• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bricks, Dung, Sharks & Unmade Beds: The World Of 'Modern Art'

Some modern art is really cool.
A lot seems just a scam.

Apparently, I'm neither rich enough nor educated enough to always tell the difference correctly, lol :)

That's really is an impressive piece of engineering and functional form! :clap:

2c7c798dbb4525964c797baaa6f9f403.jpg

Some modern art is really cool.
A lot seems just a scam.
At the high end, most of it is used for money laundering.
A piece of old crap with no intrinsic value is assigned a massive retail price. Then somebody wealthy comes along and buys it.
The 'art' is used as a medium of exchange, allowing large amounts of money to change hands and obscuring the financial details behind a veneer of respectability.
The 'artist' is only incidentally a beneficiary of such an exchange.

At the high end, most of it is used for money laundering.
A piece of old crap with no intrinsic value is assigned a massive retail price. Then somebody wealthy comes along and buys it.
The 'art' is used as a medium of exchange, allowing large amounts of money to change hands and obscuring the financial details behind a veneer of respectability.
The 'artist' is only incidentally a beneficiary of such an exchange.
Agree 100%. Most times the buyer is anonymous.

I think he could just as easily used an extra oversized paint brush and achieved exactly the same end results on this one. The dangly girl was probably used just to make people look at it in the first place! :dunno:
Wasn't there a modern artist that used a punctured paint can, swung on a rope over a large canvas?
I get the idea of abstract art - not my kind of thing, but there you go - but this seems like 'changing' the paintbrush in order to create controversy? Discussion? Outrage?
"Make it a naked woman and you'll get the press flocking to you!"
Why was she naked? Why was she still wearing panties if her being nude was 'essential'? What about using a bloke with long hair?
Seems to me that the artist is more concerned with how the painting was created rather than what he was creating.

New Vienna fountain. People make fun of it, but I like it. It may become popular I bet:

1698790769218.png

1698790784439.png

Another fountain design of the GELATIN group had to be removed from public space after protests:

1698790830809.png

Whoever said art should be tasteful? It’s following in the tradition of the pissing boy & girl statues in Brussels, which also has this dog, forever lifting its leg on a bollard, although no piss is forthcoming.

1698801662321.png

Another pissing statue is this one, Proudy, by Cerny in Prague. The penises are computer controlled & the ‘piss streams' spell out Czech literary quotes.

anyone in the world can interrupt their constant quotes by sending their own message via text message to a number (+420 724 370 770) on a plaque near the statue. The statues will interrupt their programmed movement and spell out the words sent to them.

the basin the figures relieve themselves into is itself worth noting, as it is shaped like a map of Czechia. These guys aren’t just peeing into a fountain, but onto the country itself. Provocation achieved.
1698801713087.png
1698801758803.png

"It's not just a pile of rubbish - it's how it's placed" said someone excusing the cost.
Nice money for someone to be raised out of obscurity. Lessons for up and coming graduates? "Forget composition and technique - raid a skip!"

l nearly posted that, but decided that it would have been almost impossible to do so without including the jejune politics.

lf anyone feels inclined, l’m sure that if a generator were to be connected to his corpse in St. Paul’s cathedral, the spinning would produce enough electricity to power much of the City of London.

maximus otter

Just listened to him being interview on R4.
He's got some nice intentions and thought behind the work - he makes them for a punchline rather than a message.
My point is, though, his medium. He's clever enough, but I'd be more impressed if he worked in photography or painting. My taste entirely, but using found junk to create a message seems like zero skill to communicate a message.
It's funny how he now lives and has a studio in Germany, as he can't afford to work here.

Just listened to him being interview on R4.
He's got some nice intentions and thought behind the work - he makes them for a punchline rather than a message.
My point is, though, his medium. He's clever enough, but I'd be more impressed if he worked in photography or painting. My taste entirely, but using found junk to create a message seems like zero skill to communicate a message.
It's funny how he now lives and has a studio in Germany, as he can't afford to work here.
In my opinion it falls under the banner of. . . Artificial Art!

Back