• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreaming the Afterlife

SameOldVardoger said:
How will afterlife appear for people who has lived in a vegetative state?
How will afterlife appear for "retards"? Will they still be "retards" there as well?
Many questions, only speculations...

Hopefully, "retards" will be the individuals they should have had here on earth, if some blip hadn't occured while they were in the womb.
I've got a "special needs" grandson. Despite having learning difficultuies, and being on the autistic spectrum, he still most definitely has his own personality.

gncxx said:
I've never heard that 33 rule before. Where is it from? Or is it one of those factoids you pick up and can't remember where it's from, as if it's always been there?

It's exactly that kind of factoid. I think it is from the Bible or the apocrypha somewhere but I'm no bible expert. It's the age at which Jesus died, of course. The tree and field thing is similar. I do know I discovered both factoids within the last three years.

They rather appeal to me being an escapee from the town - all I need in my heaven is my wife, our oak tree and the field in front of our house (assuming a temperate climate and no need for food!) A dog and some squirrels would be nice but optional.

If God has arranged this, I'm sure that any souls that need physical repairs of any kind will receive them.

My late father believed very firmly in an afterlife. Since his death we've all dreamed about him. My mother recently dreamed that she visited him and he told her, 'Look what they've given me!'

It was a large, well-equipped she'd. She told him not to clutter it up like his last one or they'd take it off him again! :lol:

Recycled1 said:
SameOldVardoger said:
How will afterlife appear for people who has lived in a vegetative state?
How will afterlife appear for "retards"? Will they still be "retards" there as well?
Many questions, only speculations...

Hopefully, "retards" will be the individuals they should have had here on earth, if some blip hadn't occured while they were in the womb.
I've got a "special needs" grandson. Despite having learning difficultuies, and being on the autistic spectrum, he still most definitely has his own personality.

Sorry for not using a better word. I had a relative who was very close who had "special needs" too. The MD used a tool to force the birth and he got a permanent brain damage. He had the mental capacity of a 12 y.o. He died before he reached 48 years.

My cousin was in England recentlly when his best friend died suddenly. When I took around some cuttings about the funeral he told me that when he got back he had the most vivid dream that his friend was talking to him and saying he was allright and he had met the children he'd lost now grown up.
He said it was just so real. I'm close to my cousin as my Father treated him like a son after his father died early and I wondered if it was his friend I dreamt of singing about the time he died.

escargot1 said:
It was a large, well-equipped she'd. She told him not to clutter it up like his last one or they'd take it off him again! :lol:

What's a she'd? Is that like a shed?

It's an iPad version of a 'shed'. ;)

There's a can of worms fer yers. I'm on t'iPad as we've changed ISPs but our new broadband hasn't shown up yet. :evil:

Any thoughts? It just felt so real. Obviously I'm not dead, but was this more than a dream? A preview perhaps?

What a marvellously detailed experience you described. i loved it! i think Jung would have been absolutely delighted to try and make some sense of it. It's definitely better than his dream of the impending first World War

Your imagery is amazing; it could easily be Hades as the Director, with the three monitors Minos, Rhadamanthus and Aecaeus respectively. Of course, Victor Hugo in 93 portrays Rhadamanthus as a dwarf but i suppose that was really an allegory of JP Marat, so who's to know. Or Osiris, with Thoth and the other participants of the weighing of the heart ceremony, the strange, dwarf figure Ammit. The possibilities are pretty endless.

Your post also put me in mind of some of Neil Gaiman's works; where old god struggle to find relevance in the modern world. He's not the only author to employ that device by any means, but still it reminded me of him. Also, your description reminded me of the Great Northern Hotel in Twin Peaks, where there was always some oddball convention going on. And of course David Lynch is an immensely fascinating bloke, with his TM and all that.

But i think it reminded me most of Pinder's Olympian Ode, which i hope you will permit me to post a small section of, and still apt these 25 centuries later:

"When men die hearts that were void of mercy pay the due penalty, and of this world’s sins a judge below the earth holds trial, and of dread necessity declares the word of doom. But the good, through the nights alike, and through the days unending, beneath the sun’s bright ray, tax not the soil with the strength of their hands, nor the broad sea for a poor living, but enjoy a life that knows no toil; with men honoured of heaven, who kept their sworn word gladly, spending an age free from all tears. But the unjust endure pain that no eye can bear to see. But those who had good courage, three times on either side of death, to keep their hearts untarnished of all wrong, these travel along the road of Zeus to Kronos’ tower. There round the Islands of the Blest, the winds of Okeanos play, and golden blossoms burn, some nursed upon the waters, others on lands of glorious trees; and woven on their hands are wreaths enchained and flowering crowns, under the just decrees of Rhadamanthys, who has his seat at the right hand of the great father, Rhea’s husband, goddess who holds the throne highest of all."

As to the meaning of any of it, well, what's life's meaning? Im open to the possibility of visions of other planes, future events revealed ahead of time, strange encounters with external intelligences, just as i am open to neruro-receptors, chemical messages and synaptic feedback loops. I suppose the only real point is if it has enriched, altered or even just made your life more interesting, for a transient period of time, then that's got to be a good thing. I occasionally have vivid dreams, that stay with me long after the night in question.

