• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Dogman Or Werewolf

Dogs don't climb trees. What kind of a dog man could climb a tree?
(And what kind of a breath is louder than a roar? I think he saw a tree climbing asthmatic in camouflage . . .)

There is a podcast on the topic of Dogman and encounters with this creature which is not bad at all. You can find it on most podcast services.

The blurb reads:

Everyone has heard about Bigfoot. Not many know that there's a much more terrifying cryptid stalking the deepest, darkest woods of North America and beyond. Tune in every Friday night, at 9PM EST, as eyewitnesses share the terrifying details of their real-life Dogman encounters with you. These are real eyewitnesses, not actors.

If you listen to this show, you'll never look at the woods the same way again!

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/dogman-encounters-radio/id912241032

I've followed his YouTube for years. I'm sure I've put some of his vids on here before?

One of the best is the guy getting chased on a lonely road in his muscle car, with Dogman running alongside. Very believable encounter.

Surely there is a difference between a chihuahua dogman and a great dane dogman :p
I've just been thinking about this. When people say 'dogman', are they saying 'a dog the size of a man' or 'a cross between a dog and a man?' Because there's a bit of difference between a dog walking bipedally and a man shaped thing with the head (and maybe the fur) of a dog. Just like there's a huge difference between dog species - has anyone reported a dogman with a pug's head? Or are they all long-faced dogs, where the moniker 'wolfman' would be just as appropriate?

I've just been thinking about this. When people say 'dogman', are they saying 'a dog the size of a man' or 'a cross between a dog and a man?' Because there's a bit of difference between a dog walking bipedally and a man shaped thing with the head (and maybe the fur) of a dog. Just like there's a huge difference between dog species - has anyone reported a dogman with a pug's head? Or are they all long-faced dogs, where the moniker 'wolfman' would be just as appropriate?
LOL bull breeds too modern and inbred, I guess! Good point, though.

I once had an encounter in a remote-ish country lane round here with this tiny Yorkshire Terrier running hell for leather towards us down this twisty lane, come round a blind bend (seconds earlier, we'd have run it over). Followed instantly by a very orange and over-dressed young lady, trying to catch it, running in inappropriate heels (the young lady, not the dog). If it had been a new sort of dogman, it would have been even funnier.

On the Dogman Encounter Radio , folk have reported the traditional Wolf/ Alsatian type , hyeana types , bulldog face types and Dobermans.

The wolffish is the most common.

It's a bipedal wolf wether through natural evolution , or something supernatural . It's not said to be a half man /half wolf or a werewolf.

On the Dogman Encounter Radio , folk have reported the traditional Wolf/ Alsatian type , hyeana types , bulldog face types and Dobermans.

The wolffish is the most common.

It's a bipedal wolf wether through natural evolution , or something supernatural . It's not said to be a half man /half wolf or a werewolf.
It's not possible to get away from the werewolf/shapeshifter/loup-garou/rougarou comparison. I recall hearing Linda Godfrey try to justify the evolution of a wolf/dog to bipedal locomotion and it fell flatter than a witch's tit (so to speak). It only makes sense to people who do not understand how evolution works. It seems pretty clear that whatever sparked and continues to fuel the dogman phenomenon is helped along by the American spiritual turn towards the "dark magic demonic" view of the world these days. The idea of a hybrid of two normal things - a human and a dog - is profoundly weird to our brains and we can't not freak out about it.

Review of The Werewolf in the Ancient World by Daniel Ogden, from the New York Review*:
"The author of a new book on werewolves has hunted across the centuries for buried items of lore, ranging from ancient Greek texts to Victorian ghost stories."
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/20...52bb95b0a1f213c9605a497&utm_source=Newsletter

*Unfortunately, to make the whole article available without going under, the New York Review has to push for subscribers, but it still sounds like a corker of a book!

