• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

Try on this one from this morning. Oddest one in a while, and the first that sticks in my mind for ages...

In a poky little shoe shop, lunchtime, line behind me out the door of people trying to buy shoes in their lunch hour. 6 or 7 female assistants behind the counter, standing about looking bored, arms folded, yapping to each other and ignoring everyone in the line including me. All that is, except 2; one of whom is vacuuming (ineffectually: the edges of the shop are filthy), and one of whom is actually >gasp!< serving customers ...but only those that she knows personally (pulling them out of the line and ignoring the protests from everyone else including me).

Finally get the attention of an assistant and show her the hideous giraffe-skin-patterned winkle-pickers (for the benefit of any Colonials reading this: like Beatle-boots without the cuban heel) I was wearing (black-brown splotches on French's mustard-yellow background) and asking if they have winkle-pickers in plain black. "No." she says, and moves on to the next customer. I move in front of her and ask if she's sure, and she tells me I'll have to hold on, at which point I discover we're no longer in a shoe shop, but standing room only inside a moving single-decker bus.

I don't want to go where the bus is going, so I get off, finding myself in a town I recognize vaguely but can't put a name to. Lots of white buildings and all very spread out over a series of hills. There's a museum nearbye, I know somehow, where an elderly man sells old books from cardboard boxes lined up on trestle tables on either side of the room (I get a brief mental picture of the old guy selling his books in a dimly-lit anteroom), and I decide I want to see what he has to sell.

However, finding the entrance to the museum involves crossing a footbridge and then doubling back down some back streets, and once I've crossed the footbridge I realise I've mislaid my coat somewhere, and there's a definite nip in the air, so I just want to go home. So I start walking up the main street that was on the other side of the footbridge feeling vaguely worried that the old bookseller might have my coat. At which point -so far as I can be certain, the period between sleep and wakefulness being so vague for me- I woke up.

Sudi, thanks again. This was another accurate interpretation. Kudos. I sometimes find that my subconscious makes the most obvious, awful puns in dreams, and in this one, after I read your interpretation, I saw it in this one : "the tides were turning" Oy! Yes in my life the tides are turning...and yes I'm restructuring much of my life, post-divorce. And have a new friend, etc. And yes I have things that are "just gruesome" to have to deal with but I gotta.

Wow, you are so good, it makes it seem so obvious.

Rynner, I had this dream a few weeks ago, so it's likely just coincidence that the tides IRL are record levels. But this fact may have seeped into my dreams, because last night I dreamed of a tsunami hitting the California coast near my home, and barely making it up to the hills to be out of the water's reach.

Don't know much about boats at all, only that ferry boats are flat bottomed and square.

But it now occurs to me that you take a ferry to get somewhere but I could not get on the boat until the task (whatever it was) was complete.

A bit of a nudge from my conscience all the way around, I guess.

Two more mildly precognitive dreams:

On Friday night, John Lennon featured in my dream. On Saturday morning I went into a shop with my sons and the first thing I saw was a John Lennon Yellow Submarine figure.

Last night I dreamt there were a lot of dolphins, whales and seals washed up on a beach somewhere, they were towed back into the sea by a number of people and one of the dolphins swam close to me, brushing past my legs. This morning I read the story in the paper about the dolphin which held up the ferry at (Poole?), enabling a criminal to be captured.

I'll have to try to improve my technique then maybe I can predict the lottery numbers!:)

Carole

I had a very different sort of dream last night, and not different in a good way.
I dreamt that I was rushing to catch a train and was trying to get down a flight of steps, but there was an old man behind me complaining, saying I was holding him up. I remember thinking, "How can I be holding him up when he's crawling along and I'm racing?".
When I got the platform, I found I had plenty time because there was another train arriving before mine. (The old man got on this one.)
When I looked up the platform there was a figure in black standing watching. I couldn't make out a face because this person was in silhouette although it was the middle of the day. They were holding something in their hand, maybe a spear? pitchfork? Not sure. I tried to pretend I didn't see this person as no one else seemed to notice, but then the figure turned, and as the sun caught him, I saw it looked like a man in ordinary clothes walking away (not black). I tried to tell myself that it was the man all along, but a part of me seemed to think this "person" had changed into an ordinary person.
My train arrived and I got on, searching for seat but eventually finding one.
Very strange. It makes me wonder what I dreamed the other night when I woke up in a sweat. Whatever that was I didn't remember it.

I don't remember my dreams very often but I had one last night that was fairly vivid.

