• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Soo... you're assigning deaths to covid... because you don't have a different scapegoat to blame them on? that's what this looks like to me. You're not even examining causation. You're just looking at numbers and trying to scapegoat the events. For each case you need to look at why the individual died... and the statistics I linked already have that collated. https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/h...ovisional-mortality-statistics/latest-release but you reject those numbers because they don't suit your perception.

What were the causes if not Covid? You ask. Ok... you want to know? Read the statistics. I actually posted a link to Australian mortality statistics. There was a lot of things. June had ~70 more people die of diabetes than the average... why? hmm... dunno. but if you want me to disregard what their death certificates say... you better give me more than just a scapegoat.

Oh and since I left this out by accident last time:

This is what we're talking about here. Mortality figures are up and not all of them are Covid. Simple as that.

also... one thing that you may not have thought about is that, by arbitrarily reassigning cause of death post autopsy, your stance is basically accusing the people writing death certificates of not doing their jobs properly. don't get me wrong, they're fallible humans, but to just blanket rewrite THOUSANDS of death certificates and go "this guy actually died of Covid"? Uh, no. and yes, this example from early 2022 has 6,292 deaths more than the historical average... none of which was assigned as a Covid-19 casualty by the medical professionals logging the cause of death.

As someone once said, the big picture is made up of a thousand little pictures. to see it clearly you need all those to be arranged properly, and to do so you need to look at them all. Kinda like an old-school stained-glass window. you make it by taking hundreds of pieces of colored glass and arranging them to make an image. You don't just throw the glass in a pile.
Once again you shy away from addressing my points directly. Readers will draw their own conclusions.

If I follow your chain of logic correctly, you think that all or most of the excess deaths are attributable to non-covid causes. If these are non-covid, that is one hell of a coincidence.

Could you please show us where exactly I wrote that "arbitrarily reassigning cause of death post autopsy, your stance is basically accusing the people writing death certificates of not doing their jobs properly" ? Or where I even implied it?

Please respond to each of my questions directly.

Once again you shy away from addressing my points directly. Readers will draw their own conclusions.

If I follow your chain of logic correctly, you think that all or most of the excess deaths are attributable to non-covid causes. If these are non-covid, that is one hell of a coincidence.

Could you please show us where exactly I wrote that "arbitrarily reassigning cause of death post autopsy, your stance is basically accusing the people writing death certificates of not doing their jobs properly" ? Or where I even implied it?

Please respond to each of my questions directly.
Lolwut? you want me to do a Q&A style response and refuse to accept anything else?

Enh... here's one for you...
EndlesslyAmazed: Or where I even implied it?

Marhawkman: Well, actually, you did. Right here:
EndlesslyAmazed: "The excess death rates for 2020 and 2021 clearly show a very great increase in deaths: an anomaly. "
EndlesslyAmazed: "The conclusion is that covid is responsible for these excess deaths."

Marhawkman: Like I said before, you're ignoring that these deaths have documented causes. Each individual one has a death certificate, or it wouldn't even be in the tally at all. But you said in your own words: "The conclusion is that covid is responsible for these excess deaths." Even though the death certificates don't support that.

Lolwut? you want me to do a Q&A style response and refuse to accept anything else?

Enh... here's one for you...
EndlesslyAmazed: Or where I even implied it?

Marhawkman: Well, actually, you did. Right here:
EndlesslyAmazed: "The excess death rates for 2020 and 2021 clearly show a very great increase in deaths: an anomaly. "
EndlesslyAmazed: "The conclusion is that covid is responsible for these excess deaths."

Marhawkman: Like I said before, you're ignoring that these deaths have documented causes. Each individual one has a death certificate, or it wouldn't even be in the tally at all. But you said in your own words: "The conclusion is that covid is responsible for these excess deaths." Even though the death certificates don't support that.
These are offensive posts:
@Endlessly Amazed BEHOLD!!!!! these excess deaths... aren't recorded as Covid fatalities....”
“Still thinking about if I wanna bother.”
"Lolwut? you want me to do a Q&A style response and refuse to accept anything else?"

If your goal was to offend, then you have succeeded. If this was not your goal, then please take my observation as feedback on your public discourse.

My questions were to find clarification of what you are stating. That you will not or can not respond is the clarification I was seeking.

The death certificates in the US do support the conclusion that covid was the main cause of the excess deaths. You carefully do not address that fact that the death rate was the greatest, by far, since the WW2 deaths. No other cause - not cancer, heart disease, natural disasters, etc. - can be identified for this. This holds true for the several countries which keep good records which the public has access to.

