• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: EBBLS

A

Anonymous

EBBLS
Exx Fiel

I am writing to you in regard to events I have been witnessing, as well as experiencing, since my childhood. I am in my early twenties now. I am aware that this is all going to sound farfetched and since this is via e-mail you may find it hard to believe me, but as I am typing this my hands are clammy, my heart is palpitating and I am using my left hand to draw down the shades in my study.

This is about the EBBLS. I call them EBBLS (pronounced Ebb-alls) because one of the first few times I saw one, this is what it said to me, although I could have heard wrong. I was maybe six and spending the night in the house of a woman I barely remember now, but I beleive she was a distant cousin of my father's. She had five older sons, all in the military, who would rush up and down the stairs but never spoke.

It was in her house when it all started. I was sleeping on the couch in her living room which was pink all over with far too many flowers, and I believe that this is the reason I despise flowers to this day. My father was on the floor and I was awakened by a deep cough. I though it was my father and so I climbed off the couch to lay on the floor with him when a great rush of air swooshed passed me. I was on my knees when I felt something looking at me from the darkness. I looked towards the staircase that led to the second floor and, standing with one arm on the banister and one leg on the second step was a figure, with what looked like a cape bellowing behind it in some imaginary wind.

From that day onward I saw them. First I would awaken in the night, unable to open my eyes, with a paralysis slowly taking over my body. I would always sense something standing nearby and then, slowly, I could move and open my eyes and when I did, I always saw a figure standing in the doorway, or at the foot of my bed, with cape billowing. When I was ten or so, in the late summer, my mother took me to the bookstore. I perused the shelves for something for myself while she tried to find a bathroom to change my sisters diaper. If only you could feel through my words what I felt that day when I saw my first comic book. It was Wonder Woman and right next to her was Shazaam and when I saw him my heart beat wildly and I must have looked as if I'd seen a ghost because staring back at me were the EBBLS!

I don't know how to explain it to you other than to say that the EBBLS are tall, muscular, always gleaming, as the light hits them, and when I first started seeing them they came one by one until they became groups who spoke to me in mumble-jumble so that when I awoke the next day I could only recall a few indistinguishable words. It was the one who resembles SHAZAAM who said something to the effect of "...EBBLS!" What it means I do not know. What it all means I do not know. But it didn't end there.

When I was twelve a cousin and I had a drawing contest to draw the best superhero. I won. I remember him looking at me for sometime before asking me how it was that my superheroes looked so real. That is when I told him what I was seeing. Well, needless to say, I became known as "the alien", "the freak". Children in school taunted me about my superheroes. But no matter what, the EBBLS kept coming. All I can tell you is that they appeared to me before I ever knew comic books existed and yet when my mother took me to see a shrink, his first assumption was that I had seen too many Superfriends commercials.

When I was sixteen I saw one in broad daylight. She was dressed like a normal person but even passers-by sensed she wasn't quite right because everyone stopped and stared at her. Some didn't even know they were staring. She was wearing a trenchcoat. She followed me from my house, to school, to the library and back. And that night, as I was riding in my mother's car, with my aunt at the wheel, an EBBL flew in front of us and as the car hit it I knew that this was the first physical contact with one. The car was dented, but we could find no injured person. I told my mother who started to freak out because she believed I was going loco.

Some people have told me that maybe the things I am seeing are no different than Spring-heeled Jack or the Mothman. All I know is that I have seen real superheroes and when the events of September 11th occurred, I was waiting for them to show themselves so I could say 'I told you so' to all those who laughed at me and thought I was wacko, but they never showed. They never helped and I began to believe I was in fact crazy.

But just last tuesday, I saw one. Female, over six feet, beneath the street lamp, across from my house. She had on a one piece outfit with a hood, almost like Cat Womans, but a shiny purple under the light. She had her hands on her hips and a huge sword jutting out from her right hip. I ignored her and fell asleep trembling and wishing I were dead because noone is ever going to believe me or help me or explain to me why I see them. I hope that someone will read this and have something to say. Hopefully I am not alone. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
like....The Invisibles....Invis - EBBLS...... Vertigo comic book about superheroes who basically work 'outside' of society, from what i can gather...

The first part of the account sounds like standard hypnogogic hallucination/sleep paralysis stuff.
The second part of it? Misperception, hallucination, imagination, paranoia...? I'm not the best person to judge.

Hmmm...we're all being very circumspect about this one, aren't we :)?

sleep paralysis & waking sights

Hi,

I've had a few experiences similar to your bedtime ones, nowhere near as many as you, but they absolutely terrified me (thought I was going mad, or seeing ghosts or demons) until I came across this phenomenon - it matches the description of most ghost sightings seen from bed (paralysis, terror etc) perfectly - not that I'm saying this explains them all, 'cos I dont think it does, but it might help you. Check this site out for loads more info:

http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

This other site is about Charles Bonnet syndrome, which medical science seems to think only happens when eyesight is deteriorating (but if your eyesight has nothing wrong with it, & you still see odd things, then you cant possibly have this; which means you must be mad, which means you dont report this to your doctor, which means medical science says you cant possibly have this.......medical science often doesnt know what its talking about, I think; we've all seen things we cant explain). Again, this may not fit your experiences, and you may be seeing things that are really there the rest of us cant. You need to decide for yourself, but only after you know whats possible.

