• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Just to start the thread I will post the famous Norwegian NIL POINT song "Mil Etter Mil" by Jahn Teigen from 1978. "Mil Etter Mil" can loosely be translated into "10 km after 10 km". I'm not sure if there's an English word for "mil". It was and still is a bloody great song. Never understood why it got nil points.

Following the ongoing debacle of Brexit, this year the Untied Kingdom of Grand Britagne will be submitting a note written by it's mum, saying can it please be excused from taking part as it has been off-sick with a cold, and has forgotten to bring it's stuff in.

And anyway: since Australia considers itself now to be a European Broadcasting Union member, the UK's place can now be taken by South Korea.

If the UK were to enter with a song on gender inequality sung by a black male-to-female transsexual, no-one would dare risk being call an 'something-ist' for giving us 'nil point'.

"Mil Etter Mil" can loosely be translated into "10 km after 10 km". I'm not sure if there's an English word for "mil".

That would just be Mile (but in the Metric sense) so "Metric Mile after Metric mile". It's such a romantic title.

Sweden decides it's entry this Saturday night. I predict a win for Robin Bengtsson with "I can't go on". It's quite catchy but also the song included the F-word like 20 times. It has since been changed to Freakin' so I imagine that they cleaned it up in hope of it going to the main contest where no swearing is allowed.

Norway has finally chosen its winner melody. It's an EDM song. Not my favourite.

These two were my favourites:
Second place:

Third place:
A sami song. Sounds like a mix of new age, folk and Enigma. Would not have a chance in ESC, but I like it.

Sweden decides it's entry this Saturday night. I predict a win for Robin Bengtsson with "I can't go on". It's quite catchy but also the song included the F-word like 20 times. It has since been changed to Freakin' so I imagine that they cleaned it up in hope of it going to the main contest where no swearing is allowed.

He won it! My prediction was correct.

Yeah, I read that. Ukraine should never have been allowed to do a political song last year at all, no matter what they said about it not being one. Now we're reaping what they sowed. The fact that the Russian singer is disabled only makes the tension worse, was she being exploited? I'd hate a war to kick off because of the ESC!

The thick plottens. BBC story.

Recently, two Russian pranksters - posing as Ukraine's prime minister and his assistant - released online a telephone conversation they had recorded with a woman they claimed was EBU Director General Ingrid Deltenre.

If this is the voice of the EBU's top official, it is hugely embarrassing for the EBU, because the woman on the recording makes an astonishing admission about Ukraine's winning song: "I was just too late made aware of the song.

"If I would have been earlier, and I think it was on purpose, I would have not allowed the song to participate, to be very transparent."

But it goes further than that..

Equating Eurovision with Sodom and Gomorrah and embarrassing the EBU appear part of a wider pattern of Russia trying to undermine Western institutions and Western liberal ideas.

They have gone from being very keen to win to trying to topple the West through the medium of Eurovision!

I think the Moldovans might be a plot to topple the West through Eurovision, seriously, who voted for that?! With the legs and the...

Anyway, glad Belgium went through, theirs was the best to my ears, not surprised the wacky Portuguese chap with the "Herman Munster jacket" succeeded, watch that guy, he's just weird enough to do well. Poland bringing the cleavage back, I see. Australia through in spite of a very dodgy high note. Is this the first time Desmond Morris has been namechecked in the contest?

Did we get 'nul points' again?

Did we get 'nul points' again?

Britain is one of the Big Five who are automatically through to the final on Saturday along with the hosts, so there are no scores yet, tonight and Thursday are the semi-finals where ten acts each evening qualify for the final.

I think the Moldovans might be a plot to topple the West through Eurovision, seriously, who voted for that?! With the legs and the...

Anyway, glad Belgium went through, theirs was the best to my ears, not surprised the wacky Portuguese chap with the "Herman Munster jacket" succeeded, watch that guy, he's just weird enough to do well. Poland bringing the cleavage back, I see. Australia through in spite of a very dodgy high note. Is this the first time Desmond Morris has been namechecked in the contest?
I quite liked Moldova! (Only just watched it) Are you sure there was only one bad note from Australia? It sounded totally awful to me and our budgies shouted over it. Iceland was my favourite, despite the weird bootsnboobs outfit. Also liked Azerbaijan and Armenia.

If the budgies couldn't find it in themselves to support their fellow countryman, then I doubt Oz will make it to the first runner up position like last year.

A lot of bland song which deserves no attention today. Let's see if Norway with its EDM song can stand out.

Yes, very bland. Norway did stand out a bit which is hopefully all they need. Top marks to Romania for their wacky yodelling song. Budgies were stunned into silence. :rofl: Also to Croatia for their.. whatever that was!

