• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I occasionally get plagued by an incessant earworm to the point where I might feel a tad nuttery - I found a good cure!

This, listened to a few times:

Of course you'll then be plagued by ba-da-DUM-ba-da-dum-ba-da-DUM-ba-da-dum but at least it's a much heavier and cooler earworm to have :)

That it has absolutely nothing to do with Tom Jones' great song.
Perhaps not on its own and for someone who enjoys Tom Jones, but it does have importance in the context and venue of which the song is being sung. It is not a TJ concert but a sports venue. It is in this context it needs to be questioned as to what message is being conveyed.

She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more

Yeah right.

Good old Guardian - never fails to demonstrate double standards!
Whilst they were all for the cancelation of Tom Jones' Delilah, today's Guardian argues that rap and "drill" songs which, let's face it are orders of magnitude nastier, should have a get out of jail free card. This is because such material "wins critical acclaim" and "first‑person lyrics [should not] be taken for confessions".
Wonder if The Guardian has listened to any Nick Conrad material? That is jaw-droppingly vile.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...usic-a-song-should-not-land-the-young-in-jail

Good old Guardian - never fails to demonstrate double standards!
Whilst they were all for the cancelation of Tom Jones' Delilah, today's Guardian argues that rap and "drill" songs which, let's face it are orders of magnitude nastier, should have a get out of jail free card. This is because such material "wins critical acclaim" and "first‑person lyrics [should not] be taken for confessions".
Wonder if The Guardian has listened to any Nick Conrad material? That is jaw-droppingly vile.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...usic-a-song-should-not-land-the-young-in-jail
Except, here, if I understand it correctly, the article is regarding the practise of using rap/drill music or involvement in a video as evidence of a crime for prosecution of a person. Based on the allegation that gangs are using social media and drill (I have no idea of what that is) to promote gang culture. Slightly different.

If fiction authors were taken to task for what they write as indication of their involvement in crimes, there'd be a lot of authors prosecuted.

If the powers that be started to look at what I watch or read to use as proof of me being guilty of some specific crime, I would be in trouble:).

This smacks of the old standard that this person killed that person because of horror books, horror videos , heavy metal/death metal music etc.

Devil's advocate and all:)

It's the social commentary about why that we are discussing. What do you make about the increase in DV?
I thought it was widely reported that there is an increase in DV whenever a home team loses? Perhaps someone should drill down the figures to find out whether the incidences of DV also correlate to Delilah being sung and/or home team losing?

What bothers me is Delilah is a story about domestic violence ... but it's an account, fictional though based on many an incident. It doesn't pass judgement - it gives only one side to the story. So it should be banned because it raises the subject? It's not the songs fault that it gets adopted by 'certain groups of individuals'.
What is the Great and The Good's feelings about La Marseillais? The national anthem of France, once banned by the German Occupation because it inspired opposition. So it was banned by the authorities because it inspired crimnal acts, but it was also a declaration of loyalty. But now history has proved the Authorities were bad, so the song must be good, eh?

Bottom line - complain about songs that promote or support criminal acts, but you shouldn't ban songs that merely involves awful subject matter; you may as well prosecute protest singers for incitement to anti-government riots.

Bottom line - complain about songs that promote or support criminal acts, but you shouldn't ban songs that merely involves awful subject matter; you may as well prosecute protest singers for incitement to anti-government riots.

Agreed.
Check out Nick Conrad's rap lyrics, notably "Pendez les blancs" (hang the white people).
His vile material has now been banned from YouTube but surprisingly, in France he was acquitted of inciting racial violence.
Regarding La Marseillaise, as I mentioned above, it's a cracking tune, but with all the throat-cutting and watering the land with the impure blood of our enemies, it's probably the most explicitly violent of any national anthem.

People, people. It's Silly season.

I find it's the beat. If I'm out running I will often get an earworm from a song that has the same beat that I'm running to.
Reminds me of a session down the gym many years ago.
We were all on the bikes, cross-trainers or whatever, exercising to some upbeat tune - think it was either Eye of the Tiger or The Final Countdown. Then the next song started - it was the slow version of Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz and I was amused to notice that everyone's work-rate dropped by about 50%.

Reminds me of a session down the gym many years ago.
We were all on the bikes, cross-trainers or whatever, exercising to some upbeat tune - think it was either Eye of the Tiger or The Final Countdown. Then the next song started - it was the slow version of Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz and I was amused to notice that everyone's work-rate dropped by about 50%.
Yes, it sometimes makes me laugh. I can't listen to music when I run (I've got the dog with me on an exercise lead and I need to keep an ear open for approaching cars or tractors so I can reel her in), but I will often find myself singing something in my head as I go along. Then I will realise that I'm hitting the ground on each beat and it was simply the speed and 'beat' of the run that has put the song into my head in the first place!

I do get a lot of earworms. Most of the time they are nice classical music that I don't mind hearing. I even hum along sometimes.

But lately it's been - gak - the 'Inspector Gadget' theme!

"da-de-da-de-da,
Inspector Gadget,
da-de-da-de-da-doo-doo"

It's a bit odd because I haven't seen that program since my son used to watch it, and he's almost 40 now, so it's been a long time! I wonder why it's decided to resurface now?

I always have an earworm, but it changes every few days/weekly-ish.

I had a weird one all last week for some reason - probably because I still find the movie it comes from very, very funny on a puerile and juvenile level (sorry) - but no idea why!

But thankfully it's been replaced by this fine, and much more wholesome tune:

Our chef at work has a major case of the ear worms. I like to play 'name that tune' when he starts humming something sporadically so a typical morning will have me say something like "Small Town Boy Bronski Beat!" .. then he'll reply "No idea .. it's something I heard waking up this morning.". I've had Alison Moyet's Love Resurrection going round in my head for the last few mornings for some reason. I think it's because of that opening line: what can I do to make light of this dull day ...

I do get a lot of earworms. Most of the time they are nice classical music that I don't mind hearing. I even hum along sometimes.

But lately it's been - gak - the 'Inspector Gadget' theme!

"da-de-da-de-da,
Inspector Gadget,
da-de-da-de-da-doo-doo"

It's a bit odd because I haven't seen that program since my son used to watch it, and he's almost 40 now, so it's been a long time! I wonder why it's decided to resurface now?
Check out Madam Misfit's cover of the theme on You Tube. :D

Back