• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Canine Forteana (Dogs' Weirdness & Wonders)

Woof justice for Commander,

The Biden family's dog, Commander, has been moved out of the White House after a series of biting incidents.

It is still being decided what will happen to the two-year-old German Shepherd, a spokeswoman for First Lady Jill Biden said. Just last week, Commander bit a Secret Service agent who required medical treatment at the scene. It was the 11th time the dog has bitten a guard at the White House complex or at the family home in Delaware.

"The President and First Lady care deeply about the safety of those who work at the White House and those who protect them every day," the spokeswoman, Elizabeth Alexander, said in a statement on Wednesday. "They remain grateful for the patience and support of the US Secret Service and all involved, as they continue to work through solutions. Commander is not presently on the White House campus while next steps are evaluated."

She did not say where the dog was currently living or if it would eventually return to the White House.

The statement was released shortly after CNN reported that Commander had been involved in more than the 11 biting incidents acknowledged by the Secret Service.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67015811

This constitutes an organised campaign of aggression!

President Joe Biden's dog Commander bit US Secret Service agents on at least 24 occasions, new documents show.

Secret Service records show the extent to which the German Shepherd caused chaos for the presidential bodyguards. One senior agent noted the bites meant the Secret Service changed tactics, advising agents to "give lots of room". The warning came months before Commander was removed from the White House.

The documents were revealed through Freedom of Information requests and posted online. They are heavily redacted to protect the identity of Secret Service agents and secrecy of their security tactics. They show at least 24 biting incidents took place between October 2022 and July 2023, including members of the Secret Service being bitten on the wrist, forearm, elbow, waist, chest, thigh and shoulder.

The documents do not necessarily record all biting incidents related to Commander, as they only cover the Secret Service and not others that work in the White House or staff at Camp David in Maryland.

The Biden family's pet left the White House in October last year, one week after a Secret Service agent required medical treatment for a severe bite.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68366306

Dog Uncovers Human Skeleton in Backyard

Police are conducting an investigation after a dog dug up human skeletal remains behind a residence in St. Johns County, Florida. Earlier this month, a resident reported possible human remains in a wooded area behind his home to the Sheriff’s Office. The area has since been marked a crime scene.

dog-skeletal-remains.jpg

Deputies with the St. Johns Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene after the homeowner reported that his dog had been relentlessly digging up what looked like human skeletal remains.

The man told authorities he noticed his canine companion coming back home with large bones, which raised his suspicions. This went on for a couple of days, with his dog even bringing several bones to his front yard.

On Feb. 8, the man decided to follow his dog to the woods, and to his horror, found a human skull and a bunch of bones. He contacted the police immediately.

Authorities are yet to release information about the deceased’s identity, age, and gender. Moreover, it remains unclear how long the remains had been sitting in the woods. The authorities have also not commented on the probability of foul play in the incident.

https://dogtime.com/news/141086-floriday-dog-finds-human-skeletal-remains

maximus otter

A salty old sea dog.

A beloved pet that went missing after a sea swim in West Cork has been reunited with his owner six days after he disappeared.

There was heartbreak in the Fountainstown community last week when Charlie - a friendly young dog well-known by residents in the area - vanished after one of his morning swims at the local beach on Sunday 18 February. His owner last saw him scrambling his way onto the shore across the bay near Ringabella and immediately rushed over to see if they could find him - but he was nowhere to be seen.

Charlie's owner was terrified for his safety and put out a post on Facebook urging locals to help bring him home safe. Little did they know however, this adventurous pup had already started a long journey north towards the city.

Who would've thought he'd get so far?

Who would've thought he'd get so far?

Travelling by field and farm, Charlie slowly made his way towards Carrigaline - only stopping for quick naps in bushes and other sheltered areas. There were a number of sightings reported throughout West Cork over the coming days as he roamed past Cork Airport and started following the N71 towards the Bandon Road Roundabout. ...

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-dog-lost-sea-found-28716122

Dog Uncovers Human Skeleton in Backyard

Police are conducting an investigation after a dog dug up human skeletal remains behind a residence in St. Johns County, Florida. Earlier this month, a resident reported possible human remains in a wooded area behind his home to the Sheriff’s Office. The area has since been marked a crime scene.

dog-skeletal-remains.jpg

Deputies with the St. Johns Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene after the homeowner reported that his dog had been relentlessly digging up what looked like human skeletal remains.

The man told authorities he noticed his canine companion coming back home with large bones, which raised his suspicions. This went on for a couple of days, with his dog even bringing several bones to his front yard.

On Feb. 8, the man decided to follow his dog to the woods, and to his horror, found a human skull and a bunch of bones. He contacted the police immediately.

Authorities are yet to release information about the deceased’s identity, age, and gender. Moreover, it remains unclear how long the remains had been sitting in the woods. The authorities have also not commented on the probability of foul play in the incident.

https://dogtime.com/news/141086-floriday-dog-finds-human-skeletal-remains

maximus otter
I live very rurally and often walk the dog 'off the beaten track'. My old dog used to come back bringing bits of bone and I often wondered if they could have come from bodies disposed of out in the wilds. I mean, unless it was a skull, how would you tell, say, the bones of a deer from human bones? Or other animals, if farmers have...disposed of sick or dead animals illegally by shoving them in thickets to save the cost of the knacker man coming out? What is the protocol if your dog brings you bones?

"Do dogs sense ghosts ?": an "it happened to my mother" (IHTMM) story !

My mother lives in a small village set along the shores of the river Seine, a few miles west of Paris, France. The area has been somewhat protected from the rampages of over-urbanisation, and still harbours open fields, small woods and some little swamps. For several years in a row, she used to take care of the dog of one of her friends while this friend left for her home country. She would then have to walk the dog in the neighbourhood, taking him, either in the Saint Germain forest, either along the wild and derelicted shores of the Seine. The dog used to enjoy immensely these walks.

Along the river once stood the grand house of the owner of a French newspaper of the early 20th century. During WW2, this man apparently befriended the German invaders, and was thus murdered as a punishment (or thus it is said in local lore) after the "Liberation" of the country in 1944-1945. Thereafter, the house was left to decay, and some woods grew all over the place.

Now my mother sometimes took the dog to these woods, where he would merrily wander along overgrown and mossy paths. But at a specific place behind the house in ruins, the dog would, again and again, suddenly stop and refuse to advance, without any obvious cause. Eager to finish her circuit and go back home, my mother would nonetheless proceed forward and keep following the path. The dog would observe her from behind, still refusing to move for several minutes. When finally he would oblige, he would get back to her running as if the devil was on his tail.

My mother always found this behaviour strange, but since this dog wasn't especially "bright", she would put it on his limited intellect.

Recently, I visited my family in the area and learned that the police had found a corpse buried in the woods. Apparently, a gang had executed a man in the course of a vendetta (they shot him with a bullet in the head), and had hidden his corpse in these woods 12 years ago.

I went to check the woods last week-end, and just behind the derelict mansion of the collaborationnist press moghul, the ground had been dug on several dozen square meters. So I suppose that's where they found the body. Reporting what I had seen to my mother, she confirmed that they had dug on the exact path where the dog stubbornly refused to go.

It makes me wonder whether the dog could sense something unholly or frightening in the area, even though it could simply be a coincidence.

A rational explication could be that the derelict mansion which stood only ten or twenty meters away from the bureid corpse was regularly squatted by weird prowlers, hobbos or drug addicts. I remember that a decade ago, or so, whenever I would stroll close to this ruined house, I would start hearing firecracker or gunshot sounds, as if somebody was trying to keep away visitors from the ruins. So maybe the dog did feel that it wasn't a welcoming place ... Still, what is puzzling is that he was afraid only on the Western side of the house, where the body had been buried. He could fearlessly walk around the rest of the coumpound without being worried. But he would frieze all of a sudden, next to the secret burial place ...

Edit : a French website about the ruined house : https://www.yvelines-infos.fr/au-coeur-de-la-foret-la-villa-sapene/

It appears that the owner actually died of old age in Vichy before the Liberation. The manor, though, was confiscated by the German werhmarcht and turned into a bordello / whorehouse during the war.

Last edited:

My mother lives in a small village set along the shores of the river Seine, a few miles west of Paris, France. The area has been somewhat protected from the rampages of over-urbanisation, and still harbours open fields, small woods and some little swamps. For several years in a row, she used to take care of the dog of one of her friends while this friend left for her home country. She would then have to walk the dog in the neighbourhood, taking him, either in the Saint Germain forest, either along the wild and derelicted shores of the Seine. The dog used to enjoy immensely these walks.

