• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

Maybe you're trying to turn yourself into a peach faced lovebird?

Actually, that's not bad, the paint was exactly the same shade of cream as the beak in my avatar. That's really rather frightening.

Sssshmokin'!

I'd be interested in hearing Sudi's, or anyone's, thoughts on the following....

Having been a 20+ per day smoker for ten years I decided, on a whim, to quit -- totally cold -- on New Year's Day 2000. To my surprise (and everyone else's -- I'm the girl who did a 2 hour workout at the gym, then lit up), I haven't touched one since!

However. Pretty much every night since then, whenever I dream -- whatever else I'm doing (fighting off sharks; battling timelords; fleeing ghosts) -- I'm smoking as well.

For the first 6 months this was awful; I'd wake in a blind panic thinking I'd succumbed, and only after I'd asked myself "do you remember buying any cigarettes? Can you see any ashtrays around?" would I calm down and realise it had just been a dream. Even when I didn't remember what I'd dreamt the night before, I'd have this feeling I'd done something I shouldn't and would spend the rest of the day feeling guilty!

Somehow, though, my subconscious must have twigged that my conscious mind had figured out what was going on, because it started to throw in whole new smoking subplots to my dreams; I'd now have dream "interludes" in which I'd be aware that I'd given up smoking, but weighing things up I'd decide that just one wouldn't hurt, so I'd cadge a cigarette off one of my dream characters (with the dream still going on around me).

Of course, this was still terribly confusing once I'd woken in the morning, but this happened (and still happens) so habitually that all dreams now begin with the pre-knowledge that -- although I've given up -- I may light up once or twice over the duration of the dream.

In fact I now tend to smoke more in my dreams although, interestingly, I no longer smoke during every dream, and I don't feel quite so bothered once I awake.

All theories welcome!

I think your body's craving for its prop is manifesting itself through your unconscious.
So your body cells are asking for their nicotine back, please, in a way that they know you will understand.

Nicotine addicton is strong and deep-rooted and not shaken off lightly. Even long-time ex-smokers can slip into it again, as your dreamtime 'just one can't hurt' persona warns.

Congrats on stopping and staying stopped!

Incidentally, you may be interested to learn that my ex-husband gave up smoking in horror when he found himself regularly waking in the morning smoking a phantom fag.

I dreamed of sh*t last night- someone left an advertising sign lying on the pavement outside my house and a dog cr*pped on it, so I cleaned it up in a citizenly fashion. Then it happened again behind my house and I wiped up once more.......

I was told by an Irish clairvoyante that dreaming of sh*t is a portent of money coming unexpectedly. Going on to dream of dealing with the sh*t, and especially getting it on one's hands, is supposed to be extremely fortuitous.
I had a small lottery win recently (£63!) and am perhaps subconsciously believing my luck to have changed.

Oh well.
Back to the real world, where I clean up after my dogs every day and will be broke for the foreseeable future!

Why do I keep dreaming about baby animals? It's either kittens or puppies and I'm trying to keep them safe - rescue them? But I either keep loosing them (they run away) or they get smaller and smaller and I can't find them.
In the dreams they are the most important thing in the world.

Interpretation please??!

pinkle

Do you have children, Pinkle? If not, maybe these dreams represent the ticking of the biological clock, suggesting you get on with it!

Take my advice, Pinkle, and leave small animals and babies WELL alone.

Otherwise you'll end up broke and cleaning up sh*t, like me.

Orbyn,

Perhaps you could use cigs/smoking in your dreams to trigger lucidity. I mean, your subconscious has "admitted" that you quit and changed its "tactics." Maybe now, when you find yourself with a cig in your hand, you can realize you're dreaming and try to take control.

Just a thought. Wednesday will be three weeks without a smoke for me. :)

Originally posted by escargot:

I think your body's craving for its prop is manifesting itself through your unconscious. <snip>

I was kind of hoping some witchy nemesis had hexed me to dream forever of the one vice I'd relinquished (ever the drama queen!) but all that sounds spot on. Ta ;)

Incidentally, you may be interested to learn that my ex-husband gave up smoking in horror when he found himself regularly waking in the morning smoking a phantom fag.

