Creepy Small Villages

TangletwigsDeux

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
In the same sort of neck of the woods, I remember visiting the remains of Grimspound on Dartmoor during our regular family holiday to Plymouth. After wandering the grassy mounds left of the round houses and boundary walls, we continued walking to reach the abandoned medieval village of Hound Tor.

It was here that my mom, a stoic Black Country girl, refused to loiter and simply told us we were leaving. I remember her turning heel and hurrying away, saying the place felt wrong and didnt want us there.

It was strange as we visited all sorts of ruins, monuments etc and this was the only time she ever had such a reaction too "place".

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
In the same sort of neck of the woods, I remember visiting the remains of Grimspound on Dartmoor during our regular family holiday to Plymouth. After wandering the grassy mounds left of the round houses and boundary walls, we continued walking to reach the abandoned medieval village of Hound Tor.

It was here that my mom, a stoic Black Country girl, refused to loiter and simply told us we were leaving. I remember her turning heel and hurrying away, saying the place felt wrong and didnt want us there.

It was strange as we visited all sorts of ruins, monuments etc and this was the only time she ever had such a reaction too "place".
Did she ever talk about it afterwards? Any ideas as to what may have spooked her?

TangletwigsDeux

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
No not really. She just said something along the lines of it being oppressive and she did not want to stay there. Lonely place under a typical heavy steel Dartmoor sky maybe. Just not like her at all though.

Tin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score

I've seen a few youtube wild-campering videos from there, iirc someone mentioned Arthur Conan Doyle got inspiration for Hound of the Baskervilles from there.

bugmum

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
n the same sort of neck of the woods, I remember visiting the remains of Grimspound on Dartmoor during our regular family holiday to Plymouth. After wandering the grassy mounds left of the round houses and boundary walls, we continued walking to reach the abandoned medieval village of Hound Tor.

That's a shame, I've had great fun stomping round Hundatora. I always thought it would be a great place to escape to if civilisation collapsed, but then I'm weird like that.

WeirdExeter

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Bugmum, I’ve often had that self-same thought whilst rambling on Dartmoor, but a friend who has managed country estates all his life reckons hordes of Plymothians would descend on the moor to scavenge whatever they could find (mostly sheep)

His suggestion is to follow the River Dart downstream from the high moor and find an isolated but fertile tributary valley in the South Hams where you could grow things and keep chickens etc without intrusion.

But Dartmoor is far more romantic

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure if I ever posted our weird trip to Heptonstall?

Years ago, right back in the 1980s, my mate was visiting. She'd moved to the US but was back in the UK staying with us for a week or so. One day she hired a car and took us on a day trip. She'd always wanted to visit Heptonstall, to see the grave of US poet, Sylvia Plath and so Heptonstall it was after the obligatory trip to Haworth.

Anyway, after Haworth it was getting to almost dusk by the time she drove us upto Heptonstall. Yorkshireperson but I'd never been there before. What was eerie about it was the shell of the old church, and the current church built next to it. Very creepy. I remember saying I didn't want to go there ever again. Something truly scary about it.

We start searching the graveyard for Sylvia's grave but it's getting darker by the minute. Eventually a local spots us and points us to where it is - we were totally in the wrong area. We visit it and friend returns to US content she got to see what she came to see. I found the place creepy and unsettling - not the SP connection, just that gutted church...

Somewhere round about 2010, we decide to go back up there on a day trip. This time, afternoon and broad daylight.

As before, we struggle to find the grave. We have no idea where it was - totally forgotten. Just as we're wondering... A head pops up above a lintel of one of the windows of the empty church and an American voice (female) calls out instructions to tell us where the grave is! Not Sylvia, or remotely ghostly, obviously - just a weird thing that made us laugh/creeped out simultaneously.

bugmum

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
His suggestion is to follow the River Dart downstream from the high moor and find an isolated but fertile tributary valley in the South Hams where you could grow things and keep chickens etc without intrusion.
We've got friends who live in Harbertonford, that might fit the bill.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these thoughts!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Has anyone voted for the deserted village of Wharram Percy yet? I've never felt it to be creepy myself, but then I only go up there on lovely clear bright days. The wolds are not good places to be when the weather is bad, I've been stuck in snow up there more times than I care to think, when it's been just mizzly lower down. I have a wonderful picture of my son and his dog at Wharram, it's my favourite picture of both of them in the world, so I may be biased For the place, rather than Against.

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Hi catseye been to wharram percy a few times myself lovely place.
Like the Yorkshire wolds too.If you get a chance walk the pocklington canal walk 9 miles .
Easy going and loads of wildlife.Mrs who me and I spent some quality time there.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone voted for the deserted village of Wharram Percy yet? I've never felt it to be creepy myself, but then I only go up there on lovely clear bright days. The wolds are not good places to be when the weather is bad, I've been stuck in snow up there more times than I care to think, when it's been just mizzly lower down. I have a wonderful picture of my son and his dog at Wharram, it's my favourite picture of both of them in the world, so I may be biased For the place, rather than Against.
I dug at Wharram Percy 1979-85ish. It was one of the supervised digs for my degree and then I carried on going for a couple of years.

