• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Here's a scan of the newspaoer article I found in the pile of old newspapers in the attic of a flat I moved into in Hove way back in 2007. Sunday Express, June 3rd 1951 -
I've often wondered if the origin of Lent was due to the timing—February, when winter food stores were getting low and the earth wasn't producing anything new yet. The mention of February being a traditional time of sacrifice in the context of an actual killing makes me wonder if a ritualized thinning of the population at the bleakest, hungriest point of winter could have served in times past to ensure group survival.

I've often wondered if the origin of Lent was due to the timing—February, when winter food stores were getting low and the earth wasn't producing anything new yet. The mention of February being a traditional time of sacrifice in the context of an actual killing makes me wonder if a ritualized thinning of the population at the bleakest, hungriest point of winter could have served in times past to ensure group survival.
Lent is the 40-day run-up to Easter, so moves about and can start in March, although that doesn't necessarily invalidate your point.

Back