• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

I have dreamt this dream every couple of years since I was a teen. See what you make of this....

The dream begins with me on the phone...I'm speaking to someone who is urging me to hurry and come along..I pack up everything I own and start walking ...I walk through many different terrains, deserts, snow, grassy fields, cities, small towns, and mountains. It seems as if I have been walking for years. (I see no people in this dream) After what seems like a long time I begin a short uphill climb on a gravel road surrounded by a meadow filled with butterflies and goldenrod. At the top of this small hill is a red watermill in a small stream. The relief I feel at getting there is incredible..I know I've finally gotten to where I need to be and the good feeling from this dream stays with me all throughout the following day.

I wish I had it more often......

Sudi - Your interpretation was amazing - I got shivers reading it, it was so "close to the bone" if you know what I mean.

sudi said:
I am going to take a guess that the new room you've been offered is perhaps in a price range that somehow compromises your sense of integrity. Maybe it is being offered at a lower price than you think it's worth and you believe that you will be expected to compensate for this "favor" in other ways. It could be that on the surface the offer seems fine, but you are, nonetheless, feeling that you will somehow be given the short end of the deal in the long run.

It is definitely cheap, yes, and even the deposit is cheap. I am of the ilk that does get suspicious of these things, and it does seem too good to be true.
My biggest fear is that I will not live up to the expectations of the people I will be living with. I think they are looking for someone way more sociable than me, and I fear that when I dissapear into my room to go online and do all the little solitary things I like to do, they will be dissapointed.
I can see them getting fed up with asking me to join in, even though I do sometimes, and give up in the end, and refer to me as the miserable housemate or something.

sudi said:
So. Even though the offer may appear too good to refuse...it has created a dilemma. Hence your attempt to keep all the negative "issues" concerning this out of your consciousness. (These would be the intruders in the dream that you are trying to lock out of your "ideal place." The "ideal place" being another representation of your "house" or persona.) But they have forced their way in in your dream anyway, which is an effort on your subconscious' part to get you to handle this issue now, no matter how you wish you didn't have to at this point in time. There is an immediacy to the dilemma.

Dilemma is the exact word I used last night when I found out they wanted me. My brain has been totally avoiding the issue all day. I tried to think about it on the train, writing a list of pros and cons again, but I just couldn't focus. I have to decide right now, and let them know if my decision is to not take it, as is only fair.

sudi said:
Your next step is to try to shout at the dream people, (your subconscious is really shouting at your conscious,) that the ideal place is "not for sale." This could be another way of your subconscious saying that you feel that you cannot be "bought." Shouting sometimes means that your subconscious really wants you to pay special attention to what it is that you're shouting.

Yes - there is a little voice in my head going "doubt! I am having doubt! Gut feeling here! Obey your gut!". I'll explain below why I am just as head-fskced about it tonight as I was last night.

sudi said:
The time you have chosen in the dream (11:00,) might be significant, also. Did you experience any housing or moving dilemmas when you were 11 years old? Sometimes the numbers in dream will indicate another time period or age when a parallel issue popped up. Or maybe something happened 11 years ago that was similar.

You might feel like you have discussed this too much with some friends(s) since there are intruders in the dream examining your personal belongings, which can be representations of your inner self. The dream people are also looking at your diary; it could be that you are subconsciously feeling overexpposed or vulnerable right now because of frank discussions with your friend, IRL.

Or, these nosy dream folks could just be parts of your own psyche weighing the issues (the plusses and minuses,) of the potential move, and they are looking at the things that you don't feel like defining or seeing clearly right now. Can you remember any articles that the intruders are looking at specifically? This might give you a clue as to some individual thing that you need to confront in order to make a comfortable decision.

The time thing doesn't ring any bells, but the friends thing does. Everyone I know thinks I should go ahead with it. Yesterday I had a discussion with a friend I have strong feelings for and he was rather patronising about my thinking nobody wanted me (this is before I found out I got it), and psychoanalysed me in a rather offhanded way. Also a colleague intimated that this is just like me to get in a stress, which was annoying because I really don't think he knows me that well.
The objects they were looking at were my bed, and some bowls of gelatinous stuff next to it, like fish bowls, kind of alien looking. I have no idea what they were.

sudi said:
Your choice of a small dog in the dream, while also describing yourself as a "scaredy cat," could indicate that your subconscious doesn't really want to subdue your initial instinct (the scaredy cat,) very much, or it would have selected a more intimidating dog. I think your subconscious wishes you to pay attention to your very first gut reactions to this dilemma, whatever they may have been.