Great read! Thanks for posting!

I'll have to look up some of those references, as I'm not overly familiar with various tales of the afterlife.

I should note that it wasn't so much of an afterlife...more of an apres-vie. :D

And I talked extensively with my friend and he had no strange dreams that night.

I showed him this thread, after the fact, and nothing seemed familiar to him.

I think it would be hilarious if the dream was meant to ease any fear I might have of death and dying. It did, but it could so easily be taken as a warning, portent, or something else less desirable.

I used to be a home help for a while, and one day this old lady told me how she was visited by her dead father's ghost sitting on the end of her bed telling her he was coming to say goodbye and that he had to go away to a special school to 'learn some things'. She sounded very convincing.

I've been reading up on dream interpretation for a little while now. No expert, but sounds like things have been rough for a while and your dream life is trying to compensate. The mystical or superstitious interpretation of death dreams (one's own passing) is that your current problems will soon be over (I know...sounds ominous), but is actually your subconscious trying to compensate and bring healing to your mental state. The amusement park ride element and, ahem, beer spigot seem to confirm this? Or not. In any case, you might be in need of a bit of break. You all will be kind enough to forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes in any of my posts? I am American, after all. ;)

While it's true that I've been a bit stressed, there are certain elements that don't fit nicely into the standard 'just dreaming' category.

It is these which bug me. I've never had any experience quite like it. Even the "practice death" dream I mentioned in a later post could be easily categorized, but this one was completely unique.

Although symbolism frequently pops up in standard dreams, I just don't think that a simple interpretation of this one explains its overwhelming...for lack of a better term, "weight".

In recent years, I've had many dreams about what could be the afterlife. In my case, there was a mixture of familiar and unfamiliar things there. I have met my relatives there, some of whom are still alive, others who have passed on. I have met people there who I recognise as good friends yet I have never met them in real life. Some places there have been small while other places have been vast - much bigger than any similar place on Earth. Some things were bizarre, such as a building that rearranged its own internal layout instantaneously and also a giant chimera (a combination of lion, bear, horse and giraffe). It is the sort of place where no one gets hurt. I tried to punch someone but my fist became too slow and the target was able to shrug off the blow easily.

In regards to meeting people who were still alive, I have a thought....

It seemed to me that the place I was in was "outside of time". I wonder if everyone who's ever lived may exist there at any given moment, just because time no longer matters in that realm....

This reminds me very much of an interesting experience I've had during my one and only experiment with hypnosis and past-life regression.

When I was about 26 I went to a hypno-therapist who mainly did psychological healing and things like helping people break out of bad habits. I was only the fourth past-life regression she'd ever done. She did admit to me up front that she wasn't sure how to interpret the experiences people had had under hypnosis and didn't want to say for sure they were past-life experiences. However she was open to trying it out and letting me interpret my experiences in whatever way I felt was useful.

I did in fact have a full-on regression into a "past life" (which I'll leave out for now, though I will say I do not believe I was remembering a past life, nor am I even convinced of reincarnation. Rather I feel I was re-framing my current feelings and past experiences into a new narrative, rather like in dreams.) The interesting part came when I remembered "dying" and had an after-death experience.

In this state I had an extreme feeling of peace and even bliss and joy, and seemed to find myself in a white room/hallway with another being I couldn't quite "see" but could somehow feel. The other being seemed physically larger but protective and like a "guide". I looked down the hallway, which was a pure, radiant white, and seemed infinite, and along both sides were banks of old-fashioned NASA-like computers, the kind you see in old films! On each screen was playing a scene from a life in a different time and place and seen from the perspective of a different person.

The impression I had was that I could pick any screen at random and then go "into" that life and live it, even if that life were in the past. So they were all "my" lives and existed outside of a linear time or outside of time itself.

It's worth noting that during my teenage years I was very interested in this sort of thing and read a lot about NDEs and past lives. Also I'm a sci-fi nut. So it's probable that that knowledge informed my experience at the hypnotist's.

Still, it was fascinating and very vivid and realistic - that is to say, the experience was actually just like "being there" and not in any way like a dream or a memory. When I was brought back from hypnosis I actually had a rather sad feeling to have to "leave". I would have liked to spend more time in whatever place that was.

Not really sure what to make of the experience, but it did make a profound impression with respect to my feelings about death.

While it's true that I've been a bit stressed, there are certain elements that don't fit nicely into the standard 'just dreaming' category.

It is these which bug me. I've never had any experience quite like it. Even the "practice death" dream I mentioned in a later post could be easily categorized, but this one was completely unique.

Although symbolism frequently pops up in standard dreams, I just don't think that a simple interpretation of this one explains its overwhelming...for lack of a better term, "weight".

Mercury Quest. The hardest thing in life, quite often, is acceptance - quite often we focus more on the embroidered name on the towel, rather than the wonderful function of the towel (Douglas Adams was rather fond of towels)- I would accept this dream, with gratitude.

Who knows...the Sages have said, with our thoughts we create our world. Similarly, we are not what we think we are, but what we think, we are. If we consider life at an atomic level...we really don't exist...So........Maybe we can create with our thoughts, our 'heaven', in the same way. I'd certainly look forward to yours.

Back