• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You Believe In Astrology?

Do you believe in astrology, and are you male or female?

• Yes I believe in astrolgy and am male.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Yes I believe in astrology and am female.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I am undecided about astrology and am male.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I am undecided about astrology and am female.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I do not believe in astrology and am male.

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • I do not believe in astrology and am female.

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Anyway, as we're currently in Mercury retrograde it might best not to jump to conclusions. :wink2:
A recent letter in the Metro complained that their horoscopes used to predict what would happen, but now are just full of waffle about planetary movements. A reply, purportedly from one of the Metroscope team, explained that a count is made of the number of planets mentioned under each star sign and the whomever drew up the least entry has to make the tea.

I think that astrology is a heap of dingo's kidneys. However, I have noticed that those people I know who are fortunate to have been born under the sign of Scorpio (like myself) all share the same personality traits. Or am I just seeing those traits and excluding the ones that don't fit?

I read a horoscope once and did not like what it said.

I have never looked at them since.

Not knowing anything about the Chinese New Year about the rare The Year of the Water Tiger, I tried to read about it.

Seems the Chinese calendar is very complicated like you don’t want to “ piss off “ the God of Age.

It seems the signs are tied to earth’s elements water, wind, fire, and earth.

It also seems if the water tiger will “ piss off “ the other calendar signs.

All of this is beyond my comprehension and supposedly the water tiger can be OK or can be obnoxious.

I am sure over the centuries there are libraries full of books on the Chinese Calendar.

I remember a story told by Billy Connolly. He was dating a girl who worked for the local paper. She was late for a date and when she eventually arrived she apologised, her excuse being she had to stay late to cover for someone whose turn it was to write the horoscopes! He was devastated as he had read them religiously for ages :chuckle::chuckle:

Tomorrow Jupiter, Mercury, Venus, Uranus, Mars, will align.

This could cause you to be a little unsettled for the day.

Mercury Retrograde approaches!

Here is all you need to know, from Almanac.com.

Mercury Retrograde Dates for 2023

Three times a year, the planet Mercury appears to travel backward across the sky. We refer to these periods as times when Mercury is in apparent retrograde motion, or simply ”Mercury retrograde.” To those who practice astrology, these times in particular were traditionally associated with confusion, delay, and frustration. Think undelivered love letters, email blunders, and frazzled travel plans! This is an excellent time to reflect on the past, however, and it’s said that intuition is high during these periods. Coincidences can be extraordinary.

:nods:

I just started watching Department S for the first time (gear fab - I'm digging it!) and was reading about the series. It turns out that lovely star Rosemary Nicols became a devoted astrologist not long after filming the series. I found it out via this article in a TV-Guide-type UK publication reprinted on Twitter:

Here are the two pages, but I can't get them any closer. It has plenty to say about both her career and astrology: rosemary1.jpgrosemary2.jpg

I am sceptical myself. I really don't know if what the planets were up to the moment I was born are an influence on my personality. And having Virgo as a sun sign, get used to all the sniggers in the pub.
I have a junior school chum who is born exactly the same day at about 45 minutes before me. His life turned out to be very different from mine. For example he and his family moved from southern England to Canada when we were both 14 whilst my life stayed quite static by comparison. We resumed contact in 2010 with the rise of social media. What is interesting is that we have very similar views in many respects but so much has happened to us which is so different.

In came out after President Reagan left office in that an astrologer, Joan Quigley, was helping the President run the U.S.

His wife Nancy would not do anything without talking to this astrologer.

I have been wondering about this topic. Not sure how astrologers would explain events which catch vast numbers of people in their grip, wars, droughts, famines, and pandemics . I raise this in a more neutral mode. For example, I was thinking about my junior school chum and his family emigrating in the 1970's when it was much bigger deal than now. Would all five members of the family have to have something in their birth charts which denoted planets forming certain relationships to one another. Then got me considering events which impact larger numbers of people.

I went through primary school with two other girls born on the same day as me, and we couldn't have been more different! I don't remember us having a single thing in common, although we were all in entirely different friend groups, so I could have missed something.

It might be why I've always been sceptical of astrology, although I did go through a phase of doing birth charts and, according to everyone I did them for, I was really, really good at it, which is very strange :dunno:

I went through primary school with two other girls born on the same day as me, and we couldn't have been more different! I don't remember us having a single thing in common, although we were all in entirely different friend groups, so I could have missed something.

It might be why I've always been sceptical of astrology, although I did go through a phase of doing birth charts and, according to everyone I did them for, I was really, really good at it, which is very strange :dunno:
Interesting, I can see an argument for Astrology on the lines of that it becomes meaningful if someone identifies with the attributes of their sun sign/ moon sign/ ascendant or even their birth chart as a whole.
So perhaps belief or at least a suspension of disbelief is required when approaching the subject.

When I first got married they had machines for a penny you got your weight and horoscope.

My horoscope claimed I would have trouble with my health, which I guess came true as I have been a longtime diabetic.

Actually I have the “ triangle of death “, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes.

But with lots of medication I am still here.

Whether you believe in astrology or not depends on what you mean by 'astrology'.

