• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Lynch

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Couldn't find a thread on him so here it is!!

IMDB:
www.imdb.com/name/nm0000186/

I do have friends who virutally worship him and while I'm not a fanatic when it comes down to weirdness he is tricky to beat. And where do you pick a favourite from that list? Blue Velvet? Eraserhead? Twin Peaks?

------------
Some good news:

December 6: ERASERHEAD and more on Subversive DVD

Norman Hill of DVD company Subversive Cinema gave Fango the news on an exciting new acquisition: “David Lynch has authorized Subversive to be the distributor, through Ryko, of a price-reduced version of ERASERHEAD and THE SHORT FILMS for the DVD retail market,” he tells us. “So we will be releasing, on January 10, $29.95 versions of both titles that will contain the same disc supplements that were in the boxed set—you just won’t get the box or the booklet. On ERASERHEAD, you’ll get the hour-and-a-half interview with Lynch and the trailers.” The Lynch shorts include THE ALPHABET, THE GRANDMOTHER and many others, each with an introduction by the director.

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5223

Eraserhead (1977)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0074486/

The Short Films of David Lynch (2002) (V)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0357173/

------------
See also:

Mulholland Drive:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14680

As a 'Fortean' aside isn't Lynch a practitioner of Transcendental Meditation and a follower of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?

I don't think his imdb page mentions it. On a recent edition of The Culture Show (BBC2) he talked about his beliefs to Mark Kermode, a friend mentioned it in passing so unfortunatly I don't have any details.

With Hollywood split along Christian, Buddhist and Scientologits lines it's nice to see TM getting a foothold. :D

byroncac said:
As a 'Fortean' aside isn't Lynch a practitioner of Transcendental Meditation and a follower of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?

I don't think his imdb page mentions it. On a recent edition of The Culture Show (BBC2) he talked about his beliefs to Mark Kermode, a friend mentioned it in passing so unfortunatly I don't have any details.

With Hollywood split along Christian, Buddhist and Scientologits lines it's nice to see TM getting a foothold. :D

Yep - it gets a message on the Wikipedia entry:

Lynch began advocating the practice of Trancendental Meditation in the early 21st Century, and at that time advocated its use in bringing peace to the world. He has launched the David Lynch Foundation For Conciousness-Based Education and Peace to fund research about TM's positive effects, promote the technique especially among college students and ultimatelly achive world peace. There is a video stream of Lynch's public performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lync ... _interests

Links:
www.davidlynchfoundation.com

Video:
www.davidlynchfoundation.com/tour/

Love his work. I even like Dune, though not the horrible prologue added onto the extended version. Now, if only he'd go back to it and do a full directors cut...

I thought this recent interview would be of interest. Season 2 and the pilot episode of Twin Peaks are finally going to be released on DVD later this year, remixed by Lynch himself. Also, if you're a fan of Twin Peaks/Fire Walk With Me, feel free to sign this petition to get the 17 deleted scenes released on the new DVD release of Fire Walk With Me. Nearly an hour's worth of unreleased scenes featuring characters from the series who didn't make it into the movie: http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight/more.html

Looks like Lynch's next flick, Inland Empire, will be his normal strangeness distributed strangely!

LINK

David Lynch to distribute own film

Director David Lynch has worked out a deal with French producer StudioCanal to self-distribute his three-hour epic digital video feature Inland Empire in the United States and Canada.

A release is slated before the end of the year, as is an awards season campaign for Laura Dern, the star and co-producer of the three-hour film. Inland Empire, which has sharply divided critics, marks Lynch's first feature since 2001's Mulholland Dr.

Lynch will work with theatrical and home video partners to launch his epic fever dream of a film, retaining all rights to the low-budget project in each deal. The partnerships will be announced within the next week.

"Basically we learned a lot from our experiences with The Straight Story and Mulholland Dr." said Inland Empire producer Mary Sweeney.

"There was a lot spent on P&A (prints and advertising). Those experiences, the new technologies of digital distribution available today, along with David's completely avant-garde attitude toward life make this the right film at the right time for this approach."

