• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bizarre Tourist Attractions

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
These crop up in other threads from time to time, but I don't think we've got a dedicated one, so this is a thread for peculiar or just spectacularly disappointing tourist attractions.

To kick off, I'm intrigued by Collectors World (sic), Apparently "A highly popular tourist attraction in Norfolk", featuring the Magical Dickens Experience ("Do you like Dickens?" "I've never been to one", etc), an an old cobblers shop (could they have phrased that better, or are they just being honest?) and the fantastically sinister Personality Rooms - just read the line-up!

What an ace place! Anyone been?

Edit - I looked for some reviews online, and the sainted Charlie Brooker mentions it here:
The Sainted Charlie Brooker said:
..It consisted of room upon room of bizarre, apparently unrelated artefacts. There was a "Pink Room" dedicated to Barbara Cartland, a telephone museum, a collection of antique cars, some sort of hideous-sounding "gynaecological chair", and best of all, a hall filled solely with memorabilia relating to the actor Liza Goddard, which apparently included pullovers and a mug she'd once drunk out of. Exhilarating and frightening in equal measure, I'd imagine, especially if you're Liza Goddard yourself.

I've just got to go!!

There's a plethora of information on this kind of stuff on the web -- Roadside America, for instance.

Coincidentally, Roadside America, is a prime example.

Confused? Then we've got our journey off to a good start.

I bet they have hot chicks posing on tractors though. To get the drooling farmers to buy them.(The tractors I mean.)

ramonmercado said:
I bet they have hot chicks posing on tractors though. To get the drooling farmers to buy them.(The tractors I mean.)
That’s illegal! Sweden is a free country!

I think this fits here:

'Dark tourism' study centre launched by university
By Sean Coughlan, BBC News education correspondent

"Dark tourism" - where visitors travel to sites of death, brutality and terror - is to be the subject of a dedicated centre for academic research at the University of Central Lancashire.
The Institute for Dark Tourism Research is said to be the world's first such academic centre.

Researchers say they want to examine why people "feel compelled to visit sites like Auschwitz or Ground Zero".
Director Philip Stone says such places make people face their "own mortality".

The institute, which is being launched on Tuesday, will look at the relationship between places with terrible associations - and tourists who use their leisure time to visit them.
Dr Stone says that this includes places such as the site of the 9/11 attacks in New York, Nazi concentration camps and the sites of disasters such as the Chernobyl nuclear accident in the Ukraine.

He says that going to such places becomes a form of "secular pilgrimage", with people feeling they need to visit them.
Dr Stone says his research suggests that visitors want to find some kind of meaning in these places of suffering.
Visitors try to empathise with victims and imagine the motivations of the perpetrators, he says, and then visitors have a sense of relief that they can step back into the safety of their own lives.
"People feel anxious before - and then better when they leave, glad that it's not them," says the centre's executive director.

His research has looked at people who visit such sites as part of a wider holiday, rather than people who have specifically travelled to see them.
He describes a couple who reported that they only went to the Ground Zero site at the end of a visit to New York, because going any earlier would have upset them for the rest of the holiday.
But they still clearly felt compelled to visit, he says.

Any scene of disaster or violence is going to have an uneasy relationship with tourism - in terms of how sensitively such events are presented, and how visitors are expected to behave.
But he says the "packaging" of such sites can be what people experience, rather than a recognition of the awful real-life events which are being commemorated.
There is a "blurred line between memorialisation and tourism", he says.

He also believes that an important part of the attraction of such grim places is to allow people to consider death, from a comfortable distance.
In a culture that usually removes death from the public domain, such different places share a common link as scenes strongly associated with the loss of life, he says.
"It's a way for a secular society to reconnect with death."

Dr Stone, who worked in the tourism industry before becoming an academic, says that there is a long history of dark tourism.
"It's always been there. You could say that a medieval execution was an early form of dark tourism."

More than 100 delegates from around the world will attend an inaugural symposium at the university.
Among the future research plans are to look at people who made trips to see the damage caused by earthquakes in Italy, and to examine the visitor industry around the Pendle Witches in Lancashire.
"Four hundred years ago they were innocent people who were killed. Now they're a tourist destination," says Dr Stone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17814100

What a fascinating subject for study, and very worthy too. Must admit to being a bit of a 'dark tourist' myself. Auschwitz was great, you can go on a regular service bus from Krakow.

rynner2 said:
I think this fits here:

"Dark tourism" - where visitors travel to sites of death, brutality and terror - is to be the subject of a dedicated centre for academic research at the University of Central Lancashire.
The Institute for Dark Tourism Research is said to be the world's first such academic centre.

Researchers say they want to examine why people "feel compelled to visit sites like Auschwitz or Ground Zero".

The institute, which is being launched on Tuesday, will look at the relationship between places with terrible associations - and tourists who use their leisure time to visit them.
Dr Stone says that this includes places such as the site of the 9/11 attacks in New York, Nazi concentration camps and the sites of disasters such as the Chernobyl nuclear accident in the Ukraine.

He says that going to such places becomes a form of "secular pilgrimage", with people feeling they need to visit them.
Dr Stone says his research suggests that visitors want to find some kind of meaning in these places of suffering.
Visitors try to empathise with victims and imagine the motivations of the perpetrators, he says, and then visitors have a sense of relief that they can step back into the safety of their own lives.
"People feel anxious before - and then better when they leave, glad that it's not them," says the centre's executive director.

