• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

North Carolina child’s ‘monster in the closet’ was in fact bees in the wall

A toddler told her mom that “monsters” were in her closet. But in fact, there were more than 50,000 bees there.

Beekeepers ultimately removed tens of thousands of bees over several extractions, and a honeycomb weighing more than 100lb.

For roughly eight months, a swarm of honeybees had been building a hive inside the wall of her daughter’s room.

After a visit by a pest control company and multiple beekeepers, a thermal camera finally revealed where the bees had gone – to a massive hive they had built inside the wall of her daughter’s room, where the girl was convinced she had heard a monster of some kind lurking.

The beekeeper “didn’t even have his bee gear on yet, but he took a hammer and knocked into the wall”, Massis Class recalled. “Bees came swarming out like a horror movie.

“There were streams of bees, and the wall where he hit was oozing honey. But it looked like blood because it was really, really dark, running down my daughter’s pink walls. It looked really strange.”

The bees were relocated to a bee sanctuary.

In addition to the work to remove the bees, there will also be repairs to Massis Class’s home. The bees and their oozing honey caused about $20,000 worth of damage to electrical wires, which the family homeowner’s insurance will not cover.

Vid at link.

A bee swarm delayed the start of the Major League Baseball match between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Los Angeles Dodgers for almost two hours.

Five minutes before play was scheduled to begin a swarm of bees descended on the top of the protective netting behind the home plate.

Beekeeper Matt Hilton was called in and was lifted 30 feet into the air to the post where the bees had swarmed at Chase Field in Phoenix.

Hilton, who had been about to watch his six-year-old son play a baseball game when he received a call, sprayed and vacuumed the bees away.

"We know this was really important to get this game going, so when we heard there's a bee issue out at the Diamondbacks’ stadium, we tried to get at it right away," he said.

The crowd cheered Hilton as he cleared the bees and 'Holding out for a hero' by Bonnie Tyler was played over the speakers as he worked.

"I wasn't expecting that - I thought I was just going to do my thing and cruise out. But it was fun," added Hilton, who threw the ceremonial first pitch to get the match going.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/baseball/articles/c9wzjv8xdvwo

Back