• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drugs in Your Cupboard (Common Substances with Drug Effects)

nutmeg

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add my own 2p on the reason Cannabis was made illegal, I heard it was 'cos it was knocking Whiskey sales, again in the '30s :D

As for drugs at home, can't many mouthwashes do interesting things if you drink litres of them? How anyone could drink that much mouthwash is beyond me though :)

Banana experiment

i can hardly be bothered to write a transcrispt because for one reason or the other i've been awake something like 36 hours, but it works nicely, but takes a long long time to make.
also erm, coffee seems to work faster if you smoke it... erm...:rolleyes: or snort it.

snorting coffee?

For some reason the very idea of snorting coffee makes my eyes water and my nose sting! I should think the granules would get stuck in your sinuses too ....... <ouch>

Absinthe and wormwood oil

Absinthe is a strong herbal liqueur distilled with a great number of
flavorful herbs like anise, licorice, hyssop, veronica, fennel, lemon balm,
angelica and wormwood (the flavor of anise and/or licorice, at least in
contemporary forms of the liquor, tends to predominate). Wormwood, the one
that's gained the most notoriety, is Artemisia absinthum, an herb that grows
wild in Europe and has been cultivated in the United States as well. Much of
the liquor's legendary effect is due to its extremely high alcohol content,
ranging from 50% to 75% (usually around 60%), plus the contribution of the
various herbs. It has been assumed by many that the so-called "active
ingredient" in absinthe is wormwood, although that is apparently not really
the case.
The drink was referred to in France as "La Fée Verte", or The Green Fairy,
which is a reference to its often dazzling green color (depending on the
brand). The color usually came from the chlorophyll content of the herbs
used in the distillation process; however, some disreputable manufacturers
added toxic chemicals to produce both the green color and the louche (or
clouding) effect that in reputable brands was caused by the precipitation of
the essential oils of the herbs. It is quite probable that the bad
reputation absinthe developed was due to these low-grade and perhaps quite
poisonous version of the real thing.

Wormwood had been used medicinally since the Middle Ages, primarily to
exterminate tapeworm infestations while leaving the human host uninjured and
even rejuvenated by the experience. At the end of the 18th century -- the
age of revolution and skeptical humanism -- the herb developed a
recreational vogue. People discovered they could get high off it. The
problem was the means of delivery, as it was unacceptably bitter in taste

It has been shown that consuming pure essential oil of wormwood, a poisonous
concentrate containing high amounts of thujone and with neurotoxins intact,
can cause renal failure and death if consumed. Wormwood oil is not absinthe,
has nothing to do with absinthe, and has never had anything to do with
absinthe. IT IS POISON. You can't safely add it to vodka or Pernod or
anything else.....

RE: mistress merlin

a-hey, it's extremely unpleasant and is the last resort of the stupifyingly bored (ie. me occasionally)

anything for kicks...

Unfortunatly, Absinthe these days doesn't contain wormwood, sorry folks. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned cough mixture, particularly the strong stuff, such as Benylin. Quite a number of people have got addicted to the stuff.

The active ingredient in some versions of Benylin is Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide. Just stick 'DXM' into Google or whatever and see how many sites you get. It's a well known recreational thing in the States apparently, but then you can get cough mixtures that contain nothing but DXM over there. In the UK they are all mixed with various other nasties that make taking the stuff more of a gamble. I tried it once, after much calculation of body weight, doses etc. and it really does mess with your mind. I wouldn't do it again though, there are nicer things out there.

The banana high is a myth that was greatly helped by Donovan in the sixties with his joke song 'Mellow Yellow'.

Nutmeg works but is not worth the nausea and cramps. Leave it to desperado's and crims.

Datura - for Gods sake never go near it. It is horrible and will leave you with blurry vision for a week. I have heard and read more than enough to avoid it. If you want to be found naked and covered in dirt wandering in a daze three day's later go for it.

Salvia is now illegal in this country. It is known as a diviners sage and thankfully it only lasts a short time because it gets you so smashed reaching for a drink is hard work and feels really weird. That is at what is known as stage three. Stage four is complete disembodiment and five is unconscious and dreaming. I got to about stage three and a half and it was more than enough for me thanks. It is the weirdest thing I have ever done and the closest thing I can compare it to is strong LSD.