Inland Empire, which had its premiere at the Venice International Film Festival, begins with two interwoven stories of an actress, played by Dern, who is making an onscreen comeback in a Southern melodrama she's filming called High in Blue Tomorrows. But the film soon branches off to follow a third abused and abusive character also played by Dern.

"I figure I have at least three roles, maybe a few more," Dern laughed in a recent interview.

Each plotline deals with issues of betrayal in relationships, but the film soon veers off those tracks as it showcases musical dance sequences, sitcom-style family scenes featuring people with rabbit heads and dramatic episodes with actors speaking Polish.

In an interview after a press screening last Friday ahead of its North American premiere at the New York Film Festival, Lynch said, "people are thinking of new ways to begin a film, new ways of shooting, new ways of post production, and you've got to come up with new ways of distribution."

He added facetiously that his target audience is "14-year-old girls in the Midwest ... I would like it to be a summer blockbuster, but I'm realistic."

The Wikipedia page iether tells you all you need to know or nothing at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Empire_%28film%29

According to Richard Peña, an official at the New York Film Festival and one of the first people to see Inland Empire, the film is "a plotless collection of snippets that explore themes Lynch has been working on for years," including "a Hollywood story about a young actress who gets a part in a film that might be cursed; a story about the smuggling of women from Eastern Europe; and an abstract story about a family of people with rabbit heads sitting around in a living room,"

www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stor ... 79170.html

David Lynch's Weird, Wired World

By Scott Thill
08:00 AM Jan, 03, 2007

The mere mention of the name "David Lynch" conjures images of velvety shadows and extreme violence. Over the past three decades Lynch has honed a surrealist aesthetic -- characterized by nightmarish and dreamlike sequences, stark images and meticulously crafted audio -- that can only be described as "Lynchian."

Considered one of the foremost auteurs in the film industry -- and one of the most original -- Lynch is also an accomplished writer, television producer, cartoonist, graphic artist and photographer. Plus, he's a guy with a big passion for high tech.

David Lynch
In March, September and December 2006, Wired magazine's Scott Thill spoke with Lynch about his innovative website, his new film, transcendental meditation and coffee. The entire, unedited transcript of these interviews can be viewed here.

Wired: When you started DavidLynch.com, you said the internet was still "sleepy" and slow. But now with a few years under your belt, has the sleeper, to quote Dune, awakened yet?

Lynch: The sleeper hasn't awakened yet. It's weird. Obviously, the internet is huge and getting bigger, but it is divided.... And I guess MySpace is the place where people go now, but even that's divided, know what I mean?

But over here (at DavidLynch.com), we've got our thinking caps strapped on. We've got a great bunch in our membership who all really like each other and find things to talk about. And when we get new members, they really like the site and say that it's different from other sites.... It's all an experiment. I want to find things that fire me up, and see if it works for the people.

Wired: How do you feel taking your work onto the internet years ago has changed you as a filmmaker?

Lynch: Well, it's huge, because I like to conduct experiments.... And because of the internet I've learned about AfterEffects, Flash animation and discovered and fallen in love with digital video. So I just think that going onto the web was so good for me. It's just sort of starting, but it's a beautiful world.... I always like random access, and I like the idea that one thing relates to another. And this is part of the internet: It's so huge, that it is really an unbounded world. And I think that if we keep our thinking caps strapped on, we could find something beautiful out there in the ether.

Wired: Digital video seems to have made the process of filmmaking easier for budding auteurs.

Lynch: Digital video is so beautiful. It's lightweight, modern, and it's only getting better. It's put film into the La Brea Tar Pits.

Wired: So you are serious about working exclusively in DV from here on out?

Lynch: For sure.

Wired: Because of its mobility and lower overhead?

Lynch: Everything about it. In one word, film is heavy. It's gone, just gone.

Wired: DV is an easier route for new filmmakers to get their work seen, rather than relying on film festivals and the like.

Lynch: Absolutely. Like I always say, everybody has access to a piece of paper and a pencil. You can write a story with it. Anyone in the world can do that. And more and more these days, anyone in the world can make a film. There aren't that many great stories out there -- there's a bunch, maybe -- but at least now people have access where they didn't before. Films used to cost a fortune to make.

