• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Classic Archive Merged: Pani(ic) In The Woods

I've never heard the hummadruz, but I have been to a couple of odd places that just felt like they were saying 'GO AWAY!'.
One I mentioned on the Fairy Paths thread in Chat.
Its a nature reserve in Hampshire called Broughton Down, its an odd mix of downland, woodland and ancient earthworks. Most of the place is okay, but there is an untouched section in the middle that I call the 'lost valley'. Its a patch of dense deciduous wood, hanging with mosses, ivy, and Old Mans Beard vines, of about an acre. There is no path that leads into it, and the couple of times I've tried to scrabble my way through, I felt so uncomfortable that I've had to turn back pretty sharpish. The dogs won't go in there, either.

Heres a map if anyone fancies a visit- Broughton Down

Originally posted by stargazeypie: "Although I cannot recall one specific experience, when I read this thread I had a real sense of familiarity. I'm sure I've experienced something like the increased insect noise and feeling of panic. It rings a bell, anyway"

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I feel almost as though I SHOULD remember an incident like this.
:confused:

This is all very, very odd. I love it, and commend you all on a fantastic thread!

I noticed three tumuli in or near Broughton Down reserve, are they near this 'forbidding' area? Could we have an example of genius locus?

Doesn't Pan have another aspect? He's supposed to inhabit Edinburgh, and infuses the subject with a sense of comprehension of the one-ness of creation (or something like that!). I was wandering about the city once and got overwhelmed with this sensation (drug-unaided, too!). Lasted a good couple of hours and slowly faded; only time I've ever had it. A few years after the experience I read in FT that other people had had a similar experience, and it was blamed on the influence of Pan. As opposed to the influence of class-A drugs, presumably.

As for why panic in woods, how about the evolutionary biologist explanation? Your primitive human in a forest is a very vulnerable creature (being sight-dependant and better suited to open plains). As a result biological systems are going to kick in, emphasising the importance of sounds and smells (e.g. insect/bird noise, smells), and make the subject hyper-twitchy. Look at how deer behave in woodland as opposed to grassland; far more prone to being spooked. It might also account for the ability to get lost easily; the shift in sensory emphasis is going to change the 'emotional tone' of a place, and it won't seem familiar any more (again, a survival feature? familiarity breeds complacency, which breeds getting eaten by a sabre-tooth tiger).

Not me, I'm far more at home in woods than any where else.And I never get lost in them, even if I've never been to a new one (to me)before.

Caroline said:
I noticed three tumuli in or near Broughton Down reserve, are they near this 'forbidding' area? Could we have an example of genius locus?

Although its difficult to tell from the map, I think the 'forbidden valley' is the top section of the cleft in the hill immediatly to the right of the tumuli cluster. The contour lines don't give you much of an impression of how steep parts of the place are. Plus those tumuli arn't the only old manmade feature, my parents found a very difficult to access arrangement of stones after losing one of the dogs last summer in a very wild and wooly part. Bit wierd in an area of chalk downland, so someone must have put them there...
As the highest point for miles it makes sense that its always been significant, but in Hampshire and Wiltshire you're virtually falling over such places, and none of them come near it for a feeling of background wierdness.

Charlie Mouse said:
Doesn't Pan have another aspect? He's supposed to inhabit Edinburgh, and infuses the subject with a sense of comprehension of the one-ness of creation (or something like that!).
If that's what Pan(ic) is then I experience it everytime I step out of my house and look into the woods or up at the night sky (or day sky for that matter).

wolfie said:
This has happened to me - in fact, it happened to a group of us when I was a young lad. It's odd that the "increase in insect noise" appears to be a constant - I read about another such instance in the FT Letters Page following Patrick Harpur's "Landscape of Panic" article a couple of years ago (and was gobsmacked that someone else had experienced the same fear as me).
Here's the article if anyone's interested. Harpur's one of my favorite writers.

WITCH BOTTLE

In my original description of my experience in the woods that day I failed to mention that it is known locally as the Witches Wood. It contains a derelict curling rink and an ancient 'ice hole'.
One very chilly night my friend and I were walking on the frozen rink when I spotted a bottle neck protruding from the ice. On pulling this out we found it to be very peculiar indeed!
Most of the bottle was filled with a selection of seeds and hair. This looked to be coarse horse hair. Around the neck of the bottle were arranged (facing out) a photograph of a house and some people. The neck was sealed with wax. On getting it home we dug this out and removed a tightly-rolled bit of paper. All I can remember is that it mentioned the 33rd degree of masonry (or was it the 99th? It was a log time ago.)and the paper was of the type you would find in a bible. Alas it got lost, but I like to think we broke a curse of some kind by finding the thing. It was only much later that I found out that it may have been a 'witch bottle'. Any more information on this would be appreciated.

