• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

Yeah, the Swedes did indeed make it - Stockholm next year! That David Guetta gets everywhere these days, doesn't he?

I voted for Italy and as usual with my choices it didn't have a chance. Romania were fun too, but how did Albania get so many votes? It's not the Eurovision volume contest.

Anyway, Engelbert was second last and that was either because he was on first and everyone forgot about him or because Serbia nicked our song, seriously, they were very similar and Mr Serb did great. Stole Enge's thunder!

I voted Germany.

I know is was a wasted vote.

But I put the politics aside, voted for s tune I liked.

Was that bad of me?

Well, it was about time the Swedes won it again, I guess.

I think Britain may never win it again...too many enemies. Even old Hump couldn't swing it for us. :(

WhistlingJack said:
They were on The Tube?! My, they have been around a long time, haven't they..?
Almost as long as you if you remember the The Tube. :)

Mythopoeika said:
Well, it was about time the Swedes won it again, I guess.

I think Britain may never win it again...too many enemies. Even old Hump couldn't swing it for us. :(

Maybe try Cliff Richards next year?

No, I'd prefer Lulu.

I think Britain may never win it again...too many enemies. Even old Hump couldn't swing it for us.

Humperdinck was terrible. It didn't deserve to do any better than it did.

I actually thought the bloc voting had lessened from previous years - in particular the Scandinavians didn't all blindly vote for each other. I think the UK could win again but we would need a decent song. Problem is that other countries take it seriously and we see it all as a bit of campy fun - no serious artist would want to be involved. That said I think we could have got something a bit better than Hump without too much difficulty.

I didn't think much of the Swedish song, but apparently it has already been a huge hit across continental Europe - rather like the sub-Lily Allen German winner a couple of years ago. It strikes me a little unfair that countries can enter existing commercial hits - perhaps the rules should be changed in that regard.

Well Engelbert would have had a big hit if anybody had bought it. Gina G was the last time Britain had a big hit Eurovision tune, and that didn't even win!

Gina G was the last time Britain had a big hit Eurovision tune, and that didn't even win!

Didn't Katrina & the Waves' winning entry the following year get to number 1 as well?

My point was not that there is anything wrong with Eurovision songs being hits, but that they probably should not be commerically released until the week of the contest. Entering an existing hit seems unfair to me - a familiar song will always have a better chance than one you have heard for the first time that evening.

Quake42 said:
My point was not that there is anything wrong with Eurovision songs being hits, but that they probably should not be commerically released until the week of the contest. Entering an existing hit seems unfair to me - a familiar song will always have a better chance than one you have heard for the first time that evening.

Agree 100%.

Quake42 said:
Gina G was the last time Britain had a big hit Eurovision tune, and that didn't even win!

Didn't Katrina & the Waves' winning entry the following year get to number 1 as well?

Yeah, but that was in the UK after it had won. Gina had a hit across Europe before the contest was held.

My interest in Eurovision is at best glancing, but I have wondered - what are the criteria for Eurovision artists? Obscurity seems to be quite important. Does it have to be bands who haven't had a hit before?

James_H2 said:
My interest in Eurovision is at best glancing, but I have wondered - what are the criteria for Eurovision artists? Obscurity seems to be quite important. Does it have to be bands who haven't had a hit before?

Nope, any country can submit any artist for the contest, you don't have to be famous or obscure, as long as you can perform. Some of them have had successful careers (Engelbert), some are talent show winners, some are established in their own nation and others, some use the contest as a jumping off point to bigger fame (e.g. Abba or Bucks Fizz) which may or may not last. If you can hold a tune, you have a chance. If not, you're Jemini.

Ronson8 said:
Because Girls Aloud wouldn't want their reputation ruined.

What reputation?

James_H2 said:
So why don't the UK put forward, e.g. Girls Aloud?

Probably because Girls Aloud are on hiatus at the moment and may never get back together. But even The Saturdays wouldn't go on just yet, they're successful enough at the moment without Eurovision, as plenty of pop acts are. There's always the danger they won't be a success on the night. Be great if, I dunno, Dizzee Rascal came back with an entry, though.

Here in the UK, there isn't any credibility attached to Eurovision.

Being one of the big five, we have to put forward a fairly serious entry, well, when I say serious, I mean not a comedy Jedward-esque entry.

Let's be fair, if the Brits wanted to win, we could put together a group, a media campaign, and whatever else it might take to win.

We just don't want to win :oops:

How about a heartfelt balled apologising for Tony Blair, Iraq, and shacking up with George W?

That'll get them all voting for us again, right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18697090

Eurovision: Lloyd Webber racism claims 'unfair'

Organisers of the Eurovision have defended the contest against claims that racism had been a factor in the UK's poor record in recent years.

Andrew Lloyd Webber suggested in a Radio Times interview that black contestants fared worse in the voting.

He added that when he took Jade Ewen to the 2009 contest, he was asked "why have you brought a black artist?"

The European Broadcasting Union, which stages the annual event, said: "We have had no indications of racism".

"On the contrary, we celebrate the differences among different entries, truly uniting Europe for three nights a year."

"At this year's final we had a female black singer representing Ukraine," added the EBU.

"Also, the backing dancer of this year's winner Loreen, was black. Not to mention the French contestant Anggun of Indonesian origin."

Its statement was a direct response to Lord Lloyd-Webber, who criticised this year's competition during his interview.

"I don't think there's any point beating around the bush," said the 64-year-old, "I don't think there was one black face on the programme..."

...In actuality, Ewen performed better than some of the UK's other entrants in recent years.

Andy Abraham and Josh Dubovie both came last, in 2008 and 2010 respectively.

This year the 76-year old crooner Engelbert Humperdinck received just 12 points for his song Love Will Set You Free, earning a second-to-last finish.

Meanwhile, the EBU pointed out that 2001 winner Dave Benton, representing Estonia, was of Caribbean-American descent.

The BBC, which broadcasts the competition in the UK, said the corporation had "no evidence whatsoever" of any racism around the Eurovision.

"Jade Ewen got to a very respectable fifth place in 2009 when 32 out of 41 countries gave the UK points," said a spokeswoman.

"Jade was given points from 19 Eastern European countries, including Ukraine, in 2009."

Any excuse other than the song not being all that great, eh?

It's getting close to that time of year again.. and if this bloke (who's apparently going viral rapidly) doesn't get to represent Azerbaijan I'll be sorely disappointed.

By the way stick with it - at the 3 min mark he goes from the risibly unbelievable to the utterly sublime.

Enjoy :D.

Back