Wired: Are you worried about the intellectual property issues? The digital world is easier to hack and steal from.

Lynch: Everybody would like it if people respected the work of others. But ... I think things need to be balanced out. For sure, there are pirates out there who just want to do it (in order) to do it, but when you download something and really appreciate it, you should send something to the person who made it.

Wired: You have to support the artists or works you really admire.

Lynch: I think that that would be good.

Wired: Can that ideal survive in the digital world?

Lynch: Yeah, I think so. Of course, it all depends; you have to go person by person.

Wired: On to Inland Empire, your new film. What was it like shooting it in DV?

Lynch: It's a new world. The quality is pretty terrible, but I like that. It reminds me of the early days of 35 mm, when there wasn't so much information in the frame or emulsion. But ... you act and react, and the medium starts talking to you. So I love working in digital video.

Wired: How did the actors respond to it? Did it make a difference to them?

Lynch: It makes a difference, because you've got a 40-minute take rather than a 10-minute take, so you can just keep on rolling. In my last couple of films, I've started talking to the actors while we're shooting, which is not the smartest thing to do in a way. (Laughs.) Because you're goofing up the soundtrack. But I like to talk, and with DV, it's not like millions of dollars are flying through the camera every second. It's a different kind of feeling. You can get into a mood and stay there without breaking it because you have to stop and reload.

Wired: It's more like guerrilla filmmaking.

Lynch: For sure. You're leaner and meaner, and you can get more good footage.

Wired: Why did you decide to start the foundation for transcendental meditation?

Lynch: Because I know what it's done for me. I meditate every day, and I have for 32 years. And it's a long topic, but there's a thing called consciousness, and though consciousness is pretty abstract, it is also the ability to understand. It's awareness, it's wakefulness and it's bliss. Consciousness is the "I am"-ness....

Of course, everybody has consciousness, but everyone doesn't know that you can achieve more consciousness. There's an unbounded, infinite ocean of it within every human being. You just need the technique to dive within and get wet with it. When you really and truly experience pure consciousness ... it starts to grow. Then you've got more happiness, creativity and ability to understand the complexities of life. It's very important for a filmmaker, it's very important for a human being....

When you expand your consciousness, you can catch ideas at a deeper level, and understand them more.

Wired: Your work has always seemed to be open to consciousness, as far as I can tell. You seem to have more trust in your ideas, no matter what shape they may take, than other artists out there. Has meditation helped you build that trust?

Lynch: Absolutely. The ocean of pure consciousness is an ocean of all-knowingess.... Modern science calls it the unified field. And now modern science like Vedic science says that every thing that is a thing emerges from this field, which is unmanifest, yet manifestation comes from it.... Think about the intelligence that's there, and the creativity that's always been there, and you can dip into that.

And so I set up this foundation to raise money to give this to mainly students at first. We're trying to raise enough money to give transcendental meditation to any student who wants it, so they can dive within ... and get on the big, fast train to enjoying life.

Wired: On that note, I want to talk about your coffee -- I thought you were considering a branded DavidLynch.com coffee.

Lynch: I haven't found a coffee better than the one I'm drinking now. The idea is to really get ... this is all subjective, but I know what good coffee tastes like to me. And if I got that, we might do a DavidLynch.com coffee.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/1,72340-0.html

Sounds great!!

Inland Empire

**** (Cert 15)

Blog: What do you think it's all about?

Peter Bradshaw
Friday March 9, 2007
The Guardian

The great eroto-surrealist David Lynch has gone truffling for another imaginary orifice of pleasure, with results that are fascinating, sometimes very unwholesome, and always enjoyable. His new film can best be described as a supernatural mystery thriller - with the word "mystery" in 72-point bold. A Hollywood star called Nikki Grace, played with indestructible poise and intelligence by Laura Dern, accepts the heroine's role in an intense southern drama about adultery and murder, working with a roguishly handsome leading man (Justin Theroux) and an elegant British director (Jeremy Irons). But to her bafflement and then terrified dismay, Nikki discovers that the script is a remake of a lost, uncompleted Polish film, and that the project is cursed. The original lead actors died, as did the poor devils in the folk tale of fear on which it was based.