Good lord, that's terrifying! Actually, that reminds me: some years ago I stayed the night on a friend's floor; in the morning his sleepy voice asked, from his bed, if I'd like some coffee -- I said yes, thank you -- the voice then went on to ask how I'd like the coffee, whether I wanted toast, jam, etc. Once I'd expressed my preferences he said "okay" then went silent. After a few minutes I wasn't sure what to do -- I assumed he'd fallen asleep again -- when his voice spoke again:

"Here you go."

I was told by an Irish clairvoyante that dreaming of sh*t is a portent of money coming unexpectedly. Going on to dream of dealing with the sh*t, and especially getting it on one's hands, is supposed to be extremely fortuitous.

Ew. Interesting. I once dreamt (hold on to your breakfasts, friends) that I was trying to run a bath, but suddenly the toilet lid flew open and excrement came flying out of the bog into the bath, and I spent the dream trying to rectify things.

Never got any money out of it, though, unless you count the savings I made on food the next day...

rynner said:
Do you have children, Pinkle? If not, maybe these dreams represent the ticking of the biological clock, suggesting you get on with it!

No kids. Don't want kids either. Not 100% sure I could even have kids.

pinkle

Pinklefish said:
No kids. Don't want kids either.
Perhaps you don't want kids, but your body does! Hence the dreams...?

Minor Drag: The thought had actually occurred to me, too, so next time I catch myself sneaking a ciggie in a dream I'll try to take control and report the findings here (no guarantees, though; I've a notoriously bad memory!). Congrats on 3 weeks without, too!

Pinklefish: I'm with Rynner on this. I don't want children either but I regularly dream I *have* children, sublimated, mostly -- pets, a "class" of children; once I even dreamt I gave birth to a miniaturised version of my (non-existent) sister. i'm quite maternal towards puppies, kittens, loved ones and (gasp!) even children, but since I'm quite sure I don't want to spawn myself, I put these dreams down to treacherous biology. Maybe it's the same in your case. Or maybe I'm talking arse.

Pinklefish said:
Why do I keep dreaming about baby animals? It's either kittens or puppies and I'm trying to keep them safe - rescue them? But I either keep loosing them (they run away) or they get smaller and smaller and I can't find them.
In the dreams they are the most important thing in the world.

Interpretation please??!

pinkle

Okay, here's a quickie interpretation: You are having to deal with "small things" in your life that could grow to be large things, and while they are "not your babies" they do need attention...But these things are "slipping away from you", and your subconscius knows that "they are the most important things in the world"...

Been procrastinating Pinkle? Or having to deal with things that are really someone else's responsibility, and it is bothering you?

Both kind of. More the second one - I was whinging to someone at work yesterday about having another departments work foisted upon us when they decided to downsize.
Basically I'm expected to do my job and also another job at the same time which people who do that job soley get paid a lot of money to do (sysadmin).

grr
pinkle

I had a lovely dream. It was quite odd though, because usually I hate aeroplanes, but in this dream I had flown to a deserted island. I don't remember if the flight itself was in the dream or not, I don't think it was. I was aware of two other ppl with me, but as always, didn't see them properly. I felt very close to one (male) and I liked him being there. The other friend, whoever it was, was female and kind of tagging along, but she was welcome.
The island was beautiful. The aeroplane was "parked" on the beach near me and my friends were there with the plane. It was a small white plane. I left it and my friends as I walked across the flat sandy beach and sat hugging my knees in the sand. It was really hot and there was a gentle wind. There were palm trees. I felt completely at ease and was wearing like long white flowy clothes.
I don't usually have such vivid dreams, but if they are like this, I hope I remember them a bit more! :)

RE: Smoking Dreams and Small Creature dreams...Hmmmmmnnnnn......