Review of The Werewolf in the Ancient World by Daniel Ogden, from the New York Review*:
"The author of a new book on werewolves has hunted across the centuries for buried items of lore, ranging from ancient Greek texts to Victorian ghost stories."
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/20...52bb95b0a1f213c9605a497&utm_source=Newsletter

*Unfortunately, to make the whole article available without going under, the New York Review has to push for subscribers, but it still sounds like a corker of a book!
Reviewed in FT 412 p 62

Especially for @Mythopoeika -

'Beast' of Barmston Drain 'seen killing German Shepherd'

One person claims to have seen the "tall and hairy" beast jump 8ft over a fence, carrying a German Shepherd in its jaw. Always one to keep an open mind, Hull historian Mike Covell even organised a "werewolf hunt" after more than seven people came to him claiming to have spotted the beast.

Mr Covell said: "I get a lot of odd sightings and reports and try to research as many as possible. These might be ghost sightings, UFO reports, sea serpent sightings, but the latest one was possibly the strangest yet.

"I was asked to research a werewolf sighting by a couple who had seen something that was tall and hairy, and was eating a German Shepherd dog by the side of the drain. They stopped to get a closer look and witnessed it jump 8ft over a fence, vanishing into the night, still carrying its prey."

This sighting was described at the Weird Weekend in Jamie's talk.

Did anyone subsequently try to track down the origin of the missing German Shepherd? They are expensive dogs and someone must have been missing one and trying to find it.
That occurred to me too.
A better yarn would have involved a fox being eaten. Nobody's looking for those. ;)

And why are Brits now calling Alsatians "German Shepherds"?!

Maybe because that term has been in use for a looong time.

In America! When I was very small I watched an episode of a kids' TV show that was educational, and featured a story demonstrating where Brits and Americans differ in their language. One example had the little girl protagonist being told by her American penfriend that she would be meeting her alongside a German Shepherd, and the British girl imagined a German man with a crook and some sheep.

has anyone reported a dogman with a pug's head? Or are they all long-faced dogs, where the moniker 'wolfman' would be just as appropriate?
You raise the terrifying spectre of the labradoodle man, and cockerpoo man.

And why are Brits now calling Alsatians "German Shepherds"?!
They were originally a herding dog, bred/developed by a German and were called the Deutscher Schäferhund. This was directly translated into English as "German shepherd dog" and they were known as such although the word "dog" was dropped as somewhat redundant.

Then after the first world war, residual anti-German sentiment led to them being reclassified as "Alsatian wolf dogs" after the French region of Alsace which borders Germany. The "wolf dog" was eventually dropped for fear of a backlash from an hysterical public and media.

In 1977, the (British) Kennel Club once again allowed them to be registered as German Shepherds.

So we went back to calling them German Shepherds around the time of punk rock, the Queens silver jubilee, and in the period of office of the American president, Jimmy Carter. It's not a new thing.

Last edited:
Being unfamiliar with the area I'd never heard of the Drain before the talk. It seems to have a long and unpleasant reputation for drownings, especially of children, and is also said to attract Black-Eyed Children, ooer.

If an Alsatian-eating Dogman could be spotted near any body of water it'd be that one. :omg:

How big would this thing have to be to carry a dog that size in its mouth, let alone leap over an 8 foot fence while holding it?

I don't know, I have a feeling that the Alsati..er German Shepherd was probably worked into the tale as "carrying a pug in its jaw" or "carrying a Frenchie in its jaw" would have sounded absurd.

How big would this thing have to be to carry a dog that size in its mouth, let alone leap over an 8 foot fence while holding it?

I don't know, I have a feeling that the Alsati..er German Shepherd was probably worked into the tale as "carrying a pug in its jaw" or "carrying a Frenchie in its jaw" would have sounded absurd.
Guessing the dog barked at the wrong leopard - best play muted. (Kathmandu 14th Dec)

About yay big.

This sighting sounds practically identical to an account in one of Linda Godfrey's books, probably The Beast of Bray Road.
I've been trawling Godfrey's books (not so easy, I have three in paperback, and three on my Kindle, at least one of which has non-searchable text), and came across this one, I don't think it is the encounter that I was thinking of so I will keep looking. From Real Wolfmen: True encounters in modern America by Linda S. Godfrey. It's from Kindle so I can't give a reliable page number (p260 on Kindle in my web browser).

