• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: EBBLS

Many people of many religions have experienced near death experiences, not just Christians. And a belief in the supernatural, demons included, could comfortably encompass angels, ne c'est pas? Probably not the floaty, lacy things we've been brainwashed into thinking of as angels, but beings who have their own purpose in the scheme of things, and who are strong and robust enough to be useful.

Lemarch said:
Many people of many religions have experienced near death experiences, not just Christians. And a belief in the supernatural, demons included, could comfortably encompass angels, ne c'est pas? Probably not the floaty, lacy things we've been brainwashed into thinking of as angels, but beings who have their own purpose in the scheme of things, and who are strong and robust enough to be useful.
Quite right, they, angels are a hall mark of nearly every major religion, including Judaism, Islam and a few others....

Just curious, but who is Sandra Brown and what kind of books has she written?

Lady Molivery said:
Quite right, they, angels are a hall mark of nearly every major religion, including Judaism, Islam and a few others....

They also all worship the same God and share parts of their holy books...:hmm:

They also all worship the same God and share parts of their holy books...

Could you cite which passages in the Koran are identical to those of the Bible?

Lemarch said:
Just curious, but who is Sandra Brown and what kind of books has she written?
Sorry Lemarch, I'm at work
Sandra writes extensively on spiritual/psychic matters. We all have spirit guides, ad well as free will, and she writes about the masculine and feminine sides of God.... she also isn't afraid of poking a little fun at herself, I really like what she writes

Well, Lemarch let me rephrase that; they recover old ground, but admittedly not, in this case, word for word.
The fact remains that they are all- essentially- different sects of the same religion.

I guess this is all getting off the track of my original intent in posting in the first place. This person who wrote about EBBLS was either A) truly seeing these things and was actually frightened or B) thought up a really good story just to see what kind of response he got. My only point to make is that possibly he is able to see something which could be related to the beings in the book mentioned, and my hope is that he could take some comfort from it.

Thanks, Lady Molivery. I like new ideas and will check out some of her books.

You're most welcome Lemarch....always a pleasure to share books

Thank you

buzzkill said:
I'm thinking Lady Molivery maybe means "Sylvia Browne"? She's here: http://www.sylvia.org

Much appreciated, Buzzkill; the site has a lot of great info and was very interesting. I think I'll be getting some of her books off of ebay :)

OT

I was very intrigued with Sylvia Browne, at first. She went on and on in one of her books about how she wouldn't profit from her abilities... then she came to the Twin Cities and wanted $55 per person to attend her speaking engagement -- and IIRC
$400 for her workshop!

I know she has to cover expenses, but it was a book tour
for cryin' out loud! She is trying to SELL a book... but she wants
us to pay to listen to her promo!?! That made me really suspicious!

Now, she is being paid by church groups to channel a visit
to the crucifiction of Jesus. That really turned me off!

Like she says, read her stuff -- take what you want --
throw out the rest.

Just my two cents...
TVgeek

tvgeek,

You are quite right, business is business in this world. And everything IS business. I wouldn't pay for anything either. She is just a nice entertaining woman on TV, and that's as far as I go with it.

As you say, take what you want and leave the rest. I think that's why God gave us free will......He was thinking ahead, that crazy, crazy Guy... :yeay:

Sylvia Browne

I'm willing to read her books (getting one from Ebay for $1.00 just to check it out), but the $400 workshop thing is a ripoff. Also on her website, it costs $750 for a private reading.

I'm sure she truly believes she is helping people and she probably has helped some, but those prices are a bit steep for normal joes.

It's probably better to read her books... has anyone reading this thread read any of them? and which are good ones? Some of the titles seem so similar it's hard to know how they might be different.

Last SB OT -- I promise!

After all the above has been said:
"The Other Side and Back" is a good Sylvia Browne book
to start with.

On topic: Sylvia does see both beings and demons that
many people don't see... so it isn't uncommon!

TVgeek

Sylvia Browne is one of the biggest "celebrity" cold reader frauds in the world today, and she isn't even any good at it. She's a proven con artist (as if proof is needed), a liar (having lied copiously on TV on numerous occasions) and she's also a thief, taking the money of gullible people in return for nothing. I bet Houdini is turning in his grave...

Sylvia Browne

Thanks TVGeek for info. Strange, but it turns out the one I'm getting off of ebay is that same book...

Are there any Psychiatrists or Psychoanalysts out there who believe that there are people suffering from mental 'gliches' but that there are GENUINE cases, too?

It's such a concern because sometimes when people have witnesses to their experiences they pull the 'folie a deux' or the 'folie a trois' cards, or 'hysterical' injuries theories. Do Psychiatrists or Psychoanalysts put EVERYTHING down to the mind?

(It's very scarey because did you know that if you've ever suffered from clinical depression/hallucination/sleep paralysis incident then the British Legal system allows your testimony to be legitimately 'rubbished' and 'thrown out' if you ever get raped because you have 'mental health problems' and might be 'seeking attention'???? Lots of people see strange things and I definitely think people should always seek anonymous advice before approaching someone with the power to add the info to your medical records - who knows if it may come back to haunt you, as it were!)

