sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Ooh spinoff!

dune.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I first heard that joke on a Radio 2 late night comedy show back when the first Dune was released in the 80s. Wish I could remember what it was called...

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
The reviews for Dune read like unfettered hyperbole. I hope it's as good as they're saying.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
I first heard that joke on a Radio 2 late night comedy show back when the first Dune was released in the 80s. Wish I could remember what it was called...

lt was called Dune.

You’re welcome.

maximus otter

Who me

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Morning peeps I think that figure on the far right the one in green is a model of me

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
lt was called Dune.

You’re welcome.

maximus otter

Pretty sure Radio 2 never did a comedy show called Dune. It was probably Bernie Clifton's show or something. The punchline to the sketch was "The film that finally answers the question... why do they never go to the toilet in sci-fi movies?"

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Pretty sure Radio 2 never did a comedy show called Dune. It was probably Bernie Clifton's show or something. The punchline to the sketch was "The film that finally answers the question... why do they never go to the toilet in sci-fi movies?"
Because the aliens won't let them?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Dune (2021): Not at all as retro as Lynch's Dune, the Flash Gordon/Steampunk aesthetic is replaced by starker yet still ancient looking furnishings and the Spaceships are more modern than mondo. Still though, there's something of the Imperial Stormtroopers about some of the soldiers, even those out of armour tend to look like Star Wars ship crews. But this is a far darker tale than any SW chicanery. We see Paul Atriedes (Timothée Chalamet) visiting his grandfathers grave who died fighting a bull, Galician Bagpipes are played as the Atriedes family walk along the exit ramp of a spaceship. The spaceships are impressive, a submerged troop/suppies rising up like a whale. But these ships are are like grains of sand compared to the vast Starships, ornithopters are extensively used for transport and combat on Arrakis. The betrayal and retaking of Arrakis by the Harkonnens is vividly portrayed in attacks from above, hand to hand fighting bombings. Here Duncan Idaho(Jason Momos) is given more room to develop as a character than in the 1984 film, it's yet to be seen if Josh Brolin's Gurney Halleck will match or outdo hat of Patrick Stewart's portrayal. The true role of the Bene Gesserit and the early appreciation by the Fremen of Paul as a potential Prophet/Savior is more subtly related by Villeneuve. This is just Part One, i eagerly await the second half. Directed/Co-Written by Denis Villeneuve. 9/10.

In cinemas.

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thanks for the review @ramonmercado but, as I've decided on being pedantic tonight, thems isn't 'starships'... thems is 'Heighliners'

Read all six original books and enjoyed immersing myself into the fantasy. Am looking forward to seeing this adaptation.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Friend from a GFFA sent me it...but the Datacore was corrupt and I only got the first 15 minutes.

If its all as good as that, then it is a very good film. Don't you think the Navigators were cool (and somehow Warhammer 40K Navigator worthy?)

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I tried the book many years ago and couldn’t get on with it so lost interest. Similar to Clive Barkers Weaveworld which was another big hit at the time but not for me.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
*Semi -spoilers* Well not really...

I'm watching it for the third time right now at home and one part I love is how the Bene Gesserit land to visit and test Paul, the rain, the dark, the slightly egg shaped craft they use, it reminded me of a fortean encounter from the classic era of sightings. They expressed their non-Human nature well in that visit scene.

I was annoyed we didn't get to see the Spacing Guild navigators, but they will apparently be featured in part II.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Dune, my review:

[TEENAGER MODE]OMG! OMG! OMG! 11/10![/TEENAGE MODE]

Normal service resumes:

I went to our local IMAX to see it with the memsahib, the first time I've been to the cinema in years. I went in with the same type of reservations I experienced when sitting down to watch the first Jackson Lord of the Rings: The fear that a favourite book of my early years would be ruined. Quite the opposite: my expectations were exceeded tenfold.

Looking back, I really can't find anything about which to complain. I had doubts about the casting, but they were rapidly swept away. From my memories of the book, I don't think I could have done any better from the palette of options available to today's directors.

Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard team up again after their triumphant work on the Gladiator soundtrack. Simply superb.

The SFX? Pick any cliché: Jaw-dropping? Mind-blowing? All of the above.

Cinematography? Sets? Costumes? Flawless.

I'd give it 10/10 except that that score denies the possibility of the next one being better, so an enthusiastic 9.9/10

maximus otter

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Dune, my review:

[TEENAGER MODE]OMG! OMG! OMG! 11/10![/TEENAGE MODE]

Normal service resumes:

I went to our local IMAX to see it with the memsahib, the first time I've been to the cinema in years. I went in with the same type of reservations I experienced when sitting down to watch the first Jackson Lord of the Rings: The fear that a favourite book of my early years would be ruined. Quite the opposite: my expectations were exceeded tenfold.

Looking back, I really can't find anything about which to complain. I had doubts about the casting, but they were rapidly swept away. From my memories of the book, I don't think I could have done any better from the palette of options available to today's directors.

Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard team up again after their triumphant work on the Gladiator soundtrack. Simply superb.

The SFX? Pick any cliché: Jaw-dropping? Mind-blowing? All of the above.

Cinematography? Sets? Costumes? Flawless.

I'd give it 10/10 except that that score denies the possibility of the next one being better, so an enthusiastic 9.9/10

maximus otter

Well that's me convinced!
If even old, cynical Max can wax so lyrical about Dune, then it has to be worth watching!

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here is an interesting featurette about how they did some of the sounds in the film

Ogdred Weary

Rough Beast, slouching towards Bethlehem
Reaction score
Saw it in IMAX and it was awesome.

I missed it there sadly, all IMAX screens seem to be block booked for the same film for "X" amount of time in the UK at least. Dune until Eternals came out then they all got replaced en masse with the new Ghostbusters when that came out.

It was doing well on IMAX so some screens will have it back next week, in the US at least.