• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drugs in Your Cupboard (Common Substances with Drug Effects)

ginoide

Abominable Snowman
drugs in your cupboard - drugs you wouldn't expect

an example:
nutmeg.
(don't try this at home)

any other examples?

Especially since drug just means some form of bio-active chemical doesn't it?

i mean: drugs you wouldn't expect. stuff you usually keep at home for othere purposes that can turn out to be <mind-expanding> (or <mind shrinking>...)

for example: if you eat sthg like a teaspoon of ground nutmeg, you'll get high. (they say it's not a really nice experience, though. inmates used to do it when they couldn't get any drugs).
another obvious example: mushroom. some eat <poisonous> mushroom for recreational purposes (i'll say amanita muscaria and psilocybe) (even though it's not something you usually keep in your cupboard. same fot toads. some people lick poisonous toads - bleah)

But that's a different kind of mushrooms than the ones you use for cooking.

Apparently if you eat 4 kilos of bananas you get high. I aint gonna try it.

actually, all mushrooms are poisonous. i'm not sure, but try eating two kilos of porcini: i think your perception will be affected too, apart from the fact that you'll spend the night throwing up among terrible pain...
about bananas: they say say if you smoke a dried banana skin you'll get a high (other version: boil it and drink the water)

Higher than the sun.

Unfortunately the legal 'household' highs are generally an urban myth. Student common rooms are a hive for banana skin lore and nutmeg legend.
Solvents (gas, glue, tippex thinners) are one legal method of getting high but are far more likely to kill you than cocaine or herione, and far less effective.

Stick to the illegal ones, they're far more effective.:rolleyes:

banana skin is probably a legend (and actually i remember hearing the legend when i was 14 or 15: the right age), as is the coca-cola plus aspirine thing
nutmeg is for real, i think

If you have enought time, effort and a fondness for opiates, get a bottle of Kaolin and Morphine from your local chemist store, leave it to settle for a few days, pour out the clear liquid that forms at the top into a pan, bake it and then smoke it.
But remember kids, opiates are extremely addictive, and there also a risk of you coating your lungs with chalk.

Nutmeg High

Here you go:

Grind 6 nutmeg nuts (approx 30g or 1 ounce) into a powder. I use a coffee grinder. If you don't have strainer just break the nuts into large chunks using a mortal & pestle. I reccommend grinding.
Now chuck this into 750 ml of water (3 cups) and simmer without boiling over a stove for 1 hour. The water will be reduced by about 30% so your end result will be approx 500 ml of tea.
After the one hour strain the nutmeg out and let the tea cool. Then sweeten w/ honey (play around with this to see what you like best) and drink.
Note: **IMPORTANT** Do not cool the tea down to where it is noticably cold (test it with your finger). If it is noticably cold, and there is a white precipitate on the sides of your cup re-heat the tea and re-dissolve the white precipitate. You will only get minimal effects if you don't pay attention to this.
Sources: Getting nutmeg is very easy, but getting it cost effectively might be a bit trickier. Get only whole nutmeg, don't waste your time with the pre-ground stuff. If you get your nutmeg at the supermarket it will probably be about / 1.5 oz. This is ok I guess, but if you search out your local herb stores you can find prices (at least in my area) that are about
Grind 6 nutmeg nuts (approx 30g or 1 ounce) into a powder. I use a coffee grinder. If you don't have strainer just break the nuts into large chunks using a mortal & pestle. I reccommend grinding.
Now chuck this into 750 ml of water (3 cups) and simmer without boiling over a stove for 1 hour. The water will be reduced by about 30% so your end result will be approx 500 ml of tea.
After the one hour strain the nutmeg out and let the tea cool. Then sweeten w/ honey (play around with this to see what you like best) and drink.
Note: **IMPORTANT** Do not cool the tea down to where it is noticably cold (test it with your finger). If it is noticably cold, and there is a white precipitate on the sides of your cup re-heat the tea and re-dissolve the white precipitate. You will only get minimal effects if you don't pay attention to this.
Sources: Getting nutmeg is very easy, but getting it cost effectively might be a bit trickier. Get only whole nutmeg, don't waste your time with the pre-ground stuff. If you get your nutmeg at the supermarket it will probably be about $5 / 1.5 oz. This is ok I guess, but if you search out your local herb stores you can find prices (at least in my area) that are about $1/ oz.
Effects: They begin within 15 minutes and last (estimated) 3 or 4 hours. It is very similiar to cannabis.
/ oz.
Effects: They begin within 15 minutes and last (estimated) 3 or 4 hours. It is very similiar to cannabis.