Geeee...I had the same dreams after I quit smoking, years ago.

I would also wake up feeling guilt and actually fear that I had started smoking again!

So even though I don't have any really good theories as to why this seems to be a universal dream thing...the only thing I can come up with is that since the sub-conscious deals with occurances and activities that we are "processing" psychologically, we guiltily dream we are smoking when we're trying to quit to reinforce those feelings of (guilt) and dread of a relapse.

I see it as a kind of subconscious wrist slap, saying "See how bad this is??? Don't do it." because as I recall (it's been a while,) the sense of relief at realizing it was a dream was very reassuring. The same thing happened for years after I quit eating meat, too. I would dream I was chowing down on a burger, and even in the dream state realize I really didn't want to eat meat, and feel a sense of guilt and dread at the submission.

So I guess these types of dreams are there to organize our emotional responses to a ego-driven ("ego-driven" because we consciously DECIDE to thwart a physical habit and craving, for the benefit of our health, usually,) and we need to get our emotional reinforcement into the spotlight so we are, on all psychological levels, aware of the decision.

In other words, you already "know" consciously you are quitting. But what would that decision FEEL like in the language of the subconscious, where dreams interpret through visual and psychological symbols and EMOTION? Probably guilt and repulsion at the activity, whatever the dismissed activity might be.

----------------

The small animals....are usually instincts....but the protection of them in the dream world probably means you feel like you are emotionally under attack.

I also have no kids and do not nor did I ever want any :) (I am "childfree," not "child-LESS,") and I too dream of small kittens, etc, that need food sometimes or I've forgotten to give them water, some basic sustanance that they would need to live...so this probably means I am neglecting some of my own basic needs. Or protecting the small creatures probably mean you need to keep your more vulnerable aspects of your personality shielded for some reason.

I realized the other day, I can't recall ever having any small children in my dreams, although I have had nightmares about infants.

The dreams about pets/animals always have a very different tone from the dreams about infants.

I have never seen any similarity in the pet dreams and the infant nightmares.

But like the smoking dreams where I am full of dread at the activity, I assume the nightmares about the infants are also reinforcing that it WOULD be a nightmare to have an infant around.....just like I would DREAD eating meat or smoking again.

Sometimes the subconscious can be pretty direct.

-Sudi

:D

Sudi, you're interpretations are fascinating. You should start your own web site! Or better still, post in the weird/ humour section of my MB offering dream analysis. :D

Spooky Angel tells us this dream:

I had a lovely dream. It was quite odd though, because usually I hate aeroplanes, but in this dream I had flown to a deserted island. I don't remember if the flight itself was in the dream or not, I don't think it was. I was aware of two other ppl with me, but as always, didn't see them properly. I felt very close to one (male) and I liked him being there. The other friend, whoever it was, was female and kind of tagging along, but she was welcome.
The island was beautiful. The aeroplane was "parked" on the beach near me and my friends were there with the plane. It was a small white plane. I left it and my friends as I walked across the flat sandy beach and sat hugging my knees in the sand. It was really hot and there was a gentle wind. There were palm trees. I felt completely at ease and was wearing like long white flowy clothes.

This one seems like a dream venture into the superconsciousness, since you are flying. Getting to a deserted island via the flight would suggest travelling over water, usually a symbol for the subconscious. (Just like going downstairs to a basement would be a dream activity that meant you were delving into the subconscious, & going upstairs would be investigating the superconscious, where the issues of the super-ego dwell. This is according to Jung, as well as I recall.) So it appears this dream was using it's time to deal with a superconsciousness oriented super-ego driven matter. Super-ego meaning related to your soul, or something that has greater significance in your life right now other than something like what new car to get or whether to attend a party or apply for a new job. It's spiritual.

