• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

JackDark said:
Thanks. Didn't know we had someone from Luxenbourg on here! Question for you ...

Are you a buck toothed girl, and have you ever received any frightening verse from a bequiffed mancunian? :p

Er...slightly...and I know quite a few mancunians..now I'm scared...

alytha said:
JackDark said:
Thanks. Didn't know we had someone from Luxenbourg on here! Question for you ...

Are you a buck toothed girl, and have you ever received any frightening verse from a bequiffed mancunian? :p

Er...slightly...and I know quite a few mancunians..now I'm scared...

:lol: Well, you obviously don't know The Smiths. ;)

Ask

Words Morrissey. Music Marr.

Shyness is nice, and
Shyness can stop you
From doing all the things in life
That you’d like to

Shyness is nice, and
Shyness can stop you
From doing all the things in life
That you’d like to

So, if there’s something you’d like to try
If there’s something you’d like to try
Ask me - I won’t say no - how could I ?

Coyness is nice, and
Coyness can stop you
From doing all the things in
Life that you want to

So, if there’s something you’d like to try
If there’s something you’d like to try
Ask me - I won’t say no - how could I ?

Spending warm summer days indoors
Writing frightening verse
To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Ask me, ask me, ask me
Ask me, ask me, ask me

Because if it’s not love
Then it’s the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb
That will bring us together

Nature is a language - can’t you read ?
Nature is a language - can anybody read ?

So ... ask me, ask me, ask me
Ask me, ask me, ask me

Because if it’s not love
Then it’s the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb, the bomb

If it’s not love
Then it’s the bomb
Then it’s the bomb

So ... ask me, ask me, ask me
Ask me, ask me, ask me
Oh, la ...

:lol:

Is there any kind of background story to that song?

...and that's before the invention of the internet

alytha said:
:lol:

Is there any kind of background story to that song?

Not really. It's a typical Morrissey lyric about disenfranchised youth.

** Quite possibly first and last time that the bard of Stretford will be mentioned on the Fortean Times site. ** :lol:

Possible actual real evidence for a conspiracy and vote fixing at the Eurovision Song Contest. This goes back to 1968 and it involves Cliff Richard and General Franco!
http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2278069,00.html

40 years on, congratulations may be in order

Sir Cliff demands trophy after film claims Franco plot denied him Eurovision win

Sam Jones and Paul Lewis. Tuesday May 6, 2008. The Guardian

For years, Sir Cliff Richard has endured jibes about almost everything: his music; his faith, his relationships. Even his competitively-priced Portuguese wines. But while the singer has stoically turned the other cheek one wound has festered quietly for four decades - coming second in the 1968 Eurovision Song Contest.

That stain on his career, however, may yet be removed. An investigation in Spain has uncovered skullduggery which, it says, shows the dictator Francisco Franco had the vote rigged, ensuring that the Briton, then a 27-year-old starlet, never had a chance of winning with his song, Congratulations.

Yesterday, Sir Cliff said he was pleased at the prospect of being declared the victor. "I've lived with this number two thing for so many years, it would be wonderful if someone official from the contest turned around and said: 'Cliff, you won that darn thing after all,'" he told the Guardian.

Cause for hope has come in the form of a new Spanish documentary.

According to Montse Fernandez Vila, the director of the film called 1968: I lived the Spanish May, Franco was determined to claim Eurovision glory for his own country. The investigation, which is due to be broadcast shortly, details how El Generalísimo was so keen to improve Spain's international image that he sent corrupt TV executives across Europe to buy goodwill in the run-up to the contest.

Their mission was successful and Congratulations was beaten to the top spot by the Spanish singer Massiel with La La La.

"[Massiel's win] was fixed," Vila, told the Spanish media news website vertele.com. "It's in the public domain that Televisión Española executives travelled around Europe buying series that would never be broadcast and signing concert contracts with odd, unknown groups and singers. These contracts were translated into votes."

She added: "It was these bought votes that won Eurovision for Massiel. The regime was well aware of the need to improve its image overseas ... When you look at all the parties they organised and how Massiel was transformed into a national heroine, you realise it was rather over the top for a singing competition. It was all intended to boost the regime."

Sir Cliff, who is touring Germany, sounded jubilant at the revelations. "If, like they say, they believe there is evidence that it was I that was the winner, there won't be a happier person on the planet," he said, recalling that fateful evening at the Royal Albert Hall.

"It's never good to lose, never good to feel a loser. When I went on that night I said to the band: 'Look guys, there will be 400 million people watching, it will be a massive plug for our song.' And it was. I think we sold a million singles. But we really wanted to win."

Being crowned victor would dovetail nicely with his British tour later this year, he said. Although he conceded that opening an official investigation into the rigged vote "might not be worth the trouble", the belated verdict would mean a lot to him.

"I'd be quite happy to be able to say I won Eurovision '68. It's an impressive date in the calendar these days."

Vindication could, however, still be some way off. Jamie McLoughlin, who runs the Eurovision website Whoops Dragovic, has his doubts over the documentary's claims.

"La La La was controversial from the start as it was originally to be performed in Catalan, but Franco wouldn't allow it, so the woman who eventually sang it was only brought in at the last minute," he said.

"The more obvious answer for the landslide of votes from Germany, the penultimate country to vote for Spain, which tipped the result Massiel's way is - rather boringly - she went on a really popular German TV show the week before the contest to perform her song.

