• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electronic Voice Phenomena ('EVP')

I have the tape recording of the terminaly ill man which ufonerd is on about -after hearing the of the tragic death of his family in a car crash he telephoned his only known relative-his sister.
however she was not at home ,so he leaves a message on the answering machine .After a short message you actualy hear him shoot himself and slump to the floor.Then after a few seconds of silence you can hear clearly two voices-this happened in norway so everything is in norwiegen .
The police examined the tape and the sister was convinced without a doubt that the two voices were of the mans wife and young child welcoming him to the other side.
The recording was played on a local radio station on its regular halloween show it puts out ever year and has become the most requested recording in its history.Everytime i hear it it gets the goose bumps up.

Wintermoon said:
One place we lived in though, you could deffinatly say was haunted. We lived there when I was 10-11 years old. It was in a row of Terraced houses (All joined in a row, for any non-UKers out there. :) ) . We had a cat who would always sleep on the chairs and sofa, but in this house, if he did come in, he would only sit under the chairs. There was ice on the inside windows in summer. Everyone who lived there received terrable luck. The previous tennants had divorced in the time they lived there and the guy ended up in jail. There were more things, including a 'phone call my mum got that really freaked her out. It was a 'dirty caller' one moring, but he described exactly what she was wearing even though the curtains were all still shut and she hadn't set foot outside the door. She said it was a 'strange' male voice? But, a few years after we moved, she told me that the guy on the end, Cliff, (Next but one from us.) had a poltergiest in his house and actually had the place exorcised. She deffinatly believed it was haunted.

I confimed the details of this when I spoke to my mum last week. The place was Sheldrake Gardens in Lordswood, Southampton (Hampshire, England.). The place was built over a burial ground (I know, sounds so UL doesn't it?!). Cliff experianced the same as most of the people who lived there. Marrige break-ups, terrible luck (There son had learning difficulties.), oppressive atmosphere, personality change, ect. He had an excorcisum (spl?) performed and had no more trouble. His marrige stayed intact.

while i agree w/ those spoken previously that the "voices of the dead" interpretation might be a bit to literal, i shy away from debunking it altogether. I think our namesake, Mr.Fort would hold judgement on the thing. didn't he say that the world is in a state of transition, in-between-ness. If you are familiar w/ tibetan buddhism where birth, life, death and transition occur to each of us every day(perhaps this could be taken literelly) then the idea of "the dead" hovering beneath the veil of our perception is not so far out of reach.

any one had any expereinces of contact over a computer, internet or phone?

from my understanding(and i've never really tried it), it seem Raudive and the gang always worked w/ a great deal of respect and care w/ the voices (whatever they may be). Both he and Jorgenson always invoked God's name beforehand and respectfully asked if there was anyone who had anything to say. Suspension of disbelief must have a great deal to do w/ it(as w/ most psychic phenomenon). In modern times, we are more and more indoctrinated w/ scientific scepticism that the voices simply may not feel comfortable talking to us.

Takes two to tango.

The thing is with EVP (and perhaps with most other forms of contacting the 'dead') is that the dead don't seem to have anything to say. And when they do, it either makes no real sense or is very much open to the interpretation of those listening. And for some reason some decide to mix languages, all in one sentence.

Listening to the 'Ghost Orchid' CD, I always get the feeling that it is purely radio interference from the multitude of radio stations that are out there. For instance, it seems that all of the Eurpoean-based researchers are picking up voices which use European languages. One would expect that, if the dead are trying to contact us using radio, they would be the dead from all parts of the world and from a variety of periods in the past. Why don't we get any contacts from 'spirits' from past civilisations or even, for instance, the Medieval period? Can we assume that they don't understand the medium used (if you pardon the pun)?

i hear what you're saying, jerryb, i only think to leave the door open to the possibility. in a perceiver created universe, i suppose you could only hear what you could understand. i've found some very interesting stuff online about evp and related ideas. some is stuff i've never found again, except for one time. i've come to speculate if those on the other side might make use of more modern means of communicating also...

on the other hand, it could just be fellow terrestrials w/ a sense of humor.

TheHoodedClaw said:
Red Dalek aid:Hmmm, your brain is expert at trying to resolve visula stimulae into recognisable patterns, and presumably one of the most recognisable patterns is that of the human face

In support of this, a confession: one evening in my teens, my boyfriend at the time and I dropped some acid, put on some ambient music (The Orb, I think it was), tuned the TV to a dead channel and were riveted for the next six hours.

I'm sure we each saw something different, but it was very entertaining all the same, although not in the least supernatural (spirals, pagodas, fractals, etc.) and faded out as the drugs wore off.

Don't tell my mum, though...

