• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did We Smoke Out A Time-Traveller?

BJSC

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Late one evening, late last year, my girlfriend and I were in my local pub. We got into one of those fleeting, spontaneous conversations with a man standing at the bar. He was very affable and chatty, merry but not drunk, and, as we noted to each other with a sideways grin and a nudge, looked as though he had come straight from a 1970s-themed fancy dress party.

He was quite young, possibly mid-30s, wore a burgundy turtleneck sweater, and had his hair swept back in a sort of wavy blonde mop that you really never see any more. I'm not going to say the words 'All Spice' but he was wearing an after shave or eau de toilette which even smelled a little retro, if that's possible. If he had been at a fancy dress party, he deserves full credit for getting into character.

(Perhaps a side-note, but worth mentioning I think: I go in to this pub often; too often for my own good. But the point is, I had never seen this man in there before, nor have I seen him there since, and this was a good eight or nine months ago. Of course, there are lots of possible explanations for this; he could have been from out-of-town, or overseas, but he definitely spoke with an English accent.)

When for a brief moment the man stepped out of earshot, one of us, I forget who, leaned into the other and sniggered something along the lines of "is this guy a time-traveller or something??"...

Which would have been the end of a rather cruel and snobby joke about fashion sense. But then all of a sudden in the middle of this very busy bar, without hesitation, he lit up a cigarette. It was only when one of us blurted out "You can't smoke in here!!" that he dashed outside to the street.

Now a lot of smokers had a few slips, through force of habit, in the first few days and weeks of the 2007 ban. But I believe even the most hard-handed smokers have learnt by now, after well over a decade, that you have to go outside for a cig.

Surely the first rule when visiting another dimension, is to brush up on the (up-to-date) local laws?

Last edited:
Late one evening, late last year, my girlfriend and I were in my local pub. We got into one of those fleeting, spontaneous pub conversations with a man standing at the bar. He was very affable and chatty, merry but not drunk, and, as we noted to each other with a sideways grin and a nudge, looked as though he had just come from a 1970s fancy dress party.

He was quite young, possibly mid-30s, wore a burgundy turtleneck sweater, and had his hair swept back in a sort of wavy blonde mop that you really never see any more. I'm not going to say the words 'All Spice' but he was wearing an after shave or eau de toilette which even smelled a little retro, if that's possible. If he had been at a fancy dress party, he deserves full credit for getting into character.

(Perhaps a side-note, but worth mentioning I think: I go in to this pub often; too often for my own good. But the point is, I had never seen this man in there before, nor have I seen him there since, and this was a good eight or nine months ago. Of course, there are lots of possible explanations for this; he could have been from out-of-town, or overseas, but he definitely spoke with an English accent.)

When for a brief moment the man stepped out of earshot, one of us, I forget who, leaned into the other and sniggered something along the lines of "is this guy a time-traveller or something??"...

Which would have been the end of a rather cruel and snobby joke about fashion sense. But then all of a sudden in the middle of this very busy bar, without hesitation, he lit up a cigarette. It was only when one of us blurted out "You can't smoke in here!!" that he dashed outside to the street.

Now a lot of smokers had a few slips, through force of habit, in the first few days and weeks of the 2007 ban. But I believe even the most hard-handed smokers have learnt by now, after well over a decade, that you have to go outside for a cig.

Surely the first rule when visiting another dimension, is to brush up on the (up-to-date) local laws?
So you got the vibe he wasn't just a hipster then ? .. on a side note about smoking inside pubs these days, I hold a council issued personal licence .. customers are still allowed to light a cigarette inside a bar, they'll only get in potential trouble, technically speaking, if you ask them to take their now lit ciggy outside and they then refuse .. the pedantic nuts and bolts of these scenarios ..

So you got the vibe he wasn't just a hipster then ? .. on a side note about smoking inside pubs these days, I hold a council issued personal licence .. customers are still allowed to light a cigarette inside a bar, they'll only get in potential trouble, technically speaking, if you ask them to take their now lit ciggy outside and they then refuse .. the pedantic nuts and bolts of these scenarios ..
he may well have been a hipster..you certainly see hipsters wearing more pretentious outfits than this one! And thanks I didn't realise that about the personal licence; does that vary between local authorities? (This was in Nottingham)
Even so, it was the way he did it so brazenly, without checking, that suggested it didn't even occur to him it might not be okay to light up..

he may well have been a hipster..you certainly see hipsters wearing more pretentious outfits than this one! And thanks I didn't realise that about the personal licence; does that vary between local authorities? (This was in Nottingham)
Even so, it was the way he did it so brazenly, without checking, that suggested it didn't even occur to him it might not be okay to light up..
I can only tell you about how it's dealt with in Norfolk although I'm pretty sure the policing of smoking in work areas is nationwide standard now .. I'm a smoker myself, I even used to pull pints for customers at the same time as smoking .. the first day it came into force was a bit overkill, a regulars wife was a bit of a rebel so decided to light one up in the restaurant I was a manager in at the time .. I hated myself for doing it after she gave me the "So what will you do if I do" ultimatum : "Then I'd ask you to go outside to keep smoking according to the new law that I don't agree with." .. so she lit the cigarette: "Can you please go outside to smoke that cigarette." .. so her husband asked her to go outside ..