(Many people find small barking dogs very bothersome, so this lap dog, as representative of your instinctive reaction to this offer, could also be a very attention getting animal...depending on how you feel about that breed of barking dog IRL.)

My fault for being unclear here - the noise I was making when I woke up just reminded me of the dog, it wasn't in the dream.
Something else of interest though might be that this "ideal flat" has featured in my dreams before, and it's had people invading it before. I only just remembered this. It's a big flat and it's gorgeous, open plan. Really large room with a really large open outside terrace. Also it has had a secret room in it before, which is also huge, and has leather seating round the outside and leather wallpanelling (not my style!) and is basically an abandoned music studio or something. It's gorgeous anyway, and in the last dream I had it got snapped up by someone else, a so called "friend" of mine who didn't consider my feelings but just said she was having it.

Oh god I'm remember loads of dreams about houses, hidden rooms and people invasions now!!!

Thank you so much for your interpretation. I am going to have to think long and hard about things, even though I have little time to do so.
What's so annoying, as I said above, is that everyone says I should do it - move. Then I convince myself for a while and get all excited, but the nagging doubt is still there. It is just me being nervous after past problems with living with people, or do these "gut feelings" have a grounding in some reality which my mind is refusing to accept.
If I turn it down, I will never know if I made the right decision. If I move in and it all goes wrong, yes - I can just come back home, but undoubtably it will be a big blow to my self esteem, which isn't exactly healthy as it is.
Am I thinking about this too much??!!
Should I just take the risk... I'm always saying life's too short to hold back.

I really don't know what to do. Anyone got a coin? ;)

Sudi - once again thank you. This has been invaluable, and given me a lot to think about.

Pinkle

Sounds corny but I usually get a feel about places. They either have a "right" feel about them or not. How did this place feel to you, Pinkle? I'd go by gut instinct in this case.
If you are travelling that far every day as it is, surely you could just take this place, and then if it turns out not to be right, then you can look elsewhere. Lord knows I did my share of that in Worcester. :err:

Angel - you're right. The feeling I had was like exhaustion. I saw the room and felt really tired. It's not big enough. But will anything ever be good enough?
Are my expectations too big?

I might have exaggerated my commute. In the morning I can get on the train at 8 and get into work around nine. In the evening I usally get in at half 7 (finish at 6).
I have it so bloody easy here, it's ideal apart from the commute.

I could suck it and see, so to speak, but I don't think I'm strong enough anymore. Other people's emotions rely on it all.
I don't want to muck them around.

Sorry - I didn't want to turn this thread into another "pinkle's neuroses" thread. Back to the fascinating dreams!

pinkle

No need to apologise, your dream showed how much this is occupying your thoughts, so those thoughts are important enough for any thread. :)
Go for it I say. Even without exaggerating the commute, it's still easier to live close by.

Dashwood asks:

Assuming that it is virtually impossible for someone to accurately interpret their own dreams... What purpose or value do their uninterpreted dreams have ? Can the conscious mind still benefit from a seemingly chaotic dream, which it may remember and even write down or share with others, but may not exactly understand ?

-----------------

(I'm sure everyone can tell, but I should probably reiterate that I have no formal training in psychology and have never formally studied Jungian dream theories; I am just relying on my own curious delvings into Carl Jung's studies.)

I think if we had to react and process every twinge of emotion and every moment of our interaction with others we wouldn't get anything accomplished.

In primal eras, the things that needed to get done were very basic and, of course, crucial to our survival; food gathering, maintaining shelter, etc. If we had paused to settle every percieved dispute or wound to our psyche, then we would have killed each other off long ago and we wouldn't be wondering about this stuff today.

So I think that developing a "place" to store primary emotional reactions was necessary to the species' survival.

If we "lose" any experience, though, the species also loses a chance to evolve, so the psyche retains the information you have experienced, whether you are aware of it on a conscious level or not. (For example, learning that fire is hot and will burn you is a very conscious lesson learned at some point in everyone's life. If you had to re-learn that you might kill yourself by jumping into a fire every time you walked by one, you'd not be around to pass along the wisdom of your experience. Emotional "fires" are much more individualized and will not be as simply defined as to how they may create an obstacle to your psychological survival.)

Unfortunately, the fearsome or annoying psychological experiences that we avoid are the very things that we didn't define to begin with. (It goes back to survival; we had to move on and NOT react and NOT process them in order not to club each annoyance to death.) They get filed away in the subconscious with no name tags attached...unlike what we would do with an experience like "fire=pain." Fire creates a physical feeling; emotions create a psychological feeling. You have to verbalize a psychological feeling, especially to get someone else (and yourself,) to understand what it is you're experiencing. (However, to "describe" fire, you could easily hold a match under someone else's foot, and you both would then understand, in exactly the same terms, what the "feeling" of fire is.)

