• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Blaine: How Does He Do That?

Actually, is anybody at all still baffled by his tricks? I know we might all be baffled/bored by his behaviour, but the tricks are pretty mundane - has he come up with any breathtaking tricks recently? Does anyone actually care.

According to the IMDB, Blaine now wants to have his next stunt be a stay in the jungle living alone with wild animals. Yes, he wants to be Tarzan. Cue a million "let's hope he gets eaten" comments.

I read a rumour that his next stunt could be living in the wild. :lol:

So what's the big deal? What's the escapology? What is the magnificent illusion being performed by this idiot?

If anything goes wrong, he can always hide in the film crews camper van and use their telephone to get him out.

MaxMolyneux said:
...surrounded by a zillion TV cameras and a host of minders. :roll:

Any self-respecting wildlife will probably move away for the duration.
Unless they're fenced in....

Maybe we should put Mr Blaine in the next series of I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! How would he fare against Ant and Dec?

Hold your breath . . .

David Blaine has spent 44 days fasting in a Perspex box, 61 hours encased in ice and, for his latest stunt, seven days underwater. But what has it got to do with magic? And to what extremes will he go next? He talks to Tim Dowling

Friday May 26, 2006
The Guardian

Graeme the photographer has an idea: he would like David Blaine to wear swimming goggles for the picture, and he has brought along a couple of pairs. Ben from ITV makes a face when he hears this, but ultimately he says it will be Blaine who will need persuading. When Blaine knocks at the door of the hotel meeting lounge, looking sharp and fit in a black suit, the idea is put to him. A moment of deep inscrutability passes over his face, and then he agrees. In fact, he models both pairs and poses for as many shots as are needed. Then he says, "You know, it might be better if we filled the tub with water and I got under in my clothes." It is decided this will be awesome, and we decamp to Blaine's hotel room. After several minutes of lying under the water blowing bubbles with the photographer standing on the sides of the tub, Blaine surfaces and says, "You might also want to do some without the goggles." And so it transpires that through Blaine's extreme graciousness, Graeme gets exactly the shot Blaine wants him to get.

It is a fortnight since Blaine emerged from his giant goldfish bowl in Lincoln Center, New York, where he spent seven days underwater, breathing through a regulator, not eating and wearing a condom-like external catheter. At the end he came up for a few deep breaths before attempting to break the world "static apnoea" record (ie, holding your breath) - currently 8 mins 58 secs - while escaping from handcuffs and shackles. In the end he was pulled from the water by his minders almost two minutes shy of his goal.

"Which was unfair," he says. "If you look at the actual footage, there's a moment when he [his minder] says go, go, go!" At this point Blaine put his finger up to signal that he wasn't ready to quit. "I could have had an extra 10, 15, 20 seconds. They were so worried something was gonna happen."

ITV will show the actual footage tomorrow night, as part of a 90-minute programme on the preparation for Drowned Alive, as this latest stunt was called. Two weeks later, his fingers are still peeling, but he looks surprisingly well. He is tired - he was out late the night before, at the Beckhams' party - and maybe a little diffident, but not at all remote. "I feel, not a 100%, but pretty amazing considering. The things that still affect me are just simple, like itchy skin, pain in certain muscles because I was weightless for a week; the weightlessness, without any resistance, causes certain muscles to atrophy."

In fact, he says, his liver started to fail while he was underwater, much as it had when he spent 44 days fasting, suspended over the Thames in a Perspex box. He recognised the pains, he says, but a recent blood test showed that function has returned to normal. Still, I say, he was perhaps not in the best shape to attempt to hold his breath for nine minutes.

"I found out that all these guys who do the best breath holds, they don't eat that whole day," he says. "Your body's not digesting anything, so it's easier to slow your metabolic rate." He thought he could take this notion further. "I found papers, scientific papers, that discuss that if you go into starvation your body - its metabolic rate, heart, everything - has to drop. So I thought that by doing the stunt, having seven days of no food, that I was gonna have a huge advantage, and get this extra boost of 30 seconds. I was completely wrong in my calculations."

Ironically, this failure convinced a lot of his detractors that the stunt was genuine, and that Blaine himself was for real. Like his hero Houdini, Blaine has made a career out of combining illusion and feats of endurance in a way that some people find confusing, even untrustworthy. Where does the trickery end and the genuine endurance start? In Houdini's case, says Blaine, a lot of the criticism came from fellow magicians: "They would say, 'We don't get it. What's magic about breaking out of a prison?'" What, one might ask, is magic about sitting in a box and not breaking out?