I was sitting at a small round table outside a shop with a couple of other people. One of them, a woman, had a share certificate which she'd stood up on its folds on the table. She left and I was surreptitiously looking at the certificate (I'm a compulsive reader). I was shocked to see my name on the certificate along with the year of birth 1937 which was significant to me because the 37 could be swapped around to read 73 which is my birth year. There seemed to be other coincidences on the form which I can't recall. The only thing that was out of place was the month of birth, it being August and not January. It would later occur to me that this kind of information would not be present on a share certificate so why did I identify it as one?

Anyway, the woman returned and I told her about the strange coincidences. After some discussion it was decided that the only true coincidences were the name and the transposable birth year. The woman also looked nothing like me and didn't look like she'd been born in 1937.

That's it. :snore: You can wake up now, I know it was boring.
Perhaps the dream was telling me that I've been making too much of minor things lately.

Off-thread, has anyone noticed that this smilie :rolleyes: is now green?

This is a bizarre one as it seemed very clear, lengthy and detailed. There was a second half to it which is probably a bit too racey for here, and I think I know what it means anyway(!)

Here goes:

I, for some reason, had arranged to have dinner with the Godfather of Soul, James Brown. We sat down inside a restaurant that was on a boardwalk and started to talk. He was a little intimidating, he seemed on edge and was ready to blow up at the slightest provocation. At one point a blind man was walking in towards another table – James spotted him, and yelled “Quiet!” at the top of his voice, twice, at everyone in the restaurant, who was until the man reached the table. I get the impression Brown did this so he could “hear” his way to the table(?)
Dinner arrived, which was a huge plate piled high with layers of what looked like salmon and salad. I took my first forkful then paused as James Brown said “I hope you like armadillo.” I remembered him ordering it (though it didn't register when he did), so I knew he wasn’t joking. I tried a mouthful, and said it was okay (tasted like fish!) but as soon as I said I liked it I was hit by a nasty aftertaste.
Anyway, dinner came to an end and James shook my hand and starting talking in some groovy rhyming couplets, none of which I understood, but seemed to be sexual innuendos and advice about how to treat a lady right, then we parted. He didn’t seem particularly sincere about enjoying my company.

I also recall some fragments about killer robots and a lightsabre duel, with me being an ineffective Darth Maul, but don’t remember much about it.

Sudi, do your stuff!

Sudi what is the significance of your state of dress or rather undress? I often have dreams whereI'm wearing a short white dress rather like a shift there is no-one around but I'm looking for someone I have to run from cover to cover pulling the dress down to cover my modesty. However I also have dreams where I'm stark naked there are lots of people around some people notice how I'm undressed and some don't, neither reaction bothers me in the dream.

Fascinating thread, although I do feel (a little voyeuristically) like I’m wandering around inside other people’s unconscious (I’ll try not to leave muddy footprints).
A lot of people have said that they rarely remember their dreams. Somebody mentioned dream diaries and keeping journal can be a very effective way of dramatically improving not only your ability to recall dreams but it can also make you much more aware whilst dreaming (it’s one of the standard tools recommended for people trying to lucid dream). Apologies if I’m trying to teach you all to suck eggs BTW.
I had an odd experience recently while experimenting with lucid dreaming. In short I realise I was dreaming and tried to “think” myself to the Lake District (an English national park for anyone unfamiliar with UK geography). The dream immediately broke down and everything went black. The whole thing was disturbingly reminiscent of a PC screen getting all jumbled before being replaced by a blank blue screen when Windows spits the dummy out (ohmygod, I AM living in the “matrix”, anyone got Keanu Reeves phone No.?)
Also does anyone ever dream when they’re awake? I frequently find myself realising that I’m awake (I can hear “real world” sound, traffic, the milkman arriving etc.) but I carry on dreaming. Bizarrely although I realise I’m awake I’m usually not aware that I’m still dreaming until I’m fully awake.

StoneMunky said:
Also does anyone ever dream when they’re awake? I frequently find myself realising that I’m awake (I can hear “real world” sound, traffic, the milkman arriving etc.) but I carry on dreaming. Bizarrely although I realise I’m awake I’m usually not aware that I’m still dreaming until I’m fully awake.
I do that too. It's usually in the morning, but sometimes happens when I'm going to sleep too.

I just had a horrid nightmare, that it was my fault that a baby died.
The dream was illogical, none of it made sense and it chopped and changed it's storyline but the emotions were real enough. I've got a thumping headache now!

