• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bricks, Dung, Sharks & Unmade Beds: The World Of 'Modern Art'

Bleedin copycats.
The original banana eater should have copyrighted the act as a piece of performance art.

It had, back in 2019 but history has repeated itself. Hence why I won't be taping bananas to the wall for my next exhibition.
Can happen with bananas,:puke2:

Octopus Teapot by Japanese ceramic artist Keiko Masumoto.

FxwiA44WAAEDoaj.jpeg.jpg

Barnes, Albert (American chemist and art collector, 1872–1951). Barnes amassed a huge modern art collection, but his hatred of the art world establishment meant that he refused or limited access to scholars who travelled to Pennsylvania to see it. One art historian was made to wait outside while his dog was admitted.

Mr Key's Shorter Potted Brief, Brief Lives
Frank Key

From this excellent book:
The Devil in the Gallery: How Scandal, Shock, and Rivalry Shaped the Art World
Noah Charney
Martin J. Kemp
(Foreword)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55898021-the-devil-in-the-gallery?ref=nav_sb_ss_1_13

JAŠA was giving a talk on art theory in Milan in 2011 to an audience of art lovers. The talk was going well, and then he began throwing empty beer bottles out into the audience. He had calculated where to throw them and how hard so he could be sure not to hit anyone, but the audience felt they were in danger and were shocked by the sudden shift in the dynamic of the situation. They had expected to attend a theoretical lecture in which they would sit, safely and quietly and in the position of power, listening to and judging the artist’s words and considering whether they agreed or not. Suddenly he was hostile, forcing the audience to participate and be active, the spotlight shone upon them. As he predicted, half the audience hated him for it and half were blown away by it.49 Sometimes an artist can even shock members of the art world, if they can be caught unawares.

Does this fit here? Uri Geller has been involved with the bridge in the past.

Mystery 'flood-line' telephone appears on Sonning Bridge​

Sonning Bridge phone
IMAGE COPYRIGHT WOKINGHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL. image caption It is not yet known who is behind the latest addition to the bridge

A telephone has mysteriously appeared on the side of a bridge in the middle of the River Thames.

The white wall-style phone with an "Emergency Flood Line" sign has been placed on a buttress on Sonning Bridge. Wokingham Borough Council posted on Facebook: "If you ever have flooding concerns call Floodline (no, not on that phone)". Artist, Impro, has been behind previous art installations on the bridge which include a postbox and a front door.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-57292368
Urinal art installation appears.

A urinal on the side of Sonning Bridge.
IMAGE SOURCE,I MPRO Image caption, The urinal is the latest in a series of art installations on Sonning Bridge

A urinal has appeared on the side of a bridge in an apparent protest at the water quality of the River Thames.

The installation has been added to Sonning Bridge, in Berkshire, by the anonymous artist Impro. It is the latest in a string of works he has attached to the side of the same bridge, with previous additions including a telephone and a post box.

The artist joked his latest work was causing the council to ask questions about the urinal's usefulness. Impro also directly referenced Thames Water, which has recently faced criticism over sewage discharges and leaks.

Other works by Impro include Santa Claus seemingly stuck in a giant post box on an Oxfordshire roundabout last December.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-66408546

I'd love to figure out a way to stand in front of that, looking like I was having a wee.

'Vomit Painter' throws up on canvas to create Jackson Pollock-style splatter paintings

One young artist has pushed them to a whole new level after mastering the art of regurgitation to create colourful, abstract canvases.

Millie Brown, 26, drinks milk tinted with vivid dyes before regurgitating the liquid over a large canvas or white clothing and recording the process on camera.

article-2325544-19D0A265000005DC-144_634x636.jpg

A famous fan of Millie's - unsurprisingly - is Lady Gaga, who personally chose the artist to feature in her own performance video.

Millie is debuting her work in the show Muted Chronology at the Strand Gallery in London.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ackson-Pollock-style-art-Lady-Gaga-loves.html

maximus otter

Even though I dislike her 'art', I do hope we don't hear about the artist's untimely death due to ingestion of poisonous dyes.

Probably literally in this case, unless they're wearing goggles.
More likely they see it as an investment.
This strange issue was raised in two Agatha Christie stories (the Granada productions).
In one (Dead Man's Mirror) the rich guy purchased the antique mirror only because Poirot wanted it.
The other that springs to mind is Underdog, where the ruthless industrialist collected antique Belgian bronzes (which Poirot loved) as an investment and couldn't care less if they were melted down.

I hope they claw back everything they paid to this fraudster.

I'm all for an artist producing a work which is purchased.

But when staff unpacked the newly delivered works, they found two empty frames with the title Take the Money and Run [...] The museum put the new artworks on display, but when Haaning declined to return the money, it took legal action.

Firstly, he was a pretentious idiot for doing this. Literally, wanting money for doing nothing. Let's face it, even the frames weren't that valuable.
Secondly, they were idiots for paying in advance. That they actually put them on display and then decided they had been ripped off is equally pathetic.

I'm all for an artist producing a work which is purchased.

Firstly, he was a pretentious idiot for doing this. Literally, wanting money for doing nothing. Let's face it, even the frames weren't that valuable.
Secondly, they were idiots for paying in advance. That they actually put them on display and then decided they had been ripped off is equally pathetic.
They didn't pay in advance exactly. The notes were given to him so that he could mount them in the frames as an artwork. They thought it was funny so mounted the artwork anyway then asked for the notes back. And that is where we are now.

Back