The superconscious would house isues that deal with the essential "you." In spiritual terms, the "you" in the superconscious would be your "soul." (Jung was very spiritual man, and when he used the term "spiritual" it could be applied to any system of beliefs or religion which deal with the meaning or philosophies of man's place in the universe. This includes how our spiritual "essence" interacts with our psychology in dealing with the physical world via our ego, (the ego being the portion of our personality that attempts to oversee our presentation of "self" to the world and to other people,) and our "persona," (the way we see ourselves in our psychological construct, which is usually the dream personality we wear; it's usually a mask-type accumulation of things we like and dislike about ourselves and we present that persona to the outside world.)

The "self" is made up of segments such as the anima and animus, dependiing on your gender. There is also a "shadow" that will pop up in dreams that embodies the portions of one's self that an individual really abhors and will project into this dream character. The shadow will be of your gender and is usually so horrid you really don't even want to think about the attributes of the shadow. Because it will be made of all the things you do not see yourself as being. One might even go out of one's way to display clothing of some type as a symbol to let the outside world know that they are NOT that type of person. (For example, I might wear "hippie" or non-conservative clothes to "prove" I'm not a "yuppie," when in reality that is exactly how I see some of my behavior. In other words, I consciously reject that aspect, but my subconsious picks up the que and assembles it into a dream character, "The Shadow," with all the disowned pieces of persona, so that I MUST process it somehow, on some psycholgical level.
----------------------------
Anyway, that got away from your dream. (Sorry!)

I think you have taken your "animus" with you to your superconsciousness. In this dream it would be the friendly male you had along and liked being there. A female's animus is the section of her super-ego that embodies her means of tapping into an "energy" source in real life. Women develop the dream character of the animus based on how they observed the interaction of a prominant male care-taker in their lives with a primary female caretaker. (A father and mother, usually.) If the male interacted with the female in a caring and supportive way, the female (child) will develop a very friendly, supportive animus that shows up in her dreams as a very comforting presence who elicits a very warm feeling. (After a dream in which a healthy animus shows up you may even wake up feeling like you wish you could feel that way all the time. I believe that the archetype of the Knight in Shining Armour originates here. I think Joseph Campbell deals with this in his investigations of mythologies, etc.)

Your animus seems very solid, I would guess there was an older male you dearly loved and trusted as you grew up, if not your Dad, then some other close relative who gave you mentoring and guidance.

The third person, the female, who "tagged" along might be the very inklings of a shadow, but since you don't dismiss and reject some specifically remembered aspects about her, and say she was welcome, I would think that she was there to complete the" trinity" of your "self" in the superconscious. (The idea of "three" being a "completion" or a "complete number' in Jungian psychology is based on the archtypical use the the Trinity by religions throughout the world. In other words the triad aspects of your persona were represented by the Animus, your Ego, and the this woman, who was not there for any reason other than a "spiritual" place holder in your dream voyage to your superconscious.)

So where does this bring us?

You don't like planes but flew to get to the spiritual realm of your consciousness, as opposed to, say, just realizing in the dream you were on the island already, without cognizance of the flight. You were willing to expend some energy to get there, even if it wasn't easy for you. Is there a pressing event that entails a spiritual or even religious investigation or contemplation right now?

You must also have a very substantial or comfortable level of spiritualty, since islands are surrounded by water, a usual dreamscape for the depths of the subconscious, and this island seems to be peaceful. And you did not have any dream issues with the water surrounding the island.

You also left your two friends at the plane. Since these dream characters were probably part of the triad of your ego, it seems you were able to leave those portions of yourself behind, and wanted to experience the spiritual plane in a totally non-filtered environment. (Maybe the use of the "plane" is a double visual/verbal pun your subconscious chose for this dream? :) ) You had no one else to project any aspect of your persona onto when you left them at the plane.