Ireland seem to have fielded a Chipmunk for reasons best known to themselves. And Macedonia - was she really singing? It didn't look like it and the voice sounded very processed.

Yes, very bland. Norway did stand out a bit which is hopefully all they need. Top marks to Romania for their wacky yodelling song. Budgies were stunned into silence. :rofl: Also to Croatia for their.. whatever that was!

Ireland seem to have fielded a Chipmunk for reasons best known to themselves. And Macedonia - was she really singing? It didn't look like it and the voice sounded very processed.
It went well.

The last two ESCs has been full of singers wanting to be Måns Zelmerlöw.

I liked Romania too, great fun, I also liked Belarus which was very jolly. Croatia, yeesh, sartorially I was reminded of the Batman villain Two-Face: a leather jacket and tailcoat combo? Seriously? He'll probably win now. Estonian bloke's psychic powers let him down, I see. Bit of a coup for Israel to recruit Chris Evans. No, not the DJ, the other one. The pregnant lady made me nervous. Roll on Saturday! (Sandwich on Sunday).

Yes, Croatia might just be nuts enough to be in with a shout.

Oh I rather like Ukrainian Ant and Dec as presenters. Roll on Graeme Norton as our presenter.

Spain or Italy, I'd say. Sweden 4th probably.

Probably should say, commiserations to Ireland, Europe just didn't want a Bieber soundalike. Especially not a Bieber soundalike circa 2010.

Oh yes sorry I was rather rude. Sorry your chipmunk got eliminated Ireland!

Well if the UK doesn't do well at least we know for a fact that it wasn't the song.

Graeme Norton was rather disparaging about the presenters but I like them. Plus they did a sketch with Måns.
Måns. :)

Well it wasn' t to my taste but they scored very consistently so congratulations to Portugal. 53 years eh? And we complain!

Hmm. Weird. Completely-consistent votes for Portugal's entry. Including the popular vote.

Yet: it was just a meandering melancholic middleness. How on earth did it dramatically attract such a following?

How exactly does someone become a Eurovision juror?

Why has Australia now permanently become a musicological part of Europe?

And precisely why is tonight the last night of transmission/existence ever, for the Israeli Broadcasting Authority?

Mysteries. But none so much as Portugal...

Yes, congratulations to Portugal, it was worth the wait! Their song grew on me, it was simple and sweet and in marked contrast to the bombast of the other entries. The UK didn't do so badly, that was our best result for years, we just didn't make the left hand side of the board (maybe Lucie's weird facial expressions put off the voters?).

Thanks to Australia for the douze points! No thanks to Australia for sending a representative to moon Jamala! The comedy bit with our hosts in training actually made me laugh, but they were very flirty with the female vote deliverers. What a shame about Israel. I voted for Romania (yodel!) and Belgium (wee sleekit coorin' tim'rous beastie), and they did OK. Always a joy to watch this.

Hmm. Weird. Completely-consistent votes for Portugal's entry. Including the popular vote.

Yet: it was just a meandering melancholic middleness. How on earth did it dramatically attract such a following?

How exactly does someone become a Eurovision juror?

Why has Australia now permanently become a musicological part of Europe?

And precisely why is tonight the last night of transmission/existence ever, for the Israeli Broadcasting Authority?

Mysteries. But none so much as Portugal...
This is something to do with European Broadcasting Authority which apparently broadcasts in places other than Europe. Sad to lose Israel who are consistently good (they were my favourite last year).

Yes, congratulations to Portugal, it was worth the wait! Their song grew on me, it was simple and sweet and in marked contrast to the bombast of the other entries. The UK didn't do so badly, that was our best result for years, we just didn't make the left hand side of the board (maybe Lucie's weird facial expressions put off the voters?).

Thanks to Australia for the douze points! No thanks to Australia for sending a representative to moon Jamala! The comedy bit with our hosts in training actually made me laugh, but they were very flirty with the female vote deliverers. What a shame about Israel. I voted for Romania (yodel!) and Belgium (wee sleekit coorin' tim'rous beastie), and they did OK. Always a joy to watch this.
Apparent!y they were Ukrainian! Shame on you for trying to upstage Jamala with your arse sir!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/entertainment-arts-39894917

Awful shit won. Will forget the song within a month. In a year I will not be able to remember which year it won.

Awful shit won. Will forget the song within a month. In a year I will not be able to remember which year it won.
I already don't remember it. Norway did quite well. Azerbaijan (the favourite in our house) only just squeaked ahead of the UK so that show what we know..

Back