Basically the dream revolved around me not following my sense/instinct on something - this is something I worry about a lot in real life. In the past I have ignored my instincts and when everything's gone wrong I've felt it was my fault, and tortured myself.
Oooh I just remembered another bit - I went to confess and it turned out it couldn't have been my fault, and the people involved said I'd never been put in charge of the baby. Just as I was feeling relieved, they all turned to demons and started doing horrid things to me!!!

Also involved was a bit where I screwed up all my other responsibilities (like cutting off my nose to spite my face) and shouted nasty things at people I lived with.

Oh what a nasty dream. Very glad to be awake.

Not expecting any interpretation here, I think I know what it's about! This is kind of like therapy for me, talking about it!

pinkle

cheers. The longer I'm awake the less it's bothering me! Having a nice cup of tea now.
:likee:

Dark Detective Patiently Waited for me to get back to his Dream :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I, for some reason, had arranged to have dinner with the Godfather of Soul, James Brown. We sat down inside a restaurant that was on a boardwalk and started to talk. He was a little intimidating, he seemed on edge and was ready to blow up at the slightest provocation. At one point a blind man was walking in towards another table – James spotted him, and yelled “Quiet!” at the top of his voice, twice, at everyone in the restaurant, who was until the man reached the table. I get the impression Brown did this so he could “hear” his way to the table(?)
Dinner arrived, which was a huge plate piled high with layers of what looked like salmon and salad. I took my first forkful then paused as James Brown said “I hope you like armadillo.” I remembered him ordering it (though it didn't register when he did), so I knew he wasn’t joking. I tried a mouthful, and said it was okay (tasted like fish!) but as soon as I said I liked it I was hit by a nasty aftertaste.
Anyway, dinner came to an end and James shook my hand and starting talking in some groovy rhyming couplets, none of which I understood, but seemed to be sexual innuendos and advice about how to treat a lady right, then we parted. He didn’t seem particularly sincere about enjoying my company.

I also recall some fragments about killer robots and a lightsabre duel, with me being an ineffective Darth Maul, but don’t remember much about it.

---------------------------------------

This dream probably occurred whjen you were undergoing some type of self-evaluation, I would guess. Probably about a one-time incident in which you may have been wondering if you did the right thing and have been trying to convince yourself that you did.

(I know, I know, it could be said that we are always undergoing some form of self-analysis. But this dream includes several major activities that point to Dark Detective's investigation of his methods of acting on a situation in the way that he did at the time the dream occured.)

It appears that D.D. may have recently (well, recently according to when D.D. had the dream,) reacted to a situation in an manner that D.D. felt very comfortable with consciously, but which caused his super-consciousness to critically evaluate in a somewhat chastising tone.

The first important element, of course, is that your subconscious picked out James Brown as a dream companion. Any dream characters are really just aspects of your own psyche. Someone that you project some characteristic (or opposite characteristic,) of yourself onto. To get a really accurate interpretation of the "James Brown" dream companion, you, D.D., would have to describe him as you see him, and what you think about him. You could then probably start seeing that the adjectives that you have used to describe "James", you would also apply to yourself, or some characteristic that you may harbor and reject.

If it were my dream, I would say that choosing the "Godfather of Soul" was significant in it's nomenclature. Your super-ego may be trying to tell your ego that you need to oversee some spiritual or even ethical dilemma in which you find yourself.

You are seated at a restaurant near a boardwalk. This is near the seaside and water. You are on the edge of an unconscious issue, as water usually signifies the depths of the unconscious. This issue is most likely within your subconscious, but you haven't jumped into the subconscious (the water,) to drag it up yet.

(I should interject a note here about dream interpretation. When you begin to become more aware of your dreams and discussing them with someone else in this type of forum, any definitions that I/we agree on will be stored in your subconscious. I.E.: The symbology of water as the subconscious (a Jungian archetype,) will actually be remembered by your subconsciious and used as a communicative symbol in a dream when the subconscious feels it's appropriate. This is by no means a negative integration of symbolic language, it just illustrates that once you begin to investigate your dreams on a regular basis & in a consistent fashion, you will also begin to recognize the symbols that you (and your subconscious) have consciously agreed on to represent certain layers of your dreamworld's consciousness. In this case, I would bet you read another dream interpretation where a seaside was involved and it was mentioned that it was the subconscious' depiction of itself. What happens is a communication "loop" is established once you begin to do this regularly.) Anyway...we now return to our regularly scheduled program... :)

Being next to the seaside, but also in conjunction with a "Godfather", of "Soul," no less, would indicate to me that your superconsciousness is trying to get your attention about some occurance that you are avoiding and have buried in your subconscious, hence this restaurant's position next to the seaside on the boardwalk.