The trinity helped get your ego to the superconscious realm, but once there, you are able to experience it directly. You have even dressed in "white, flowy" clothing, an almost "angelic" garb, and quite appropriate for a "spiritual" visit to your superconscious. The non-descript nature of the garments also suggest that the ego is not presently judging or reflecting any percieved notions about who you see yourself to be. (A lot of times in dreams, clothes, especially shoes, for some reason, really represent persona...I think that's why some people are really shoe fanatics, for some reason the human creature seems to think that shoes tell all sorts things about our inner personalty that we reveal through the shoes we choose to wear. Think about the immediate implications that you get from the mention of red stilletto heels as opposed to sturdy loarfers, or Birkenstocks as opposed to strappy sandals....)

I would say that you are a person who finds meditation a means of solving problems and palliating conflict.

And that your Dad (or some othe male,) has really helped you out in critical times.

And that you are getting a "spiritual" re-charge right now from your superconsciousness, for something you are handling right now.

--Sudi :)

Sorry for the length! I ramble, as you can tell....! And thanks for the encouragement...about a website!

Right now, though I'm even having trouble interpreting your last post wherein you mentioned an "MB"...I'm sorry what is that? I'm having a brain-melt :rolleyes:

OOppSSS!! Duhhh!!! See how blind I can be when I'm "in the soup?" MB= Message Board!! I guess dreams are like that, too...your everyday emotions are so intrinsic you don't see the forest, and the subconscious steps in to store the emotional experiences...

While at the message board, I didn't even see it.

-sudi

feeling really "duh-ll"

Wow! Thanks again.
I had another vivid dream last night, but I think the meaning was pretty obvious in that one! lol :rolleyes:

Spooky Says:

I had another vivid dream last night, but I think the meaning was pretty obvious in that one! lol
----------------

I hope Ralph Fiennes or Liam Neeson made a guest appearance!

(No interps are needed for those fellas, if they happen to be your cuppa tea du jour, that is!)
:D

Happy dreamin'!

-Sudi

I had a weird dream last night; I was with all my old mates at what looked like a ruined castle but there was a small train (the ones that pull kids around at the seaside) and a monkey sitting on my shoulder. I think that may have been something todo withmy friend Sticker being frequently assaulted by the 'stress monkey'.

Caroline (Of Much Patience :) Dreamed:

I have a recurring dream when I'm ill.I'm running along a featureless plain with a very large boulder rolling along right behind me Indiana Jones style(this predated Indy by more years than I care to remember) the first curious thing is my legs are flying out like Penelope Pitstop's and I'm not scared of the boulder its just there.After a while there is a little wooden white gatewhich stands open at the side of the road and a little blonde haired girl who quite solemnly gives me a margarite type daisy. I run along the road again for a short while and suddenly I find myself in a control room rather like in Stargate SG1 with a lot of men in white coats then I wake up. Usually either heaveing my guts up or trying to cough my lungs inside out.

----------------

The featurless plain in the dreamscape suggests that your subconscious is very interested in your acknowledging the absence of ego in this dream.
(Not meaning that you are avoiding your ego, or that you are "egotistical,") just that this dream occurs when your psyche feels threatened by something that is beyond your control.)

So your subconscious does not project any psychological or personality aspects of yourself onto a dream companion, nor does it place the dream in any type of "architecture," meaning buildings or houses that would represent how you see yourself. Your "featureless" landscape is a non-ego driven setting for a dream.

The boulder isn't frightening to you in the dream, but since you are running from it, it does suggest that is something to be avoided. (Being persued by a huge boulder does seem like you are about to be run over, and although I try to steer away from making too much of the visual or verbal puns that seem to come up in dreams, this seems like one that shouldn't be missed. People often say they are beginning to feel "run down" right before they catch the flu or a cold, so maybe this is your subconscious' pun on that sentiment. :)

