• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cadburys Flake Lady Had An E And Went Mad

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I just remembered this one that was doing the rounds at the time, i think around mid 90s.

There used to be an advert on TV for Flake that had a woman in a big bath eating it in the middle of an enormous room with epic music, i think sort of it was implying a connection between eating ripple in the bath and having an orgasm, but i can;t find the ad on youtube.

The rumour a few months later was that the lady who was in the bath went to a party and someone put an E in her drink, and she ended up in a mental institution.

Anyone else hear this one?

Edit, i was looking for ripple by mistake, here it is:

Flake Epic Bath Advert

Not heard that one, but how would taking an E land you in a mental institution? Sounds a bit farfetched, are you sure it wasn't LSD?

This annoying website that has a noisy pop-up and requires registration to read the full article (I couldn't be bothered)-
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-60424657.html
seems to confirm it:

RACHEL BROWN was the focus of millions of men's dreams as the Cadbury's Flake girl.

It was the 31-year-old model's big break into stardom - luxuriating in a bubble bath, sensuously biting into flakey chocolate, and fuelling male fantasies galore.

But a promising career - which climaxed in a Vogue cover - quickly became a nightmare after Rachel became a victim of designer drug Ecstasy.

After earning pounds 5000 for the ad in 1993 and a further pounds 10,000 a year in repeat fees, she ended up in a psychiatric hospital after her drink was allegedly …
but that's the only reference I can find.

Just about any psychoactive drug can trigger a psychotic episode in someone with an underlying problem, they reckon. Remember all that moral panic about 'skunk and schizophrenia'?

BlackRiverFalls said:
I think sort of it was implying a connection between eating ripple in the bath and having an orgasm, but i can;t find the ad on youtube.

Wasn't it a lizard scuttling across a old black telephone?

Just typing that makes me feel dirty...

Different Ad, I think, Yith.
She was just sitting moodily on a windowsill in that one, iirc.

I always liked that one (from the 70s?) where it rained on the watercolour painting in a field.

I dunno why the Flake ads were considered to be sooo sexy, they were, after all, only film of birds scoffing chocolate. (Should have had film of good old lardy British girls moaning about their gunts after pigging too many Flake bars )

Now, I had an idea for a Mars Bar ad that really was charged with dreamy soft focus eroticism, although Mars' solicitors said in their injunction that my idea was unhygeinic, perverse and probably illegal in some countries, and if I used their product for such a film, they would come down on me with the full force of their legal dept. I took that as a "Thanks but no thanks", bloody spoilsports. I'm sure Mick Jagger would have done the music.

Thinking of chocolate ads, I never decided whether Terry's (or whatever they are called these days) scored an own goal by having Dawn French advertise their White Chocolate Orange, she's not exactly "average" size, or "cuddly", even by British standards, more "Morbidly Obese", though I guess she qualifies as "jolly", so that makes it alright, apparently.
No, I never got past the fact they called it a "Snowball", the thought of which, I can tell you, turns my stomach. I'm a man of the world and will try most things, but snowballing.......eeeew, that's just nasty. Something about that Ms French's evil grin as she did her ad made me quite sure she knew full well the significance of the name, dirty cow!

You weren't standing outside The Red Lion yesterday evening by any chance were you?

Being the innocent I am, I had to google snowballing :oops:

OMG curse the power of the interweb!

LordRsmacker said:
I dunno why the Flake ads were considered to be sooo sexy, they were, after all, only film of birds scoffing chocolate. (Should have had film of good old lardy British girls moaning about their gunts after pigging too many Flake bars )

The spirit of J. Peasemold Gruntfuttock, making his presence felt, on the Forum?

The 'Flake' commercials are primarily aimed at women and their relationship with chocolate. They don't have to make too much sense to men. ;)

Strange to think that Cadbury developed the flake, as a use for an industrial by-product.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Flake

I remember reading a newspaper report about the Flake girl in either the early or mid-90s (News of the World I think). I may be wrong, but I think this was around the time Leah Betts died after taking ecstasy (the tabloids at the time reported that it was the drug which killed her, turned out later she'd drunk so much water she'd caused a brain swell or something). The most memorable bit of the newspaper story was a quote, allegedly from someone who was at the party where the Flake girl took the E, saying something like: "She seemed hysterical and kept running from person to person constantly asking 'what's wrong with me?'."
Not sure if that moves the debate any further!

If someone slipped some LSD into her drink, I could understand why she might flip out, but Ecstasy? Maybe the tabloids can tie it in somehow to Mephedrone, seeing as that's their new Public Enemy No 1.

I guess you never actually know what's in the E, i'm sure it used to be claimed a lot of them were LSD and amphetamines.

I've known a few people who claimed they had a dodgy E that they thought was H, but that doesn't seem too likely, as there's not much to be gained from cutting it with something that's worth several times as much.

I may have asked this before on here. But am I the only person who remember an advert for Morrisons being banned in the late '70's/early '80's? It involved a man in a green lycra suit running through a door with a voice saying "Your pound's worth more as you walk through the door at Morrisons".The problem with the advert was that the obvious display of his genitals was offending tea time veiwers. Is it a false memory I have?