Therefore, being undefined & undescribed in conscious terms (IE linguistically,) suppressed issues have no markers which enable us to decipher them when they occur in dreams. In other words they have been filed into a system with no consciously accessable retrieval formatting. Our psyches revert to a common language, one which is universal, that of pictures and symbols. And in this way attempts to gain your conscious recognition of the issue you have had to avoid or are attempting to avoid acknowledging; through visions in dreams.

But I've managed to write around your question...that being of what use are dreams if you can't decipher them yourself?

And frankly I don't know.

I could conjecture that any type of recognition, such as consistently writing them down, mulling them over, etc, is beneficial. But who knows? I'm sure that some people are able to decipher their own dreams very well. I just know I don't seem to be able to.

My theory is we are so enmeshed in the supression of the issue, that we are unable to recognize the hidden symbols since the original purpose of the suppression was to avoid the issue. Just as a brain cannot feel its own pain. You would have to have another brain to interpret the feelings in the first brain as being painful...and so on and on.

The keys to our subconscious symbols are so well chosen because our subconscious knows best how to cushion us from ourselves.

-Sudi

(Ye Ancient Bloweharde)

Firstly, thankyou Sudi for your reply to my last post.

Secondly, would you be willing to have a bash at interpreting a dream I had just last night ?

I was looking at myself - not in a mirror but actually looking at myself from a third person P.O.V - I could only see my head and my upper torso and nothing of my surroundings, which was just darkness. My hair was long (slightly longer than shoulder-length). I do not have long hair and was quite surprised at this discovery. As I watched myself brushing and examining my hair, I tried to work out whether or not I liked having long hair and said aloud to someone (I don't know who), "Look at this. My hair's never been this long"

Marion Says:

... perhaps sudi could correct me if I'm wrong ?
---------------------------------

Gosh! ......

Far be it from me to correct anyone else; being one who is lucky to remember what they went downstairs to get and who usually manages to hit their head on a cabinet door or a concrete abuttment at least once a day is in no position to correct any offerings in this thread!

(Actually, I try to wait until somone asks me to "do" a dream for them so that my windyness doesn't end up inadvertantly dominating the thread. And I don't want to assume that every post wants my opinion, for that matter....)

It's much better to have a forum/round table in the interpretations...it gives a much better cross section of interpretive possibilities, I think.

(But thanks for the politeness factor, I'm not used to that where I live... :) ;)

-Sudi
late for algebra.

Yes, algebra

I was just worried I might be talking bullshit thats all LOL .
Perhaps Ill post one of my dreams to bore you all sometime!

Thanks Marion for that interpretation. I assumed that the monster was letting its eyes lead the way, so in theory they would reach us first, not their owner.

I'm more than happy to let anyone have a bash at the dream, Sudi, anyone! Its always interesting to hear other's insights. :)

IRL my hair is white/grey, and currently cut short. But I had a dream the other night where I looked in a mirror and saw I had thick black hair (with just a few slight streaks of grey), in a Beatles mop-top style! It was quite a surprise!

Maybe I was just remembering myself as I once was, but another idea occured to me: my bad knee, which had been getting progressively worse, seems to have gone into remission in the last couple of months, giving me very little trouble. Perhaps this has tripped off a fantasy that I'm growing younger...? :cool:

Last night I dreamed I saw some people outside the house throwing a ball around. Suddenly the ball was indoors, at my feet. There were no windows open, and anyhow I'd have heard it if it had come in a window, so I was quite shocked, thinking that the thing must has teleported there!

Then I realised I was dreaming, and woke up!

I have been having increasingly stupid dreams.

Last week I dreamt that a friend went to a party dressed in an outfit he had made entirely from his girlfriends knickers. 8 pairs of black down the right side and 8 pairs of white down the right.
:confused:

I wonder what that means? I have a dream dictionary but strangely enough it doesn't have this in there.:rolleyes:

Hex Kitten said:
Last week I dreamt that a friend went to a party dressed in an outfit he had made entirely from his girlfriends knickers. 8 pairs of black down the right side and 8 pairs of white down the right.
:confused:

"Clothing generally represent our worldly appearance or status. At times, it may represent our attitudes toward ourselves and others. Mostly, it represent the way that we appear to the world. Clothes are not symbolic of our private self, but rather of our public self. ... The type of clothing that we wear varies from situation to situation. The type of clothes that you are wearing in the dream will give you clues to the meaning of the dream and to your unconscious ideas about yourself and others."