The most fascinating aspect of your detail of the dream, I think, lies in the description that you are running like "Penelope Pitstop." If I recall correctly, she was a silent filmstar who was usually placed in a compromising situation by a villain, (a Snidely Whiplash type,) and would be rescued at the last moment by a Hero. Your flight from the boulder is not interrupted by a Hero, however, but by a little blond girl. Can you recall how old you might say she is in the dream? Since she is "solemn" I would venture to say that there may have been some important life "event" you experienced at the same age of the little dream girl's age. Your reference to Penelope Pitstop, (...Penelope would be parallel to a "damsel in distress" in a Fairy Tale or Fable, I think,...) would suggest that you may have had to deal with some situation that placed you in some form of jeopardy (distress,) at an early age and that you had to become very serious, "grown-up" or "solemn" when it occured in order to handle it. (A random guess might be that you somehow lost a relationship with your father at an early age? Or the age of the girl giving you the Daisy?)

Also interesting, is your reference to "Indiana Jones" in the explanation (even though the dream began before you knew about him, certain characters will always represent an archetype, and the Hero archetype is one which is universal...Indy would represent the "hero" and he just happened to spring to mind when you relayed your current description of the dream. So you have subconsciously and simultaneoulsy thought of a Penelope Pitstop female character, and an Indiana Jones archtypical Hero. (This is sort of the type of exercise I think works when I ask dreamers to describe certain aspects or characters in their dream to a "Venusian" ...that "Venusian" being someone who has NO idea what the most direct definitions are so you will be forced to make subconscious associations with the dream images. Here you have done that and chosen two which exemplify the Damsel in Distress and the Hero.

What led me to ask if you lost a connection with your father at an early age, is that the person in the dream who essentially "rescues" you from the boulder is not a male (animus) Hero figure, but the little blond girl. She is an aspect of your own psyche, and one that developed a very mature and healing attribute for you psychically, at the same age as she appears in the dream. But the absence of an actual masculine character in this role leads me to ask about the possible disconnect with your father.)

The daisy also represents a living thing (as opposed to the impersonal, inorganic boulder, which is chasing and threatening you.) Plants can symbolize growth and healing in a dream. The daisy also embodies the very complex pattern that you find in a mandala....a specific design that Jung said represents a very deep image in a dream, but one that could represent a number of things, depending on which area of your psyche is dominant in that dream. (It does usually represent spiritual insight, though.) So it seems the little girl is a guide and a companion your subconscious has developed in place of the Hero, the "Indian Jones," that would ordinarily show up in a dream to rescue the "Penelope Pitstop," or rather, the jeopardized "damsel" aspect of your persona in the dream world.

The other thing that jumps out is that there are two "gates" in the dream. You have the little girl at a gate and there is a part of the dream that resembles "Stargate SG1." A gate keeps some things out and some things in. It is a dividing line. My guess would be that the gate that the little girl is standing by represents a dividing line in your life at that point discussed above, and the Stargate is the boundaries of the "medical" aspects of the dreams significance since it shows up when you are ill...after all, the men around you sound a lot like doctors in the white outfits. On a Jungian level, they probably are dream doctors your subconscious has supplied you with while you are sick, and has also equipped them with the technology you would find at "Stargate," in order to ensure you get the best care modern technology can offer.
---------------------

-Sudi

(sory this took so long! :)

Whoa! some interesting stuff to think about there sudi, thanks:)

Caroline-

No problem.... you're welcome, I enjoyed doing it.

-Sudi

Hey! I like your neat new avatar...

vascillating alien heads are the best!! :p

Inverurie Says:

I had a weird dream last night; I was with all my old mates at what looked like a ruined castle but there was a small train (the ones that pull kids around at the seaside) and a monkey sitting on my shoulder. I think that may have been something todo withmy friend Sticker being frequently assaulted by the 'stress monkey'.

Hi Inverurie---

Are there some things about your friend Sticker that you also indentify as being traits you see in yourself?

You may be chosing him as a descriptive focus because he does have something similar in his personality that you relate strongly to. He is a conscious projection that "embodies" some aspect of your own persona or psyche, so that is probably why you consciously chose him when relating the dream. If you can identify what it is about him that you most relate to, you may pick up on why he came to mind when describing the dream.

