg

That is NOT the joker

oll_lewis said:
As long as they don't go by the new 'the batman' cartoons charactor design for the joker I think everyone will be happy

24gr5o6.jpg

That is NOT the joker

oh god i bloody hate that joker and its not how the joker looks.

filming for part 2 has started... in Hong Kong!

Batman swaps Gotham City for Hong Kong

Filming for the new Batman movie has started, but not in the usual location of Gotham City.

The production for the The Dark Knight will see Batman, played by Christian Bale for the second time, take his heroic action antics out of his hometown to Hong Kong.

The cast and crew of the new instalment are filming several scenes in the city, and residents have been clamouring to get a glimpse of the caped crusader.

Director Christopher Nolan explained why he's setting his latest gothic adventure in Japan.

He said: "I felt it would be a very interesting thing to take this iconic American character and put him somewhere else in the world and in looking for an appreciate location for that I immediately thought of Hong Kong because I think it is such an incredibly cosmopolitan place."

Bale, 33, explained that he was looking forward to scaling Hong Kong's skyline in his black catsuit: "I look forward to climbing to the top of your highest buildings and jumping off of them as Batman."

A sequel to 2005's Batman Begins, The Dark Knight will see the comic book hero tackling a new criminal nemesis in the form of Heath Ledger's Joker.

© Independent Television News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.

Virgin Media

Have I missed something? Is Hong Kong now in Japan? Is the new movie set in Japan but filmed in Hong Kong, perhaps...

Also, I like this rather simplistic paragraph:
Bale, 33, explained that he was looking forward to scaling Hong Kong's skyline in his black catsuit: "I look forward to climbing to the top of your highest buildings and jumping off of them as Batman."
I can't quite put my finger on what's odd about that, apart from the feeling this piece written as part of an English essay by an eleven year old.

Anyway, looking forward to it. I thought Batman Begins was jolly good :).

It´s not a catsuit, it´s a batsuit! I think Bale was just trying to be funny with that comment he made.
Why is he in Japan/Hong Kong though, does he have any enemies there?

I can't quite put my finger on what's odd about that, apart from the feeling this piece written as part of an English essay by an eleven year old.

he has to jump off of the buildings as batman 'cos if he jumped off as himself he'd go splat :p

HK `is` in Japan now, havent you heard?

Pretty much the best anime is made there

Back