I applaud your debate-like responses – but they are better suited for a debate and not a discussion. I am only interested in a discussion, because I think debates offer little in terms of clarification of differing points of view. Your debating tactics, offensive writing, and lack of providing authoritatively sourced details for your point of view convince me that I need not continue with this.

These are offensive posts:
@Endlessly Amazed BEHOLD!!!!! these excess deaths... aren't recorded as Covid fatalities....”
“Still thinking about if I wanna bother.”
"Lolwut? you want me to do a Q&A style response and refuse to accept anything else?"

If your goal was to offend, then you have succeeded. If this was not your goal, then please take my observation as feedback on your public discourse.

My questions were to find clarification of what you are stating. That you will not or can not respond is the clarification I was seeking.

The death certificates in the US do support the conclusion that covid was the main cause of the excess deaths. You carefully do not address that fact that the death rate was the greatest, by far, since the WW2 deaths. No other cause - not cancer, heart disease, natural disasters, etc. - can be identified for this. This holds true for the several countries which keep good records which the public has access to.

I applaud your debate-like responses – but they are better suited for a debate and not a discussion. I am only interested in a discussion, because I think debates offer little in terms of clarification of differing points of view. Your debating tactics, offensive writing, and lack of providing authoritatively sourced details for your point of view convince me that I need not continue with this.
And you have provided what? You keep demanding I say exactly what you want and seemingly change what you want each time.... while giving me nothing but more demands. I genuinely don't know WHAT you're demanding I respond to at this point.

more specifically you say:
"The death certificates in the US do support the conclusion that covid was the main cause of the excess deaths. You carefully do not address that fact that the death rate was the greatest, by far, since the WW2 deaths. No other cause - not cancer, heart disease, natural disasters, etc. - can be identified for this. This holds true for the several countries which keep good records which the public has access to."

Well, I gave you an example of one country (Australia) who by most definitions is a country with good records... and has records which disagree with your conclusion. You... despite saying this:
"lack of providing authoritatively sourced details"

You gave me NO sources whatsoever.... while demanding I give you sources. You claim to want a polite discussion? Are you sure? I could enumerate why I take offense at your posts, but I doubt it would matter one iota.

Another conviction.

A man who pleaded guilty to conspiring to kidnap Michigan’s governor in 2020 has been sentenced to four years in prison.

Kaleb Franks was rewarded for testifying for prosecutors at two trials. His sentence was longer than the term given to another man who was the first to plead guilty but it still carried a significant benefit.

Franks “made the right decision and came clean. That’s encouraging,” US District Judge Robert Jonker said. ...

Franks, 28, participated in a key step in the conspiracy: a ride on a rainy night to scout Whitmer’s vacation home in northern Michigan. She was not there at the time.

He testified that he had hoped to be killed by police if a kidnapping could be pulled off at some point. The FBI, however, had undercover agents and informants inside the group.

“I was going to be an operator,” Franks said last spring. “I would be one of the people on the front line, so to speak, using my gun.”

Prosecutors said Franks’ cooperation was important because it backed up critical testimony from Ty Garbin, who pleaded guilty a year earlier and was sentenced to just two and a half years in prison. ...

Two men described as leaders of the conspiracy, Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr, were convicted in August. Two other men, Daniel Harris and Brandon Caserta, were acquitted in April.

“They didn’t just want to kidnap her,” Mr Kessler said in court Thursday. “The plot that Mr Fox and Mr Croft really wanted to do was to put (Whitmer) on trial, kill her and begin a second civil war. What’s really frightening about that is just how prevalent those kind of views have become.”

Meanwhile, 120 miles away in Jackson, Michigan, a jury heard a second day of testimony in the trial of three members of a paramilitary group who were also arrested in 2020.

Joe Morrison, Pete Musico and Paul Bellar are not charged with directly participating in the plot but are accused of assisting Fox and others.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/s...idnap-plot-jailed-for-four-years-1373957.html

Three more convictions.

Three men accused of supporting a plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor were convicted of all charges Wednesday, a triumph for state prosecutors after months of mixed results in the main case in federal court.

Joe Morrison, his father-in-law Pete Musico, and Paul Bellar were found guilty of providing “material support” for a terrorist act as members of a paramilitary group, the Wolverine Watchmen.

