• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Clowns: Evil Or Funny?

Clowns: Evil or funny?

• Clowns are evil and out to get you

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Clowns are funny and out to entertain you

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Clowns are sad blokes trying to make a living

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Clowns are a national institution - how dare you imply that they are sinister in any way

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
I'll have nothing said against that movie Spooky, it's sheer class!!! :D

Especially the way they did the shadow pictures on the wall, much better than the bunny rabbits I do on the screen in staff meetings. :D

Mothfox said:
Anyone here seen "Shakes the Clown"? -Sad and funny both (but not really evil). Features a bar where both mimes and clowns hang out, and feud drunkenly. My favorite moment is when a drunken mime shouts "F*ck you, clown!" at Shakes (who is played by the incomparable Bobat Goldwaithe, so that gives you some idea what this movie is like).
Ahh, the Citizen Kane of Alcoholic Clown Movies (from the back cover of the video). You forgot to mention the rivalry with the Rodeo Clowns, who consider party clowns like the protagonist to be pathetic losers. Which he is, but not because he's a party clown.

And there was at least one evil clown in it, Shakes' nemesis, whose name escapes me because it's been several years since I watched the film.

Back to the topic, of course clowns are evil. How do you think they get 20 people into a Fiat Bambino, or similar? Black magic. They have to sacrifice a virgin before each performance to appease the Clown Demons.

I too had problems dealing with clowns and department store Santas as a child. It always worried me that my parents didn't want me talking to strangers, but they would drag me up to some unemployed wino dressed in a red suit and fake beard, and make me sit on his lap. Then they'd wonder why I became a gibbering mess, and think there was something wrong with me.

Spooky angel said:
Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

The title says it all, and no, that's not a typo. :rolleyes:

That the one where they wrapped thier prey in cotton candy cocoons?

Spooky angel said:
Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

The title says it all, and no, that's not a typo. :rolleyes:

I've avoided that one on purpose.:eek!!!!:

anome said:
Ahh, the Citizen Kane of Alcoholic Clown Movies (from the back cover of the video). You forgot to mention the rivalry with the Rodeo Clowns, who consider party clowns like the protagonist to be pathetic losers. Which he is, but not because he's a party clown.

And there was at least one evil clown in it, Shakes' nemesis, whose name escapes me because it's been several years since I watched the film.

Back to the topic, of course clowns are evil. How do you think they get 20 people into a Fiat Bambino, or similar? Black magic. They have to sacrifice a virgin before each performance to appease the Clown Demons.

I too had problems dealing with clowns and department store Santas as a child. It always worried me that my parents didn't want me talking to strangers, but they would drag me up to some unemployed wino dressed in a red suit and fake beard, and make me sit on his lap. Then they'd wonder why I became a gibbering mess, and think there was something wrong with me.

Anome,
your post has made me realize how much of this fine movie I've forgotten; it's time to see it again!
--And about those department store Santas; I vividly remember a Santa from my youth who actually prowled the store looking for kids:eek!!!!: . He got me while I was looking at the Barbies (being a tomboy, I was very embarassed about this Barbie fascination,anyway) ...I howled and ran for the exit. My folks were *not thrilled*:eek:

Mothfox (Ya' know,I shoulda' used the Barbie as a defensive weapon....)

This morning I seetled down to watch something I video'd last night - only to discover it wasn't on the tape! (must have forgotten to press Record! :rolleyes: )

But instead I found the last episode of the latest League of Gentlemen series. Anyone with a phobia about clowns would do well to avoid this one! Seriously evil! :eek!!!!:

Mothfox said:
Anome,
your post has made me realize how much of this fine movie I've forgotten; it's time to see it again!
--And about those department store Santas; I vividly remember a Santa from my youth who actually prowled the store looking for kids:eek!!!!: . He got me while I was looking at the Barbies (being a tomboy, I was very embarassed about this Barbie fascination,anyway) ...I howled and ran for the exit. My folks were *not thrilled*:eek:

Mothfox (Ya' know,I shoulda' used the Barbie as a defensive weapon....)
Had you also forgotten Florence Henderson as a needy one night stand? Robin Williams as Mime Jerry? It was a film noticeable for its minor cast.

I can only think of one way to use a Barbie as a weapon, and I think I speak on behalf of all men when I say "OUCH!"

"Whose the clown in the bathroom, mom?"

Anome, I think you've pictured my intended barbie use perfectly!:D

I really ought to stop and think BEFORE I hit the 'submit' button--I seem to recall that Robin Williams was a mime before he became a comedian...finally the poor dear dicovered that there was no road to riches miming.

Clowns...[shudders]

I don't like clowns. Never have. I have been to circus's when I was small and would just think "What is wrong with those guys??" I don't really have the whole "pie in the face" slapstick sense of humor, so I never got the whole clown thing. Plus, there is just something very disturbing about a big red fake painted smile. Ewwww creepy...:eek!!!!:

Yes they are.