Acting out the role, in its new Americanised setting, is a seance of evil and horror. One of the rooms on the set turns out to be a portal into an infinite warren of altered states: Nikki finds herself in the first Polish film, or maybe it is that Polish characters and producers from that film are turning up in the second film, or in her real life, which sometimes turns out to be a scene from the film and sometimes something else entirely. There is a disquieting chorus of LA hookers, and often we come out into an imaginary sitcom featuring a braying laugh-track and characters dressed as rabbits. Curiouser and curiousest.

The nightmare goes on and on - for three hours, in fact. But believe me when I say that, though this is familiar Lynch stuff, it is never dull, and I was often buttock-clenchingly afraid of what was going to happen next and squeaking with anxiety. The opening scene, in which Nikki is visited by a creepy neighbour (Grace Zabriskie) is so disturbing, I found myself gnawing at a hangnail like a deranged terrier.

The epic length of Inland Empire is perhaps explained by the freedom afforded by the cheaper digital medium, with which the director is working for the first time, handling the camera himself. Unlike the plasma TV screens in Dixon's, David Lynch is evidently not HD-ready; this is ordinary digital video we're talking about, with all its occasional gloominess and muddiness, and for which the director is compensating by using many big, almost convex closeups. Vast fleshy features loom out of the grainy fog.

Chief among these is Laura Dern's wonderful face: equine and gaunt, sometimes, but always lovely and compelling in a way that goes quite beyond the cliche of "jolie laide". It is either radiant or haunted, and in one terrible sequence transformed into a horror mask that is superimposed on to the male face of her tormentor. These searing images made me think that Lynch is still inadequately celebrated as a director of women, with a sensitivity somewhere between Almodóvar's empathy and Hitchcock's beady-eyed obsession.

Inland Empire is, as with so many of Lynch's movies, a meditation on the unacknowledged and unnoticed strangeness of Hollywood and movie-making in general, though I am bound to say that it does not have anything like Naomi Watts's marvellous "audition" scenes in Mulholland Drive. The director's connoisseurship of Hollywood, his anthropologist eye for its alien rites, are however as keen as ever.

Lynch is entranced by the straight movie-making world: he loves the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame - something awful happens here on Dorothy Lamour's star - the rehearsals, the shooting, the cutting and printing and checking the gate, and he loves the spectacle of actors walking contemplatively beside enormous sound-stages, for all the world as if they are in Singin' in the Rain. Yet he finds something exotic and bizarre in it; these qualities are not superimposed on normality, however; he finds the exoticism and bizarreness that were there all along.

Because watching movies is a bizarre business, and a movie creates its own world, in some ways more persuasively cogent and real than the reality surrounding it, Lynch positions himself in the no man's land between these two realities and furnishes it with a landscape and topography all his own. Nobody else brings out so effectively the hum of weirdness in hotel furniture, in Dralon carpeting and in smouldering cigarette butts in abandoned ashtrays. His music and sound design, with echoes and groans, are insidiously creepy, though only once does he gives us the signature Lynch motif: the slow vibrato on an electric guitar chord.

He establishes a bizarre series of worm-holes between the worlds of myth, movies and reality, with many "hole" images and references, which culminate horribly, and unforgettably, in a speech from a homeless Japanese woman over Nikki's prostrate body about a prostitute who dies on account of a "hole in her vagina wall leading to the intestine". It is a gruesome but gripping image of how the vast, dysfunctional anatomy of David Lynch's imaginary universe is breaking down and contaminating itself. This gigantic collapse is perhaps the point, and the film-versus-reality trope is simply the peg on which to hang a gigantic spectacle of anarchy with no purpose other than to disorientate. It is mad and chaotic and exasperating and often makes no sense: but actually not quite as confusing as has been reported. Even the most garbled of moments fit approximately into the vague scheme of things, and those that don't - those worrying rabbits - are, I guess, just part of the collateral damage occasioned by Lynch's assault on the ordinary world. How boring the cinema would be without David Lynch, and for a long, long moment, how dull reality always seems after a Lynch movie has finished.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/C ... 41,00.html

Theres an article on Lynch in the March issue of Art Review. In it the bold DAvid claims that he hangs atround New York City Morgue for inspiration! The "Devil Waears Prada" style journalist swallowed it.