The "ruined castle" could be a metaphor for your ego's way of viewing your physical self....perhaps you feel tired right now or stressed, as you mention a "stress monkey." But that you see your body as a "castle" seems very positive. "A man's home is his castle," comes to mind, and the physical self is where we dwell, psychologically.

Animals are usually instincts, but humans see monkeys as slightly more than animals (like ones we keep as pets,) often they're regarded as almost human, so the monkey in this dream could also be a representative aspect of your psyche. You would have to define and describe what you feel a monkey to be, and then see if any of the description actually somehow also describes how you might see any situations concerning yourself right now. In other words, monkeys wouldn't represent instincts as much as they probably do a type of "homunculus" -- a small humanoid companion in the dream, which still is embodying some personality or situational traits.

I would guess that since you equate the small train with one that is found to entertain kids at the seaside, that this dream is broaching (cautiously) a subconscious issue (since the subconscious is usually some body of water in dreams,) and the the train, is a means of (transportation) delving further into the issue & into the subconscious. It may be a situation that developed in childhood, since the train is for kids, not adults.

This may be the link between your identification with Sticker. Did you both share a common background as you grew up?

You have your other '"old mates" with you. This also seems the dream is directing your attention to an issue that is either long standing and always with you (although you wish it would go away,--- the monkey on the shoulder is very close to the saying "monkey on my back,") or jusy something that has cropped up that reminds you of something from your past. :)

-Sudi

I can see where most of that would come from, right now. Ta.

Fallen Angel had this dream:

I had the most bizzare dream last night. I was at work, only the people in the dream were not my co-workers IRL. And we didn't work in a building, we were on a beach. Strewn on the beach was a mish-mash of people's posessions, some of which were mine, and the tide was coming in. I grabbed the things that were mine to rescue them from the water, and it turned out all my stuff was pairs of shoes! Mostly dressy shoes, too.

At any rate, there was some important thing to do, and no one wanted to do it (what needed to be done is now unclear to me, altho in the dream I knew what it was). Finally I sort of threw up my hands and said "Fine, I'll do it!" To accomplish the task I needed directions from my boss. He was in a small wooden boat, sort of a flat bottomed boat like old ferrys used to be build. The boat was out in the water and I had to swim out to him to talk to him. There was a lot of stuff in the water, and once I reached the boat, I realized that the stuff in the water was a lot of dead bodies. The water was very clear, a pretty aquamarine blue, with fully clothed bodies floating on the water or just under the surface. I wanted to get out of the water then, but my boss would not let me get into the boat. There were other people in the boat but either not enough room for another, or some other excuse. I was told I needed to get back to shore and start working on this task.

I don't think the dream was over but the alarm went off then.

-----------------------------------
(NOTE: I'm just using "you" in the general sense (mostly) when I write, these things would be what would apply to most everyone's dreams in the Interps. :)
--------------------------
The first two things I notice about this dream is that you are dealing with clothing and water.

I just mentioned to Spooky Angel had that shoes are especially interesting in dreams since even in waking life, people seem to attach a lot of significance to the types & styles of shoes someone wears. (I don't recall if there's a good theory about this that I've read, though.) If you think about it, there are most likely some shoes you know you just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing. (I don't mean that the size wouldn't work, but some styles would be too alien to your idea of who you are, that you wouldn't feel comfortable in them at all. For instance, if you're the rugged outdoorsy type, you probably would hate projecting to others how you view yourself by wearing some fru-fru flimsy slip-ons.)