I remember seeing a piece on one of those paranormal programs the BBC and ITV liked to pump out when X-Files was popular, about a women who started receiving messages on her computer from someone claiming to be alive hundreds of years ago, even when the computer was off. I've a vague memory of seeing the basic details of the case in an unrelated book a few months before as well.
Its strange that with computers as popular as they are now, there arent more incidents involving the latest technology. Seems the spirit world prefers to stick with the more traditional methods of communication.

-"Seems the spirit world prefers to stick with the more traditional methods of communication"

I'm not so certain. if you are familiar with the concept of stocastic resonance by which an image(or sound) actually becomes MORE clear as more noise(or chaos, randomness) is added to the field from which it comes. In evp this is used with technique of a 'carrier' sound(ie. dripping faucet, static interferance, wind on surface of microphone, etc.). If taken to a further metaphoric view one could see how the www itself is the perfect vessal for the dead to embody themselves(esp. w/ the use of search engines). furthermore, the main ingrediant(i believe) in evp experiences is the Investigator Hirself, and their own beliefs, preconceptions, etc.

Perhaps they are waiting for us...

:) I do remember reading a few years about natural things such as stone,water and even wood having the ability to'record' or 'store' feelings and emotions.This could be a link to the reprts of people feeling particularly depressed or frightened beside rivers or streams,in forests where 'Pan' could be responsible for the reports of terror felt in wooded areas.I think that this is very interesting and wondered if anyone else had read about this?
Thanks,:)

tinfoilpants said:
Okeydokey, another one from an addled memory (primary sources are for wimps). The theory was something along the lines of buildings which contain iron rich masonry can store sound in the same manner as a magnetic tape. Can't remember how you play houses, I have a vision of nails and bits of wire which may or may not be totally unrelated.

An equally addled memory recalls that buildings of stone containing Quartz have a knack of recording events. Something to do with the crystals vibrating...for some reason it gave the 'wristwatch' analogy...pass electricity through a quartz crystal to produce effect...

:confused:

Just a thought -- take this to the next level --
In homeopathy, a solution diluted in water or
ground into tablet form, can still contain the
beneficial "element" of the original substance.
(I know - "suppsedly"!)

If true, couldn't the very dust or water in a historic site
still carry the "essence" of a person's thoughts or
record a tragic event someone else experienced
at that location?

Does this make any sense at all?

TVgeek

I'd be interested if anyone knows about or is interested in interpretation of EVP. I've listened to a few EVPs of different sorts and it seems to me that there isn't much to them (generally speaking of course).

For example, I've downloaded EVPs and tried to interpret them before reading the owner's translation. I honestly could make just about nothing of them. Then, magically, after reading the translation I could sort of make out the words.

Anway, I was thinking it would be interesting to fabricate EVPs, some of which are just noise and some of which are actual words - but both being garbled and noisy like all 'real' EVPs are. Then have other people listen to them and see what they come up with. It would also be interesting to write some 'translations' (real and fake) and see how it affects the subjects' interpretations of the recordings.

Has this been done before, and can I read about it? Anyone be interested in trying to design such an experiment?

Thanks all.

I take your point Mike, it's a bit like seeing shapes in clouds, no one else can see it until you point it out,...look there's the trunk and there's the tail.

I wanted to try the experment where you see faces on the tv but my parents wouldnt let me do it,my dad said he knew someone who did it and went crazy.

You have to take a video camara into a dark room where you can see no light and find a tv channel with just snow and record it for 30 mins or so and when you play back the camra you should see faces:eek!!!!:
Hmm,im quite glad i didnt do it now

it's the old shapes in the clouds phenomina again this TV thing. I'm sure that you could see whatever you want to.

Didn't Deric Jarman exploit this effect in his film 'Blue' where you want to see parerns or even pictures emerging from the nutual blue of the screen rather like the blinded filmmaker wants to see himself?

http://217.206.205.129/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1138&highlight=electronic+voice+phenomena

This was an interesting thread where we discussed the video feedback technique of seeing faces. This is where you point a video camera at a TV screen which is displaying the output from the camera, therefore creating a loop in the signal. I've done it many times, but have never seen faces. I could imagine how someone could though, due to exactly what jamesveldon has just mentioned. A technique such as this renders a constant stream of quite random fluid shapes on the screen which could quite easily be seen as faces if that's what you wanted or expected to see.

BTW, I think mike_legs original idea of constructing an EVP experiment is a good and interesting one. Have you thuoght any more about it Mike? Or anyone?

I've certainly put a little thought into it. Unfortunately, I don't really have the equipment or means to do it all myself. And *if* I did it, I would want the results to be at least semi-formally written up. I'm not really in the know as far as setting up experiments (control groups, etc.) so I'd need help there, too.