"What's different about me," says Blaine, "is my stuff is more about tedium almost. Mine is about the art of doing absolutely nothing, which in this day and age is so unusual." His 44 days as a Hunger Artist (an idea borrowed from a short story by Kafka) provoked, in varying degrees, awe, irritation, disbelief, admiration and downright hostility. His box was pelted with eggs. People chanted to keep him awake. A model helicopter carrying a Big Mac was flown round his cage. A man climbed the scaffolding alongside him in an attempt to cut off his water supply.

The young Blaine made his reputation as a card magician with a deadpan, almost otherworldly bearing. In 1999, at the age of 26, he volunteered to be buried alive in a glass coffin for a week. "That was the easiest for me," he says, "cos I'm not claustrophobic." The next year he spent 61 hours encased in a block of ice in Times Square, with his eventual release broadcast live on television, followed in 2002 by a 34-hour vigil atop a 90ft pillar.

Along with his magic and his stunts, Blaine has also acquired a reputation for disquieting public appearances. He once went on GMTV and said nothing, merely staring intently at an increasingly flustered Eamonn Holmes. "That was one of my favourite things, by the way," he says. Mine, too, I say, at least before I found myself in a position where he might do it to me.

Later, at a press conference for the London stunt, Blaine appeared to slice off one of his ears. "Sometimes, being a magician," he says, "you feel it's your job to do some form of magic, but I don't like doing things that people look at as tricks. I like to do things that touch a nerve. Like in America I went on a talk show and ripped my heart out of my chest and collapsed. And in the theatre they ran out crying. It was really strong. NBC wouldn't air the footage for a couple of weeks."

Blaine readily accepts that some people are bemused, even annoyed, by his stunts. "The way I can relate to it is when I go to a museum, like a modern art museum, and I stare at one of those black paintings, which is like a black canvas. I'm the kind of person that goes, 'I don't get that. What the fuck is the point of that? And how can the guy that painted it get a million dollars for it?'" He says he wants people to take away whatever they can get out of his performances, the way people do with modern art in that way he doesn't get. When I quote him a remark made by a bystander at Lincoln Center - "I wouldn't do it, but I feel like somebody's got to do it" - Blaine says, "That's cool. I agree with that."

While he was floating in the goldfish bowl, he says, the idea for his next performance came to him. It's something he won't discuss - "I don't want to talk it away" - but he has implied that there will be no safety net this time.

It's difficult for Blaine to articulate exactly why he does what he does, why he risks his life and his health performing these stunts. "It's like the only time colours are really vivid," he says, "the only time when I feel completely alive, in the moment, not distracted, not thinking about this or that, is when I do these things."

He is definitely, he says, not afraid of death. "I think if I was afraid of death I wouldn't be able to live my life because my mother passed away in my arms, and I never looked at it as horrific; I looked at it as poetic, because she was peaceful. If I looked at it in any other way, since I loved her so much, it would be difficult for me to accept the beauty of the world."

He doesn't believe he's done himself any permanent damage yet, but considers himself lucky. He thinks his time in the ice came close to messing him up mentally, and his 44 days in the box probably did him the most physical damage. He nevertheless describes his time above the Thames as the highlight of his life. "I loved it," he says. "I would never take that away. Ever. I mean, if I could have done it again I would have made the box much smaller, so when they threw things it would be harder to hit"

· David Blaine: Drowned Alive is on ITV1 at 9.45pm tomorrow.

www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1783410,00.html

"What's different about me," says Blaine, "is my stuff is more about tedium almost. Mine is about the art of doing absolutely nothing, which in this day and age is so unusual."

Obviously Blaine has never watched Big Brother live.

rynner said:
MaxMolyneux said:
...surrounded by a zillion TV cameras and a host of minders. :roll:

Any self-respecting wildlife will probably move away for the duration.
Unless they're fenced in....

I wonder if he'd stilluse the tube for the the toilet like he does in all his stunts or dig a hole and bring toilet paper for it. :lol:

He's at it again - the morbid mutant - looks like it will be as tedious to watch as to do - nothing new there then,...
Blaine reveals details of latest stunt
Monday, November 20 2006, 20:18 UTC - by David Cribb

David Blaine has revealed the details of his upcoming stunt.

