• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
This bird is half male, half female.

1702638493781.png

'
A striking and extremely rare half female, half male bird has been spotted by a University of Otago zoologist.

Hamish Spencer image

Sesquicentennial Distinguished Professor Hamish Spencer.

Sesquicentennial Distinguished Professor Hamish Spencer was holidaying in Colombia when an amateur ornithologist John Murillo pointed out a wild Green Honeycreeper with distinct half green, or female, and half blue, male, plumage.

“Many birdwatchers could go their whole lives and not see a bilateral gynandromorph in any species of bird. The phenomenon is extremely rare in birds, I know of no examples from New Zealand ever.

“It is very striking, I was very privileged to see it,” Professor Spencer says.

Photographs of the bird make the discovery even more significant as they are “arguably the best of a wild bilateral gynandromorphic bird of any species ever”.

A report on the find, only the second recorded example of gynandromorphism in the species in more than 100 years, has just been published in the Journal of Field Ornithology.

Professor Spencer says gynandromorphs – animals with both male and female characteristics in a species that usually have separate sexes – are important for our understanding of sex determination and sexual behaviour in birds.

The main groups in which the phenomenon has been recorded include animal species which feature strong sexual dimorphism; most often insects, especially butterflies, crustaceans, spiders, even lizards and rodents.

“This particular example of bilateral gynandromorphy – male one side and female the other – shows that, as in several other species, either side of the bird can be male or female.

“The phenomenon arises from an error during female cell division to produce an egg, followed by double-fertilization by two sperm,” he explains.

He hopes the novel discovery will inspire people to “treasure exceptions” as they always reveal something interesting.

“Be always on the lookout for oddities – who will find the first New Zealand example of a bilateral gynandromorph in a bird?”'

I'm trying to decode the 'Sesquicentennial Distinguished' bit.

Sesquicentennial mean celebrating 150 years. Add onto that 'distinguished' and a persons name???

It makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
I can't either. I still would prefer Captain Pugwash.

To me it's a story about nothing except that some highly qualified 150 year celebratory distinguished scientist is getting off on it.

No one can possibly know it it happens very rarely, rarely, sometimes, of moderately frequently. It's claimed it is a 1 in a 100 year event. How can any prove that?

To me the interesting thing is that it happened and the pictures show both colours but as always, the scientist has to be shown to be there out in front. It all has no value without the modern day guru's of the religion of science.

The Sesquicentennial Distinguished Chair is an academic award that the University of Otago created to mark it's 150th anniversary for academics who are outstanding in their fields etc.

https://www.otago.ac.nz/otagobullet...istinguished-chair-appointments-to-mark-150th

Sorry, I am not impressed but there again, I'm am rarely impressed by academia. That is a thing about me. I am possibly wrong in my view point and I understand that. I am biased.

Thank you so much for explaining the mystery. It's a pity the news article didn't' explain it.

I'm still not impressed and I think, so what? All those qualifications and he still cannot explain love, or compassion and etc.

Thank you again for the link.

I wasn't aware we'd asked him to :)
You are right, we didn't. My statement was badly worded. I meant more in the lines of science can't explain even the most basic facets about being human yet it holds so dear to qualification and scientific investigation.

Yes, I know I am biased.

Bilaterally Gynandromorphic Green Honeycreepers,​

Bilaterally Gynandromorphic Green Honeycreepers,​

Bilaterally Gynandromorphic Green Honeycreepers….​

To be honest, I can’t see this cartoon show taking off.
Not even with strategically placed metal guitar intro theme song riffs?.

Genes and associated stuff do amazing, complex and unexpected things. I am fascinated by it!

In humans, other animals and plants, Chimera-ism and Mosaic genetic happenings are quite common (but the person may not even be aware they are affected).

Human occurrences include Mosaic Down Syndrome, human Chimerism - which can result in a person having 2 co-existent blood groups, or Mosaic Male/Female which is similar (but not as obvious) to some intersex conditions but the woman/man may appear slightly more masculine/feminine.

Most non-identical twin pregnancies result in a degree of chimerism between the fetuses - even if only one fetus eventually makes it to full-term - the remaining twin will have some genes of their sibling alongside those inherited from the parents.

More interestingly interesting info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chimera

I feel that using isolating language is screaming 'look how clever I am everyone'. It doesn't impress me personally, plain English is preferred.

Genes and associated stuff do amazing, complex and unexpected things. I am fascinated by it!

In humans, other animals and plants, Chimera-ism and Mosaic genetic happenings are quite common (but the person may not even be aware they are affected).

Human occurrences include Mosaic Down Syndrome, human Chimerism - which can result in a person having 2 co-existent blood groups, or Mosaic Male/Female which is similar (but not as obvious) to some intersex conditions but the woman/man may appear slightly more masculine/feminine.

Most non-identical twin pregnancies result in a degree of chimerism between the fetuses - even if only one fetus eventually makes it to full-term - the remaining twin will have some genes of their sibling alongside those inherited from the parents.

More interestingly interesting info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chimera

Replying to my own post here, as I read something (falling down a few wikiholes) that hints that Andrei Chikatilo had some Chimeric genetics; the notorious Soviet-era serial killer was several times ruled out as an earlier prime suspect as the killer's semen tested as blood type AB, and his blood type was tested as A, which was confirmed several times after his arrest and jailing. They tested his semen (don't ask me how) and yes it was type AB, suggesting he had some genetic material transfer before birth.

Being that it is often the male birds who have the song, I wonder what it's voice is like - male or female.

I would think that it may not reproduce. If only because colouration and song are usually how mates are found.

Back