Cadburys Flake Lady had a e and went mad

As you walk through the door your pounds worth more or as we use to say. As you walk through the door your balls swing more :roll:

_Lizard23_ said:
Dear Lord, I hope psycho Flake woman's not seen the new Flake advert!

:shock:

What the hell was that? lol That was scary, and let me tell you, I ALWAYS want chocolate. That ad, however, made me not want chocolate, and made me afraid to go near the ocean lest I get attacked by some monstrous jellyfish woman beastie.

That's almost as incomprehensible as this one.

At this point you start to realise that the ad is not intended to sell the "product", but rather to sell the advertising agency.

What the hell was that? lol That was scary, and let me tell you, I ALWAYS want chocolate. That ad, however, made me not want chocolate, and made me afraid to go near the ocean lest I get attacked by some monstrous jellyfish woman beastie.

That scared me too, i was waiting for eyes and an enormous mouth to appear out of all those tendrils.

Maybe the ad agency mixed it up with the one for an arty korean restaurant? :lol:

Dr_Baltar said:
As some of the links on the page make clear, it's a pastiche of the Kate Moss/Alexander McQueen hologram:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIcsYBZS ... re=related

But yeah, what it's got to do with chocolate, I don't know. They may as well have used a drumming gorilla or something equally ridic......oh.

lol. :)

I swear to you, I had nightmares about this commercial. However, I must admit, last night when I went to the grocery I bought a bar of chocolate. :oops:

BlackRiverFalls said:
I guess you never actually know what's in the E, i'm sure it used to be claimed a lot of them were LSD and amphetamines.

I've known a few people who claimed they had a dodgy E that they thought was H, but that doesn't seem too likely, as there's not much to be gained from cutting it with something that's worth several times as much.

I know that in my day (not all that long ago), people used to claim they were cut with smack, acid, whatever... Then people started taking MDMA powder instead.

Also, cocaine is supposed to be cut with Bonjela (Lidocaine, although the -caine suffix I think just means a numbing anaesthetic, rather than any shared chemical properties)

A possible drug UL that may have passed some by is that worldwide production of true MDMA has ceased, due to all the factories making an important chemical component being shut down by one or other of the forces of international justice. Hence the popularity of Mephedrome, which has never, to my knowledge, ever been called 'deadly meow-meow' by a proper person.

Sorry for posting o/t.

No problem. I have to admit to never having come across powdered MDMA, a lady i worked with a year or two back said she got it but if i mentioned it to anyone they always said it was probably crystal meth being passed off as that.

Whatever happened to good old Angel Dust, you never hear about that any more? (As opposed to good old Angel Delight. Um, come to think about it, you never hear about that either... :shock: )

I saw a woman in Tesco the other day buying Angel Delight (Butterscotch flavour) and judging by her shamefaced expression you'd have thought she was buying crystal meth

This 1992 Herald article mentions the Rachel Brown incident in the context of a wave of ecstacy-triggered incidents resulting from spiked drinks:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12582195.Highlighting_dangers_of_ecstasy/

It places the Brown incident in Liverpool during October 1992.

This 1999 article from Daily Record:

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-60424657.html

... relates the following follow-up on Brown:

Now 31, Rachel has recovered and has appeared in magazine and television ads for Wella hair products. …

Well, I don't know about the other chaps out there, but after watching this I certainly wanted Oral sex from a gypsy

Any gypsy?

ronnie-for-twitter-1-500x400.jpg

Well, I don't know about the other chaps out there, but after watching this I certainly wanted Oral sex from a gypsy a Flake.

I well remember sitting in the viewing theatre at J Walter Thompson where a bunch of us were watching a collection of the competition's latest commercials (JWT had the Rowntree's account) and this one came up. Cue sniggers from the cheaper seats—but they were all cheap seats. And an account exec. (or 'representative' in JWT-ese) piped up: "It's a bloody good job they're all Quakers and don't know what that's all about!" Sniggers became the proverbial gale of mirth.

One of the posters has more info on her here. Don't know how accurate it is. Hope she's ok.
The guy is called Andrew Easson and he says... "The woman in this advert is Rachel Brown and i know her ( or knew her ). She was a member of my Church at the time in Anfield Liverpool. She suffered with mental problems that have escalated over the years and ended her promising career as a model and potential actress. We would meet regularly in the late 90's and she liked to talk of her disabling mental torture and desire to end her life. She was clearly unwell and talked constantly of her father who was Indian and her mother who was English and how she was hurt cause he left her as a baby and this has contributed to her mental problems. Her mental health deteriorated further and she met another mentally ill man who beat her so badly she would end up in hospital on a regular basis and have black eyes and a bruised face and she left the Church eventually due to health problems. She was a chain smoker at the time and hardly ate any food. She was clearly mentally ill and was prescribed several medications, i wonder where she is these days or if she is still alive."

Back