The blind man is another aspect of how you see this situation, or rather refuse to see this situation. James Brown seem's a "little intimidating, he seemed on edge and was ready to blow up at the slightest provocation."

Since you cast him in the role of the overseer of your conscience, "The Godfather," as it were, I would think that your superconscious is irritated with this nagging, unresolved issue and is now ready to get on with forcing you to consciously deal with it, hence the intimidating attitude that you felt in the dream. When your Godfather yelled "Quiet!", you got "the impression Brown did this so he {the blind man} could “hear” his way to the table."

This seems like your super-ego is really telling you that you must listen to it or you will not be able to "see" the issue clearly.

I am guessing that there may be some moral or ethical dilemma involved because of the spiritiual elements in the dream: "God", "Father", "Soul", and that you also end up eating what you think is fish...a symbol in Christian theology. That it is NOT actually fish, but "armadillo," could mean that what you think represents itself on a spiritual or "soulful" level is not what it appeared at first.

It also seems that your superconsciousness is agitated by this realization, because it (what you thought tasted like fish, that is,) left a "nasty aftertaste." The armadillo is a fascinating substitute for a soulful or spiritual dinner, but there is no "one" way this choice could be interpreted.

What do you think an armadillo is? This needs a detailed description on a personal level...you will find some reason you chose this animal to replace what you thought you were eating. If it were my dream, I would immediately think of the hard protective "armour" the animal sports and think that maybe it would be undigestible because of that. The "nasty aftertaste" might signify that "undigestible" conclusion as an underlying thought in your choice, also.

Armadillos are not usually on restaurant menus (that I know of, at least,) so you end up eating a non-food dish ( & also not the salmon it actually tasted like,) in a restaurant by the sea. That would be a sign that what you think you are dealing with openly, is really somewhat hidden or presents itself as one thing while actually being another. Perhaps the "blind" man is trying to tell you to look at things carefully. James (your superconscious,) yells for "quiet!' so you can "hear" at least, if not "see" your way.

Have you been doubting any spiritual issues lately? Has something occured that involves your view of "God" or your defintion of a religious matter? (Not necessarily one of a Christian* nature.) Maybe someone close to you is asking that you somehow re-evaluate your stand on organized religion. Or it could just be that you feel that you are blind to aspect of your own spirituality and your superconsciousness is trying to get you to "listen" to allow that "blind man" to be able to see.

(*I hesitate getting into too much religious speculation, as I do not think that every dream deals with a person's struggle with his/her place in the universe. But Jung felt that many dreams did just this. That no matter how you consciously describe your attitudes or belief system in a religious or spiritual manner, Jung felt an individul's subconscious will always have a connection to the Universe, via the Collective Unconscious. And since we all live and die, Jung thought that all of us [will usually] develop an idea, at some point, of what our place in the universe might be. Jung felt that that struggle at spiritual definition, (no matter how it manifests, whether through organized religion or even as agnosticism, ) would nevertheless be defined and dealt with on some level. And very often dealt with on a dream level when a spiritual dilemma arrived.)

The other conjecture I would make concerning the choice of an African American Icon of "Soul" to represent your superconsciousness, would be that you are probably a caucasion who sees issues of spiritual content 180 degrees away from your personal vision of your lifestyle. Hence your subconscious chooses a dream character the total opposite of yourself, even down to race. And maybe even nationality. Perhaps you are not American, either, making "The Godfather of Soul" even more of an opposite archetype. (Just as the gender of dream characters might be significant, racial selections can be meaningful, too.)

If you are African American, your intimidation by someone of similar racial background would indicate that you are closer to the issues represented by the "Godfather of Soul," but still rejecting them, hence the intimidating element you project onto James.

You do part on fairly good terms with the Godfather of Soul, and he even gives you some advice on how to treat "a lady right." Sexual innuendo could also be interpreted as creative energy, and if you are a man, the feminine is your creative side. This could mean thet the dream was about to deal with another issue entirely...and then you mention that you recall that another dreamscene (seems unrelated,) intervenes, with light sabers, etc.