"Still, if it means Blighty can somehow get win number six from all this digging, I certainly won't complain."

Sir Cliff was similarly philosophical yesterday. He clearly doesn't hold Massiel accountable for the vote 40 years ago; and if the adjudication is reversed, he has promised to send her a signed copy of Congratulations

So the next time Britain loses, it's not because the song was crap. Its obviously because, They are all out to get us! ;)

It's no more unbelievable than nobody voting for Gemini because of the Iraq conflict.

Luckily, the Germans are ganging up on Tony Blair, so he won't win either! :D

Oh, that's not Eurovision, is it? :oops:

rynner said:
Luckily, the Germans are ganging up on Tony Blair, so he won't win either! :D

Oh, that's not Eurovision, is it? :oops:
The European Presidency is not as important.

According to Cliff...

"It's never good to lose, never good to feel a loser. When I went on that night I said to the band: 'Look guys, there will be 400 million people watching, it will be a massive plug for our song.' And it was. I think we sold a million singles. But we really wanted to win."

Surely this reinforces the opinion that 399 million people can't be wrong?

It's no more unbelievable than nobody voting for Gemini because of the Iraq conflict

The simpler reason that Gemini didn't get a vote is that the girl couldn't sing live for toffee. The off-tune warblings were so bad that I think Wogan was so embarrased he had to invent another reason for our nul pointer, hence blaming the Iraq war ;) .

Here's the whole sorry performance if you don't believe me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYaeuUUAn4A

Well, I wasn't being entirely serious...

Eurovision Song Contest 2008

Anyone see the Semi-Final tonight? I take it back, Andy, the UK entry is positively reasonable in comparison to some of that! Really wanted the Belgian one to go through, I thought it was sweet, but I'm not surprised Ireland got booed.

Nothing from Western Europe, then, and two from Scandinavia including the Finnish going for the heavy metal vote once more. Surprising to see Jonathan Ross and Philip Schofield get through to the Final. More on Thursday!

But surely there must be some drying paint that needs watching! :?

Hope the finns will be smart enough to sing in english in the final. Didn't think they would make the final because of the language.

Will we yet again see all of europes heavy rock and heavy metal fans settle down in front of the TV and vote in ESC for this years' heavy rock/metal participant?

I thought the Belgian effort was appalling. Just goes to show what Walloon/Flem rows must have erupted over it if they had to make up their own language.
The Azerbaijani one was an eye opener too, I had to get the atlas out to check that it was indeed a Muslim country. :shock: There must have been a fair bit of trouble over that one, to say the least.

isn't including azerbaijan in europe stretching it a bit?

EDIT: azerbaijan's entry is rocking though, and I hope they win.

They're considered by UEFA, European football's governing body, to be part of this continent and there is no higher authority. Except for FIFA, of course.

H_James said:
isn't including azerbaijan in europe stretching it a bit?

EDIT: azerbaijan's entry is rocking though, and I hope they win.
Israel has been in Eurovision for a few years now, if they can get in, then Azerbaijan's a shoo in. ;)

I'm really shocked Lithuania didn't go through, they were fantastic.

Seriously, though, I quite liked the Latvian pirates because it's nice to have a theme, but even though Sweden went through (the favourite) I'd keep an eye on Georgia, they might just garner the sentimental sympathy vote. Malta were trying a bit too hard to appeal to the East with a song called Vodka.

For the first time in years, France aren't too bad. Roll on Saturday! (Sandwich on Sunday)

I'd have loved Lithuania to have got through too, he was so hilariously out of tune. :D And the outfit! It's like the 90's never happened.

DeeDeeTee said:
It's no more unbelievable than nobody voting for Gemini because of the Iraq conflict

The simpler reason that Gemini didn't get a vote is that the girl couldn't sing live for toffee. The off-tune warblings were so bad that I think Wogan was so embarrased he had to invent another reason for our nul pointer, hence blaming the Iraq war ;) .

Here's the whole sorry performance if you don't believe me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYaeuUUAn4A

Singing false...

No wonder we never heard from that band again.

My vote goes to "Teräsbetoni - Missä miehet ratsastaa". The first time I heard them I was really skeptical, but the song becomes better each time you listen.

Oh god, which one was that? :? We voted for Boz-Herts and also loved 75 Cents, mainly because I can't resist an old bloke.
I may have to find another message board you know. I appear to be the sole queen of Eurovision both on here and on the rival board. It gets me down that I seem to be the only one for whom this is the televisual highlight of the year.

Hey, I love Eurovision, too, although I'm not queen of anything. Or at least I did love it until that godawful plod that was the Russian entry won. There were far more entertaining songs than that!

Although I was right about nobody really liking Andy Abraham's eighties wine bar soul, it gives me no pleasure. Joint last! He was better than Spain and they got booed!

Also disappointed Sebastian opted to sabotage this own French entry. I really liked the song and he was arsing about with a globe balloon.

Will I watch it next year? Of course! Wouldn't miss it for the world!

I missed it, boo, on account of being in Italy. I liked the French entry and was disheartened to hear he didn't win (he is a favourite musician of mine, his last two albums have both been boss) but I quite like Russia as well.

I'm pleased the Swedes didn't win as predicted, they can do so much better than that song and now they have to pull their fingers out and produce another The Ark. It should have been Andreas and Carola IMO

Back