• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Erotic Dream. Anybody Got Any Ideas As To Its Significance?

A German TV was hiding in your chimney and grabbing your balls?

And you say that's not erotic?

:rofl:

Jolly Jack said:
A German TV was hiding in your chimney and grabbing your balls?

And you say that's not erotic?

A German TV presenter - not that helps the case any but I knew he was like a German Jeremy Beadle (how standards have fallen since the days of the Original Prankster!!) and was certainly more shocking than erotic - you have a German Jeremy Beadle grabbing one's family jewels when you are unaware and then tell me its erotic!! :)

Yes I know another "You have to walk a mile in my udnerpants" post but....... ;)

Depends which hand he was using...... and was it an extendable ladder?

Oh dear, I've disgusted myself now.

:shock:

I'm calling a time out on that line of inquiry if not for your sake then the rest of the FTMBers. ;)

Emperor said:
you have a German Jeremy Beadle grabbing one's family jewels when you are unaware and then tell me its erotic!! :)

Did he use the 'little' hand or the normal sized one. The former would make you look more *ahem* 'Masculine'.

I posit a subliminal inadequacy complex... ;) ;)

The Yithian said:
Emperor said:
you have a German Jeremy Beadle grabbing one's family jewels when you are unaware and then tell me its erotic!! :)

Did he use the 'little' hand or the normal sized one. The former would make you look more *ahem* 'Masculine'.

I posit a subliminal inadequacy complex... ;) ;)

I assume there msut be some kind of universal law - if one mention's JB then the next poster must mention is smaller hand.

Luckily I have no need for such intervention - I employ of bevvy of Nicuragian midget beauties instead. ;)

There's an amusing article (in PBO) about sailing types bragging about the size of their fenders - "You know what they say, big fenders, big boat!".

So if you only have some small fenders to carry round, you say, "They're for my dinghy!"

OK, you can carry on talking about dreams now, before this all descends into another wink wink, nudge nudge thread. :lol:

Jolly Jack said:
In response to Throw's dream about the dead-seeming woman rocking the bed, a guy I went to school with once confided in me that he'd been having naughty dreams about Cybill Shepherd.

"Moonlighting" being on tv at the time, that was understandable in a young fella, but the disturbing bit was, in the dream, which he'd had every night for a week, she was dead.

And he kept her in a cupboard.

And she was a bit more decomposed everytime he had the dream.

And he didn't think it odd that he was still turned on enough in his dream to do the business.

And then he'd put her back in the cupboard until the next night.

:nooo: :eek!!!!:

Good GOD. That would make me want to scrub myself with bleach.

Abraxas said:
What the hell has a spider got to do with The Morrigan ?????
Well, we may really talking about Ariadne here, the Queen of the Spiral Castle, behind the North Wind.

A spider aspect to the Night Hag (the 'Layer Out'), or Death aspect of the Triple Goddess might be entirely possible. Just as the Morrigan, Crow Goddess of War, is yet another aspect.

As some rude and insensitive skeptics have been pointing out, a great deal of modern paganism is made up on the hoof, drawing upon a variety of sources, ancient and modern, from around the World. That doesn't necessarily make them less valid. One, might see them as being woven together into a silvery, shining web of Moonshine. And why not?

It does seem, from this Thread, that sweaty, erotic and terrifying encounters with the Night Hag are not uncommon. I've had a couple myself.

AndroMan said:
As some rude and insensitive skeptics have been pointing out, a great deal of modern paganism is made up on the hoof, drawing upon a variety of sources, ancient and modern, from around the World. That doesn't necessarily make them less valid. One, might see them as being woven together into a silvery, shining web of Moonshine. And why not?

Indeed, why not? It's the flexibility and absorptive quality of modern paganism that make it the most interesting and fun of today's religions, for me anyway. Must one be so traditional and literal in their outlook in order to be a "true" pagan? :confused:

It depends how much you stir things into an amalgam, which can also be an attempt to rewrite history to suit one's own purposes. Supposed backwards glances to a mythical past also don't help ;)

simple...

same as any other dream, while you sleep the human mind files and sorts information, the dream is parts of such surfacing.

No mystery, no grand design.

Re: simple...

PaZZa said:
same as any other dream, while you sleep the human mind files and sorts information, the dream is parts of such surfacing.

No mystery, no grand design.
Says you. :lol:

I had a strangely prophetic dream last night.

I was back at my old high school for some unknown reason. Now, my high school was a fairly rough one, the type you'd see in those silly inspirational movies or TV episodes. You know, the ones with an inspirational teacher who saves kids from the dangers of gang life. Occasionally, in real life mind you, there would be especially riotous days when two or three rival gangs decided to puff up their chests and challenge each other. It usually escalated from a fistfight to a big chaotic stand-off (sometimes with knives and guns) at the end of the day.

Anyway, I dreamt about such a stand-off. I remember getting lost in the crowd of onlookers while things rapidly got out of hand. There were a few gunshots, someone had been killed. I vividly remember seas of people, swarming to the heart of the conflict. There was no sense of control, no sense of safety. It was a nightmare in every sense of the word.