If your ego felt like James wasn't particularly sincere about enjoying your company, I would guess that "his" insincerity was a reflection of your avoidance or "insincerity" in dealing with this issue, whatever it may be. (Remember you are the one harboring "James' " insincerity towards yourself!)

Think of John Lennon and "I Am The Walrus."

"I am he as you are me and we are all together," I think is how it goes.

At least in the dream world it does!

:)

-Sudi

Maybe so! :) Thanks, Sudi, that was great. It's almost like a psychological neck rub! I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this. :)
Well, as usual, plenty of food for thought in that, and I've had a look through my correspondence to try and remind myself of what was going on when I had the dream. And what you say does, again, make a lot of sense to me.
Without getting all open and personal here in public, "a one-time incident in which you may have been wondering if you did the right thing and have been trying to convince yourself that you did" is pretty much spot on, though let's say it wasn't entirely spiritual, more *cough* sexual. One thing I left out was that I also remembered a second dream that followed immediately afterwards, which was far more overtly sexual and therefore I left it out as inappropriate for the boards! Though the spiritual connotations are not wrong, for me on some level the two issues are intertwined, and the dream probably concerns reconciling my personal morality (somewhat spiritual) with that. With that minor amendment, your read makes total sense, and particularly impressive given that I left out the second part which would probably have given the game away!

James Brown I'd probably see more as an overtly cool, sexual kind of character rather than spiritual, with a reckless streak (his run in with the law .etc.) though I must say its an odd choice as I can probably think of other celebs who would represent that better. You're right in saying I'm neither African-American, or American, which is probably why. The blind man makes sense too. He was also African-American. I guess my mind is saying "don't make such a choice blindly, it's not like you" which again makes total sense. I should have lunch with my subconcious more often.

As for armadillo, I'm a little puzzled. I'm an adventurous eater so wouldn't be put off by learning something was that, but I clearly recall it just looked like a salmon fillet to me.

I'm intrigued about dreaming about celebrities, it's something I do from time to time. The other night I dreamed I was in a race with Andy Kauffman (innovative misunderstood 80's comic, died before his time, a tragic figure) and I've posted elsewhere about being Ringo Starr (least recognised of the Fab Four). Since you said these celebs are aspects of my own psyche, I think I now understand better what these dreams are about.

Overall, I think you've highlighted to me that this dream is about guilt and 'being true to oneself'.

Thank you!

Pinklefish very generously Suggested:

Sudi, you should charge for this!

------------------------------------------------------

How extraordinarily kind and flattering of you to think my blitherings are worth currency! :) :)

But part of the fun is the informality of the exchanges...and I'm not sure it would be fair to charge money for floating opinions bobbing about in a sea of conjecture....

(glub glub..!)

-Sudi
who thinks the dreamers are being kind and just not telling me how whacko & off base my "interpretations" really are!

But you've probably all guessed by now how I like to ramble on....

Dark Detective tells Us:

Overall, I think you've highlighted to me that this dream is about guilt and 'being true to oneself'.

Thank you!

You're more than welcome :)

-Sudi

P.S. Yes, you may notice that a lot of my interpretations don't include any sexual dilemmas, mainly because they veer into more Freudian stuff than I'm familiar with. Jung dealt mostly with sexuality as a creative attribute (creativity being the feminine aspect) and energetic attribute (energy being the masculine aspect.) So that even when a dream was overtly sexual it could also relate on a spiritual plane being that we all are enmeshed in the physical/spiritual realm via sexuality to some degree. (Creativity can be procreative or artistic...or just in creating a life with which we are comfortable. Which seems to jigsaw into your recognition in your posted dream about "'being true to oneself'. :)

Does anyone else find that talking about dreams at length provokes a spate of "interesting" dreams? I can be in a "dry" season, have an afternoon of dream-related natter and spend the next few nights riding giant squid, walking under a purple sky or eating bread-flavoured planets. It's great!

I agree with everyone, Sudi, you should have your own hotline!

Ok, no more sleeping during the day for me.
Just had this nightmare - I'm eating chicken, everybody gets killed, we paint the livingroom.

???

Orbyn Asks:

Does anyone else find that talking about dreams at length provokes a spate of "interesting" dreams?
---------------------

I've noticed a lot more vivid dreaming and even one or two (almost) lucid dreams since we started doing the dream interps here!

I've kept a dream journal (off and on,) for years and have also started to write them down again!

Thanks All!

