• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

I fully expect an American entry in the coming years. Maybe they'll get Justin Timberlake to do it.

I fully expect each future contest to have a "well known" act in the middle. I can't understand why no-one hasn't done it before? An audience of over 200 million people, all listening to music and no-one has thought to have a big act in the middle to sell their stuff. Bravo to Justin Timberlakes team for being the first. Next years act - Adele??

By comparison, the Superbowl gets around 110 million domestic viewers and about 30-40 million outside the US. Even at best, it's still 50 million!!! people behind Eurovision. And people are falling over themsleves to do the Half-time show for the Superbowl.

But nothing compares to the World Cup. The 2015 FIFA World Cup Final got about 900 million viewers. However, a 15 minute half time would be a hard gig to carrry off.

Quite aside from the rich seam of potential analysis that runs through the interpretation of comprehensible lyrics, and the analyses that can be made of misheard lyrics, there are indeed lyrics for popular published music that are almost glossolalia, but might be better described as being a shared non-language (maybe a shared endoglossy?).

Notably, the new age soaring and uplifting nonsense of Adiemus and Karl Jenkins (cf Songs of Sanctury) which I heard described as Neoceltic pig latin in Welsh.

Apologies, this taking the thread off it's proper track. The Eurogods will smite me (but in a self-deprecating ironic sort of way, and with a backing track sounding like a hurdy-gurdy synth. And short beards. Oh, and a couple of skinny girls wearing loose muslin shifts, moving their arms randomly)
As a belated addendum to my previous post where I referenced the piece, I've just stumbled upon the non-lyrics to Jenkins' 'Adeimus' (which I've attempted to reformat slightly)

I still love it, despite the difficulties in deriving an absolute translation.... !-)

It manages to say everything and nothing. I wonder if it might be Enochian channelling? Anyway, it's great, whatever it's not

Kee-ree-ee-ee-ree-ree-ee-ee...

A-ri-a-di-a-mus la-te
A-ri-a-di-a-mus da
A-ri-a-na-tus la-te a-du-a
A-ra-va-re tu-e va-te
A-ra-va-re tu-e va-te
A-ra-va-re tu-e va-te la-te-a

A-ri-a-di-a-mus la-te
A-ri-a-di-a-mus da
A-ra-va-re tu-e va-te
A-ra-va-re tu-e va-te

A-na-ma-na coo-le-ra-we
A-na-ma-na coo-le ra
A-na-ma-na coo-le ra-we a-ka-la
(A-ya doo a-ye)
(A-ya doo a-ye)
A-ya doo a-ye
A-ya doo a-ye

(Instrumental break)

A-na-ma-na coo-le-ra-we
A-na-ma-na coo-le ra
(A-ya doo a-ye)
(A-ya doo a-ye)
A-ya doo a-ye
A-ya doo a-ye

A-ri-a-di-a-mus la-te
A-ri-a-di-a-mus da
A-ra-va-re tu-e va-te
A-ra-va-re tu-e va-te

A-na-ma-na coo-le-ra-we
A-na-ma-na coo-le ra
(A-ya doo a-ye)
(A-ya doo a-ye)
A-ya doo a-ye
A-ya doo a-ye

ya-ka-ma ya-ma-ya-ka-ya me-ma
(A-ya doo a-ye)
(A-ya doo a-ye)
(A-ya doo a-ye)
ya-ka-ma ya-ma-ya-ka-ya me-ya
(A-ya doo a-ye)
(A-ya doo a-ye)
(A-ya doo a-ye)

ya---ka--ma---me--ah
(A-ya doo a-ye, A-ya doo a-ye)
ya---ka--ma---me--ah
(A-ya doo a-ye, A-ya doo a-ye)

A-ya doo a-ye
(A-ya doo a-ye)
A-ya doo a-ye
(A-ya doo a-ye)
...Repeat until end

Sorry, that's not right is it?

It might even be seen by some as not being decent, legal, moral, honest or truthful.

With it's suggestive semi-satanic gestures (grinding coffee, yep, heard that one before, not convinced), all this political direction stuff (jumping to the left and the right, support for total extremism).

And fruit-pushing, they call it? A likely story. Smut, that's what it is. Sheer hula-hooping smut

Anyway, more tea Vicar?

Personally, I love Eurovision. Everyone gets drunk. Great for business. I encourage drinking games.

As for the notion that there is a conspiracy involved, well let me offer another possibility...

