• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

Wow! That is awesomely terrible. I still prefer it to the Electro Velvet waffles song, though.

If we were really bothered we'd just chuck in someone good. Like we did with Cliff (I'm not a fan, but he had traction at the time).

Lordi won it - why not send in Maiden? Or Priest? Or Motorhead?

Even Robbie Williams would be better than the shite we submit.

If we were really bothered we'd just chuck in someone good. Like we did with Cliff (I'm not a fan, but he had traction at the time).

Lordi won it - why not send in Maiden? Or Priest? Or Motorhead?

Even Robbie Williams would be better than the shite we submit.
Indeed.
Sir Cliff keeps offering, and he'd probably do a better job than most of the shite we've put up there - but they keep turning him away (age prejudice, perhaps).

Cliff might not be available in the near future... Anyway, he's already lost twice.

I'd like to see Squarepusher or the Vaccines give it a go, someone you wouldn't expect (which is why they would never do it, but hey ho). Come on, Young Fathers, you won the Mercurys and nobody noticed, now's your chance to make us sit up!

I wonder if somehow Morrissey would fit there.... They will have to make it Veggie Eurovision though... But I suspect it will take a lot of time to get to this level of negotiation with Mozza

That was the rumour, though I was never sure if it was only that.

Sweden reporting for duty sir!

Mums Måns (Yummy Måns) won it then. He's a darling of Saturday night light entertainment, a typical B-list music celeb. But, and here's the difference, everyone in Sweden knows him. He releases music, he's on TV, does musical theatre, radio and is part of the pop scene. The country love him. Girls love him and guys aren't threatened by him.

As I've stated before, Sweden love Eurovision. Now that he's won it, the guy will be a multi-millionaire (from record sales, touring, summer shows, guest perfromances etc).

I agree the song wasn't the strongest lyrically but he gave a great performance.

And something you guys might not know is that Måns has been touring/touting the song all over Europe for the past 4 months. He's been doing hundreds of shows and radio appearances to drum up support for the song. How much European touring did the UK entry do before the show?

I'm not a fan of Eurovision or of Måns but you have to admire the amount of work he put in in order to win it.

The UK entry did their usual personal appearances around Europe and were treated politely as far as I can tell, but pretty much everyone had made up their minds who their favourite was already, and it wasn't us, it was the Swedish workhorse.

Norway has picked their contestant for ESC 2016 in Sthlm.
Agnete Johnsen, who comes from one of the minorities in Norway, the Sami people in the north.
Though don't expect a folk song.

I quite like yoik singing - shame she didn't put a bit of that in.

I quite like yoik singing - shame she didn't put a bit of that in.

Believe it or not, I asked her to sing in sami language at the end of the show if she won. Unfortunately that was not part of the plans, she said.

The way things are going here in the UK, I thought we'd just give up and send over a bunch of monkeys who just throw their own shit at the walls but I think our actual entry could be even worse than that.

The way things are going here in the UK, I thought we'd just give up and send over a bunch of monkeys who just throw their own shit at the walls...
Isn't that our usual modus operandi?

At the risk of crossing threads the one sure benefit from my perspective of brexit would be an end to this nonsense.

Not really, it's the Eurovision, not the EUvision. The swedish semifinal last night included a half-time performance of the host singing in arabic while a choir sang a bowdlerized version of the swedish national anthem. Enough to bring a tear to your eyes, for the wrong reasons.

Eurovision 2016: Belarus entry Ivan to perform naked surrounded by live wolves
They've been trying to bite him in rehearsals.

In what he promises to be “undoubtedly an experience, a great experience,” Belarusian singer Ivan will perform at the Eurovision Song Contest completely naked and flanked by wolves.

Many assumed the 21-year-old was joking when he first outlinedthe performance, but footage of rehearsals posted by LifeNews shows the bizarre choreography becoming a reality.

It also sees a wolf nip at his naked flesh a couple of times, so this should be an interesting entry indeed. ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...naked-surrounded-by-live-wolves-a6978096.html

It also sees a wolf nip at his naked flesh a couple of times

:eek:

Well the voting should certainly be interesting this year. Nil points for Germany again I am guessing. And probably for us too though that may be more to do with the entry.

Re. lyrics last year. I really liked the Serbian entry but it did sport the lines.

"beneath this veil of skin my heart's entangled in, beauty's embodied."

Ewwwwwwww.

I can see the problems if one or more of these wolfs went amok on the live Eurovision broadcast and attacked the audience.

The Swedish entry this year is really sucky. The Swedes still think they're going to win. :rofl:

The swedes should have chosen Panetoz instead, their song performed really well among the 2-year old nephew demographic.

First semi final has started with a mediocre song from Finland.

If you missed it tonight you missed Armenia's sexiest woman and San Marino's oldest man. Russia was such a blatant rip-off of last year's Swedish winner that it was almost admirable in its shamelessness. But both my favourites are now in the final, The Netherlands:

Although the singer looked to be his own biggest fan.

And Austria:

A really sweet tune.

Oh, and the Europe joke at the beginning? Really funny!

I see we got the most points from the judging panel, but were somewhat overwhelmed by the popular vote.

And, no, I don't know what we're doing in Eurovision, but then again, Israel and Azerbaijan aren't in Europe either.

I see we got the most points from the judging panel, but were somewhat overwhelmed by the popular vote.

And, no, I don't know what we're doing in Eurovision, but then again, Israel and Azerbaijan aren't in Europe either.

Where Australia went wrong:

(1) They had a good song, sung professionally
(2) They are entirely divorced from the baffling Balkan and eastern Euro politics which drove it into being a proxy war between Russia and Ukraine.

Back