I've been lurking around here for a long time and thought it was about time I posted one of my own experiences. I live on the edge of a big town, next to a little village and I often go for a walk that way as it's nice and quiet. Between two of the houses in this village is a footpath and as I'd never been down it before I decided to find out where it went. It was quite pleasant at first. The old village pond is still there and the path winds along quite close to a farm house and its land. I'd been walking a few minuites when the humming started. I thought it was a nest of wasps but couldn't tell where it was coming from. As I walked on it got steadily louder, as it got louder I started to get a very strong feeling that I was not wanted in that place. The Humming got so loud I began to get quite confused and eventually I turned around and pretty much ran back to the main road. This happened about a year ago and I think about it often. There are quite a few pylons around the area and wondered if this was where the noise was comming from, although at the time it seemed to be coming from everywhere around me.

Stephen King once observed that what makes a haunted house tale scary isn't the fact that you're alone - it's precisely the thought that you are not alone which is the key to the terror. I wonder if it's this mechanism that prompts a fearful reaction when walking in the woods.

Given our very ancient memories (did I read that the occasional 'spasm' we sometimes have when falling asleep is a mechanism to ensure we don't fall from a tree?) still surface, perhaps these encounters with Pan are that - a memory that's surfaced prompted by the sensation that you're not alone when you should be.

However - I've never experienced it, but like others, I'm sure it would be fascinating.

Archived text merged into opening post, expanding it by at least 30 words.

There have been a number of "goat-man" sightings reported in the United States in recent years and I've been tempted to equate them with sightings of Pan save that the ones I've read don't seem to involve the feelings of absolutely overwhelming terror ("panic") traditionally associated with encounters with Pan.

For a fictional treatment which neatly captures that feeling of intense terror see Arthur Machen's "The Great God Pan."

Wierdness in the woods

This may sound like the silly error of a country walk but please read on.

Last Sunday i took the dog for his weekend walk in the local country side and all went well until i got diverted along my path. The path became sludgy and thus - i took a dryer path that diverted me alittle up some banking full of trees and bushes. I reached the top of this slope and found rock embedded in the earth. After climbing this slope i decided to sit on these rocks and get my breath. Below i could dimly see the normal path and thought - this is a nice spot. There was a faint path ahead that looked like it safely led downwards so i followed it. Down we went and at the bottom was no normal path! So i looked around expecting to see the stream alongside the normal path - no luck. I retraced my steps and then took another look downwards and only saw trees ahead. Erm, i was confused and climbed the slope again along the route i had just used to descend. I stood and took in my surroundings and laughed to myself for getting lost - not seeing the wood for the trees.

I knew that A: i was on a slope facing downwards. B: the path was below. C: why couldnt i find it?

So down again i went and turned leftwards believing i had veared somewhere silly before. No luck, i stopped looked around and then felt worried! How could i be so silly as to lose my way in a place i had visited for years? The dog didnt help and just sniffed around and stopping occasionally to look at me.

This was it! I marched back up the slope to the top and searched out the rocks - which i found after around 10 mins of panic!

I looked below and saw climpses of the main path and felt alot better - so much for a sunny afternoon walk! I sat on the rocks and lit a cigarette and just felt relief.

It was then that i noticed how quiet it was but let the idea pass. Then i heard heavy breathing of something coming and it sounded like a dog a big one running ! I looked around but saw nothing, the dog was alert and the noise continued.

I ran down the slope with all speed like nothing mattered and when i got to the bottom i slipped and fell on my bottom. The breathing noise was gone
and i picked myself up looked upwards and moved quickly away. Part of me wants to return up there but part of me doesnt!

I left the place with a feeling that had never entered my mind before - being watched! This is a place of such calm and beauty and here i felt so afraid! Wierd!

I glanced along the path as i left the area looking upwards hoping to see my premise back there but only saw clearings - so why did i get lost!

It scared me and left me pondering what happened, why me and what was the noise i heard?

I may be brave this sunday and venture back there with my camera in hand!

Thanks for reading this.

This sounds like 'wilderness panic' to me. I am no expert in the subject and I am just recalling what I can remember.

The idea is that when we are cut off from civilisation, away from all our cozy technology that keeps us safe, something primal can awaken within us. A heightening of our now dorment animal senses which can induce a 'fight or flight' response.