At first you start to sweat and get that something is happenning feeling. Then the walls start breathing and the psychedelic patterns hit big time in under 1 minute from smoking it. A lot of people start thinking there is a presence or Queen of Salvia. Some think it is a God while others decide it is aliens from another dimension. I couldn't believe it when I started going down the Salvia Queen route and became convinced she is real. All my visuals were junglish and there were vines and leaves everywhere and framing the computer around me. Huge creatures could be heard crashing through the jungle. For a while I rode on the side of a huge leopard padding along in time with Robin Trower's song 'Same Rain'. The flanks of the animal were really my wall breathing in and out. I knew I existed and was just hanging in there. My moniter had a game of Civ 3 on it with black unexplored sections that poured out of the monitor and invaded my room and severely distorted the shape of the room and me which I did not like at all. I could not get rid of it because I could not remember how to use my pc. I considered just brushing the monitor off the desk but managed to restrain myself. After about 15 minutes I started coming down. Within an hour it had worn off.

Some people lose touch with reality and start running about with terrified looks on their faces. Some\many it scares hell out of. It is no marijuana substitute and is not necessarily pleasant. It is diabolically powerful but there is no sickness or hangover associated with Salvia. Dont treat it lightly. If you must try it and I can't see why you might want to be aware it can take you in one minute far further away from this dimension than any of the weak LSD that is apparently around these days.

Another item of interest: http://www.snopes.com/toxins/pantene.htm

And........"Smokin' Banana Peels" by The Dead Milkmen

SMOKIN' BANANA PEELS
burrow owl burrow owl burrow owl smokin' banana peels, see how it feels living is easy with ice cubes the world is swimmin' with electric eels talk seriously to me brother smokin' banana peels, savin' the seals there are four me's living all together got to keep an even keel you've got to take life serially smokin' banana peels in between meals i was all pumped up about the iron let's all pray get down and kneel smokin' banana peels sound like this mellow, it's so mellow mellow, it's so mellow no! it's too mellow! ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya no! it's too mellow! ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya mellow, it's so mellow oh oh oh-oh oh mellow, it's so mellow no! it's too mellow! ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya no! it's so mellow! ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya smokin' banana peels, nothin' is real mites are living in you eyelashes people are makin' important deals they're my fingernails and i'm keeping em smokin' banana peels, savin' the seals (???) up and down between your heels dip your breasts in shimmering lip balm talk to me about elvis take elvis for walk and shut up

sureshot

That could kill.

At least you would die with shiny immaculate hair:D .

...shiny immacuklate internals...
Is any kind of high produced by bananas just the oxygen cut-off headrush then? because i have tried it and it gets one extremely stoned for a bit of time but wears off quite fast.

Unfortunatly, Absinthe these days doesn't contain wormwood

Erm...my bottle does. or did as it's now empty.

if you buy the eastern european stuff (the good stuff, not historically, but recently) it most definitely does contain wormwood. if what you're drinking doesn't then its green slop, not Absinthe.

Wormwood, the one that's gained the most notoriety, is Artemisia Absinthum

Check out the last word, if it hasn't got wormwood tell the barman "no thanks"

--kiel--

If smoking a banana gives you a rush it is probably the lack of oxygen. I get dizzy if I smoke tobacco. I am a non smoker and would probably get the same effect with a banana skin or apple skin. Wishful thinking probably plays a part in what you are feeling too. Some kids when I was at school insisted aspirin and Coke works. Any effect they thought they were getting was just wishful thinking. Amazing what humans will do to get high.

I'm surprised no-one (especially the ladies) has mentioned chocolate and I aint talkin' Cadburys. For the real chocolate rush you need 70% coca solids minimum. The effect isn't obvious, except in particularly sensitive individuals, but the feeling of euphoria is real and not just a sugar rush.

Dunno if this has been said yet, but...

Banana Skins DON'T work

Red Peanut Skins DO Work

Nutmeg gives you an unpleasantly sicky feeling for about half an hour. thats it

Mushrooms Most emphatically DO work...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lifes great innit?!

Down on the pharm......

When a teenager I had a BF who worked in a garden centre. He and his mates (some attending a college of agriculture often mentioned in 'The Archers') smoked, ate, drank, sniffed, snorted, baked into cakes, licked or rubbed into their skin just about everything seen down on the farm, including every part of every plant growing, industrial chemicals including fertiliser and pesticide, bird, fish and animal dung of all varieties and tractor fuel.