DOG KILLER: MILLSTADT, ILLINOIS
By the late 1990s... a resident named Jim Bostick wrote to tell [the author] he knew of two people who encountered a huge unknown canine with a wolflike head. First, the creature chased a female friend's car north of town on Zingg Road, known in local legend as a haunted lane.
Not long after, a teen living on Concordia Church Road had to venture into the woods one night to find his family's runaway eighty-pound German shepherd. The dog had unaccountably dashed pell-mell after something and didn't return when called. The teen had walked about a quarter mile with only a flashlight to see by, when he heard ominous growling and barking from a moonlit clearing ahead. He arrived just in time to see an upright, seven-foot-tall, furry creature with a wolflike head and muscular, manlike body pick up his dog with its clawed forepaws and rip the poor mutt in half.
The teen turned and ran. The next day he went back and found only a few remains - shreds of fur and some blood. He let his family believe coyotes had killed their pet, but Bostik said his friend never recovered from the gory sight.

Last edited:
I've been trawling Godfrey's books (not so easy, I have three in paperback, and three on my Kindle, at least one of which has non-searchable text), and came across this one, I don't think it is the encounter that I was thinking of so I will keep looking. From Real Wolfmen: True encounters in modern America by Linda S. Godfrey. It's from Kindle so I can't give a reliable page number (p260 on Kindle in my web browser).

Sounds like dogmen have a taste for German Shepherds particularly!

- And yes, there is a Zingg Road just north of Millstadt, lllinois.

maximus otter

Or one story gets about a lot...

I think it's probably that a German Shepherd hits the narrative sweet spot. Everyone knows what one looks like; it's big and seems able to look after itself without being as obviously ridiculous an animal to overpower as, say, a Tibetan Mastiff. So a high proportion of dogman-defeating-dog yarns (well, two out of two on this sample) will naturally feature a German Shepherd.

I think it's probably that a German Shepherd hits the narrative sweet spot. Everyone knows what one looks like; it's big and seems able to look after itself without being as obviously ridiculous an animal to overpower as, say, a Tibetan Mastiff. So a high proportion of dogman-defeating-dog yarns (well, two out of two on this sample) will naturally feature a German Shepherd.
Yes, I can see the looks of bafflement if someone tells the story but instead of a German Shepherd they say ' it was carrying a Leonburger in its jaws. Or it may have been a Kangal, I couldn't really get close enough to see'. Everyone is going to be more concerned with looking stuff up online than worrying about the Dogman.

Reactions: BS3
Being unfamiliar with the area I'd never heard of the Drain before the talk. It seems to have a long and unpleasant reputation for drownings, especially of children, and is also said to attract Black-Eyed Children, ooer.

If an Alsatian-eating Dogman could be spotted near any body of water it'd be that one. :omg:

It's weird to me, because apart from on this forum (a few years ago now, where it was dubbed 'Old Stinky' or similar) when it was first mentioned, I had never heard of 'The Beast of Barmston Drain' before.

Weird, because I used to live a stones throw from the Hull end of that 'waterway', and indeed have friends who still do, where I used to go fishing in Barmy Drain with my Dad as a young 'un.

None of us have ever heard of 'The Beast of Barmston Drain'.

Maybe that's why we stopped fishing there and moved away, but if it was, my Father took that secret with him when he passed.

Mind you, it does trace a path roughly 20km from the River Hull somewhere between Hutton Cranswick and Brandesburton (where I also used to go fishing in my youth, and encountered nothing more worrisome dragon flies and a pike that was none to keen on being caught), before re-joining the River Hull near said city's town centre, so it could be these are all 'out of town' experiences.

Certainly the drain could be called 'Old Stinky'.

I'll have to bring it up with the locals next time I'm back that way!

Edit: Oh, and we've always used Alsatian and German Shepherd interchageably? Certainly my neighbours did when they had one, way back when I was still fishing in Barmy Drain :D

Last edited:
Back