I found this here: http://www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg_info2.shtml

Sounds like a lot of effort for very little effect.

going bananas again

come to think of it, years ago a frined of mine (not me, of course) suffered from severe depression. i was on therapy with pills and stuff, but as it was not enough the psychiatrist told him there were certain foods that contained lots of triptophane (i'm guessing - triptofano in italian, a substance that boosts your natural serotonine production). among these foods, the richest in this substance were chocolate and bananas. can this be the answer to the alleged <banana high>?

I've heard that aubergine (eggplant) contains high levels of nicotine. Anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Some friends once tried smoking bits of onion in order to get high. They just felt ill and onion-y. :p

years ago some friends of mine tried smoking red hot chili pepper. don't ask me why. i think their throat's still on fire.

Higher Ground

Which one was it? Anthony Keidis, Flea? Did they mind? ;)

(sorry. It's a very slow day)

ginoide said:
years ago some friends of mine tried smoking red hot chili pepper. don't ask me why. i think their throat's still on fire.

GAAAAH!!!

We once fried Chilli's whilst trying to cook a mexican meal for a group of friends. The smoke drove EVERYONE out of the entire house faster than if the police had used tear gas. Eyes streaming, mouth throat and nose burning for half an hour afterwards. Took a brave man with face wrapped in jumpers to dash back in, turn the pan off and ventilate the house.

If you ever want to rid a house of squatters or guests overstaying their welcome, that stuff'll do it.

Smoking the stuff in a roll-up?!?!! They deserve what they get!

Personally, I would stay well away from nutmeg.
Its a really nasty high - like having a 'whitey' as they say in my parts (ie. smoking weed and drinking a little to much and getting sick to your stomach), and it is possible in some cases to get really, really, have to go to hospital, kind of sick.
I did remember an old mate of mine who managed to pick up a ice-cream maker because he knew that the maker used little cylindars of nitrous oxide - laughing gas.
That was really nice, like amyl nitrate but cleaner and it didn't leave you with a nasty headache. So if anyone has a Mr Whippy machine for sale, drop us a line.,

I agree Chat, the effort to highness ratio is pathetic and with stomach cramps and nausea in equal proportions I didn't want to 'go there' again.

Similarly whilst on my shamanic quest for the spirit world;) I experimented with Morning Glory seeds (the contain a low strength halucinagen). The effort to highness ratio was as dire as nutmeg.

The problem is that any truely effective mind expanding substance is illegal. Those that are legal or not effective.

Silvia is not something you want to attempt without some advive

i agree. i had a girlfriend called silvia and looking back at how things went somebody should have adviced me better... :)

Cursed - Aubergines are in the same botanical family as tobacco, potatoes and tomatoes, and since aubergines are so very weird and yummy tasting (and addictive IMO and hubcaps opinion) I think thay may well contain substances related to nicotine :eek!!!!:
Ginoide - I don't think the tasteless crap that passes for mushrooms in the UK would do anyone any harm or good. Italian mushers may be another matter however.

I know someone who got a load of saffron free and gave it to his mother to make saffron and date cakes and she used the whole lot ! They tasted really weird , sort of dusty and incensey and definitely made me feel odd for a while !
I agree about aubergines being addictive too - I love them .

Re: Caution!!

Edward said:
Silvia is not something you want to attempt without some advive or experience in the hallucinegenic (sp?) arena.

Try here http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html . There are some useful hints and tips and has a library of personal experiences.
But it's not exactly a common kitchen ingredient, which is what the first poster was asking about. Unless it makes a nice pot plant that you can keep on the kitchen windowsill....