A history of violence
Alice O'Keeffe

Published 12 March 2007

David Lynch's America has always been characterised by darkness and perversion. He tells Alice O'Keeffe that his artistic vision has been vindicated

"They say once the bell has been rung, it's been rung," says David Lynch cryptically, his pale blue eyes staring fixedly past my right shoulder, out over the pristine panorama of Paris visible from the top floor of the Fondation Cartier gallery. He looks like a rugged, kindly old lumberjack, but there is something very odd about his manner. He never makes eye contact, and, as he talks, he holds his hand up to his right ear and wiggles his fingers, as if speaking through an imaginary glove puppet. The effect is disconcerting, to say the least. I feel a chill run down my spine, the same kind of sensation I experienced when Patricia Arquette suddenly turned into a horrible grinning demon in Lost Highway, or when Dennis Hopper appeared clutching his gas mask in Blue Velvet. "That was, you know, a very bad thing. A very bad thing."

Lynch is talking about the Abu Ghraib scandal. That moment when America's perversions were paraded in front of a world audience in some ways fulfilled his personal prophecy. For decades, his films have explored the darkness inherent in American culture, often through the prism of twisted sexuality. Behind gleaming white picket fences, the Lynchian landscape has always been characterised by sexualised violence, from Twin Peaks' Laura Palmer, the schoolgirl who "got off on" being murdered, through Alice, the pros titute dismembered in Lost Highway, to Blue Velvet's sadomasochistic nightclub singer, played by Lynch's then-partner, Isabella Rossellini.

I ask him whether he feels his artistic vision has been vindicated by recent events in America. "That's exactly the way it's been going," he says, nodding sagely. "In the 1950s, everything had a very beautiful façade. There was optimism in the air and a feeling of moving forward in a good way. But, looking back, we realise that all the sicknesses and perversions, distortions, all these things were there. They were just covered over. No one talked about them; no one looked, really. But in the time since then, the sicknesses are being revealed, and everyone says, 'Oh my goodness, oh my goodness' - but it was always there. So it's a good thing. It's there and they examine it, and maybe try and find a way to cure some things."

It is strange to hear Lynch talking about a "cure" for America. There is no sense in his work that any perversions need curing; rather, they are the most fascinating element of small-town life. This is clearer than ever in "The Air is on Fire", an exhibition of artwork spanning his career, which opened at the Fondation Cartier this month. Many of the familiar Lynch motifs are in evidence in the photographs, installations and oil paintings: the ruched curtains that appear obsessively in his films have been used as backdrops for his canvases; a series of black-and-white photos features run-down industrial landscapes similar to those in Eraserhead; sound installations recreate the buzzing, fizzing light bulbs and screeching trains that make his soundtracks so distinctive and uneasy.

The most disturbing images, however, are Bob loves Sally until she is blue in the face (2000) - a puce-coloured painting in which an abstracted male figure seems to be raping, and perhaps kill ing, a female - and the undated Distorted Nudes, a series of 19th- and early 20th-century erotic photos that he has digitally manipulated to create women with stumps for legs and gory, fleshy protrusions where their heads should be.

Though a genius he may be, the thought of Lynch sitting alone in his studio with these images, lopping a leg off here and adding a festering gash there, is not pleasant. "Those distorted nudes thrill me, and I don't know all the reasons why," he admits. "Sometimes when there's a distortion or a rearrangement it makes you see things afresh, and something jumps. I do like fragments of the human form, and then there's all kinds of variations, and that's interesting. It's like jazz: there's the melody - the human form - and then there's all kinds of variants, and that's real interesting."

Would it bother him, I wonder, if someone got off on them? "Oh no, you can't worry about stuff like that, because you would stop working," he insists, but then says: "There must be some responsibility when you make something. They say for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. There could be something coming back from what we do, but I'm not positive."

