Birds: Miscellaneous Notes, Observations, Etc.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
I’ve just started noticing some birds have recently started singing at close to 11.45pm each night. They're quite punctual - just now noticed them starting at 11.36. Not full on but sporadic. Don’t know what kind of birds. They keep it up for a few hours.

I know birds have started singing when there’s less traffic to compete with but the fact I haven’t noticed it before at this time leads me to think it’s a fairly new thing round here. I’m not on a busy road & it’s pretty quiet long before 11.45.
I've noticed that the blackbirds (Merula) are singing in the dark around 20.00. That's strange, because it is neither the time nor season for birdsong.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I’ve just started noticing some birds have recently started singing at close to 11.45pm each night. They're quite punctual - just now noticed them starting at 11.36. Not full on but sporadic. Don’t know what kind of birds. They keep it up for a few hours.

I know birds have started singing when there’s less traffic to compete with but the fact I haven’t noticed it before at this time leads me to think it’s a fairly new thing round here. I’m not on a busy road & it’s pretty quiet long before 11.45.

Effects of light pollution, maybe? Round here there are so many dazzling security lights I'm surprised the birds and animals get any sleep at all.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Went to the park and visited the bird houses. I'm always surprised how little the budgies mind the frost.
They have heating but don't use it at all:
1640200105610.png

While the zebra finches are all clustered around their radiator:1640200175387.png

hunck

Antediluvian

Thousands of cranes killed by bird flu in 'worst blow to wildlife' in Israel's history

An outbreak of avian flu has killed more than 5,000 migratory cranes in Israel, prompting authorities to declare a popular nature reserve off-limits to visitors and warn of a possible egg shortage as poultry birds are culled as a precaution.

"This is the worst blow to wildlife in the country's history," Environment Minister Tamar Zandberg tweeted as rangers in hazardous material suits collected carcasses of the cranes from the lake at the Hula Nature Reserve and outlying marshes.

Hundreds of thousands of chickens had been culled, she said.
Authorities were looking to ease import quotas and bring in eggs from abroad to head off an egg shortage due to the cull.

Sid

Justified & Ancient
I've noticed that the blackbirds (Merula) are singing in the dark around 20.00. That's strange, because it is neither the time nor season for birdsong.
Probably a rave'n the dark!

Last edited: