Carnage On The Escalators

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
So refreshing to learn of a new calamity that isn't contagious!

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
About 15 years back I got my toes caught in one at the top were the moving bit goes into the floor right at the side, I was wearing desert welly’s and it gave my toes quite a nip I was lucky and managed to pull them out, I am much more carful when I use them now.
A mate at School lost a trainer at the top of an escalator - sounded unlikely, but then again he also got hit by a bus at the bus-stop and when the luggage fell off the roof rack of his parent's car on the M1, the bed sheets ended up with tyre marks across them.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Chinese people caught in escalators is almost a separate category on LiveLeak.
Here are a few examples.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Looks like it's a national sport in China.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
i did work once with a Director of Operations for a large museum who foamed at the mouth about escalators especially in relation to kids. She supported tearing them out and putting in stairs.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
i did work once with a Director of Operations for a large museum who foamed at the mouth about escalators especially in relation to kids. She supported tearing them out and putting in stairs.
I think part of the problem with kids and escalators is that their parents don't teach them how to use the escalators safely.
My Dad showed me and told me off when I messed about. He was a school workshop safety adviser (voluntary), so he knew a lot about dangerous stuff - he told me all about the dangers of escalators. No problems since.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
He was a school workshop safety adviser (voluntary), so he knew a lot about dangerous stuff - he told me all about the dangers of escalators. No problems since.
Did he tell you hair-raising stories about gruesome accidents? If so we'll need a full account, please. In your own time.

NOTE: Subsequent accident stories were spun off into a separate thread:

Workshop / Workplace Accidents & Safety
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/workshop-workplace-accidents-safety.67130/

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got that headline, but it's seriously wrong ...

Incidents involving elevators and escalators kill about 30 and seriously injure about 17,000 people each year in the United States, according to data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Elevators cause almost 90 percent of the deaths and 60 percent of serious injuries. ...
SOURCE (SAME As Link Above): https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/nioshtic-2/20039852.html

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
I just watched some escalator accident videos. OMFG. There are so many ways those things can injure or kill if they are badly maintained. The number of poor old doddering dears who got into major trouble from toppling over on them was appalling. I mean, they are supposed to be a convenience for people, but the very folk who most need them to work reliably because they have trouble with stairs seem to get into danger with them so often. When I first read the stats, I though, wow, yet another example of people being stupid, but that was my able-bodied prejudice. Many of the vids are blood-curdling.