• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

jeff544 said:
gncxx said:
Plenty of good songs have come out of Eurovision. Not all of them win, however. Here's one that did (after the Top of the Pops intro):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfIDioFMPpI

OMG :shock:
Did it really all look like that when we were teenagers? :lol:

Yes, I'm afraid it did - I think I wore some of those fashion disasters as well. We didn't realise how lucky we were not to have phone cameras.

Timble2 said:
jeff544 said:
gncxx said:
Plenty of good songs have come out of Eurovision. Not all of them win, however. Here's one that did (after the Top of the Pops intro):

Yes, I'm afraid it did - I think I wore some of those fashion disasters as well. We didn't realise how lucky we were not to have phone cameras.

I'm pretty sure my younger years would have been a lot less fun if there was a chance some of it would have been on Facebook or Youtube within minutes :shock:

CarlosTheDJ said:
Timble2 said:
jeff544 said:
gncxx said:

I'm pretty sure my younger years would have been a lot less fun if there was a chance some of it would have been on Facebook or Youtube within minutes :shock:

Indeed, I shudder to think...

Damn, I wanted Israel to go through, they were nuts but better singers than the Russian Grannies. Or Jedward, who let their backing singers do all the singing for them again. Albania seemed to be going through some kind of breakdown, and that was just her hair. See them all on Saturday! Apart from Israel.

Well, one semi down and I have a feeling I've already seen the winners.

It will be a travesty if the Russian Grannies don't win! :lol:

There seemed to be a couple of 'mainstream' type songs sneaking in too, the young of today, no respect for the great tradition of camp trash, tsk :roll:

Cultjunky said:
There seemed to be a couple of 'mainstream' type songs sneaking in too, the young of today, no respect for the great tradition of camp trash, tsk :roll:

I guess there weren't enough San Marinans in the world to put their "Social Networking" song through.

Again, the ones I would have picked didn't get through. Most of them were too dramatic for me tonight, Tuesday's selection was better but we didn't get to vote on those. Netherlands was sweet (although out of tune), Georgia was funny (although plainly insane) and Slovakia was Slovrockia (nice to see David Coverdale still getting work).

Roll on Saturday when nobody really wants to win this year!

I was cooking n stuff through tonights show, was the Netherlands the man boat?

Cultjunky said:
I was cooking n stuff through tonights show, was the Netherlands the man boat?

No, she was Minnehaha. Though the manboat did get a laugh out of me.

So, it's ON!

The Azerbaijan opening featured some traditional thangs, OK they were given a makeover.

But what if we won?

Would we get Morris dancers? With flaming sticks?

I can see it now, wire work, flames, Britten in the background (with a mix from some black rapper from the Eastend)

Hang on, hang on, that's the Olympic opening ceremony.

Engelbert is not bad at all! He should win.

No chance!

The Russian Grannies have it in the bag! :lol:

It's Moscow next year.

Who else can afford it? ha ha

Ok, here's Norway. Not exactly my favourite. I was hoping Norway would send a heavy rock/ metal band this year.

The trouble with Eurovision, from a musical point, is that...

The performers perform a song to please an audience they aren't that familiar with.

Take Norway for an example. I'm guessing (yes, yes), it would be a popular song.

But is it a Eurovision song?

Mmmmn :?:

And here's the Swedes. They think they're gonna win every year, but hasn't in the last 13 years.

Hey, I danced around the living room to that!

But it's not about a good tune, it's about who you vote for. Or rather, who everyone else votes for.

However...

Could Greece, Spain, etc afford to host the next Eurovision?

The Uk (excluding Ireland) is one of the big five, in that we are one of the biggest contributors to the Eurovision fund.

I wonder if the voting might reflect that

The ADHD brothers from Ireland were funny. They might even win.

If I could find a German Eurovision forum, I would post that they had the best song.

Even in English, it would mean something.

Although the Uklraine are a bit good.

(can you tell I had a childhood filled with arm in the air music)

Next year, Jed whatever...

Might get the pity vote :D

Agree Germany has one of the best songs, but don't think it will win.

Jedwad say they're going to carry on trying 'til they win. Vote for them this year and we'll never see them again....

It's so temping..

But how much more Guinness do we need?

Cultjunky said:
It's so temping..

But how much more Guinness do we need?

Enough that we become unaware of Jedward...

Perhaps the Swedes finally will make it.

Back