They held gun drills in rural Jackson County with a leader of the scheme, Adam Fox, who was disgusted with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and other officials in 2020 and said he wanted to kidnap her.

Jurors read and heard violent, anti-government screeds as well as support for the “boogaloo,” a civil war that might be triggered by a shocking abduction. Prosecutors said COVID-19 restrictions ordered by Whitmer turned out to be fruit to recruit more people to the Watchmen.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trio...kidnap-gov-whitmer_n_6359503ce4b04cf8f38a2a77

14 State Attorney General's Object to CDC Child Vaccine Decision​

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) last week approved adding Covid-19 vaccinations to the recommended vaccine schedules for children and adults. Although the vote for the recommendation was unanimous, several members of the ACIP stressed they were not setting a requirement for anyone to be vaccinated. The recommendation included a statement which stressed this was not a requirement for children to attend school. "Adding the COVID-19 vaccine to the recommended childhood immunization schedule does not constitute a requirement that any child receive the vaccine," offered Dr. Nirav Shah, an ACIP member and Director of Maine's Center for Disease Control and Prevention. The meeting started rumors saying the vote created a nationwide student mandate. Even though this isn’t true, it did start a series of legal moves by state attorney generals.

14 State Attorney General's Object to CDC Child Vaccine Decision​

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) last week approved adding Covid-19 vaccinations to the recommended vaccine schedules for children and adults. Although the vote for the recommendation was unanimous, several members of the ACIP stressed they were not setting a requirement for anyone to be vaccinated. The recommendation included a statement which stressed this was not a requirement for children to attend school. "Adding the COVID-19 vaccine to the recommended childhood immunization schedule does not constitute a requirement that any child receive the vaccine," offered Dr. Nirav Shah, an ACIP member and Director of Maine's Center for Disease Control and Prevention. The meeting started rumors saying the vote created a nationwide student mandate. Even though this isn’t true, it did start a series of legal moves by state attorney generals.

So even though, as I read this, the decision only involved discussion of vaccine schedules for children, and a statement was made that said children are not required to be vaccinated, several state attorney generals started legal moves?:rolleyes: Against, or for, what?

I wonder if any of these attorney generals are looking for votes (I have no idea of the US government structure)? What a waste of time and resources.

So even though, as I read this, the decision only involved discussion of vaccine schedules for children, and a statement was made that said children are not required to be vaccinated, several state attorney generals started legal moves?:rolleyes: Against, or for, what?

I wonder if any of these attorney generals are looking for votes (I have no idea of the US government structure)? What a waste of time and resources.

AMA CXO Todd Unger discusses the latest on COVID vaccines for kids under 5 with AMA Director of Science, Medicine and Public Health Andrea Garcia. Also covering progress on Moderna's and Pfizer's EUAs, and identifying questions parents might have for physicians about getting their kids vaccinated.
0:00 AMA COVID-19 Update for June 22, 2022 0:30 Share the latest on Covid vaccines for kids under 5
1:30 What did the AMA's statement say about the vaccine authorization?
2:39 Parents and families with questions should speak with their pediatrician
3:37 What are the differences between the EUAs? 4:44 What should physicians tell parents to watch for as they get their initial doses?
6:02 What about parents wondering which COVID vaccine is better?
7:14 What will kids vaccine roll out look like—and how many children will it impact?
7:58 Still seeing more than 100,000 COVID cases each day

8:49 What about COVID hospitalizations?
9:50 What about COVID-related deaths?
10:49 Is this good news overall?
11:56 Important to stay up to date with boosters and vaccines Stay up to date on the latest information about the pandemic: https://ama-assn.org/covid-19-resources.

Visit the COVID-19 Daily Video Updates page for more videos in this series: https://ama-assn.org/covid-19-videos.

FDA vaccine adviser warns healthy young people SHOULDN'T get new bivalent COVID booster: Says it's 'unfair to make them take a risk' after data suggested shot offered worse protection than its predecessor

A top vaccine expert and pediatric doctor is cautioning parents of healthy young people to hold off getting the new COVID booster shot, saying it can carry risks and its efficacy hasn't yet been proven. Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and a member of the Food and Drug Administration's Vaccine Advisory Committee, said he's not fully sold on the benefits of a third shot outweighing the harm. 'Who really benefits from another dose?' Offit said on CNN. The newly developed dose, called a bivalent vaccine, is a cocktail of the original coronavirus strain combined with parts of the omicron BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants. The hope being that people would be able to fight a broader range of more highly contagious virus mutations. But writing in the Wall Street Journal earlier this week, Offitt said preliminary data suggested the new bivalent vaccines were actually worse at warding off COVID infections than the first generation of shots.