-Sudi

OK....What does having bought an orange ceramic piece of pottery with four compartments, (the entire ceramic is about 6 X 12 inches)....and after I add water to each compartment, hundreds of little orange dragons start to grow and crawl about??? I have no luck interpreting my own bizarre sleep shows !!!

Sudi, Rudely Posting back To Sudi's own Post, Points Out That This Question:

OK....What does having bought an orange ceramic piece of pottery with four compartments, (the entire ceramic is about 6 X 12 inches)....and after I add water to each compartment, hundreds of little orange dragons start to grow and crawl about??? I have no luck interpreting my own bizarre sleep shows !!!

..was really a rhetorical question ... designed to show the futility of trying to interpret your own dreams...I have never been able to do it.

-Sudi Again

I did attend a "dream group" years ago. And it does help to have a regularly scheduled discussion with others who are interested in talking over their dreams....just because I think it is virtually impossible for the dreamer to see what their own subconscious is trying to tell them. We are too close to the hidden symbols that we ourselves have evolved in our own psychological lexicon. (It seems that way anyway.) A "dream group" also gets you doing what Orbyn pointed out, that talking and writing down your dreams creates a feedback system to your subconscious that makes you dream longer, more vivid dreams and you will remember more of them, too.

----------------------

Bonzo Dog Band Forever

Sudi,

I don't pretend to have the remarkable insight you have, but here goes:

It seems you're wanting to contain something(s)--an idea or feeling or potential action than can "get away from you", thus buying the ceramic container. By watering it, (rejuvenating/animating with creativity/emotion), it takes on a life of its own, manifested as little crawly dragons. I'm curious what your reaction to the dragons is--horror? revulsion? amusement? That would be most telling. Are you most concerned about keeping them contained?

What do dragons represent for you?

The heart has four chambers. Just an idea.

Minor Drag tells us:

-------------------
[/B]
It seems you're wanting to contain something(s)--an idea or feeling or potential action than can "get away from you", thus buying the ceramic container. By watering it, (rejuvenating/animating with creativity/emotion), it takes on a life of its own, manifested as little crawly dragons. I'm curious what your reaction to the dragons is--horror? revulsion? amusement? That would be most telling. Are you most concerned about keeping them contained?

What do dragons represent for you?

The heart has four chambers. Just an idea.
[/B]
---------------

Hmmmnnn...it does seem that by watering these dragons they come alive. (Almost the opposite of having them submerged into water to begin with...as in the Jungian watery depths of the subconscious.)

It would be typical of me to be try to "drown" an issue by pouring water on it to cover it up...only to have it take on a life of its own. (Or in this case multiple lives...I'm trying to learn algebra at a later than usual age...and I just used "multiple" to describe the issue. If I go with it being a "multilple issue" it certainly would fit into my current wrestling with math.

And I think you're right that I do feel that this attempt at learning could easily "get away" from me.

That fits into your question as to my feeling about the orange dragons...I would say I did feel totally out of control of their growth and them needing more and more water to live. (I knew in the dream that I had to care for all these little critters, too! And was feeling overwhelmed, also.)

Yes...I would say my mathematics are dragons that need my constant attention, (even when I'm not studying the quadratic equation or factoring...or whatever, it is still lurking in the background.)

-Sudi
studious avoider of anything mathematical....
I was an Art History Major....the Hallmark of Useless Degrees(!)

Thanks Minor Drag, that did help make sense of the dragons. :D

my dream

This is a dream I had a while back, but I would be interested in what anyone can make of it. Its been puzzling me for a while. Its quite a long one, so bear with me! :)