The illusionist will bound into a spread-eagle position in a gyroscope which will be dangled above Time Square in New York. He will be spun in the gyroscope for two days, before he attempts to break free from his binds.

The giant structure will be spun around eight times per minute for the duration of the two days. Blaine will also have to cope with the natural weather in the square, as the gyroscope provides no shelter to his body.

He commented: "Just to make it more difficult on myself, I added a motor (to the gyroscope), so even when I'm sleeping there'll be continuous movement… I think I'm going to have to stay awake the whole time."

However, Blaine is not daunted, and is even looking forward to it: "This one's exciting for me. This one's a fun one."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds39664.html

However, Blaine is not daunted, and is even looking forward to it: "This one's exciting for me. This one's a fun one."

Yeah right, if you say so , David :roll:

Gads! His stunts get more and more pointless as time goes on. :roll:

Just don't be standing underneath him, I suppose. How about he rolls down a hill in a barrel next time and then tries to walk in a straight line?

What happened to his jungle adventure? As previously mentioned, I was hoping to see him in this year's I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

Surely one of those stunts has to kill him eventually...? Yawn

Rrose_Selavy said:
He's at it again - the morbid mutant - looks like it will be as tedious to watch as to do - nothing new there then,...
Blaine reveals details of latest stunt
Monday, November 20 2006, 20:18 UTC - by David Cribb

David Blaine has revealed the details of his upcoming stunt.

The illusionist will bound into a spread-eagle position in a gyroscope which will be dangled above Time Square in New York. He will be spun in the gyroscope for two days, before he attempts to break free from his binds.

The giant structure will be spun around eight times per minute for the duration of the two days. Blaine will also have to cope with the natural weather in the square, as the gyroscope provides no shelter to his body.

He commented: "Just to make it more difficult on myself, I added a motor (to the gyroscope), so even when I'm sleeping there'll be
continuous movement… I think I'm going to have to stay awake the whole time."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds39664.html

Yeah right, if you say so , David :roll:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How will his food settle when being spun for two days?

I predict that he'll run out of ideas and will have to fall back on an old classic.
For his final stunt, he will be crucified and then after a few days will rise from the dead.
After which, he will found a religion and make lots of money. :D

No, thats not exciting enough.

More importantly, its been done before....

Well he's started - I feel dizzy already.

Blaine in giant 'gyroscope' stunt
David Blaine has begun his latest stunt, spinning inside a gyroscopic device above the streets of New York.
Blaine will dangle near Times Square for almost three days before attempting to escape from some shackles.

"This is more difficult than anything I've ever done," Blaine said before he was loaded into the contraption, which was then hoisted up 50ft (15m).

The three spinning steel rings can flip Blaine in various directions up to eight times per minute.

The shackles will be added to Blaine on Thursday, giving him 16 hours to free himself.

The illusionist said his biggest concerns, besides not eating or drinking, were the freezing weather and dizziness.

Shopping spree

After the stunt, Blaine will lead 100 underprivileged children chosen by The Salvation Army charity on a shopping spree.
Blaine said the stunt was important to him since The Salvation Army had provided him with clothing when he was a child.

Blaine's previous stunts have included balancing on top of a 100 ft (30 metre) pole, spending 61 hours inside a block of ice and fasting for 44 days in a box over London's River Thames.

Earlier this year, he spent a week in a water-filled globe in New York. He failed to break the world record for holding his breath at the end of the challenge.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 170718.stm

Published: 2006/11/21 19:11:09 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Pass the sick bag.

:spinning -

Of course, he started training for this when he was just a child:

023.jpg

:D

Is there anybody, anybody at all, in the least bit impressed with David Blaine's stunts? Somebody must be for him to continue doing them, so how does he get paid?

The shackles will be added to Blaine on Thursday, giving him 16 hours to free himself.

Not much margin for error there , mate. I think Houdini managed it a bit quicker though.

After the stunt, Blaine will lead 100 underprivileged children chosen by The Salvation Army charity on a shopping spree.

As if they haven't suffered enough! What are they going to buy? DVDs of his previous stunts.

Merry Christmas.