Look at some of the awful entries. Some parts of Europe are pretty parochial based on this. Then figure in the fact that some places will have tastes more similar to their neighbors than other places because they are culturally closer. There are obvious voting blocks based on this such as Scandinavia, the Balkans, Former Soviets etc. Now consider how long it has been since major contributers have won. The last was Germany. But consider how often Britain has won Eurovision compared to other countries, coming in second with 5 to Ireland's 7 wins. So that means that in 61 years, with 40 equal competitors, Britain and Ireland together have managed to win 20% of the time. So ask yourself how unfair the system really is. Britain on its own has won 8% of the time when it should win 2.5% of the time. Clearly there is a pro-British bias at Eurovision, but that is no basis for complacency, and over the last few years the British entrants haven't been that great.

Rock on CarlosThe DJ. I would say "blessings be upon thy house", but you might take offense. I am no fan of Judas Priest, but I love me some Iron Maiden and either would be a breath of fresh air at Eurovision. If Lordi can win, so can JP or Maiden. There is a groundswell of Heavy Metal in Europe that terrifies the music community. I say let the Tsunami arrive and sweep all before it.

Eurovision has its moments. Who can forget this demonstration of Polish cream-related skills :

poland_eurovision_2014_2.jpg

The arse dropped out of it when Sir Terry died, however.

maximus otter

It might even be seen by some as not being decent, legal, moral, honest or truthful.

With it's suggestive semi-satanic gestures (grinding coffee, yep, heard that one before, not convinced), all this political direction stuff (jumping to the left and the right, support for total extremism).

And fruit-pushing, they call it? A likely story. Smut, that's what it is. Sheer hula-hooping smut

Anyway, more tea Vicar?

Black Lace aren’t really all that subtle.
However, I think the UK should rope them in to redo this as a gesture to Eurovision...

Personally, I love Eurovision. Everyone gets drunk. Great for business. I encourage drinking games.

As for the notion that there is a conspiracy involved, well let me offer another possibility...

Look at some of the awful entries. Some parts of Europe are pretty parochial based on this. Then figure in the fact that some places will have tastes more similar to their neighbors than other places because they are culturally closer. There are obvious voting blocks based on this such as Scandinavia, the Balkans, Former Soviets etc. Now consider how long it has been since major contributers have won. The last was Germany. But consider how often Britain has won Eurovision compared to other countries, coming in second with 5 to Ireland's 7 wins. So that means that in 61 years, with 40 equal competitors, Britain and Ireland together have managed to win 20% of the time. So ask yourself how unfair the system really is. Britain on its own has won 8% of the time when it should win 2.5% of the time. Clearly there is a pro-British bias at Eurovision, but that is no basis for complacency, and over the last few years the British entrants haven't been that great.
Unfortunately, I don't think we have won it at all in the 21st century. So that pro-British bias has gone.

The Beeb are starting their run up for the ‘Zonk fur Europe’.
The format seems they’ve already picked the songs in contention and are just choosing the artists to deliver the package.

So my Eurotwatovision song, ‘Special Place In Hell’ doesn’t look like it’s going to get a look in.

The Beeb are starting their run up for the ‘Zonk fur Europe’.
The format seems they’ve already picked the songs in contention and are just choosing the artists to deliver the package.

So my Eurotwatovision song, ‘Special Place In Hell’ doesn’t look like it’s going to get a look in.
It'll probably be sung in Polish.

Fuckit. Just send Killing Joke and Euphoria.

Overcast, the branches bare
The autumn leaves have fallen
I can hear the magpies laugh
I can’t shake this melancholy

And then the clouds break
A ray of sunlight
Gloria!
As if a promise
Some strange kind of euphoria

Dark phantoms of the past
Some things are best forgotten
Like Orpheus, don’t look back
Best years are waiting for you

A ray of sunlight
Gloria!
As if a promise

A ray of sunlight
Gloria!
As if a promise

Last edited:
Now that's weird...we were watching vids on Youtube on the telly last night...this is the history....around the time you posted that...

1549715042562.png

Australia is picking her entry this for Eurovision this evening and it's our turn to win this year! Who cares if we're not even European?

Always enjoy a good Eurovision barbecue.
The music is secondary to the entertainment value the politicised voting provides.

One of the issues is that European countries just dont like UK pop music, so employing someone who promotes UK pop music to find our Eurovision song is not going to help. Even Dua Lipa (the act that the people employed are behind) only had one hit in Europe recently, and that was a collaboration with an Austrian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/25/british-uk-pop-music-europe-eu-brexit-rule-changes
Fascinating. Maybe our song entries should be sung in French or German to ensure success?

Back