http://www.rnib.org.uk/info/cbsfin.htm

PS I just went to Google & typed in the names of these conditions & posted the first websites I came across - anyone can do it, I'm no expert. You can find out more.

this seems to be a unique experience,which is worthy of documentation, MAYBE, draw out a comic book account, of "their", hithertoo unseen world, who knows, it may just be the ghost of your destiny, you might not be the first and only, where did the idea for "super heroes" come from anyway??
P.S. if you do send me a first edition ; )

jay72 said:
My guess is that they're some sort of extra-dimensional/demonic (not necessarily evil) entities. The people who know about things like this say that the world is full of all kinds of spiritual entities. There are more confused or "trickster" or even evil beings at lower levels, and as you climb the ladder of spiritual development you may come in contact with more benign or even beneficial entities.

Like what Keel describes as 'super-entities', amongst other things - beings that have been here longer than us and exist just out of eyesight, it's an interesting group that includes Mothman and the Thunderbird of native American Indian lore, giants and UFO's may also be part of this whole phenomenon, sometimes they make themselves visible to us normal humans. On the whole all these beings have been known to be slightly mischievous, playing games with the human psyche. It'd make an interesting story, if it hadn't already been written :D

"just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" Nirvana :eek:

I think you should relax--in all these years you have never been truly hurt by these things you see. If they are real--and who's to say they are not?--they may not even realize they've frightened you. You should search out a psychiatrist or psychologist you trust, and finding one may take more than one visit to one doc, NOT to have her tell you you're "nuts" but to have her help you with coping with your experiences. It would be tempting to scratch all this up to a neat diagnosis of mental illness, however you appear to (a) function just fine in the real world and (b) be aware that what you see has its origins in you somehow, which makes a diagnosis of psychosis a little suspect. I encourage you to find a therapist with an open mind and a kind heart; you must be a strong person, even though you don't see yourself that way: look at what you have had to deal with, beginning in childhood!

EBBLS

Further to the writer who thought bits of the account reminded him of "my beautiful mind". Part of the Psychology A level curriculum which I teach deals with symptoms of schizophrenia. Visual and auditory hallucinations are one of the 1st rank diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia. In addition, paranoia e.g. being followed by a being described is a specific characteristic of parnoid schizophrenia.

Gimauche is a "she"

Jay - so much for tagging people, eh ? Just to correct a few of your inaccuracies. A Psychologist is NOT a shrink, that would be a psychoanalyst. Whereas Freud did contribute to Psychology, I am personally not a big fan of his and am an Occupational Psychologist by trade - no shrinking I'm afraid, but management systems and the like are more my forte.
Also, I did not give the tag of paranoid schizophrenic I was merely putting forward possible causes like anyone else. I would not dream of diagnosing anyone, I am not qualified, you would need a psychiatrist for that (again NOT a psychologist, but a medical doctor who has qualified in psychiatry).
BTW I wish I was a professor though - more money for me.

It's like something out of Twin Peaks,isn't it?
I'd think a doctor would be more help than a priest; a priest'll just come out with some guff about angels.
I seriously doubt that any 'real' entity would dress like that.

if it were Twin Peaks he'd be seeing giants, dwarves, lots of owls and people dressed as giant chess pieces...

I find it difficult to believe that you had not seen any comic book characters before you were six. Probably you have been seeing these things on cereal boxes etc. since you were a baby.

You don't say your age but I am guessing you are a preteen- I believe that the nighthag/hypnogogic thing is most common in this age range. There is quite a lot of stuff about it on this website.

Re: EBBLS

IHTM said:
Exx Fiel
I am writing to you in regard to events I have been witnessing, as well as experiencing, since my childhood. I am in my early twenties now. I am aware that this is all going to sound farfetched and since this is via e-mail you may find it hard to believe me, but as I am typing this my hands are clammy, my heart is palpitating and I am using my left hand to draw down the shades in my study.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/ebbls.shtml
Can people please read posts.:hmph:

Yes I do so watch what you post.:D

:eek!!!!: No effing way mate, not even by stealth.:hmph:

testosterone

Now now children let's all play nice - too much testosterone flying around here. AND let's get back on track to our good old EBBLS.

Sound to me like it's a disorder in the vein of Capgras syndrome etc. i.e. The person sees the same as everyone else but interprets it in a different way. There's nothing supernatural going on here, and probably no need to seek psychiatrist help either. In fact, its sound like fun...

EBBLS

Here's a thought. I read a book called 'Embraced by the Light' in which a woman has a near death experience. She sees many things on the 'other side', one of which is huge angels that sound like your superheroes. Their job is to protect humans against demons. Maybe you're just tuned into seeing these Celestial Cops! I would be curious to know if you have ever seen anything like a demon.

I've read that book...made up, Christian fundamentalist hooey to the last word!

Inverurie Jones said:
I've read that book...made up, Christian fundamentalist hooey to the last word!
Hi IJ
With some of the same things happening in the after life, but definately not fundamentalist, have you ever read any Sandra Brown??

Back