• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Discussion Of Spam & Spammers

MercuryCrest

The Severed Head of a Great Old One.
Staff member
"Spammer's Gate" is locked, and I have no "mark as spam" button, so here:

[ [ gone ] P_M ]

Kellyban's comment is clearly wedding photography spam.

This might be a good thread to keep around so others can flag spam if/when they come across it. (The mods do a great job, but something's bound to slip through)

Thanks! :)

Any reports of spam can go here in future. I'll even sticky it.

P_M

There's a dodgy new poster in the "Weird Sex" thread, offering 50% off ! :D (No exclamation mark on the top right.)

Can people not reply to spammers but just report them. Don't make eye contact, stand tall with arms raised to make yourself seem bigger and finally, don't feed them.

My finger's getting sore from clicking the Report link! About six today so far!

[QUOTE="MercuryCrest, post: 1426981, member: 3661This might be a good thread to keep around so others can flag spam if/when they come across it. (The mods do a great job, but something's bound to slip through)[/QUOTE]
Not necessary - At the end of every post there is a Report link.

And unlike the old MB report, it pops up a little box where you can give your reason for reporting, eg Spam, flaming, double post, etc....

I'm just not seeing the Report button Rynner..... :oops:

I'm just not seeing the Report button Rynner..... :oops:
I think it might disappear if the post has already been reported. That way the Mods don't get multiple reports about the same post.

Eg, the post you mentioned above, I'd already reported. ;)

Look underneath the text in the post for the word 'Report', which is a link.
Or try an Edit/Search for the word 'report' on the page.

Can people not reply to spammers but just report them. Don't make eye contact, stand tall with arms raised to make yourself seem bigger and finally, don't feed them.
Does it make a difference? I assumed the bots just leave their links and are off..?

I've just reported two more spammers. But I see from the forums pages that actual FT posters are hugely outnumbered by robots! Some are presumably just indexing the site, but how about the rest? Is it Spamogeddon?! Can anything bedone to keep this crap out?

Can anything bedone to keep this crap out?

On some other forums I've noticed that after you join your first few messaqges don't appear until they have been checked by a moderator, then you can post as normal. Maybe that feature would help here?

I've been using the 'report' link underneath - is that useful or should I not be bothering?

On some other forums I've noticed that after you join your first few messaqges don't appear until they have been checked by a moderator, then you can post as normal. Maybe that feature would help here?
Or maybe just not allow adding links or images until you post 5 times is another way. Then the mindless faceless ones won't get to post at all.

Isn't there already a spam trap for those signing up? I'm trying to remember what happened when I re-registered, but I think there was.

What kind of maniac would click on one of those links anyway? I suppose it only takes one to make the spammers feel they're not in vain.

Isn't there already a spam trap for those signing up? I'm trying to remember what happened when I re-registered, but I think there was.

Just had a look and its one of those capatcha things. That's probably where they're getting their user names from.

I've been using the 'report' link underneath - is that useful or should I not be bothering?
That's what I'd do (I did it about 6 times in 6 minutes yesterday, after a particularly strong flurry of incoming crap) - I would think it's a quicker way of alerting the Mods than merely posting in this thread, though this remains a good way to let off steam about the flood of Spam!

Pity we cant find out who they are and spam em back, childish i know, but hey, it would be fun :p

It's been a few days now since any moderators have been onboard. I know they have had a lot to contend with recently, what with the changeover, but I would really like to see them back. ASAP.

It's been a few days now since any moderators have been onboard. I know they have had a lot to contend with recently, what with the changeover, but I would really like to see them back. ASAP.
Yes, is it worth us reporting Spam, if the spambots are randomised single-use weapons? Some guidance would be helpful.

reporting does at least lower bloodpressure :)

Morning.

All reported spam dealt with - thanks to everyone. Yes, do please report it, we get notifications, and our new spam system tracks down all matching IPs etc, deletes spammer's entire content, you name it. Is rather good.

As for other reports, am dealing.

Back