Spooky and I came up with a theory in IRC the other night;
that Santa is also a depiction of evil clownage - just look!
Even his head reindeer has a red nose!

I say burn em.

The only decent clown was James Stewart in The Greatest Show On Earth. He was quite sweet, but then I don't classify him as a proper clown as he was hiding from the law after helping his wife commit euthanasia, so he wasn't wear that bizarre make up completely out of choice.
And yes, I always found men dressed as Santa scary, but then I mentioned that in the "irrational fears" thread.

For a REALLY scarey Santa, check out the first couple of minutes of the movie "City of Lost Children".
**Brr...**

TVgeek

My friend wore a GREAT t-shirt the other day (okay, last weekend):

Can't sleep, the clowns will get me...

My life has been eerily intertwined with clowns. But not by choice. I know three people who have a serious phobia about them. And a rather misguided colleague let her 6 year old son watch "It". Weeks later he encountered a clown entertaining at a children's party. I think the poor kid is still having therapy. Even clown cakes give him flashbacks.

Two years ago at a carnival, a clown passed us by and my boyfriend, perhaps misguidedly, muttered: "All clowns are ****ing nonces."
The clown in question stopped dead and stared at us. Hard.

I went to an engagement party and for some odd reason a clown was wandering about. Even the happy couple didn't know who he was. Maybe a guest in disguise? When it was time to leave I couldn't find my friend Kerry anywhere. I finally found her in some abandoned corner, sitting astride the clown and snogging him wildly. Curbing my horror, I quietly left.

Last Summer my town had a "Festival of the Sea" celebration. My 5 year old niece wanted to get a free animal shaped balloon that was being made nearby. I took her over, managed to get to the front of the crowd and realised that it was a clown - the scariest one I've ever seen - constructing the animal shapes. I have to admit, he was quite diligent in his task, making sausage dogs for hundreds of little children and keeping on an even keel. That was, until he saw me. He gave me this macabre grin. His teeth were all rotten, making them look pointed and evil. Until it was my niece's turn to get her balloon, he continued to leer at me, looking me up and down like a piece of meat - or a potential victim. I was nonplussed. Out of 1000 people he had to focus on me. I had a feeling he could see through to my soul.

Can clowns smell fear?

Hayzee Comet said:
Can clowns smell fear?
Of course. They thrive on it. They are driven by the same motives that make cats so affectionate towards the people who like them least. They live to make our lives a misery, slowly driving our children mad, working their way into positions of trust, where they can subvert society to their own insidious purposes.

Or it could just be they're a bunch of sad old men in funny makeup.

I have always found that clowns refuse to come anywhere near me, its as if they are frightened.....

Chriswsm said:
I have always found that clowns refuse to come anywhere near me, its as if they are frightened.....
Can we all come and stay with you when the balloon animal goes up? :( :monster:

Sure :)

Balloon animals don't bother me unless thay are made outta real animals.

I will fend off the clowns for you my lady for they fear me for my naural red nose, huge feet and ability to squirt watery substances accurately over a long distance :eek!!!!:

Fallen Angel said:
My friend wore a GREAT t-shirt the other day (okay, last weekend):

I would kill to get hold of one of those, FA!
Where did he/she get it?

I am reminded of the early 80s when iron-on letters were the fashion - I had a tee shirt with WEIRDO on it in big red letters.
Like I need to advertise........:p

Quite simple, actually:
Clowns are funny because they are evil. :eek!!!!:

(errrr, maybe that just says more about me than about clowns...)

For me it is the fact that they can get away with stuff that as a kid you'd get wallopped for, trying to make you laugh out of someone elses pain...
That bit in Poltergeist, where the lad throws a blanket over the clown doll, and then finds it under the bed? I pointed that out to my BF as an explanation of why I hate clowns, he couldn't see it.
What warped individual buys a kid a clown toy anyway??!?

bottom of page at site below

List of Ass Clowns
The 100 idiots from Hollywood, the ones that wrote the letter to W. We have all the names for you. It's broken into three pieces - Part I | Part II | Part III
Dave Matthews and Madonna just added.

http://www.schnittshow.com
Mod Edit: The list alluded to in the text above is no longer at the bottom of the page. Archives only go back to 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clowns in Europe are generally regarded as loveable buffoons. It's over on the other side of the pond (the Americas) where the big "evil clown" thing seems big.

I reckon it's a mass psychosis brought about by too many kids watching Twighlight Zone and late night movies when they should have been tucked up in bed! :_pished:

You people and your 'Clownist' attitudes.
We (the clown minority) are funny loving rouges, who want nothing more than to entertain (sniff).

So we wear baggy pants, so we were more makeup than goths, so we scare the living sh*t out of small children, its just our way.

People, a little tolerance please

Or we come and get you in your sleep

Back