". The physical look of the pants, who is wearing them, and the emotional content of the dream will give you clues to its meaning. If your were trying to cover up your genitalia, then the dream may be bringing up sexual issues."

So maybe how this guy appears to you (his public persona) is very overtly ("black-and-white") wrapped up in his sexual relationship with his girlfriend? Maybe this bothers you?

Anyone else have a conflicting interpretation?

I had a horrible dream Friday night where i was told that I only had three days to live, and would die on Monday. The rest of the dream was about me trying to explain to my family. Only they weren't my family, they were completely different people, yet I referred to them as Mum, Dad, whatever.
I ended up having to beg them to let me stay with them on the Sunday night so that I wouldn't be alone when I died on the monday.
Altogether very disturbing, upsetting and depressing.

Made even more strange by the fact that I watched the Simpsons for the first time in at least a month last night and it was the episode where homer tries to make peace with the world because he thinks he only has 24 hours to live! :)

The Simpsons obviously inspired the dream. When I have really odd, disturbing dreams, I can, after thinking about it, usually associate them in some way with something I saw on TV, read, or saw on the internet.
It's kind of comforting to realise your brain is just stealing ideas, especially when you have had what seemed like premonitions in the past.

Adrian Veidt tells Us:

I had a horrible dream Friday night where i was told that I only had three days to live, and would die on Monday. The rest of the dream was about me trying to explain to my family. Only they weren't my family, they were completely different people, yet I referred to them as Mum, Dad, whatever.
I ended up having to beg them to let me stay with them on the Sunday night so that I wouldn't be alone when I died on the monday.
Altogether very disturbing, upsetting and depressing.

-------------------

Here I am again with more of my own special brew of hogswollop.

But this dream seemed to be really fairly exact in its nature.

The "death" you were about to experience was most likely the end of a project or era that you knew you would be facing soon. The "parents" are parts of your archetypical personas that you wish to keep as a part of your personality, after you undergo this transformation. (New Job? New spouse? Something like that?) In other words your main fear might concern having a function to go through which you fear might somehow alter you essentially, especially as far as how you see yourself as a person.

BUT! It also seems like you were going to BEGIN a new episode in your life. That the dream created some anxiety, might mean that the change is faced with some hesitancy and fear. (Some people deal with change as excitement and actually get a buzz off of the transition or the unknown, others, deal with change with anxiety and a little fear mixed in. I am somewhat of the latter, myself.)

Anyway, I think the dream's use of the trilogy, or trinity, (mostly known in Christianity for the Resurrection, but can be found in mythologies all over the world,) seems to also reveal tha you DO expect a "rebirth" of sorts after he challenging end of a present form of living. And that you know that it will be a "new life."

Sounds like a good dream, to me .

-Sudi

:D

Glad to see you back, Sudi. I love reading your interpretations. :)

Hi, Spooky!

Thanks for your very kind salutation!

I wish I had more time to hang out over here.

But I started my math classes again and I am sooo horrible with the slippery numbers that it takes almost all my spare time. (I'm up to Trigonometry now. Still high school stuff, but pretty good for me. Two years ago I couldn't have told you that you'd get a decimal from dividing the numerator of a fraction by its denominator. Embarrassing but oh so true. :madeyes:

Talk to you later, I hope all is well for you and everybody here at Fort Towers.

(You guys write such hilarious, witty and astute things, I often lurk but don't post.)

-Sudi :D

Sudi, I respect your amazing ability to interpret these things, but do you not think that the Simpsons ep Ade saw could have inspired the dream just a little?
I mean as well as what you said, maybe the Simpsons sort of set the back-plot.

I'm having rotten nightmares lately. Something crappy happened to me at the begining of the week, that probably didn't help.

The worst part of the last dream, phrasing this as nicely as possible, was when I accidentaly found myself seemingly showing sexual willingness to a bloke I despise, and him rejecting me as I realise he's there. (I wasn't wearing much)
This bloke makes me sick. And the feeling that he thinks I was after him makes me sick.
bleeeeeuurghhh

The dream also involved me looking through the glass in the front door, and seeing a bloke who was possibly one of my brother's mates, and he was drunk or something, he was being scary and dragging himself around and making odd noises.
Anyway I told my parents to call the police. Then the guy was gone.

Lots more happened too.