Even in dreams, shoes tend to be a fairly straightforward illustration of how you believe others see the persona that you allow them to know. In other words you (consciously and subconsciously,) project a personality to the world that you think gives you the greatest leverage in dealing with things, and filter out those elements in your personality that your ego doesn't like you to harbor. One means of this projection is done through clothing, both waking and sleeping. It seems that the emotional attachment to clothes is so closely aligned with how we want others to see and relate to us, that there is a very slim margin between the clothing's psychological function while waking or sleeping. (Often in dreams, when you are feeling extraordinarily out of place in the dream environment, you'll be without shoes. In more extreme dreams wherein someone is processing identity in relation to a current dilemma, they will be au naturel :p Both cases make the dreamer aware of their inabilty to comfortably fit into the environment...although usually the other dream characters don't even notice. Those types of dreams truly acknowledge a delimma about the personality we wish to present to the world.)

So shoes in dreams are there to represent a facsimile of how you see yourself. Or in this dream, I believe the dressy shoes might be an aspect that you would like to incorporate into your consciousness, since they are in danger of being swept into the watery subconscious, but you have saved them from submersion.

Since the shoes you gather are not submerged, I would think that this particular (current?) question about how you feel about "fitting in" is out in the open. You may have just met someone new and you are wondering if they saw you for who you are, & as you see yourself, and have spent some time & energy contemplating the event.

There is also a task to be done, and you finally say you will do it. But you need some direction from your "boss" who is out on the water. I'm almost sure that the boss in the boat is your animus, and when women bring him into the dream, they are looking for stamina and energy.

To get to your boss/animus you must, however swim across this really beautiful water. So you dream does eventually force you into your subconscious to see some of the things stored there. The water is also clear. Many times, a body of water will be murky, with no visiblity. That usually means the dreamer is aware, on a very low level, that something's bugging them that they need to dredge up and confront, but this is not the case here.
You can plainly see these clothed bodies. They are probably representative of some recently cast-off aspects of your persona, aspects that you have had to consciously suppress, in order to "fit into" a new situation, maybe. (Have you had to recently start wearing a different type of clothing...something that you wouldn't usually pick to wear, if you had a choice? Sort of like if you had to start a new job and conform to a company's dress code, probably more strict than you would like?)

My guess is that you are really aware that there is a current problem or issue you need to resolve and may just not have the time or energy to deal with it, and are putting it off. That would be why, the bodies, (the issues,) are visible and not obscurred. They have not been relegated to the depths of the subconscious. (Stored, as it were. Or if this is an old issue, your subconscious would like you pay attention to it now, and has "floated" it/them into your view, and placed the issues in some very eye-catching colorfully hued water, so you don't miss them. The tide is coming in, but you do make an effort to not have the shoes (or that aspect of your persona,) submerged, either.

The botom line on all that rambling being:

Recently it might be that you have been placed in the position of meeting some new people, you may feel that it is taking some "work" to get them to see you the way you see yourself, for who you really are...and it takes a lot of energy.

The dead bodies in the water sounds gruesome and may have been frightening when looking at the dream from dayside while awake, but they are most likely just symbolic of the fact that you have had to suppress some pieces of yourself for a while and it will take some work and energy to bring them, (and you,) back together. The dead bodies coud also be representative of the end of an old way of life and the taking on of a new mantle. One which now involves more formality than previously, hence you rescuing the "dressy' shoes. In other words you are "working" to incorporate the idea of a more conservative (dressy) aspect of your personality into your conscious recognition of yourself :)

-Sudi

(I don't know what to say about the flat bottomed boat right now, but I think it must be significant since you described it such detail. I will will stew it over tonight and if anything pops up, I will post it tomorrow....)

When did Fallen Angel have this dream? I find it interesting that it's discussed here while the world is experiencing the biggest tides for 30 years, so tides have been discussed on the news recently. There were quite a lot of people here down at the waterfront last night watching the tide come in.

Ferries are often flat bottomed because they have to ground on either bank of a river, like the King Harry Ferry up the River Fal, which is a tidal river.

But the boat is described as small, which reminds me of the punts used on rivers, especially by students at Oxford and Cambridge. There are also punts used in tidal marshland for shooting ducks - once these gun punts had a huge shotgun fixed in the boat - the gun was aimed by turning the whole boat!

Does any of this fit in with FA's real-life experiences?

Back