Hi, this is my first ever post on these fascinating boards!

Coming back to the original subject of this thread - the 'EBBLS' I remember reading a fascinating book a couple of years ago called 'Phantoms in the brain' by a Dr Ramachandran. One of the cases he related concerned a woman who, due to some of neurological problem, saw cartoon characters wherever she looked ie she might be sitting chatting to somebody and see Bugs Bunny sitting in their lap - weird! Don't remember the exact details but it could very well explain the ebbls.

Hello,

I am replying to the original topic of the EBBLS. I have a story (actually, a few incidences) to relate to this, and it's freaky how amazingly similar they are. I am a comicbook penciller and I've been a huge fan of Superheros all my life and I am not suffering from any psychological disturbances, but I had an odd experience once. But this is more about things my family experienced in regards to this post.
My grandparents lived (my grandfather is dead, but my grandmother still lives there) in huge house that once belonged to a rich doctor from the 1800's. He was hanged for doing what as considered satanic rituals in his backyard. He thought he could raise up old gods or something. He had a following and people now talk about the story as if it is a myth or something, but when my grandparents bought the house, the pastor at the church next door made it his duty to come over and tell them that before they bought the house.
Anyhow, fast forward ten years and my grandparents have five (out of thirteen) children and my oldest Uncle V stayed home alone for a week while my grandparents went to Italy and took the younger kids (I think my Uncle has some school thing to finish up). He was alone, watching the Partridge family or something when from the corner of his eye he noticed someone standing in the foyer just outside the living room. He turned off the TV and got up to grab a poker near the fire place, just as the shadowy figure turned to walk down the hall.
Now, my Uncle is still part of the service to this day and he was a Police officer for twenty years and he will tell you a story straight, with no exaggeration. He doesn't beleive in ghosts, UFO's, nothing-and yet he was freaked out so bad that he backed up against the farthest wall because he said a strange sensation overcame him that if he didn't brace himself or sit down, he was going to collapse.
As he flattened himself against the wall a whirlwind came rolling down the hall as the dark figure walked right into it and disappeared.
Of course, when my grandparents got home a few days later, he relayed the story to my grandfather who cursed at him for being a woosy, because basically my uncle ran outof the house after that incident and my grandfathers only concern was that my uncle left the house unsupervised...(PARENTS!!!)
So, a few days later, my mother (who was about four at the time), got up to use the bathroom and was confronted by a woman she could only begin to describe sometime later while watching the show-WONDER WOMAN!
The woman told her something but to this day my mother says it was more like MUMBLING-is this what the person who posted this topic meant by EBBLS? Because they cannot be understood?
Other things occurred that have been related through the years but they are minor compared to my youngest uncles experience in the early eighties.
The TV in the kitchen was scrambling so my grandfather sent my uncle outside to see if something was on the antenna. My uncle went out to the front yard and pulled back until his back was at the gate because the house is so huge and high that you have to step back aways to see the tip of the antenna.
When he did this, he saw something that to this day he swears his life on. A man as big as an ox, with powerful arms and legs, whose features where shadowed because the moon was directly behind him, illuminating his back. This man had his hands on his hips and he seemed to be looking down at my uncle and oddest of all, behind the man a cape billowed in the fair summer breeze.
My family has been discussing these events for years. My grandfather is gone now, but according to that same uncle who experienced the whirlwind (or portal?), my grandfather had an experience with something in the basement that he never told anyone. My uncle just remembers my grandfather running up the cellar stairs, his face pale, he vomited on the carpet, but he never said what happened.
Personally, I have a theory that some visitors tried to contact my family. Not visitors from space, but perhaps an alternate reality, where these entities, these superheros- do exist.
To this day, I am fascinated and deep down I beleive the Superhero phenomena was inspired by some actual event, with actual characters. But, when I read this post, I just had to tell these stories because the comparisons are too oddly similar.
Maybe the person who posted this story was chosen. Maybe he/she is not crazy, but just not as blind as most of us.
I think something odd but true is happening here.
My experience is still a puzzle to me to this day, and it did not happen at my grandparents house.
I was away at college...my second year, but prior to leaving, my sick grandfather told me that I would be alright because he had friends watching over me.
I never thought twice about this. I thought he was being religious and referring to God or angels.
So, I was walking with two friends, back to the campus from another friends apartment. We took a detour through a quiet street. THe lights were out in all the houses and it was pretty late so we talked in hushed voices. Just then, a man in boxers and a plaid jacket came out of a corner and called after my friend.
He cursed at us when we ignore him and took chase after us. We ran as fast as we could. When we rounded the corner I ran head first into a large man who smelled oddly of an old cellar mixed with water (that is the best I can describe it). I was overcome with an overwhelming sense of calm. The man grabbed me and pulled me aside and I watched as he walked toward our pursurer, who in seeing the big man, turned and ran the other way. My friends kept running and never saw the big man. But I did and I swaer this is true. He was almost seven feet tall. He had some kind of emblem on his chest and when I looked for my friends and didn't see them, I turned toward him, but he was gone.
Who ever he was, he was like noone I had ever encountered before. And I like to beleive he was one of the 'friends' my grandfather spoke about.