Last edited:
Essentially no covid in Uganda. Only 5 cases in a population of around 44 million people with only 27% of the population fully vaccinated.

Covid, vaccines, malaria​

Some more discussion about the lab leak hypothesis. Some very circumstantial evidence:

https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...nstitute-of-virology-in-november-of-2019.html

Pro-Publica (with Vanity Fair) is putting their reputation on the line with a very damning report suggesting COVID emerged from a lab leak at the Wuhan Institute of Virology. The new information isn’t about the virus but about political reports that indicate that there was some kind of emergency at the lab in November of 2019, an emergency that was so serious Xi himself got involved.

On the other hand, though, quite a lot of introverts and people at home with their own company - not just the incels (if they are ever at home with their own company) - must have approached lockdown with a schadenfreude-laden smirk as lots of other people got cranky and stir-crazy.

On the other hand, though, quite a lot of introverts and people at home with their own company - not just the incels (if they are ever at home with their own company) - must have approached lockdown with a schadenfreude-laden smirk as lots of other people got cranky and stir-crazy.
During the lockdowns, my life didn't change substantially.

I feel called out by this post! :cynic:

Don't forget the growing number of people who'd already been privileged to work mostly - or even exclusively - from home. The ones who faced the most disruptions and hassles were the ones still obligated to leave home for the workplace (and other daily venues of exposure to one's local population) day after day.

During the lockdowns, my life didn't change substantially.
Having spent the previous two decades working from home I didn't expect - or experience - much change from my longstanding routines. Except for the minor adjustments to accommodate vaccinations, masking, distancing / non-contact, and shopping less often / more efficiently the last two years haven't been significantly different from the preceding twenty (for me).

Excellent article with multiple links to many other reliable reports and data.
A bit of a long read, but very interesting.

"The evidence that the coronavirus originated in a lab is now compelling, as is the evidence that the virus was spreading undetected all over the world by autumn 2019, with one blood sample from Lombardy found to be positive for both viral RNA and antibodies as early as September 12th 2019.
One crucial outstanding question is who knew what and when. In particular, what did the U.S. know about the virus before January 2020 and what did the Chinese Government know, and what part did each therefore play in driving forward the pandemic emergency?"

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/11/16...al-run-for-responding-to-a-biological-attack/

"The evidence that the coronavirus originated in a lab is now compelling, as is the evidence that the virus was spreading undetected all over the world by autumn 2019, with one blood sample from Lombardy found to be positive for both viral RNA and antibodies as early as September 12th 2019.
One crucial outstanding question is who knew what and when. In particular, what did the U.S. know about the virus before January 2020 and what did the Chinese Government know, and what part did each therefore play in driving forward the pandemic emergency?"

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/11/16...al-run-for-responding-to-a-biological-attack/
Yes it was they lab, no it wasn’t. Is what we’ve been getting.

I have always been of the belief that it was a lab leak. The fact it came from a place where they study these things was too much of a coincidence. Also the lab had already been pulled up about unsatisfactory safety measures in the past.

Trev666, thanks for sharing this. I think it belongs in the conspiracy thread, as several aspects, interpretations, and conclusions in the article tend in that direction.

I considered that but seeing as it is more a news item which has amalgamated lots of items, reports etc, there are obviously some 'conspiracy theory' aspects to it, but mostly the things that were originally pointed at and called 'conspiracy theories' have in fact since been proven to be true to either a lesser or greater extent.

I agree, but really it's not just the United States that should be held accountable but also the rest of the world governments.

Indeed. The full article does go into more detail regarding who knew what, where, and when, so the US is not singled out for accountability.
Many of the linked articles from other sources also include multiple other agencies, companies, governments, and individuals too.

Study suggests that anti-vaxxers are bad drivers.

This study from Canada, published in the American Journal of Medicine, is pretty telling about anti-vaxxers and reminds us they don't care about anyone else.

Folk who are unwilling to follow common-sense public healthy safety guidelines are also likely unwilling to follow simple stuff like traffic laws. A willingness to acquire and transmit a deadly pandemic suggests one may not care who lives or dies on the road.

Good neighbors.

If these guys are too smart for the Centers for Disease Control imagine how they feel about the Department of Motor Vehicles!