His research has looked at people who visit such sites as part of a wider holiday, rather than people who have specifically travelled to see them.
He describes a couple who reported that they only went to the Ground Zero site at the end of a visit to New York, because going any earlier would have upset them for the rest of the holiday.

Any scene of disaster or violence is going to have an uneasy relationship with tourism - in terms of how sensitively such events are presented, and how visitors are expected to behave.
But he says the "packaging" of such sites can be what people experience, rather than a recognition of the awful real-life events which are being commemorated.

He also believes that an important part of the attraction of such grim places is to allow people to consider death, from a comfortable distance.
In a culture that usually removes death from the public domain, such different places share a common link as scenes strongly associated with the loss of life, he says.

Dr Stone, who worked in the tourism industry before becoming an academic, says that there is a long history of dark tourism.
"It's always been there. You could say that a medieval execution was an early form of dark tourism."

More than 100 delegates from around the world will attend an inaugural symposium at the university.
Among the future research plans are to look at people who made trips to see the damage caused by earthquakes in Italy, and to examine the visitor industry around the Pendle Witches in Lancashire.
"Four hundred years ago they were innocent people who were killed. Now they're a tourist destination," says Dr Stone.

It is an undoubtedly interesting topic, and would make a good FT article, or a dissertation for a student already on a Tourism course... But does it really need an institute...?

McAvennie_ said:
rynner2 said:
I think this fits here:

It is an undoubtedly interesting topic, and would make a good FT article, or a dissertation for a student already on a Tourism course... But does it really need an institute...?

Theres always a need for more well paid jobs in Social Research. :)

An odd coincidence connected with Dark Tourism: a few hours after posting that story, I resumed reading my current crime novel, in which a group of students, sharing a house, discover it was the scene of a gruesome mass murder back in 1896. And one of the students says, "This is great! We can open up the place to ghoulish tourists. People love that sort of thing.."!

(Book is Kissing the Demons, by Kate Ellis, 2011)

I was on the isle of Man last week, and visited a place called The Chasms.

Its NT property, and consists of some cracks on the top of the cliff.

Apparently the victorians liked the place. (Much of IOM attractions are very victorian.)

There is a warning sign on the gate; For once I think it was underdone. You really have to watch every step and make sure you put you feet down where you can see where they are going...

I could post a few pics if any of you really wanted to see some cracks in the ground...

Kondoru said:
I could post a few pics if any of you really wanted to see some cracks in the ground...

Please do!

042.jpg

053.jpg

The cafe is now derilict, sadly

045-1.jpg

Did he come a cropper here?????

049-1.jpg

Great pics, Kondoru!

Is the territory unstable as well as all cut up?

SHAYBARSABE said:
Great pics, Kondoru!

Is the territory unstable as well as all cut up?

Just watched The Thing (2011), expecting monsters in the cracks.

I dont think so, its good slate rocks

nor are there any monsters, Choughs, maybe

Explore the World’s Most Morbid Tourist Attractions

It may seem strange that someone would want to visit the site of a mass execution, natural disaster, or nuclear meltdown. However many tourists travel to such destinations around the globe every year. Why they go is anyone’s guess—is it from a desire to honor the dead, learn from history, or simply morbid curiosity?

Ambroise Tézenas started pondering these questions when he read that the Queen of the Sea—a Sri Lankan train destroyed by the 2004 tsunami in what was one of the worst rail accidents in recent history—had become something of a tourist attraction. Tézenas had been in Sri Lanka photographing the aftermath of the tsunami four years earlier, and couldn’t reconcile his memories of death and destruction with people’s fascination with the site.

This dichotomy prompted Tézenas’ research into dark tourism, an industry that draws travelers worldwide to the scenes of some of history’s worst accidents and atrocities. The more he learned about humanity’s fascination with evil and death, the more he wanted to photograph it.
http://www.wired.com/2015/01/ambroise-tezenas-i-was-here/?mbid=social_fb

I really liked Neil Gaimain's treatment of bizarre tourist attractions in American Gods - the idea being that in the old world, these would have been places of power, holy wells and such, but Americans, being cut off from our roots and ancestral deities, just built something peculiar there instead.

I can buy that explanation, actually!

I can guarantee that anyone visiting the Lake District pencil museum will be mildly disappointed when seeing The World's Second Biggest Pencil.

I can guarantee that anyone visiting the Lake District pencil museum will be mildly disappointed when seeing The World's Second Biggest Pencil.

Bah, you beat me to it!

A couple of friends visited this attraction many years ago, whilst staying in Maryport on the rainiest week in about thirty years. The trip yielded, if not very many happy memories, a couple of priceless souvenirs:

1) A postcard on which was simply written

FUCK
MARYPORT

2) A photograph of one of said friends standing next to the giant pencil with a look of intermingled irritation, boredom, contempt, resignation, defiance and self-pity on her face that makes me laugh out loud to this day.

Regarding this 'Mystery Spot' thingy.

Isn't there a stretch of road somewhere in the UK where things seem to roll uphill?

I think it could be Ireland I'm thinking about, I have vague memories of Dave Allen visiting it on the telly.

vague memories of Dave Allen visiting it
I had no idea he ever did anything off his bar-stool. Dave's (almost) final joke:
"We spend our lives on the run. We get up by the clock, eat and sleep by the clock, go to work by the clock, get up again, go to work – and then we retire. And what do they fucking give us? A clock."

Back