I've worked in places that I've had to pretend not to notice co workers selling weed outside .. given the choice and on a quiet evening, I'd probably join them for a smoke ..

Last edited:
Great post ,reminds me of a remembrance day at our local church a few years back ,a lot of regular faces ,ex service men and woman ,about 50 of us in total but one guy just stood out (to me anyway ) he, d be about 25 but had the air of someone older,like he had seen active service, he had a Milatary bearing ,smartly dressed ,but could have stepped out the 40,s or 50 ,s I'm even sure his handlebar moustache was waxed, only ever saw him the once ,

Was he smoking Players No.6 and did he try to order a pint of Watneys Red Barrel and a pack of Golden Wonder crisps?

Otherwise, I smell hipster (or just possibly an ex-pat who'd been out of the country for years and wasn't aware of the indoor smoking ban).

Last edited:
Late one evening, late last year, my girlfriend and I were in my local pub. We got into one of those fleeting, spontaneous conversations with a man standing at the bar. He was very affable and chatty, merry but not drunk, and, as we noted to each other with a sideways grin and a nudge, looked as though he had come straight from a 1970s-themed fancy dress party.

Unlikely. It's probable he has a diagnoses of schizophrenia, (odd clothing and the need to smoke). Nicotine has an odd effect on the brain which can lessen psychotic symptoms - hence the reason a lot of the older Schizophrenic population smokes.

Not everyone is "bonkers" with a diagnosis but it's often telling with the need to smoke.

Last edited:

cute story but we need more to go on than he was a little fashion dated and lit up without thinking. now, if he had said something that seemed out of the proper time, we might have something. did he talk to anyone else, did anyone else seem to know him? you said he was chatty, but didn't mention what he chatted about.

If you see him again ask him to be in a selfie with you. And then get the shot just as he is wondering wtf a selfie is...

Hipster would have a man bun rather than his hair swept back <nods knowingly>

From the OP's description, this is how I imagined the strange person at the bar to have his hair. The one in the middle -

a5c7344cfd24f86cb7b7b928b06304c4.jpg

Lots of fun to be had if you google '1970's men's hair'.

4496f7a2634a5f566cc1bd1fd19a0b49.jpg
Bottom row, second from right. @JamesWhitehead. Send a Postal Order for £5 to the address on my profile.

To tell a Royalist from a Parliamentarian, you had to look at the colour of the sash he was wearing. Your genuine "Roundheads" were actually London apprentices, and Parliamentarian to a man. Or boy.

Edited to add: I did try to add the relevant three quotations to that, but for some reason, it didn't work...

I remember him as a Royallist when I saw him he was usually propping up the bar in the Cross with a flagon of ale and a log stemmed clay pipe, horse was usually ticking over in the pub yard, he was really a bus driver for Selnec.

Last edited:
To tell a Royalist from a Parliamentarian, you had to look at the colour of the sash he was wearing. Your genuine "Roundheads" were actually London apprentices, and Parliamentarian to a man. Or boy.

Edited to add: I did try to add the relevant three quotations to that, but for some reason, it didn't work...
I thought it had something to do with headgear and hairstyles? And the armour or lack thereof?

The one in the middle -
..looks like Henry Cooper's cousin.

Lots of fun to be had if you google '1970's men's hair'
Ouch. I do have vague memories of this, from the time. You do realise I shall need therapy to recover from seeing this again? The 70s were a strange time, a fitting malformed child of the 60s (as am I, although I'm not paisley patterned).

Wonder If Captain Helliwell still frequents The Cross pub in Heptonstall, met hime a time or two, you could not shake him out of character.

http://www.fotozanetti.com/luca/portfolio/portraits/page-23
Good grief, that website is just stunning...Zanetti was an unknown name to me (as a photographer) but now I'm very impressed http://www.fotozanetti.com

I thought it had something to do with headgear and hairstyles? And the armour or lack thereof?
No, if you look at portraits of prominent men on both sides, they often have the same long hair, the same broad brimmed hats, and the same armour, including the lobster back helmet we associate with the New Model Army. Royalists wore red sashes, Parliamentarians orange, but in an age before fast chemical dyes, even that wasn't always foolproof.

No, if you look at portraits of prominent men on both sides, they often have the same long hair, the same broad brimmed hats, and the same armour, including the lobster back helmet we associate with the New Model Army. Royalists wore red sashes, Parliamentarians orange, but in an age before fast chemical dyes, even that wasn't always foolproof.
I vaguely recall from my ECWS days that one of the innovations of the New Model Army was to standardise clogs as a badge of fandom russet-coloured coats rather than the individual colour preference of whichever aristo was CO of a particular regiment. (I think individual regiments were distinguished by the colour linings of the folded-back cuffs and collars.) If a unit came at you through the fog of war wearing these, there was a fighting chance it was Parliamentarian, and you could make your tactical decisions accordingly. These coats were the fore-runners of the redcoats favoured by the British Army for a surprisingly long-time before someone realised they might make the soldiers somewhat conspicuous - presumably this became a problem around the same time that rifling musket barrels became widespread.

Back