As I can't see anything IRL that has inspired the above, I'd be really interested in what you think it means, Sudi.

I awoke this morning from a dream that I was out shopping in town when I realised that I had forgotten to put my jeans on and was parading around in huge, baggy school-type gym knickers!

I was very embarrassed and went searching for a market stall selling jog pants and was thankfully in sight of one when I woke up!

The explanation was rational. When the weather's cold I wear leggings under my jeans. Last night I left the leggings downstairs insread of putting them away and I think I was worrying subconsciously that I wouldn't remember where they were. But as dreams invert things, instead of Not wearing some TIGHT pants UNDER my jeans, I WAS wearing BAGGY pants WITHOUT the jeans!

Simple.

escargot said:
I awoke this morning from a dream that I was out shopping in town when I realised that I had forgotten to put my jeans on and was parading around in huge, baggy school-type gym knickers!
:madeyes:

Made my day there, O Snaily One!

Hahahha, sweet dreams, rynner!
I'm glad I didn't dream about the elastic situation.......

Pinkle points out:

... do you not think that the Simpsons ep Ade saw could have inspired the dream just a little?
I mean as well as what you said, maybe the Simpsons sort of set the back-

OOOOpppsss! When I read the post, I thought Adrian saw the Simpsons after he had the dream and was pointing it out because of its synchronicity!

But, yes, I agree totally with you, I think that seeing the show could influence the dream content.

(Then....you ask yourself, "Of all the things I've seen and experienced over the last few days, why did my subconscious pick that to use for dream fodder?")

-Sudi

P.S. I would love to try a dream translation for your dream....if I get to it later will that be OK? (Not too late so as to be irrelevant, that is?) The dreaded math homework... & now housework has piled up since the holidays have been over... :(

No worries Sudi! I'd love it if you could, whenever is good for you!

Over the weekend I had 2 alien abduction dreams.

The first I don't remember much just floating in a white light and big black oval eyes looking at me.

The second had David Duchovny parading around my house in his underwear which was great until an alien started trying to communicate telepathically with me by putting his hand on my arm, he kept telling me not to trust 'The Dark Man'. He was strange, he had a round face and shoulder length blonde hair, but it was just a mask and I knew that underneath he had those almond shaped eyes.

I didn't take this warning seriously and started to go after the lovely Mr D and then I was whisked away in a white light.

After that I woke up and went to the loo and I was going across the landing a huge white light came up the stairs. Scared me for a couple of minutes until I realised it was a lorry going past and it's lights had shone in through the glass in the front door.

My interpretation. Too much X Files...:p

I had a lovely dream last night in which my wife and I were fixing up an old house. (This is a recurring theme in my dreams--large, old and empty houses to explore and renovate.) It was large and dignified. Outside, I saw a big apple tree full of red apples. It was springtime. We looked at a little garden bed (it was round--almost like a well covering?), and noticed to our delight that beautiful salmon-pink pansy "volunteers" had sprung up. We hadn't planted them, but were delighted to see them. It seems they grew all around a model of a house that was in the flower bed, whatever that means. My parents were there, and were thrilled.

Inside, we were preparing our daughter's room (same as we're doing IRL). The room was small, and as I was peeling old stickers off the wall and mirror my dad told me that it "feels" bigger because of the closets (!).

Minor Drag said:
I had a lovely dream last night in which my wife and I were fixing up an old house. (This is a recurring theme in my dreams--large, old and empty houses to explore and renovate.) It was large and dignified. Outside, I saw a big apple tree full of red apples. It was springtime. We looked at a little garden bed (it was round--almost like a well covering?), and noticed to our delight that beautiful salmon-pink pansy "volunteers" had sprung up. We hadn't planted them, but were delighted to see them. It seems they grew all around a model of a house that was in the flower bed, whatever that means. My parents were there, and were thrilled.

Inside, we were preparing our daughter's room (same as we're doing IRL). The room was small, and as I was peeling old stickers off the wall and mirror my dad told me that it "feels" bigger because of the closets (!).

Minor, what a lovely wonderful dream! Did you want an interpretation or do you understand it yourself?

Fallen Angel said:
Minor, what a lovely wonderful dream! Did you want an interpretation or do you understand it yourself?

Well...both! :D

I so admire Sudi's talent, so I selfishly want that attention. Writing the dream down gave me real insight into it. I'll give my interpretation after Sudi gives hers, if that's something she'd like to do.

I don't often have such beautiful dreams, sadly. But this one was a winner.

I can interpret dreams, just not my own. :( Want me to give it a shot or wait for Sudi?

Back