You said you ran. Was this a conscious 'sod this! I am off' action or did you feel an overwhelming sense of fear and compulsion to 'bolt'? I recall reading an article in FT about such feelings experienced in the outdoors. As an interesting aside, the article noted that the word 'panic' comes from the greek meaning 'of Pan'. Pan, of course, being the god of the wilderness.

benrsmith31077 said:
This sounds like 'wilderness panic' to me. I am no expert in the subject and I am just recalling what I can remember.

The idea is that when we are cut off from civilisation, away from all our cozy technology that keeps us safe, something primal can awaken within us. A heightening of our now dorment animal senses which can induce a 'fight or flight' response.

You said you ran. Was this a conscious 'sod this! I am off' action or did you feel an overwhelming sense of fear and compulsion to 'bolt'? I recall reading an article in FT about such feelings experienced in the outdoors. As an interesting aside, the article noted that the word 'panic' comes from the greek meaning 'of Pan'. Pan, of course, being the god of the wilderness.

Hi there and thanks for replying.

Well the breathing noise that got closer and closer did get my dogs attention too and it was at this moment that a feeling of dread entered this episode of wierdness. Looking in the genral direction of the noise revealed nothing so i guess it was fear that led me to run. The dog seemed happy to join me too.

Your idea about wilderness panic is an interesting one. The more i remained lost the more "lost" i felt in myself. It began as a mild "well this is funny" and led to "what the hells happening". This panic changed the enviroment, thes senses must have heightened for i began dismissing a strange idea that simething else was with me nearby.

Very interesting response. Thank you.

I suppose when this pan(ic) happens one should be glad that its daylight and not dark when it occurs.

excuse me for being really stupid but while I was vaguely aware of the god Pan I had never realised the connection with the idea of "panic". Now I come to think of it I can remember a couple of times in my life when I was in a wooded area and suddenly felt a sense of panic associated with one particular spot.

I used to like to walk around the lake near the main house at the Newton St. Loe campus of Bath Spa University a few years ago. I would walk there most sunday mornings. There was one bit, just past the little summer house, travelling slightly uphill where the path was enclosed by trees and bushes - you couldn't see the lake on this little stretch even though it was right there on your left. I always rushed through this bit - often running. I think sometimes I may have turned back the way I came rather than go through it. Strangely, I kept going back even though I didn't like that one bit.

You could explain it away because it was a bit dark and gave me a feeling of claustrophobia, but I wasn't scared of other dark wooded areas I can think of where I also walked alone - just this one.

Thinking about that time I now remember one day I had walked a little further and came up over the brow of a hill (this was beyond the sports pitches) and suddenly in front of me was a HUGE stag. Must have been no more than 10 metres away and I just stood still for a long time looking at it. A lot of the countryside I seem to walk through is like that - not far from civilisation but remarkably wild all the same!

The late Tom Lethbridge theorised that odd spots and areas that changed the mood where effected by a memory that was stored in some water source nearby or directly underground.

The memory as he put it was a captured shot of a person and their emotions some time in the past and it usually involved strong/unhappy emotions. Tom suspected that gloomy emotions stored far easily than happy ones,

He got identical results with his pendulum at such sites.(mostly finding a underground source of water under the the spot of all reports)

He also theorised standing in specific spot would trigger not just an mental reactiion or replay but also (could) a visual one.

interesting... the lake I mentioned was a man-made one (the grounds are a bit Capability Brown) but there might have been some sort of natural water source there originally.

Just to update my experience in the woods.

Last week i was travelling home earlier than expected and pasted through the vale so i stopped and decided whilst i felt confident to visit my area of fear.

I retraced my steps and found the path up along the banking. I ventured upwards seeing destinctive memories but couldnt find the rocks i sat on.

I found the path along the top that led downwards into undergrowth but this looked untouched and puzzled me, even scared me alittle - so i back tracked back along my path.

Can i say here that this time all seemed fine and not like the feeling or strangeness described before. This puzzled me for what happened DID happen yet i found myself back with no repeat of strangeness????

Blimey, I hadn't thought of this in ages....

The wife and myself have just come back from spending a few days in my hometown with my mum in Northumberland.

While we were there I took everyone out for a drive and on the way past by a Stretch of moor land near Wooler in the foothills of the Cheviots. As we drove past I found my self recounting to my wife an experience I had while walking there in the late 90s, oddly I realised that I hadn’t thought of it much in years, as it really does warrant me posting here am surprised I have never written it up before now.

