• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

The big screen version was apparently important to DNA, so I hope it does finally go ahead for that reason alone.

I heard the original radio series on the my old crystal set in, what, the early '80s? Excellent stuff, some of which (eg the shoes) never made it into the books.

I'd like to see the Dirk Gently books given the big screen treatment too...

Jane.

Hitchhiker

The Beeb's Big Read is currently promoting Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as one of its top books.

VOTE FOR IT!

Most pundits reckon Lord of the Rings will win - the bookies say so - but let's give it a run for its money!

(Not that I will mind if LOTR does win, but LOTR and Hitchhiker in the top two slots would be wonderfully Fortean! :D )

PS: Sanjeev Bhaskar is promoting this book, which explains The Kumars at No. 42... !

Done, but to be honest I was tempted to vote for The Catcher in the Rye, shame there wasn't a second choice.

Well done, that man!

I read CATCHER in my teens (when it was famous) but I didn't really get it then. Perhaps I should re-read it.

you can vote once a week per phone and once a week per internet conection and once a week per moblie phone and once a week on sky didgitol. so if you want you can vote for more than 1 time per week per week.

I'm voting for Hitch hiker, pooh and 1984 atm :)

Me did it too!!!

well I was hardly gonna vote for some other book was I?

Okay, you've twisted my arm :)

I really wanted "To Kill A Mockingbird" to win, but since it obviously won't, I've voted for DNA

Jane.

ps I loved Catcher when I read it as a teenager but absolutely loathed it when I re-read a year or so ago.

Voted for Hitchhiker's before I saw this thread. LOTR is deserving too, but I feel like I'm supporting the underdog with Adams.

Not sure where my vote's going to go (with Jonathan Carroll if there was any justice in the world) but Hitchhiker is definitely in my Top 5.

I was expecting Stephen Fry to have been promoting this book - Sanjeev Bhaskar was good though :D

As for Catcher in the Rye, I always feel like I've really missed the point - bloody hated this book when I read it...

I'm a Wuthering Heights person.

Mind you, doing it at school was why I switched to Kath rather than Kathy... that and Kate Bush!

Kath

Voting for His Dark Materials, which won't win anyway... not that it really matters.

What? err...Oh, I was just leaving...*hides copy of Gone With the Wind sheepishly behind her flouncy skirts, and hurries off the thread* :blush:

I thought about voting for Catch 22, but the whole thing is a silly idea, how can you compare Wuthering Heights with Harry Potter for example?

I bet they have an undignified argument for the grand finale, like they did with the greatest Briton last year.

John Humphrys was pretty persuasive about To Kill A Mockingbird tonight, I thought. As for Hitchhiker's, I'd rather have seen the original clips of the TV show than their re-enactments. Love the book, mind you. Why does there have to be a winner?!

I'm not voting.

They don't have anything written from the vampire's point of view.

21 October 2003: Robbie told Saturdays Daily Telegraph that "We’re just about to cast the film, and all I can say is that Arthur Dent will be played by an English actor. Other roles, probably including Ford Prefect, will be filled by Americans."

Hmm, American Ford.

It could work, but I'll need convincing.

noooooooooooo!!!

please don't let Hollywood americanise HHGTTG,it just wouldn't work,i've never understood why it couldn't be made in this country. The US have no concept of what constitutes a joke,apart from their President of course...

AndroMan said:
Quite, Slytherin. I heard the original series, on Radio 4, on the wireless.

Very much the best version. :p

Amen to that, Dear Brother. ;)

Had em all on tape at one time, although I was so eager for my friends to get into the whole HHGTTG ethos, that they sort of got leant and never returned. Buggers.

I have mixed feelings about the film - it better be bloody good, anything else would be sacrilege.

Re: Re: 'Hitch Hiker's Guide' Is Go! Maybe...

The Yithian said:
it could've been worse, it could've been the people producing the music for the likes of Robbie Williams, UB40 and Fatboy Slim.;)

Some casting announced!!