Some of it made them ill. Some were sent a bit doo-lally, though they may not have been a full shilling to start with. On top of all the chemical experimentation there was the usual binge-drinking and some highly expert cultivation of illegal plants. I'm surprised any of them reached their twenties.

It seemed their aim to to get as high or as smashed as possible in any way they could.

I don't believe it was just drugs they dabbled in, either.
Those sheep sometimes had a worried look.

intaglio said:
I'm surprised no-one (especially the ladies) has mentioned chocolate and I aint talkin' Cadburys. For the real chocolate rush you need 70% coca solids minimum. The effect isn't obvious, except in particularly sensitive individuals, but the feeling of euphoria is real and not just a sugar rush.

Organic free trade cocoa powder from the Oxfam shop - strong stuff !

Salvia wasn't illegal over here last time I checked. And Aleister6666, it definitely does work. You can even buy concentrate, though I'm not sure I'd advise it. In large doses - ie very, very slightly more than normal doses - it's supposed to bear the same relationship to DMT that DMT does to LSD - the difference is one of orders of magnitude. Too hardcore for me, though smoking the plain leaf just made me feel confused and spaced out.

Salvia is only illegal in Australia. It became illegal on the 1st of June.

intaglio said:

Just trying this one right now... YUS. Mmm. Nice.

Also, playing this while eating my choc:

http://www.orisinal.ws/games/bauns.htm

addictive both

pinkle

Absinth and cough syrup

I only drank absinth once, in a pub in Edinburgh. Me and my friends had 2 shot glasses each - they set a limit of 3 per person. I threw up pretty much continuously for for 12 hours and my friends, who were used to drinking vast quantities of alcohol without any side-effects, felt decidedly queasy. Put me off alcohol for a year. That said, I've always had a bad stomach for alcohol, so maybe it's just me.

The over-the-counter cough syrup I bought the other day had ether and chloroform in it. After I was finished with it, I left it on the kitchen counter for a few weeks and finally decided to pour it down the sink - the fumes brought tears to my eyes. I'm a bit alarmed that I drank the stuff now!

That said, I think drugs don't agree with me. I had a hash cake once, and all it did was put me in a foul mood and make me grit my teeth for hours, which gave me a headache! :D

dried poppy heads

My friend said that if you either dry your own giant poppy heads or buy ornamental ones from the florist you can boil them up to make a mild opium tea. Is this true?

Re: going bananas again

ginoide said:
come to think of it, years ago a frined of mine (not me, of course) suffered from severe depression. i was on therapy with pills and stuff, but as it was not enough the psychiatrist told him there were certain foods that contained lots of triptophane (i'm guessing - triptofano in italian, a substance that boosts your natural serotonine production). among these foods, the richest in this substance were chocolate and bananas. can this be the answer to the alleged <banana high>?

Sort of related - fish oil (Omega-3) has been shown to be an anti-depressant. One type of fig is also reputed to contain alot of seretonin (not sure which variety of fig tho').

Re: dried poppy heads

tasha said:
My friend said that if you either dry your own giant poppy heads or buy ornamental ones from the florist you can boil them up to make a mild opium tea. Is this true?

This was a fad in Germany a couple of years ago - buying a huge sack of poppy heads from the florists (intended for flower arranging) and boiling them up in a huge pot for a very long time, then ending up with enough brown gloop for a small hit.

Poppy seeds do indeed contain traces of opiates which has led to
Marks & Spencers crackers being impounded by the Singapore
customs. The full story is on the Guardian-Observer site and I
nearly posted it in the News section at the weekend.

The penalty for importing opiates into Singapore is Death! :eek:

The Great Banana Hoax...?

Every source I know of in regard to the 'bananas get you high' story states that a) it isn't true that bananas can get you high, and b) the whole myth stems from the 'electrical banana' verse of 'Mellow Yellow' by Donovan (1967). The lyric is actually about a vibrator. Allegedly US garage punk outfit The Electric Prunes' 2nd long player 'Underground' (Reprise RS-6262, 1968) had a track entitled 'The Great Banana Hoax' in reference to this.

Back