We (being who I assumed as friends and I) were walking down the street near to the Harrogate Park. We saw a couple, who looked familiar but I can’t remember why, yet I knew that there was some animosity between us. A cat walked by, which seemed to belong to them. I called to the cat, and although it seemed unsure at first, it chose to come to me. It jumped onto my hand (so it must have been a small cat!) and although could feel its claws digging in, there was no pain or wounds sustained. I showed this ‘invulnerability’ to the enemy pair. As the cat leapt off, I had the slight notion that it was mechanical.
Next minute, we were in my Grandmother’s house in Manchester. The house was empty, though my Grandma made brief appearances when I was reading what seemed like a holiday inventory. My ‘team’ and I had assembled in the house for some reason, as we needed to be somewhere else. My mind was cast elsewhere, to see what pursued us. The creature was monstrous, and somewhere where the sun was setting. Suddenly, its eyes shot from its skull, and started to race away with the body in pursuit. The creature and the Eyes were swift, and I could picture them moving quickly over the roads through the hills. I came back out of my vision, and told the rest of them we had three days before they arrived.
The dream moved on then, and we were in a small room. I probably embellish what the room looked like with false memories, but I picture it with red velvet curtains. In front was a video cabinet, and in it was a video and TV. Yet, this was not an ordinary TV and video. In my hand I had a device made up from what we called ‘French Lego’, interlocking blocks (a toy from when I was a kid in RL). Yet this was arranged in a bizarre fashion, defying the block’s physical properties. . I placed my hand within the video slot, and the TV shot to life, and I could feel that we were being transported across to somewhere else. The video slot was some sort of hand scanner. The ‘Clavis Key’, which was what I dubbed the device, seemed to have some sort of stabilising effect, and it glowed a pale white-green. White static overwhelmed us.
The next moment, we were on a spiral staircase, far from the TV room. The staircase was not as I imagined it to be before we transported though, as its structure was decayed. The steps were broken in places, in others they were missing. As a place of the Elder Gods (a notion that entered my mind earlier), this wasn’t right, as if some disaster had occurred.
Then suddenly, something came through a portal.

And then I awoke.

Sudi I need your help!!

Got offered a room in a really nice house last night, and this morning I had the following nightmare:

I was living in my ideal place. People were coming to see it at 11, and I was in bed at half ten and all of a sudden hundreds of people started flooding in, milling around and looking at my stuff. I was trying to lock all the doors but I couldn't get to them all fast enough. I got one lot of people out and more came in. They were pointing at my stuff and gasping in wonder like they were at a museum or something.

I also remember one of them was reading my diary (I don't have one).

I was trying to yell at them to tell them to leave, the place wasn't for sale.
But my voice wouldn't work. I woke myself up making noises like a strangled Chiwawa.

I was trying to scream but it was coming out as a bark!

IRL, every one of my friends is telling me to go for it, with the room, but I'm a big scardey cat.

pinkle

Pinklefish tells us:

Got offered a room in a really nice house last night, and this morning I had the following nightmare:

I was living in my ideal place. People were coming to see it at 11, and I was in bed at half ten and all of a sudden hundreds of people started flooding in, milling around and looking at my stuff. I was trying to lock all the doors but I couldn't get to them all fast enough. I got one lot of people out and more came in. They were pointing at my stuff and gasping in wonder like they were at a museum or something.

I also remember one of them was reading my diary (I don't have one).

I was trying to yell at them to tell them to leave, the place wasn't for sale.
But my voice wouldn't work. I woke myself up making noises like a strangled Chiwawa.

I was trying to scream but it was coming out as a bark!

IRL, every one of my friends is telling me to go for it, with the room, but I'm a big scardey cat.

-----------------------------------

I am going to take a guess that the new room you've been offered is perhaps in a price range that somehow compromises your sense of integrity. Maybe it is being offered at a lower price than you think it's worth and you believe that you will be expected to compensate for this "favor" in other ways. It could be that on the surface the offer seems fine, but you are, nonetheless, feeling that you will somehow be given the short end of the deal in the long run.

So. Even though the offer may appear too good to refuse...it has created a dilemma. Hence your attempt to keep all the negative "issues" concerning this out of your consciousness. (These would be the intruders in the dream that you are trying to lock out of your "ideal place." The "ideal place" being another representation of your "house" or persona.) But they have forced their way in in your dream anyway, which is an effort on your subconscious' part to get you to handle this issue now, no matter how you wish you didn't have to at this point in time. There is an immediacy to the dilemma.

Your next step is to try to shout at the dream people, (your subconscious is really shouting at your conscious,) that the ideal place is "not for sale." This could be another way of your subconscious saying that you feel that you cannot be "bought." Shouting sometimes means that your subconscious really wants you to pay special attention to what it is that you're shouting.

The time you have chosen in the dream (11:00,) might be significant, also. Did you experience any housing or moving dilemmas when you were 11 years old? Sometimes the numbers in dream will indicate another time period or age when a parallel issue popped up. Or maybe something happened 11 years ago that was similar.

You might feel like you have discussed this too much with some friends(s) since there are intruders in the dream examining your personal belongings, which can be representations of your inner self. The dream people are also looking at your diary; it could be that you are subconsciously feeling overexpposed or vulnerable right now because of frank discussions with your friend, IRL.