Simply put, I was hiking across Weetwood moor, east of Wooler. It was mid afternoon, and I had eaten, I had taken on board plenty of water as well, I (as always) haf map and compass. It When about 2 thirds of the way across the moors I was suddenly overcome with most terrific panic. It just came out of nowhere. One second I was walking and taking in the views and the next I was abjectly petrified. It was the most awful feeling, I even now can sort of recall how it felt like nothing I have experienced since.

It was almost like vertigo, but I had this huge awareness of the sky above, as if it was suddenly massive and it (or something) was about to come crashing down. I literally dropped to the ground and hung on for about 30 seconds. I can recall I didn’t for a few moments know which way was up. The best I can describe it as being as if the moor was on some kind of roller coaster, and I couldn’t work out if I let go that I would be pushed harder into the ground or literally “drop off “ the ground and into the sky!

This lasted as I say about 30 seconds then it stopped, and was replaced with the most intense urge simply to get off the moor. I could feel my whole body tensed and readied just to run in a mad panic. I think I managed to keep my wits about me knowing that running blindly across heather moor land with lots of hidden dips, crags and marshy bogs was not a clever move. But I could feel I actually had to fight the muscles in my legs that seemed to be cramping in effort to move.

The just suddenly the whole thing seemed to subside. I came out of it and just half crouched and got my head back together. I recall looking round and not seeing anyone or thing that could have provoked it. I carried on walking back to Wooler and all the way felt really knackered and sore. I can remember that the muscles in my thighs and calf’s seemed to be in agony as if I had strained them all.

I was (at the time) in fairly good condition, and I was used to moor land walking and never found any reason to be worried or disturbed before while hiking and map reading on my own. It’s odd that I have only really thought about this now, the trip really brought it back and so I post it here.

Mr P

Edit: Google map view of the area. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 04801&z=18

It would be so atmospheric with photos of some of these places! Does anyone want to go back with a camera?

BossKR wrote:
It would be so atmospheric with photos of some of these places! Does anyone want to go back with a camera?

I will next I time I am up in Northumberland, see if I can get some shots on the moor. I have no problems about going back.

Two things re 'buzzing'. First, although I have only a few unaccountable (to me!) experiences, they have been accompanied say 75% of the time by a change in the quality of sound around me and a buzzing 'feeling' rather than a sound - it is somehwt as if I was touching something vibrating at a very high frequency.

I don't mean trembling in fear, I mean something that is almost on the borderline between sound and vibration.

Secondly, though, when I was in my early teens I had several episodes of black outs - very short - and these would be preceeded by a strange woolly feeling that also had elements of this 'buzzing'.

I wonder if it is actually a physiological thing connected with apprehension or some other stimulus? Are the people who experienced it in PANic situations sure it was an external sound?

I can`t say whether this is the "panic" being referred to, but it was an odd experience.

Today, on the way home from a bit of a road trip, I decided to stop off at a park to let my son burn off some of the energy from being trapped in the car for hours. It was a small reservoir lake with a park (slide, swings, climbing bars, etc) next to it.

Very typical, normal sort of place.

My son wasn`t very interested in playing right away, so we decided to follow the path around the lake and explore a bit. After walking about halfway - it just felt wrong. Despite not being all that isolated, it felt oddly cut off from everything. The sound of the insects, and the presence of the quiet body of water was... I can`t call it anything other than oppressive. My son also started getting scared and wanted to turn back NOW. Moments before he`d been happily hunting for turtles in the water near the bank.

Nothing actually happened, but there was just this overwhelming feeling of foreboding and hopelessness that hit both of us. We hurried back to the car and left as quickly as possible.

First time poster here, so not expecting to be taken seriously... And doubly naughty for reopening a long-dead thread. I apologise, but this seemed the most appropriate way to proceed.

The following is as best as I can remember, the events of one night in about 1996. It could have been as early as '92, as I lived in Plymouth for four years while at university, but for some reason I feel it was later, as I think the group I was with were in our last throes of close friendship before we all went our separate ways into the big wide world.

None of us were particularly heavy drinkers, nor into recreational substances, but we all had a fascination with the supernatural and folklore. There were about eight or nine of us, and we'd often pack into two cars on a Friday night, and drive up to Dartmoor (Princeton, The Devil's Elbow pub) and drive around the various local weird spots- Jay's Grave, the Hairy Hands road, Bren Tor, etc, just chatting and seeing what we could see.

