• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

Didn't think much of Finland's entry, but I'm a bit sick of rock that has people singing "woah! woah!" on it. Malta sounded fairly folky, if you like Mumford and Sons and Georgia was... whatever that was. Apparently the man in a parachute was a first. And maybe a last.

Actually, unless Austria's amazing bearded lady gets all the attention, dare I say it this year is kind of average, so... could the UK have a chance? I'm prepared to eat my words if we don't.

The Finnish was a bit indie/alternative rock. Unfortunately it didn't stand out in the crowd. Strange that there were so many bad contributions on one day.

Norway's contribution reached the final, but I don't think it got any chance.

Just eating my words here, om nom nom. Well, that was heartwarming, a plea for unity at the end to bring us all together. Still wanted the Netherlands to win because I got a bit tired of listening to soaring ballads and they were something different, but at least the UK did better than last year. A bit. Dread to think what Poland have in store for then.

A trampolining Greek just can't cut it anymore - and nor can a British entry.
However, it was a popular result that even those nations branded as homophobic went for.
Possibly the most illuminating and heartening thing to happen all week.

Yeah I thought after the first three or four votes it was going to be the Ukraine vs Russia partisan vote show, but then it took off. I liked Poland's entry :). I didn't have the sound on, mind.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Conchita Wurst?

Conchita Sausage :lol:

In German, yes. In Austrian, it's 'Conchita Don't Care' (apparently).

The novelty act won - who'd have guessed? :D

Mythopoeika said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
Conchita Wurst?

Conchita Sausage :lol:

In German, yes. In Austrian, it's 'Conchita Don't Care' (apparently).

That's actually quite funny in that case, and if you can't have a nob gag at Eurovision then when can you? :lol:

Some call it a freak show. Isn't that what it is supposed to be? :D

The best won. The fact that it enraged the Russians was just a bonus.

By the way, "Conchita" is Spanish slang for "little cunt".... :lol:

I felt a bit sorry for the Russian twins, their country's policies weren't their fault, the crowd were reacting as if they were a pair of Putins up on the stage, I was worried they wouldn't get out alive if they'd won. But it was nice to see the political voting Eurovision is always criticised for didn't apply last night.

Saw this today: the winner on Saturday was a man with long hair, a beard and preached a message of universal peace and love. Jesus is back and he's won Eurovision!

Disability Punks:

The Finnish band chosen to represent Finland at the Eurovision Song Contest is unique - it's Eurovision's first punk band, and the band members of PKN all have learning disabilities (autism and Downs' Syndrome). Nuala McGovern and Nkem Ifejika talk to the bass player, Sami Hele.
Release date: 02 Mar 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02l4jrc

They're ace! Really hope they go far.

Unlike the UK entry, which I saw earlier, and is fucking awful. Not even kitschy, knowingly campy bad, but outright crap.

Why do we keep putting up such crap entries? Is it because people with real talent stay away?

I quite enjoyed "Electro Velvert's" song, but there again I do like Swing/Big Band stuff.

[edit] at least it's a lot better than modern pop crap[/edit]

Why do we keep putting up such crap entries? Is it because people with real talent stay away?

Because we're fed pap and Simon Cowell approved covers of MOR horror in the name of entertainment so we don't know the difference between a song and a good song anymore. We put up with it because we're a mass of simpletons grateful for something that doesn't challenge us either musically or intellectually.

It's Eurovision, not The Mercury Music Prize (you can tell because people are interested in Eurovision).

Maybe we purposely put in a crap entry so we don't have to bear the cost of hosting the next one.

I actually think our entry will do quite well. It's not going to win, but I think we'll get in the middle somewhere. With the exception of Finland the entries revealed so far are boring Baltic ballads or forgettable female solos, the UK entry is the only one that's a bit quirky, so it'll stand out. As long as we don't mess up the performance (France 2014, Jemini...) I think it'll do decently.

Love the Finnish entry, but I think the shortness will be a disadvantage- it's less than half the maximum song length! It's practically over before it's even started. It has my vote so far, so we'll just have to see.

Some are saying the British entry sounds like The Bear Necessities, others that it's the old jingle for Bird's Eye Potato Waffles, "waffley versatile". I like it, it's a bit of fun and a nice break from all those earnest, heavy ballads we heard last year.

The tune is quite fun, but I found the video incredibly irritating.

Finland often chose to be a bit different. Also this year.

Hey, FT readers, I've found the long lost Hierophant! He was singing for Romania! Good to see he's using his time productively.

Poor old Finland didn't get through, though they really stood out against too many samey ballads. Should have at least made it to the final. The Dutch entry I expected more from too. Watch out for Hungary, that anti-war tune might catch the mood of the continent.

Hate to say this, Australia, but for your big chance I thought you'd have come up with something a lot catchier. Still better than Armenia's dog's breakfast, though. Where did the Estonian bloke go? Did my eyes deceive me or had he pissed off by the end of the song?

Well, they picked Guy Sebastian (our first Idol winner), and competent singer of saccharine pop), so I don't think they were planning anything adventurous.

Me, I'd have seen if TISM would be willing to get back together.

EDIT Fixed paranthesisation.

80% of finalists are from Eastern-Europe. Probably the same tomorrow.
My favorite this year is Australia. They will get many votes from Western-European voters.

Two songs called Warrior that sound like each other? Did nobody plan ahead? Anyway, second semi-final again had too many samey, inspirational ballads, but I did like Israel's cheeky chappie for doing something different, Cyprus, OK it was another slow one but it was surprisingly sweet, and my favourite was Slovenia, a very catchy tune. I checked out the official video for it and even though the singer is naked, she's still wearing those headphones!

If the award was for the best staging, Sweden are in with a very strong chance. Speaking of which, tonight on BBC 4 there's a documentary all about the conspiracy theories and general weirdness behind the history of the ESC, nine o'clock. Should whet our appetite.

Back