Or, these nosy dream folks could just be parts of your own psyche weighing the issues (the plusses and minuses,) of the potential move, and they are looking at the things that you don't feel like defining or seeing clearly right now. Can you remember any articles that the intruders are looking at specifically? This might give you a clue as to some individual thing that you need to confront in order to make a comfortable decision.

Your choice of a small dog in the dream, while also describing yourself as a "scaredy cat," could indicate that your subconscious doesn't really want to subdue your initial instinct (the scaredy cat,) very much, or it would have selected a more intimidating dog. I think your subconscious wishes you to pay attention to your very first gut reactions to this dilemma, whatever they may have been.

(Many people find small barking dogs very bothersome, so this lap dog, as representative of your instinctive reaction to this offer, could also be a very attention getting animal...depending on how you feel about that breed of barking dog IRL.)

-----------------

-Sudi

Sudi,

Your posts on this thread have given me a lot of food for thought on the topic of dreams' 'usefulness'. I think it's fair to say that most people in this world do not have access to people who can interpret their dreams for them. Assuming that it is virtually impossible for someone to accurately interpret their own dreams... What purpose or value do their uninterpreted dreams have ? Can the conscious mind still benefit from a seemingly chaotic dream, which it may remember and even write down or share with others, but may not exactly understand ?

I've said it before, but these dream interpretations are amzing. They make very interesting reading. :)
I had a dream that disturbed me a little last night.
I was sorting through lots of boxes of my belongings, mainly things related to work (teachers are horders you know!) and some friends from college turned up who I hadn't seen for ages. I recognised them both instantly and although one hugged and kissed me hello, the other barely acknowledged me and I began to wonder if she was really the person I thought she was or if I had mistaken her for someone else.
The friend who had hugged me started to cry and talk about how bad things had been going for her in her marriage and I started to listen to her but no matter how hard I tried to concentrate on what she was saying, I kept getting distracted by all the boxes of things I had around me that I felt needed sorting right away. I kept going back to listen to her again and then going off to move some more things around. She continued crying and the other friend started to listen to her instead, but I felt I was letting her down.
It was odd where this was happening because it looked like my parents old back room, but it was dark and dusty and incredibly cluttered with all these boxes of things I had with me. Ever the teacher, they weren't cardboard boxes, but the genuine curver boxes that teachers know and love so well, and in bright yellow.
I woke up feeling a little despondent.

As regards the above post, I'm guessing here but we use such a small part of our brains, maybe years ago we had the ability to interpret, or learn from our dreams, but we just lost it for some reason through evolution. Probably absolute codswallop, but a nice thought. :)

Very interesting stuff.

I've been puzzling over a recurrent dream. I haven't had it in a long time - at least 5 years, but I used to have it constantly when I was in primary and secondary school.

In my dream, I'm at my primary school, which was (IRL) a walled convent school made of yellow bricks (mind you, I'm not now, nor have I ever been, Catholic, but that's where I went to school for 8 loooong years, go figure). In the dream, the walls are much, much higher, and the building, which tends to resemble a castle, is on fire. Everyone else seems to have escaped the blaze except for me. I can see the nuns lining up the kids and taking them out of the building. I run up a twisty staircase to a tower room, which is empty except for one of those old-fashioned wooden desks with the ink pot hole in it. There is a lot of dust on the floor and cobwebs stringing from corner to corner. There are fire-fighters on the street below, holding one of those round jump-here-to-escape-the-flames things. However, there's also a huge head of Shakespeare barring the way, going back and forth between me and the firefighters. He looks like a cut out drawing of Shakespeare. He doesn't look menacing, but he terrifies me and I'm too afraid to jump over him. The fire makes the room very hot. And then I wake up.

Re: my dream

Walks-All-Paths said:
This is a dream I had a while back, but I would be interested in what anyone can make of it. Its been puzzling me for a while. Its quite a long one, so bear with me! :)

I was thinking about you dream W-A-P , so it hasn't been ignored . I am not any sort of dream interpreter but it got me thinking as I have dreams like this .
It seems to me that the theme of most of your dream is one of protection and invulnerablilty - the cats claws didn't hurt you , the montrous beast was forced to chase its own eyes instead of you , you are surrounded by supporters , a 'team' of friends .
As for the rest of it - you have some guilt hanging on from long ago that need not be with you any more . You need to let go of the past , you have already moved on and haven't realised it .

Hope this makes sense , perhaps sudi could correct me if I'm wrong ? If it was a long time ago the meaning might not be relevant now .

Back