From Sci Fi Wire (as usual, must start looking at other sites...):
"British actors Bill Nighy (Love Actually) and Martin Freeman
(TV's The Office) are set to star in the feature-film version
of Douglas Adams' SF cult novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy, the BBCi Films Web site reported. Nighy told
the site that he's been cast as alien planet designer
Slartibartfast in the long-gestating adaptation. Freeman will
play Arthur Dent, the everyday Earthling thrust into an
interplanetary adventure, the site added. (Fangoria,
meanwhile, reported that Warwick Davis will also appear.)

"I'm a big fan of the book, and the people who are making it
are very cool people, and I think they're going to do a good
job," Nighy told the site. "It's a really good script. It's
really, really faithful [to the book]. All the jokes are there,
and they're big fat jokes. It's wonderful. And with all the
technology we have now, it can not only be a big satisfying
comedy, but I figure it could be quite exciting as well.""

Yep the casting is on the Beeb:

Last Updated: Tuesday, 13 January, 2004, 17:53 GMT

Actor Nighy for Hitchhiker's film

Nighy featured in romantic comedy Love Actually
Love Actually star Bill Nighy and Martin Freeman from TV hit The Office are to star in a film version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Nighy has been cast as alien planet designer Slartibartfast in the long-planned movie adaptation of Douglas Adams' cult novel.

Freeman - Tim in The Office - will play Arthur Dent, the everyday earthling thrust into interplanetary adventure.

Nighy said he was a fan of the book, and hailed the script as "really good".

He told BBCi Films: "The people who are making it are very cool people and I think they're going to do a good job.

Writer Adams died suddenly in 2001

"All the jokes are there and they're big fat jokes. It's wonderful. And with all the technology we have now, it can not only be a big satisfying comedy but I figure it could be quite exciting as well."

He said a director had not yet been set, although writer-director Garth Jennings and producer Nick Goldsmith have been linked with the project.

Author Adams had spent years trying to persuade Hollywood to film his book before his sudden death in 2001, aged 49.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy originally started out as a BBC Radio 4 series in March 1978. From there it became a series of best-selling novels and a hit BBC TV series.

It follows the adventures of Englishman Arthur Dent, who is taken on a tour of the universe by an alien after discovering the Earth is to be flattened for a hyperspace bypass.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3393971.stm

I think that is great casting!!

Want to see Marvin:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editoria...tion=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=40618

Its a prototype but............ Dear Lord.

Emps

It looks more like Mickey Mouse without the ears. Metal Mickey?

It's interesting. It seems they've gone to try and visualise the "brain the size of a planet", where previously that's mainly been seen as a metaphor. (Nevermind that they could put a brain the size of a planet in Marvin through hyperdimensional spacial engineering, which is why Magrathea was bigger on the inside, etc.)

Also interesting is the idea that he will be played by a midget. Not entirely sure why. From memory Marvin was about 2 metres tall (as described in the book). I'm a big fan of EEO, but I don't really see what they're doing here.

I quite it enjoyed the 'specially filmed clips with Sanjeev Baskal (spl?) on the big read. Marvin was incredibly well done on that.

Who will play Ford Prefect I wonder?

Hook Innsmouth said:
Who will play Ford Prefect I wonder?
Some Hip Hop (if I interpret his website correctly) performer called Mos Def, apparently.

From Sci Fi Wire, 29-01-04
Martin Freeman (The Office), Zooey Deschanel and Mos Def top the cast of Spyglass Entertainment/Walt Disney Pictures' feature version of Douglas Adams' beloved SF satire The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Variety reported. Garth Jennings and Nick Goldsmith (aka Hammer & Tongs) will direct the movie, which starts shooting April 19 in London, the trade paper reported.

Adams, who adapted his own book prior to his death in 2001, will have a posthumous producing credit, the trade paper reported.

The story centers on Arthur Dent (Freeman), who is whisked off the planet by Ford Prefect (Def), an undercover alien researching The Hitchhiker's Guide just before Earth is destroyed to create a new hyperspace freeway. Deschanel will play Trillian, girlfriend of Zaphod Beeblebrox, a two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and current president of the Galaxy. That role has still to be cast, the trade paper reported.

Back