One night, we'd been to Jay's Grave (where a small plastic gnome had joined the flowers, much to our delight), and had driven up a dirt track between a wood and a field for some reason. I guess we needed to answer the call of nature- because my last "normal" memory of it is of the two cars parked and us all outside.

I remember looking up over the hedgerow and seeing... Well, I can only describe it as a giant. A man, about ten- fifteen feet tall at least, his face framed with hair, looking down at me. I remember us all getting in the cars and driving at speed down the track towards the road, and watching out the window as this giant paced us behind the hedge. I remember seeing his body when the hedge broke- and yes, seeing the typical bare chest, furry legs and cloven hooves of what I recognised as "Pan".

We reached the end of the track, turned into the road and sped off.

And never spoke of it again.

I don't remember ever even thinking of it again all the time we were finishing our studies... Or in the years since. And then, a few years ago, I bought one of the Fortean Times 'It Happened to Me' books, and devoured it before my kids could nick it. A very similar story was featured- and it all came back in what I can only describe as an overload of sudden memory, which made me immediately sit down hard and remain shell shocked for the day.

A while later (months) I plucked up courage to contact some of the people who I knew had been with me that night, on Facebook and ask them if they remembered anything at all odd happening. I made sure to keep it lighthearted and certainly didn't give any details of what I "remembered". Of five people, one (female) ignored my question and has never replied since, continuing a friendship but studiously avoiding any mention of our university years, and the four guys deleted me within a few days- after over twenty years of friendship.

So. Has anyone else seen/experienced anything similar in that part of the world, and has anyone ever had a shared experience that has led to forgetting and then sudden memory recall which leads to people acting so out of character.

Interestingly, despite loving Devon and Cornwall passionately when I lived there, and travelling all over the UK since, I've never been back to the Westcountry since I left uni in 1996. And I have no idea why.

First time poster here, so not expecting to be taken seriously... And doubly naughty for reopening a long-dead thread. I apologise, but this seemed the most appropriate way to proceed.

The following is as best as I can remember, the events of one night in about 1996. It could have been as early as '92, as I lived in Plymouth for four years while at university, but for some reason I feel it was later, as I think the group I was with were in our last throes of close friendship before we all went our separate ways into the big wide world.

None of us were particularly heavy drinkers, nor into recreational substances, but we all had a fascination with the supernatural and folklore. There were about eight or nine of us, and we'd often pack into two cars on a Friday night, and drive up to Dartmoor (Princeton, The Devil's Elbow pub) and drive around the various local weird spots- Jay's Grave, the Hairy Hands road, Bren Tor, etc, just chatting and seeing what we could see.

One night, we'd been to Jay's Grave (where a small plastic gnome had joined the flowers, much to our delight), and had driven up a dirt track between a wood and a field for some reason. I guess we needed to answer the call of nature- because my last "normal" memory of it is of the two cars parked and us all outside.

I remember looking up over the hedgerow and seeing... Well, I can only describe it as a giant. A man, about ten- fifteen feet tall at least, his face framed with hair, looking down at me. I remember us all getting in the cars and driving at speed down the track towards the road, and watching out the window as this giant paced us behind the hedge. I remember seeing his body when the hedge broke- and yes, seeing the typical bare chest, furry legs and cloven hooves of what I recognised as "Pan".

We reached the end of the track, turned into the road and sped off.

And never spoke of it again.

I don't remember ever even thinking of it again all the time we were finishing our studies... Or in the years since. And then, a few years ago, I bought one of the Fortean Times 'It Happened to Me' books, and devoured it before my kids could nick it. A very similar story was featured- and it all came back in what I can only describe as an overload of sudden memory, which made me immediately sit down hard and remain shell shocked for the day.

A while later (months) I plucked up courage to contact some of the people who I knew had been with me that night, on Facebook and ask them if they remembered anything at all odd happening. I made sure to keep it lighthearted and certainly didn't give any details of what I "remembered". Of five people, one (female) ignored my question and has never replied since, continuing a friendship but studiously avoiding any mention of our university years, and the four guys deleted me within a few days- after over twenty years of friendship.

So. Has anyone else seen/experienced anything similar in that part of the world, and has anyone ever had a shared experience that has led to forgetting and then sudden memory recall which leads to people acting so out of character.

Interestingly, despite loving Devon and Cornwall passionately when I lived there, and travelling all over the UK since, I've never been back to the Westcountry since I left uni in 1996. And I have no idea why.

Well that was an impressive first post! Is there anyway you can find out why they all cut off contact with you?

That sounds like a common reaction, where people go into denial.

Back