-

For the record - He's finished - Another fall - Another ride back

Hey, he managed to find a New Yoirk Taxi Cab at such a busy time of year - how remarkable is that ?

Blaine finishes 'gyroscope' stunt
American illusionist David Blaine has completed his latest stunt, escaping from a gyroscope hanging above the streets of New York City.
After spending two days spinning inside the device, he took a short time to free himself from shackles around his waist and feet.

He then fell 40 ft (12 metre) through a wooden stage before emerging to limp his way into a New York taxicab.

The stunt was to raise funds for the Salvation Army charity.

The three spinning steel rings of the gyroscope flipped Blaine in various directions up to eight times per minute for just over 48 hours.

Dizziness

"It's actually harder than I thought it would be," he said as he removed the shackles from around his waist.

The shackles were added to Blaine after two days in the gyroscope. He then had 16 hours to free himself.

Before beginning the stunt, the illusionist had said his biggest concerns, besides not eating or drinking, were the freezing weather and dizziness.

Blaine will now lead 100 underprivileged children chosen by The Salvation Army charity on a shopping spree.
He said the stunt was important to him since The Salvation Army had provided him with clothing when he was a child.

Blaine's previous stunts have included balancing on top of a 100 ft (30 metre) pole, spending 61 hours inside a block of ice and fasting for 44 days in a box over London's River Thames.

Earlier this year, he spent a week in a water-filled globe in New York. He failed to break the world record for holding his breath at the end of the challenge.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 178718.stm

Published: 2006/11/23 22:14:35 GMT

© BBC MMVI

MaxMolyneux said:
How did he only get a limp from falling 40ft? :?

Magic of course..

And more cardboard boxes in the way than a 70s American Detective car chase.

-

gncxx said:
Is there anybody, anybody at all, in the least bit impressed with David Blaine's stunts? Somebody must be for him to continue doing them, so how does he get paid?

Just a theory, you understand - but I think he sells reporting rights to the media, and he probably treats it as a kind of PR - advertising for when he actually does some magic tricks on TV, makes public appearances etc.
Much the same way that Uri Geller gets by, I think.

Rrose_Selavy said:
MaxMolyneux said:
How did he only get a limp from falling 40ft? :?

Magic of course..

And more cardboard boxes in the way than a 70s American Detective car chase.

-

Those poor cardboard boxes! :cry:

Blaine sets breathtaking record

Magician David Blaine has set a world record by holding his breath for 17 minutes and four seconds on Oprah Winfrey's US TV show in Chicago.

The star was pulled from a water-filled sphere, and then said he had begun to doubt if he would achieve his goal as he considered his heart rate too high.

The previous record, which was 32 seconds shorter, was set in February.

Blaine, once buried for a week in a coffin, inhaled pure oxygen beforehand to flush carbon dioxide from his blood.

Setting the record was "a lifelong dream", he told Winfrey, which he said had been achieved by being in a meditative state throughout.

"I feel great", he said, as he was pulled out of the water.

"I actually started to doubt I was going to make it because I'd never done it with such a high heart rate," he added.

Winfrey asked him what he was thinking about during his time in the water, to which he replied: "You."

Beforehand Blaine said he was more excited than nervous about the task ahead.

Struggle

The 35-year-old had been wearing a silver wetsuit when he went into the sphere, which was filled with about 8,200 litres (1,800 gallons) of water.

Blaine said he had been hoping to make it to 23 minutes, but that he was aware that his heart started beating irregularly towards the end of the stunt.

"There's no enhancement, no cheating," he told Winfrey, adding that his stunts are not about magic but about pushing the limits of the human body.

Two years ago he failed in an attempt to break the record for breath-holding under water, while simultaneously escaping from heavy chains.

He had started to struggle two minutes before his nine-minute goal, at the end of a seven-day stint under water in New York.

Blaine has also balanced on top of a 100ft (30m) pole, was encased in ice for two-and-a-half days, and fasted for 44 days in a box.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7376101.stm

How does he do it?

Sucks in pure oxygen and moves as little as possible. No magical trick. While I agree that according to the "rules", there is nothing unacceptable for this over-oxygenating to be used to extend breath-holding. But his stunt would be less impressive if he hadn't done it.

Oh, and how does he make his money? Syndication rights. I only saw a clip of this latest waste-of-time on this mornings BBC tv news and the over-reacting, maniacally-laughing audience showed some support.

Back