There are a lot of different scenarios that I want to try:

With 'fake' EVPs:

1. Subjects first read a 'translation' and listen to either confirm or decline that it is correct:
A. Group listens to gibberish
B. Group listens to words that don't match translation
C. Group listens to words that match translation

2. Subjects listen and write a translation... translations for each EVP are then compared
A. Group listens to gibberish
B. Group listens to a coherent sentence or phrase
C. Group listens to non-coherent group of words (random)

With supposedly real EVP's I want to try three things:

1. Groups Listen and write a translation
2. Group reads a translation then listen to confirm or decline it
3. Group reads a different translation for the same EVP and confirms or declines it.

I won't go into all my hypothesis for the different groups.. it's pretty intuitive. In the end, my guess it that we could show statistically that EVPs are, as P Younger said, just like clouds. People will make what they want of them. Still it would be neat to have all the numbers worked out and the whole procedure written up. Someday... <sigh>

Orbyn said:
In support of this, a confession: one evening in my teens, my boyfriend at the time and I dropped some acid, put on some ambient music (The Orb, I think it was), tuned the TV to a dead channel and were riveted for the next six hours.

I'm sure we each saw something different, but it was very entertaining all the same, although not in the least supernatural (spirals, pagodas, fractals, etc.) and faded out as the drugs wore off.

Don't tell my mum, though...

You didn't see a strange Japanese woman combing her hair in the mirror did you? If so Don't pick up the phone! ;)

This is a long pdf paper by a Finnish physicist on EVP. It looks pretty technical (quantum physics and stuff) - I haven't had time yet to study it.

This is just the start of the abstract (!!!):

Abstract
TGD inspired theory of consciousness together with the notion of manysheeted spacetime leads to a theory of biosystems as macroscopic quantum systems. Quantum control is based on manysheeted ionic flow equilibrium: the densities of the superconducting ions control the densi-
ties of the ions at atomic spacetime sheets, and are in turn controlled by 'massless extremals' (MEs) distinguishing TGD sharply from Maxwell's electrodynamics. 'MEs' are topological eld quanta of the classical ra-diation elds and ideal for both classical and quantum communications.
The hypothesis of topological self-referentiality stating that the topolog-ical eld quanta of classical elds form a symbolic representation for the system's properties (system contains in its own structure a theory about system) provides a strong interpretative tool. For instance, bound state entanglement is represented by negative energy MEs and the generation of macroscopic bound states essential for the binding of the mental images is accompanied by the liberation of the binding energy as a usable energy. Hence the ability of the system to behave as a single coherent whole and nonlocal quantum metabolism are dierent sides of the same coin.

I have now skimmed through the whole of the article linked to above.

Actually it is not such hard going as the abstract suggests, and it covers the whole range of pyschic phenomena, including NDEs. There is much of general interest in it (the physics can easily be skipped if you wish - it was mostly beyond me too!), and there are several thought-provoking experiments reported. There is also a useful bibliography at the end.

This might be one to print out and read, rather than attempting to absorb it from the screen.

davidjc said:
I have the tape recording of the terminaly ill man which ufonerd is on about -after hearing the of the tragic death of his family in a car crash he telephoned his only known relative-his sister.
however she was not at home ,so he leaves a message on the answering machine .After a short message you actualy hear him shoot himself and slump to the floor.Then after a few seconds of silence you can hear clearly two voices-this happened in norway so everything is in norwiegen .
The police examined the tape and the sister was convinced without a doubt that the two voices were of the mans wife and young child welcoming him to the other side.
The recording was played on a local radio station on its regular halloween show it puts out ever year and has become the most requested recording in its history.Everytime i hear it it gets the goose bumps up.

Just reading this thread again, and I found the post above...can anyone provide an online clip of this? I'd love to hear it!!

pinkle

Presumption of Idiocy Pending

Thing is, if EVP is genuine, and these are actually voices of dead folks, (what ever that means), then they seem brain damaged. Maybe dying is harder on us than we imagine.

This parallels channeled messages and those pulled from the aether by mediums, and psychics, and so on. The messages are always so banal and devoid of significance that it is almost instantly boring.

How come these dearly departed take all the obvious bother of coming back to tell us, "Hi, I love you," or what ever? Why not say, "Hey, God's a read bastard this morning," or "What ever you do, don't die," or something useful?

Re: Presumption of Idiocy Pending

FraterLibre said:
This parallels channeled messages and those pulled from the aether by mediums, and psychics, and so on. The messages are always so banal and devoid of significance that it is almost instantly boring.

There is the one (I think its on the Shadowlands EVP page
-- I'll add the URL if anyone is interested)
where the police show up at the cemetary during
someone's EVP recording session, and a woman's voice says, "Busted!"

Obviously aware of what is happening --
and with a sense of humor, besides!

TVgeek

Back