The newspaper column telling you how your day will go? That's useful for wrapping your fish and chips in, but not much else.

On the other hand, I once knew a lady who would do an individualized chart for you and after pondering it for some time, she could come out with some surprisingly specific insights, and even predictions of your immediate future.

The catch was - and I knew enough of the theory in those days to have some idea - that she couldn't really justify much of what she was saying on the strength of what she was seeing in the chart. Traditional interpretations just didn't enter into it. She seemed to be making up her own interpretations as she went along. And yet those interpretations were often uncannily accurate.

I experienced a little of the same thing myself, when I tried Tarot readings. I haven't done that for decades, and yet at one stage I flirted with the cards and found that I could often get some surprising details out of the layouts.

Again, if you'd asked me why that particular layout meant what it seemed to be meaning, I couldn't have told you. Things just popped into my head, and I found myself coming out with statements that I would never have expected. Whatever was happening seemed to be happening outside the traditional 'meanings' of the cards.

That led me to my own pet theory of divination. Tarot cards, astrological charts, tealeaf patterns - all of it is just a crutch to let your conscious mind go into a sort of mini-trance and allow your unconscious to do the actual forecasting. Your unconscious can access stuff that your conscious mind will never be able to see. Hypnotise yourself with those wonderful old mystic Tarot designs and things can happen.

So do I believe in astrology ? I'd rather say that I believe that certain individual 'astrologers' can be successful. Even if it has blow all to do with what's in the charts.

Of course the way to test this is to produce charts for a good number of people, give them all the same interpretation and then see what proportion say that the interpretation is really good. By and large people will read what they want to hear. Put "good sense of humour" into every interpretation and virtually everyone will agree. How many people think they DON'T have a good sense of humour?

Of course the way to test this is to produce charts for a good number of people, give them all the same interpretation and then see what proportion say that the interpretation is really good. By and large people will read what they want to hear. Put "good sense of humour" into every interpretation and virtually everyone will agree. How many people think they DON'T have a good sense of humour?
Didn't Derren Brown do something similar when he presented a group of students with a written sheet of their personality type which most said was accurate to some high percentage. Of course all the sheets had the same text containing comments like; you have a good sense of humour, you are often misunderstood, etc.

Of course there is always Billy Connolly's line when asked his star sign. " I used to be a Saggitarius, but I changed it; you can under Scottish law."

Didn't Derren Brown do something similar when he presented a group of students with a written sheet of their personality type which most said was accurate to some high percentage. Of course all the sheets had the same text containing comments like; you have a good sense of humour, you are often misunderstood, etc.
Yes, he did, I remember that. Are they Barnam statements?

Yes, he did, I remember that. Are they Barnam statements?
I believe so, sounds like the sort of thing he'd dream up.

Always liked his scam about the cherry coloured cat. He'd charge a dime to see the cherry coloured cat. When people got in there was an ordinary black house cat. When people complained he'd answer: "Haven't you ever seen a black cherry?" The clever bit was that those who were duped thought it clever and so encouraged their friends to pay the dime and go and see the cherry coloured cat.

So astrology is a bit like voodoo - it only possesses the power to have an effect on your life if you believe in it.
I feel I've posted this elsewhere,, but anyway.

While I've no belief in astrology per se, it does strike me as possible that the time of year you are born, especially in countries where there is a large difference between summer and winter daylight hours, could affect one's character development in the critical first year. I wouldn't rule out gravitational effects either.

So there might be a grain of scientific truth there to be discovered, but I bet no-one goes there because too 'woo'.

While I've no belief in astrology per se, it does strike me as possible that the time of year you are born, especially in countries where there is a large difference between summer and winter daylight hours, could affect one's character development in the critical first year. I wouldn't rule out gravitational effects either.

So there might be a grain of scientific truth there to be discovered, but I bet no-one goes there because too 'woo'.
This aspect has been researched. The time of year a person is born does of course affect their later life chances. It's mentioned further back in the thread.

This aspect has been researched. The time of year a person is born does of course affect their later life chances. It's mentioned further back in the thread.
Hadn't read the whole thing.

I posted this over on another thread, but perhaps it really belongs here.
For anyone who wants a complete workup of your personal astrology, just enter your birthdate, exact time and place:

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/birth-chart-horoscope-online

This will tell you everything you'll ever need to know about yourself - your rising signs, moon signs, the position of all the planets at the moment of your birth, and how they affect you.
I have to say they are right about me!

Well I'm a Capricorn (earth sign) with Leo rising and Leo moon sign - so double fire, which surfaces from time to time, and Capricorns are not by nature fiery.
All the planets have an effect on us, subtle or not, and if you're curious about your make-up, click on the link I posted above. :)

When I first got married they had machines for a penny you got your weight and horoscope.

My horoscope claimed I would have trouble with my health, which I guess came true as I have been a longtime diabetic.

Actually I have the “ triangle of death “, high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes.

But with lots of medication I am still here.
Walk a lot - many people get rid of their blood pressure problems and diabetes with lots of exercise and walking.
Also - Flaxseed Oil capsules, 1200 mg, one per day, can help cholesterol.
I always take the natural route!

Back