As a great believer in the power of intuition, Lynch has resisted the temptation to explain or in terpret his work. He has spoken about making his films in a trance-like state induced by large doses of sugar and caffeine. In his book Catching the Big Fish: meditation, consciousness and creativity, published recently in the States, he argues that artists are simply receptacles for ideas, which can be "caught" and reeled in from the outside world. "They say that artists express themselves, but I don't really see it like that," he says. "There are particular ideas I fall in love with because of the way I am. You're the way you are: you don't fall in love with the same ideas. But I do like those ideas, so when they come along, I'm cooked - I go to work."

Anyone who admires his films will appreciate his refusal to diminish them with expla nation. As he says: "The world is as you are, so every viewer is going to get something different." Eraserhead (Lynch's debut breakthrough feature), Mulholland Drive and the forthcoming surreal, three-hour Inland Empire are intense, dreamlike and profoundly unexplainable. Eschewing conventionally linear plots, all three works follow a kind of internal logic that feels oddly familiar even if you have never seen them before.

On a personal level, however, Lynch's reluctance to analyse or take responsibility for his own output becomes much more problematic. When I ask whether the content of his work ever worries him, he counters: "Do I have a problem? Maybe I do. But these things aren't in my head. They come from outside. I have this feeling that for the longest time the idea wasn't there, and then - boom - it is there. I didn't ask for it, I don't know what happened, but there it is."

This is surely disingenuous; to some extent, his work must reflect his own tastes and preoccupations. Yet he insists that art "can have all kinds of horror in it, and you are separate from it. You can be pretty normal and show a lot of abnormality and be separate from it." It feels oddly like listening to a criminal explaining that society made him do it, or a schizophrenic blaming his actions on the voices in his head.

Lynch has said that, despite suffering from depression at the beginning of his career, he resisted going into psychotherapy because he feared it would adversely affect his creativity. Instead, he embarked upon a 33-year association with Transcendental Meditation, a technique copyrighted by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the same guru who taught the Beatles in the Sixties. Lynch meditates twice a day for 20 minutes, and is evangelical about the practice. He has set up the David Lynch Foundation, which, besides its various outlandish aims (raising $7bn for "peace universities"), provides scholarships for young people to study meditation. "You should be doing Transcendental Meditation," he tells me, his face lighting up for the first time. "I know, I know, you're not sure. But it will take you and rapidly, rapidly unfold the thing."

TM claims to offer instant access to the "unified field": a state of pure bliss. Lynch says that, unlike damaging talking cures, it has actually enhanced his creativity, making him more receptive to ideas, more himself. I explain that I would find it difficult not to be cynical about a religion that charges people $2,500 to join. "A lot of people get hung up on that," he says. "But when you pay for something, it means that you value it and you want it, and there's something to that on this journey. At least if people pay, they'll meditate up their $2,500 worth."

It strikes me as a comment that - like Lynch himself - is as American as cherry pie.

"The Air is on Fire" is at the Fondation Cartier, 261 boulevard Raspail, Paris 75014, until 27 May. For further information, log on to: http://www.fondationcartier.fr. "Inland Empire" is released on 9 March (certificate 15)

1946 David Keith Lynch is born in Missoula, Montana. He studies at the Corcoran School of Art in Washington, DC, and later graduates from the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. Aged 21, he marries Peggy Reavey and they have a daughter, Jennifer.

1977 Eraserhead is released, becoming an instant cult hit and a critical success. It establishes the Lynchian world-view and his avant-garde reputation.

1980 The Elephant Man marks Lynch’s acceptance into the Hollywood mainstream, earning eight Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture and Director.

1986 After the commercial and critical disaster of Dune, Lynch makes the era-defining Blue Velvet, which earns him his second Oscar nomination for Best Director. He lives with the film's star, Isabella Rossellini, for the next five years.

1990-91 Lynch makes his most commercially successful work, the television series Twin Peaks. Wild at Heart wins the 1990 Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival but receives a mixed reception in America. This is as nothing, however, compared to the savaging that his feature film Twin Peaks: fire walk with me receives two years later.