About the dried bananas and peanut shells, if you smoke anything enough it will get you
high, because it cuts off the oxygen to your brain.:)

Defining a substance as a "drug" or a "poison" or whatever is really in the eye of the beholder. Every substance if taken in sufficient quantities, no matter how innocuous, can kill you. I remember as a student part of my course involved learning about LD50s (lethal doses) and it was interesting to read about how much of normal household substances are lethal.
As for drugs, I think we're seeing in things like professional sport, for example, that defining a "drug" is getting increasingly difficult. When does artifically taking a natural substance produced by the body become taking a "drug" and cheating?
And then there's the over-the-counter remedies which may contain small doses of banned substances or substances which can easily be converted into banned substances. I saw a little while a go a recipe for getting amphetamines from the humble Vics Sinex.

BTW Saffron is also a poison. You take too much of it and you end up being a yellow corpse.

And looking at the price of it, probably also more expensive than a lot of drugs :)

Is this one of these threads that is gonna 'disappear' without a trace? =)

What about caffeine?

Anyone not tolerant to it can get a very intense buzz from some really strong brews of tea of coffee if taken in large enough quantities (lots of pee breaks needed if you do). Also the caffeine/guarana/taurine type drinks you can get can provide a nice uplifting euphoric feeling if taken above the recommended doses (be careful)!

Alcoholic substances like spirits, wines, mead, kava, vanilla essence or if you're really game, the alcohol in some spirit cleaners or fuels can do a great deal of brain damage if thats what your really after.

Eat enough poppy seeds (not the commercially grown sterile ones) and i'm sure perhaps they could do something though I haven't tried it. Hmm, doesn't eating green potatoes poison your body enough to give you weird nightmares of lycanthropy or something?

Some kids used to come into the store I once worked at and bought bulk packs of soda bulbs...the kind used for whipped cream or soda water dispensers.
[edit]
LoL...OMG. What a coincidence...I bet it was THESE guys.

Disclaimer:

Please gain as much knowledge about a substance as you can before its too late. A good place to get info on this kind of stuff is at Lycaem.org.

Drugs are for people who can't handle reality.

FiKTiSHuS = 'ReaLiTY FaiLuRe'

So what's the story with all these so-called legal herbal highs that you often see advertised in FT? Are they just legal until the Health department gets round to classifying them and if so are they safe?!

I only ever tried one of these things once at the Phoneix festival (back when it still existed) there was a head shop selling bongs etc. and various legal concoctions to put in them.

A friend was with me who won't touch anything illegal but he wanted to expand his mind somehow. The woman manning the stall suggested we tried some weird powdery substance they called "Druid's Dream" which was supposed to be mildly trippy. An group of about 5 of us tried a package each and it didn't have an effect on anyone but me.

It was a very odd experience, everything went kind of flickery and time seemed to be slightly lagging behind my actions - it felt very much like I was watching a film of myself. So, so far so space cakes you're probably thinking - however, to make things slightly more weird I felt like there was electricity flowing around my body and collecting at the extremities - I could see sparks buzzing around my fingers. If you're thinking this sounds good, I suppose it was until I felt really ill and vommed in someone's tent.

So what the hell was this stuff? I could feel it in my system for weeks afterwards and that was enough to put me off ever trying herbal highs again.

Has anyone else ever tried it - did it have similar effects on you and can you still get it or has it been made illegal for leading to permanent blindness/insanity etc??

If Salvia Divinorum was really that good the government would have banned it. The fact is truly mind expanding drugs such as LSD and DMT will never be leagalised even though cannabis and even ecstasy are well on their way. Thats because (nice though they are) they are mind expanding not, mind shrinking drugs like tobacco and alchohol and of course C+E and help to keep the people quiet and relatively happy.:eek!!!!:

That's an interesting point you raise, Aleister. What exactly is the criteria upon which the government decided it should be banned? Why should certain naturally occurring substances be decreed to be banned whereas others are not? Where is the line drawn? If it was found that smoking cabbage leaves caused a temporary, drowsy high, would cabbage be banned?
I was trying to make this point earlier - when does a natural substance taken in certain quantities become unnatural? In other words, who makes this stuff up in the first place?

Absinthe

Although this is not generally a household item, it is something that you can find on the shelves of your local tesco supermarket.

http://www.sepulchritude.com/chapelperilous/absinthe/

Absinthe contains the toxic oil 'thujone' from it's wormwood ingredient. Absinthe was known to cause brain lesions, convulsions, hallucinations and severe mental problems.

Has anyone tried this illustrious brew?

Back