• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I wake up most mornings with an ear worm. It is not always the same song, not always one I've heard recently, and not always one I know well.

Sometimes, I find myself going and looking up the lyrics or listening to the original, and often it is nothing like I had "remembered" it.

Recent examples include Kenny Rogers' The Gambler. (You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run...); almost anything by Hank Williams; bits and bobs of Status Quo; or even folk and Morris dance tunes.

A cure is often to listen to the original and to continue to listen to the the rest of the album or playlist.

As I am a very words-oriented person, sometimes I get ear worms that are snatches of verse, ringing phrases, unusual words, or bad puns. When I'm on my own getting ready for work in the morning I often have something of this ilk rattling around in my head. Once I really get under way with the day, it is overwritten by more relevant thoughts.

I vaguely recall in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, the computer HAL asked one of the crew why he was whistling and the crew member explained it was the equivalent of a computer's light blinking to show it was processing. I feel that these ear worms I have are the opposite: some sort of a sub routine to keep the circuits warm until I am processing something.

It may of course have been a different film. I was far too young to understand 2001 when I saw it. (Indeed, at 58 years old, I am still far too young to understand it.)

Anyone remember the old UK schools programme Picture Box? I'm awaiting the arrival of a similar box (a long felt want) and have the theme tune going as an earworm.
The guy who hosted Picture Box - Alan someone, I believe- played a heroin addict in Brookside, and was actually less sinister there than he was presenting Picture Box.

:rollingw:

I got my Picture Box box safely.

Today's earworm is Carrickfergus.
The theme from Ski Sunday is quite a regular earworm for me.

There was a (really really annoying) guy in my class at school who used to sing the words "Jimmy Hill Jimmy Hill Jimmy Hill" over and over to the Ski Sunday tune. Despite that, I still like the tune.

Today's earworm is Carrickfergus.

l have it on a Chieftains CD. lt’s sublime.

Years ago, l toured Ireland with a mate in an old London taxi he’d restored. Seeing that we were near Carrickfergus, l urged him to change our plan and detour to visit the town that had inspired such a beautiful tune.

Let’s just say that sometimes you should cling to the golden fantasy rather than experience the reality…

maximus otter

The guy who hosted Picture Box - Alan someone, I believe- played a heroin addict in Brookside, and was actually less sinister there than he was presenting Picture Box.

Alan Rothwell. Catchphrase: "Hello." He was Dusty Mop's pal in Hickory House as well.

I had Rainbow’s ‘ Black sheep of the family‘ stuck in my brain because i heard it on the radio. And fantastically, reading this thread has kicked it out! I am so grateful. And fearful of what will replace it. When i was trying to go to sleep it would kind of chunter into existence and i would be forced to listen to part of it over and over again, while having to concentrate to remember the words. Which made me very wakeful. This allowing me more time to listen to it again. Very odd.

I had Rainbow’s ‘ Black sheep of the family‘ stuck in my brain because i heard it on the radio. And fantastically, reading this thread has kicked it out! I am so grateful. And fearful of what will replace it. When i was trying to go to sleep it would kind of chunter into existence and i would be forced to listen to part of it over and over again, while having to concentrate to remember the words. Which made me very wakeful. This allowing me more time to listen to it again. Very odd.
Now ive got the theme from 'Rainbow' the kids programme stuck in my head :eek:

Great song! And it's on one of my favourite albums of all time!

Got up this morning with the earworm of an old song my Grandmother used to sing to me when I was small. My Grandfathers clock. It just wont go away and not a song I ever bother about. I looked it up out of curiosity and it is a song from the late 1800s which means it was probably sung to my Grandmother as a child by her mother. Wonder if there is anything to it or just an annoyance. Will need to find a tune online to listen to and to cancel it out.
Is it still winding you up?

This has happened to me more than once. Having a 4 year old grandson who loved the kids TV programme In The Night Garden, I have ended up humming the bloody tune at work.

So let's see if I can get it to stick in someone else's head (I like the Wottingers best BTW):

Christy Moore and Lisdoonvarna. A ceildh standard in Glasgow these days but nobody does it like the man himself! Just... stop being in my head!

Here's a nice earworm. I'm over it, so now I'll send it over to you.

song in your heart.jpg

Here's a nice earworm. I'm over it, so now I'll send it over to you.
Nice version. The original, of course, was done by David Seville (a.k.a. Ross Bagdasarian) in 1958 and released just a few days before I was born. The voice of the witch doctor was speeded up to create a high-pitched cartoony sound, a technique Seville soon adapted to create Alvin and the Chipmunks.

The song was re-recorded with all the Chipmunks' voices so it could be used on their TV show, and was apparently remade several times by various incarnations of the Chipmunks.

I tell you what's a monster of an earworm right now, that David Holmes/Noel Gallagher single It's Over If We Run Out Of Love. I just need to hear the first note and it's trapped in my head for the rest of the day. Leave me alone!

I give you Rod Stewart and the Faces ‘You can make me Dance, sing or Anything’. In fact please take it i’m sick of it. I think how it works is i hear it on the radio, then it sticks with me, until i hear it again and it is exorcised. Not there yet. And I can’t stand Rod Stewart. Even now he’s turned into a road mender.

I wake up most mornings with an ear worm. It is not always the same song, not always one I've heard recently, and not always one I know well.
Thanks for writing that Mikefule because the same thing as you've written is happening to me at the moment although it's comforting instead because I work with a chef who likes to work in absolute silence so he can concentrate on what he's doing which is fair enough but it's made me hum, quietly whistle to myself, quietly beatbox to myself etc just to get through the heavy silences. I've worked with dozens of chefs and they've all instead liked music in the background so the kitchen can flow. I was singing 'This Charming Man' to myself by The Smiths today, before that it was 'Freestyler' by Bomfunk, for some reason I was singing something to myself by WHAM the other day and I'm not a WHAM fan? .. I don't chose the tunes.

A friend of mine swears by the Ramones “I wanna be sedated” as an ear worm antidote. It works for me insofar as I lose the original ear worm, but then get stuck with
Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours to go
I wanna be sedated
Nothing to do, nowhere to go home
I wanna be sedated

Could be worse?

Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo
Wake me up before you go-go

Feck - why did I visit this thread before bed time.

Give me back the Vitamin C
you took from my orange

Now I have find where that came from.

I've been having a partial earworm and it's driving me crazy. It's not the song below, but only a tiny part of it. Listen to the little five-note hook in every fourth bar that's probably a synth, but sounds a bit like a heavily processed electric guitar (around 0:09, 0:19, etc ):

I'm convinced I've heard that exact hook in another song, but can't place it. The few postings online that I've seen from others afflicted with my problem have a lot of people saying it's Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to Do with It", but that's not it. Billy Ocean's "Carribean Queen" has a very similar six-note riff before the chorus, but somehow I still feel there's some other song that's closer.

Can anyone help?

Back