Used to give me the grues, and I've slept in the same tent perfectly happily in a medieval cistercian graveyard, a medieval castle yard, an earlier medieval castle motte and so on.

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Morning frideswide was it an interesting dig . I’m going on a dig in the spring which is fairly local for me.
Don’t want to say where for obvious reasons. Also I think there is going to be a dig in York fairly soon.
Any spooky experiences to tell us from any of your digs. Who me now hopping from foot to foot hoping for a ghost story :exercise:

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sorry, but as soon as you mentioned an eerie church I had to look it up.
Yep - steer clear of that at night.

View attachment 24040
And imagine a disembodied head popping up behind one of them windows and an American, young female's voice helpfully pointing us to the grave of the American, young female poet... Nearly crapped ourselves. At the same time - it was funny.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I dug at Wharram Percy 1979-85ish. It was one of the supervised digs for my degree and then I carried on going for a couple of years.

Used to give me the grues, and I've slept in the same tent perfectly happily in a medieval cistercian graveyard, a medieval castle yard, an earlier medieval castle motte and so on.
Oh my husband's friend John dug there for quite some time. Oddly, husband was just saying to me last week when we get the chance we should walk t'dog up there - we've never got round to it. It's quite a walk from where you can park, I think?

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Morning frideswide was it an interesting dig . I’m going on a dig in the spring which is fairly local for me.
Don’t want to say where for obvious reasons. Also I think there is going to be a dig in York fairly soon.
Any spooky experiences to tell us from any of your digs. Who me now hopping from foot to foot hoping for a ghost story :exercise:
There's been a big Roman dig going on, as York Archaeological Trust are planning on building a Roman world to go along with Jorvik... I've heard rumours of a couple of the finds, so far. Sounds interesting. (Happen to know a handful of archaeologists).

Who me

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Thanks for that will start making enquires :D
Creaky old back willing.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Journey's End ?

I dropped my bike off for an MOT in Bierton on Friday and spent a little while looking for Corbet's Piece, the site of the last gibbet erected in Bucks (1773) with massive thanks to @Eponastill for researching the grid ref.
I was hoping to reach the site from a Farm but ingress and egress was blocked by two trucks loading sheep. A gate leading to Corbet's Piece was a bit muddy and construction of the HS2 rail blocked access from the other direction. Well it all looked peachy on the satelite view.
I will try to find the farmhouse where Corbet had done his deed when the land dries out, I think the diversionary footpath around the gibbet site has now been lost forever. 250 years after the event, I was 18 months too late.
Bugger.

Annotation 2020-03-17 123210.jpg Bierton_0671a.jpg

Annotation 2020-03-17 123651.jpg Bierton_0673a.jpg

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Journey's End ?

I dropped my bike off for an MOT in Bierton on Friday and spent a little while looking for Corbet's Piece, the site of the last gibbet erected in Bucks (1773) with massive thanks to @Eponastill for researching the grid ref.
I was hoping to reach the site from a Farm but ingress and egress was blocked by two trucks loading sheep. A gate leading to Corbet's Piece was a bit muddy and construction of the HS2 rail blocked access from the other direction. Well it all looked peachy on the satelite view.
I will try to find the farmhouse where Corbet had done his deed when the land dries out, I think the diversionary footpath around the gibbet site has now been lost forever. 250 years after the event, I was 18 months too late.
Bugger.

View attachment 24199 View attachment 24200

View attachment 24201 View attachment 24202
Just wanted to say I love it that you’re doing this!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Here's the approximate location of the gibbet (the red star) on a map composed of a satellite image laid over a Victorian 6" to the mile OS map:

Note that the lane is still referred to as "Gib Lane" even over a century after the event.

maximus otter

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
I usually park in Wharram Le Street, Ghost, and walk along the old railway line. It's really not very far, but that would depend on how used you are to walking, I guess. Dog and I do around 8 miles a day, so anything less than three miles is a cough and a spit!

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
... Out of interest, I have just found the blacksmith's bill for making the gibbet.
https://screenshots.firefox.com/vnBs6coOPiT5av1r/books.google.co.uk
Link is dead. See later post for a replacement specimen.
Here's a replacement illustration of blacksmith Francis Neale's bill for constructing the Bierton gibbet ...

Gibbet-Bierton-Bill.jpg
SOURCE:

William Andrews, Bygone Punishments, p. 34. Reproduction of original by Outlook Verlag, Frankfurt (2019).
Accessible via Google Books:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3xayDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=gibbet+bierton+blacksmith&source=bl&ots=DC7FGuWKKP&sig=ACfU3U2mTKl2ZtRk8Mn4KK4n_B3397SCFQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5g8Kb2cDoAhXPmq0KHbWsBHAQ6AEwBHoECBMQAQ#v=onepage&q=gibbet bierton blacksmith&f=false

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... I'm not sure what the tenter hooks were used for - driven into the gibbet post to prevent anyone scaling it ? ...
Tenterhooks were used to hang hides or fabrics for drying. My guess is that they were installed inside the gibbet cage to aid in holding the corpse.