1997 Lynch re-emerges from obscurity with the polarising Lost Highway.

1999 The Straight Story marks a departure from surreal subject matter and a return to critical approval.

2001 Mulholland Drive wins him the Best Director award at the Cannes Film Festival.

Kylie Walker

http://www.newstatesman.com/200703120030

I hear that his new film, Inland Empire, is crap.

H_James said:
I hear that his new film, Inland Empire, is crap.

Strictly for the fans is what I heard. But I'm a fan and it looks good to me.

I'm a fan and so are the friends who told me it was crap. :( I guess I'm going to have to judge for myself, but I'm not rushing out to see it right now. I'll have to wait until it's on at 3am one lonely night.

The Alphabet.

One of David Lynch's first films created while in film school in 1968.

Against a backdrop of bizarre shapes and textures, a small organic figure gives birth to the letters of the alphabet.

A mixture of children's voices and an opera singer create the soundtrack.

Hmm, my art student friends all think it's the best thing since sliced bread, however.

Well, I saw it. It was odd. If you cut out bits and threw them away and then cut up the rest you might be able to fit it together to make sense. I reckon it would require a differential equation though.

Some very good parts and a great song and dance ending. Didnt like the giant hares though. Towards the end a door opened to the hares room, at that stage Laura was armed and I hoped she would come in and shoot them. Or that Elmer Fudd would.

I've seen it now, and I take it all back, it's really quite astonishing.

ramonmercado said:
Didnt like the giant hares though.

I rather liked the film. I didn't expect a real storyline so I wasn't disappointed. There are some very scary moments ... and then nothing happens!

I really liked the hares in their parallel world and the girl who was watching them on a noisy TV-sceen. That's a moving recurring scene.

It was worth the 8 euro I paid, and my 16 year old son liked it too.

But then I also liked Wim Wenders' "Im Lauf der Zeit" ...

Saw Inland Empire, and I'm in two minds about it, or two different personalities might be more appropriate. I felt Lynch didn't spend enough time developing the normal side and wallowed in the weirdness too much. But by the musical number at the end if I hadn't been won over. And the reunion bit at the end with the TV woman was strangely moving. Strange, of course it was strange.

This thread has been dormant for 4 years, and now...

Has David Lynch retired, or is it just a bad dream?

With no film projects in the last five years and a sudden swerve into the music business – is this the red curtain for David Lynch?

In a house near the Hollywood Hills, a silver-haired man of 65 picks up a guitar. Later, he will paint. He may grind a little coffee. But whatever he's doing, none of it is likely to involve anything even vaguely resembling the making of a feature film. This man is David Lynch – and that particular lack of activity is now, according to a more-or-less reputable source, permanent. The world's greatest living director appears to have quit the job.

The news was broken by another one-off of the old school, Abel Ferrara, who in the course of a recent interview let slip that his compadre "doesn't even want to make films any more. I've talked to him about it, OK? I can tell when he talks about it." And yes, this is only hearsay, but aside from Ferrara having no obvious reason to dissemble, it only confirms what many of us long ago sensed in our collective gut – that the five-year gap since his last film, the wildly ominous Inland Empire, is no mere extended holiday.

Full article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... ch-retired

His music is interesting... and hopefully he hasn't retired, but maybe he feels like he's repeating himself too much? He still needs to @#$%! restore the missing half to Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me before riding off into the sunset, tho...

I read this a while ago, apparently it takes so much hassle for him to get a film project off the ground he's not sure he wants to anymore. So no Rocket Ronnie, no One Tiny Saliva Bubble... and no conclusion to Twin Peaks. But we do get some twee tunes, if that's any compensation.

Waxing lyrical: David Lynch on his new passion - and why he may never make another movie

From fine art and films to TV and now music - Lynch seems able to turn his hand to anything and transform it in the process. So why does he seem so out of touch with the modern world?
Article in the Independent

And Lynch's video for the new Nine Inch Nails song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN6pT3zL44

WARNING: This video has been identified by Epilepsy Action to potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. Viewer discretion is advised

Back