When I woke up this morning, I found out there had been a similar stand-off the previous night in downtown. Some gang member had been shot by a rival gang, and hundreds (police estimate) converged on the scene to battle it out.

While I'm not a firm believer in psychic ability, there have been some distinctly uncanny events in my life. This counts as one in my book.

JerryB said:
It depends how much you stir things into an amalgam, which can also be an attempt to rewrite history to suit one's own purposes. Supposed backwards glances to a mythical past also don't help ;)
And of course, Belief systems based on Authorative Official Histories of Belief, especially the varieties neatly written down and pressed into special Holy Books, are much more 'real' than personal Belief systems that people have discovered and created for themselves.

:madeyes:

We're all making our own one way voyage of discovery in this life. Why is it wrong to strive for some sort of Truth that means something to us, personal like?

Strange that the one thing that skeptics are adamant about is that Life and Reality are bereft of any deeper Meaning. Our dreams are empty, our consciousness a trick similiar to the persistance of vision and modern paganism is bereft of meaning, because it is based on an incorrect reading of history. A history that was at least 95% oral tradition and therefore, apparently, lost to us, anyway.

And so on...

But, human Belief is dynamic, the search for Meaning will continue. People will persist in writing Narratives to their lives that make some sense of them. And, occasionally we will continue to be surprised when some part of the internal Narrative seems to manifest into 'objective reality.'

That search won't be much cop if it decides to rewrite the past for it's own uses. Otherwise, what use is the past, and why strive to make use of it if only to rewrite it and thus devalue it? Then again, it depends on whether those doing the rewriting acknowledge what they're doing and don't keep up any pretense of following any 'old ways', etc. ;)

JerryB said:
That search won't be much cop if it decides to rewrite the past for it's own uses. Otherwise, what use is the past, and why strive to make use of it if only to rewrite it and thus devalue it? Then again, it depends on whether those doing the rewriting acknowledge what they're doing and don't keep up any pretense of following any 'old ways', etc. ;)
How do you actually know if a lost past is being re-written? When it comes to spiritual matters of belief, personal revelation is counted at least as important as something written down by a learned historian, or other expert, anyway.

If people follow the 'old ways' long enough, then they really will be the old ways.

f3nce said:
I had a strangely prophetic dream last night.
Good (and scary) story. Is there any possibility you could have heard the gunshot and it made you start to dream about a gang fight?

Kept me up half the night worrying about it...

By the way, when I said Ariadne, a Greek mythological figure, I was also thinking of Arianrhod a Welsh Deity, or mythological figure. I sometimes get the two confused, they occupy the same part of the mythological night sky, apparently. Whose castle is Caer Sidi, the spiral castle, back of the North Wind, refuge of dead poets and souls about to be reborn.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/gods ... nrhod.html

http://www.tween-the-shadows.com/water/ ... nrhod.html

It's a non-Apollionic Poets thing, nothing to worry about, come back later when the fuss is over. (Sometimes, I haven't a clue!) :(

Last night I mostly dreamt about rich creamy tomato soup in a packet.

AndroMan said:
How do you actually know if a lost past is being re-written? When it comes to spiritual matters of belief, personal revelation is counted at least as important as something written down by a learned historian, or other expert, anyway.

One assumes that modern pagans take their cue about the religious past from history as much as anyone else does. Thus, that is a finite source, and adding anything to it or reworking it is an attempt to change it for a certain purpose. If they don't, the they're making it all up aout of whole cloth - which is fine, as long as there's no attempt to present that belief as something old or something that has a link or continuity to the past.

Speedreading!

Just a little post to say I am still here and reading fast. When I've read all the posts I'll post again!

Re: Erotic Dream. Anybody got any ideas as to its significan

Ceiteach The 369thTo396th said:
I am interested in knowing if other traditional clans hold her sacred also and what significance such a dream would hold for them. :shock:

Some Heathens connect the Spider with Loki. I don't know if that's beacause of the similarity between the Swedish word "lokke" (spider) and Loki...
Anyone know if there's an old Swedish myth to account for the connection?

Loki had a sort of 'indeterminate sexuality', often appearing transgendered and bisexual.

The sexuality of Loki is a true expression of his freedom, unhampered as he is by moral paradigms, and also expresses his gender paradox, in that he is inextricably bound to the Feminine, to the dark goddess, both literally, and symbolically. Loki bears the surname Laufeyson, a reference to his mother, not his father, illustrating wherein his power lies, in the Feminine. It also adds weight to the idea that Loki was part of a previous, matricentric culture where descent was matrilineal. Likewise, Kaunaz, the corresponding vulva-shaped rune of Loki, has a feminine polarity.
Loki is a central part of the mysteries of the Dark Goddess, and as such there is a method to his madness, an order to his chaos. While his actions often seem sporadic and unplanned, they are in fact an expression of the Wyrd of the goddess.

Lots to think about, I'm sure :D

JerryB said:
One assumes that modern pagans take their cue about the religious past from history as much as anyone else does. Thus, that is a finite source, and adding anything to it or reworking it is an attempt to change it for a certain purpose. If they don't, the they're making it all up aout of whole cloth - which is fine, as long as there's no attempt to present that belief as something old . . . . .
Okay.
. . . . or something that has a link or continuity to the past.