Along the river once stood the grand house of the owner of a French newspaper of the early 20th century. During WW2, this man apparently befriended the German invaders, and was thus murdered as a punishment (or thus it is said in local lore) after the "Liberation" of the country in 1944-1945. Thereafter, the house was left to decay, and some woods grew all over the place.

Now my mother sometimes took the dog to these woods, where he would merrily wander along overgrown and mossy paths. But at a specific place behind the house in ruins, the dog would, again and again, suddenly stop and refuse to advance, without any obvious cause. Eager to finish her circuit and go back home, my mother would nonetheless proceed forward and keep following the path. The dog would observe her from behind, still refusing to move for several minutes. When finally he would oblige, he would get back to her running as if the devil was on his tail.

My mother always found this behaviour strange, but since this dog wasn't especially "bright", she would put it on his limited intellect.

Recently, I visited my family in the area and learned that the police had found a corpse buried in the woods. Apparently, a gang had executed a man in the course of a vendetta (they shot him with a bullet in the head), and had hidden his corpse in these woods 12 years ago.

I went to check the woods last week-end, and just behind the derelict mansion of the collaborationnist press moghul, the ground had been dug on several dozen square meters. So I suppose that's where they found the body. Reporting what I had seen to my mother, she confirmed that they had dug on the exact path where the dog stubbornly refused to go.

It makes me wonder whether the dog could sense something unholly or frightening in the area, even though it could simply be a coincidence.

A rational explication could be that the derelict mansion which stood only ten or twenty meters away from the bureid corpse was regularly squatted by weird prowlers, hobbos or drug addicts. I remember that a decade ago, or so, whenever I would stroll close to this ruined house, I would start hearing firecracker or gunshot sounds, as if somebody was trying to keep away visitors from the ruins. So maybe the dog did feel that it wasn't a welcoming place ... Still, what is puzzling is that he was afraid only on the Western side of the house, where the body had been buried. He could fearlessly walk around the rest of the coumpound without being worried. But he would frieze all of a sudden, next to the secret burial place ...

Edit : a French website about the ruined house : https://www.yvelines-infos.fr/au-coeur-de-la-foret-la-villa-sapene/

It appears that the owner actually died of old age in Vichy before the Liberation. The manor, though, was confiscated by the German werhmarcht and turned into a bordello / whorehouse during the war.
Well, as Pigs and Dogs are used to sniff out Truffles, then maybe your dog is not so daft after all and senses the traces of decomposed remains that remain beneath the ground?

Quite plausible, especially if it was a shallow grave.
Dogs have an unbelievable sense of smell.

Mine has on more than one occasion, even appeared to read my thoughts.

Jacqueline Wilson’s novel deleted by dog

Dame Jacqueline Wilson has revealed she almost lost the manuscript of her most recent book after a friend’s dog pressed the “delete all” button on her computer screen.

In an advance on “the dog ate my homework”, Wilson faced telling her publisher that she would not be handing in her 300-page novel.

c83f658f2f2e58fe4fcfaa97c27acede

The book was The Magic Faraway Tree: A Christmas Adventure, a reworking of the Enid Blyton tales.

The dedication in the front of the book – “To Gary Freemantle, the best technical wizard in the world, with many thanks” – is for the IT expert who managed to retrieve the manuscript.

“I’m not scared of most things but I am scared of my computer. I don’t like it and it doesn’t like me,” Wilson said.

“The most terrible thing happened. We were looking after other people’s dogs and I was being mad enough to try to type on a computer where they could get at me.

“This seems unbelievable but it happened: one dog pressed a button that said on it ‘delete’ and the other pressed ‘delete all’. My actual, almost-finished manuscript disappeared entirely.”

The dogs in question were a pug and a Jack Russell.

“Each time we tried to retrieve it, we were making it harder and harder,” she recalled. “At long last, I was told about this guy. He said he would come up and have a look at it. "Well, God bless Gary – within half an hour he had got it back for me.”

She added: “He is so lovely, so modest, such a genius. So I put his full name in the book as a dedication.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/jacqueline-wilson-novel-deleted-dog-195658613.html

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back