One last thing. I almost forgot to add that the man I saw that night resembled SHAZAM, just like this person described. I swear this is all true, and yes I know exactly what SHAZAM looks like!

WW

If I remember correctly this woman had been experiencing this since childhood, so LSD would seem an unlikely cause.

WonderWoman said:
Personally, I have a theory that some visitors tried to contact my family. Not visitors from space, but perhaps an alternate reality, where these entities, these superheros- do exist.

read John Keel's theories on ultra-terrestrials...

EBBLS and superheroes (and Guardian Angels)

A thought just struck me...if these beings exist, perhaps their external appearance is determined by the observer....I mean, if someone believed in guardian angels, they would perceive these beings as such. Someone reared on cartoon heroes would see the same being *dressed* as a superhero.

If I ever see one of these beings, it'll probably be disguised as a large beer.....:p

Re: EBBLS and superheroes (and Guardian Angels)

gellatly68 said:
A thought just struck me...if these beings exist, perhaps their external appearance is determined by the observer....I mean, if someone believed in guardian angels, they would perceive these beings as such. Someone reared on cartoon heroes would see the same being *dressed* as a superhero.

If I ever see one of these beings, it'll probably be disguised as a large beer.....:p

again, check out John Keel for that sort of thing.....or Babylon 5, which ran a similar thing with the Vorlons, but even that was nicked from John Keel, so there u go...

Very interesting! But what stays with me is the fact that if something like this happened to me more than twice, I would definately try to communicate with whoever was standing there watching me. Wouldn't you? If they have powers, surely you can communicate somehow! (Not being snotty.... wouldn't that start to get to you after awhile?! You'd scream "What do you WANT?!" Haha!)

None of us knows what we'd do in any situation until it happens and we do it. Communication with out-of-place people is always problematic, because a) they're strangers and b) they aren't supposed to be there and c) most people who encounter them are intimidated and d) they often appear when you're in a dreamlike state and just don't think to say anything. Familiarity with folklore conventions is useful in such cases, as they may provide formulas for proper behavior if you meet a fairy/ghost/whatever. (In Mexican ghost tradition, you should address the ghost politely with the injunction: "In the name of God, tell me what you want," because the ghost is incapable of speaking until spoken to. Since he often wants to tell you where he buried his treasure, this behavior is to your advantage.) No such formula exists for superhero analogs, alas. In analogous cases, confrontation has led to the entity going away. It has also led to escalation of the phenomena.

Based on the behavior, my own best guess is that Ebbles are the same things as ghosts, apparitions, fairies, many cryptids, most aliens, angels, and the giant shrimp in the laundry room, and that all these entities represent some real entity or force which is difficult for our senses to perceive. When perception does occur, the visual centers of the brain seize on cues which never reach conscious awareness in order to construct a meaningful, or at least visualizable, image.

I'm always dubious when people claim that they never saw such-and-such an image before. Images are so ubiquitous, and we see so much, and how often have I said casually: "Never heard of it" only to find the image, or a work by the person, or a book on the subject, in my own house? Unfortunately "Oh, you must have done" is an unfalsifiable proposition - a percipient may not be a particularly good judge of whether he's been exposed to an influence or not, but he's ipso facto a better judge than anyone who isn't him.

BTW, when the second plane crashed into the second tower, and I realized that no, this wasn't an accident, my spontaneous thought was: "So where is Superman?"

Nitpicks: By Shazam, do y'all mean Captain Marvel, the comic character created by C.C. Beck in Whiz #1? That's who's shown in the hunky picture.

I know many sane people who wouldn't hesitate to be seen in public in a hooded purple cat suit and broadsword. Enter the gaming subculture and the realm of those who know no embarrassment in pursuit of their good times; for whom "freaking the mundanes" is a joy in itself. Geeks have more fun!

Peni said:
(In Mexican ghost tradition, you should address the ghost politely with the injunction: "In the name of God, tell me what you want," because the ghost is incapable of speaking until spoken to.
I always wondered why ghosts just stare at you instead of speaking directly like a live person would. :)

Based on the behavior, my own best guess is that Ebbles are the same things as ghosts, apparitions, fairies, many cryptids, most aliens, angels, and the giant shrimp in the laundry room, and that all these entities represent some real entity or force which is difficult for our senses to perceive.
Do you mean that they arise from the same undifferentiated spirtual mass as individual entities, or that each is a completely independent entity in and of itself unconnected to any other? I've always seen it as the former - that all apparitions are made up of the same material. That parts of this spirit material (ectoplasm?) individuate from the whole at certain points to serve some purpose in the "real" world (perhaps only to baffle/scare are minds open a bit and make us think in ways we wouldn't otherwise{BEKs, dancing cows,etc.} or to offer some sort of aid to us in times of danger {spirit guides, guardian angles, etc.}). They appear, 'exist' for some time, and then return to their homogenous source like droplets of water to the sea. Some exist in distinct form for longer stretches of time than others - fairies in their prefered locales as compared to the one-off appearance of the giant shrimp. Anyway, that's how I've always sensed it.

Back