I think the "link or continuity to the past" would be that pagans believe their deities/spirits/whatevers are real. I imagine a modern pagan would expect to understand his or her interactions with pagan deities/spirits/whatevers in a different manner than would a pagan from centuries gone.

Also, why not incorporate from other cultures seeing as how so many of us are living next door to and interbreeding with people who are ancestrally from geographically distant parts of the world? Why can't one culture's spiritual motifs become part of anothers? It's not as if that sort of thing is without precedent; Christianity's effect on other belief systems, for instance.

Finally, assuming pagan deities/spirits/whatevers are real, why can't their personalities and behavior change over time? Why can't some of them bow out of human affairs? Why can't beings who rarely if ever involved themselves with people in the old days suddenly begin to take an interest? Why can't said beings produce offspring who inhabit the modern pagan world? Paganism is a religion(s), not a philosophy. To criticize paganism without acknowledging that its adherents believe in their gods, is to overlook the one thing that defines any belief(s): belief itself.

By 'continuity' I meant whether these modern beliefs actually have a link to the real past, or an idealised or invented (modern construct) idea of it. Sure, assimilating from other cultures is a normal thing - but to perhaps imply that this assimilation stems from the distant past may be straying into the realms of modern invention.

JerryB said:
By 'continuity' I meant whether these modern beliefs actually have a link to the real past, or an idealised or invented (modern construct) idea of it. Sure, assimilating from other cultures is a normal thing - but to perhaps imply that this assimilation stems from the distant past may be straying into the realms of modern invention.
Of course they have a link to a 'real past' and of course the past is a constructed artifact. That's the way it works. The problems really start when someone willfully fakes it. That's just like faking an orgasm. Best left to mediæval monks, justifying their abbey's claims to land and the provenance of relics, or the burial place of Arthur and Guinevere.

But, even Gardiner's brand of witchy make believe can become real to the people who believe in it. Just as some claim that fake relics can be just as real as authentic ones, if people simply believe and pray hard enough and the RC Church says that bread and wine can turn into the flesh and blood of Christ.

Dionysiac magic, or what? :D

'Of course'? 'Real' in what sense and constructed by whom? Yes, history is a construct - usually an informed one. Things go astray when some decide to amalgamate an imagined or fantasy past with a real one in order to legitimise their own belief system (in this discussion, a modern construction/fantasy).

JerryB said:
'Of course'? 'Real' in what sense and constructed by whom? Yes, history is a construct - usually an informed one. Things go astray when some decide to amalgamate an imagined or fantasy past with a real one in order to legitimise their own belief system (in this discussion, a modern construction/fantasy).
JerryB, I think we're starting to post at cross purposes. How 'real' does a belief system have to be to meet your high standards? Admittedly, it's very annoying when one comes across the use of terms like 'celtic' and 'wiccan' in contexts, where they quite obviously do not belong and really are being used erroneously. But, as far as the person using them is concerned, that's what they mean and they may well believe it too.

There are most probably people out there, today, busy constructing a belief system based on the Jedi Knight code to be found in George Lucas' Star Wars films. They probably don't even know that Lucas may well have ripped off the original idea from EE 'Doc' Smith's Grey Lensman pulp SF series from the Thirties. Does it matter, provided they actually believe that there is some truth implicit in concept of 'The Force'?

I believe that pagans and poets, as well as other believers, are seeking a core of truth, which may be quite different from any historically authentic 'truth' contained in their beliefs and principles. As Roger McGough said on BBC Radio4's Poetry Please, tonight, "If Religion is about the 'Why' and Science is about the 'How', then Poetry is about the 'Wow!' "

I'm saying that the poetic truths to be found in deeply held beliefs are as important as literal truths and that they are about people trying to express, or to regain their sense of awe and wonder in the face of Nature.

JerryB said:
- but to perhaps imply that this assimilation stems from the distant past may be straying into the realms of modern invention.
What you're calling "modern invention" or "construct" a pagan might call "experience". See? It's about belief. If the old gods are real, then their existence is itself the link between modern and ancient manifestations of said gods (spirits/whatevers).

JerryB, I feel like you're evaluating modern paganism as if it were a poorly constructed novel, when in fact it's a loose amalgum of a lot of beliefs, both ancient and modern. Pointing out that some new pagan beliefs can't be traced to old beliefs is like saying the Biblical Old and New Testaments present slightly different interpretations of God. Literary gaps and inconsistencies won't sway a believer. (IMO) ;)

EDIT: JerryB, I just re-read your recent posts, and I am truly sorry for misunderstanding you. You're not criticizing the structure of modern paganism so much as you are dismayed by the way some pagans misrepresent ancient history; not ancient pagan lore, but actual history. Have I got it right this time? :oops:

The only significance I see is that you had a weird erotic dream (which is all it was). If i were you i'd either stop smoking weed, or cancel my subscription to "Scary Pagan Gods Monthly" :p

Back