Fortune via Yahoo:

They found that the unvaccinated people were 72% more likely to be involved in a severe traffic crash—in which at least one person was transported to the hospital—than those who were vaccinated. That's similar to the increased risk of car crashes for people with sleep apnea, though only about half that of people who abuse alcohol, researchers found.
The excess risk of car crash posed by unvaccinated drivers "exceeds the safety gains from modern automobile engineering advances and also imposes risks on other road users," the authors wrote.
Of course, skipping a COVID vaccine does not mean that someone will get into a car crash. Instead, the authors theorize that people who resist public health recommendations might also "neglect basic road safety guidelines."

https://boingboing.net/2022/12/14/a...man-safety-also-makes-them-lousy-drivers.html

This study from Canada, published in the American Journal of Medicine, is pretty telling about anti-vaxxers and reminds us they don't care about anyone else.

Folk who are unwilling to follow common-sense public healthy safety guidelines are also likely unwilling to follow simple stuff like traffic laws. A willingness to acquire and transmit a deadly pandemic suggests one may not care who lives or dies on the road.

Good neighbors.

If these guys are too smart for the Centers for Disease Control imagine how they feel about the Department of Motor Vehicles!

Fortune via Yahoo:

https://boingboing.net/2022/12/14/a...man-safety-also-makes-them-lousy-drivers.html
I would just conclude that these people may be more prone to risk taking behaviour than those vaccinated. To link it with increased traffic accidents as indicator that this group "neglects basic road safety guidelines" is a little sanctimonious. The article has an obvious bias and offers nothing in way of a useful study.

We know that people who are risk takers will act differently to those who are not.

Good neighbors.

Fortune via Yahoo:

That would explain why so many anti-vaxxers and their overlapping fellows, flat-earthers, mud-flooders, and the like film an awful lot of their videos while driving.

That would explain why so many anti-vaxxers and their overlapping fellows, flat-earthers, mud-flooders, and the like film an awful lot of their videos while driving.
They do seem to do a LOT of their stuff while sitting in a car or other vehicle.
It is rather odd.

Just spoke to a nurse the other day, it was of course mandatory for her to have the vaccine, though she was against it.
She did say that many people who came down with the virus had relatively mild symptoms, or flu-like. The problem with this virus happened when it affected a person's breathing, according to her. She works in a hospital, so she saw it all.

Good neighbors.

Fortune via Yahoo:

To equate a person from not wanting to be injected with an untested experimental vaccine to not caring who live or dies on the roads is incredible.

I didn't get vaccinated partly because I won't be experimented on and partly because I don't trust pharmaceutical companies. Science and big money don't mix together very well. I also don't trust politicians to be truthful or their advisors.

All of the friends/people I know who didn't get vaccinated mainly cite exactly the same reasons.

I am not a conspiracy theorist. I don't support the flat earth theory or the mud flooders. I don't know what a mud flood is anyway and I'm not interested. Well actually I do know what a mud flood is but not in terms of it being a conspiracy.

It was predictable it was never going to remain at just the one shot that was promised to prevent a person from catching covid or spreading it. What are we up to now? Are we on the 5th shot? I don't actually know.

Also now it's been admitted the vaccine doesn't stop a person from catching covid or passing it on. It allegedly stops a person from becoming seriously ill with covid but even that claim seems to be slowly losing ground. It's seem to me to be a pretty useless vaccine.

Then there's the horrifying side effects which are slowly getting more coverage the media.

I would have said that someone who refused to get vaccination after looking into it and using their discrimination and judgement is less likely to take chances based on the say so of a group of people who often have vested interests and hidden past lives (like Fauci) are more likely to be careful about how they live not less careful. To me, the risk takers are those that accepted being vaccinated as no long term studies have been done and it's an experimental vaccine. Didn't or don't people realise what the word 'experimental' means? It means that they are experimenting and using you to do that experiment.

It amazes me that people are so easily led down the well worn media induced road that paints someone who decided not to get vaccinated all with the same characterisation brush. It's also amazing how many times the media uses the term 'anti vaxer' along with 'flat earther'. I've had it said to me so many times that I must believe in a flat earth if I'm not vaccinated.

To start with I would say I'm not getting the vaccine but after getting a lot of abuse, and some of it really nasty, I ended up saying I was vaccinated but I've become fed of living the lie. I've also lost quite a few friends and acquaintances and all of my family no longer speak to me. Such is the power of the media.

Back