• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Experiences With The Ouija Board (IHTM)

Then surely it's ignorance and not the device used that's the problem? I know that there's a lot of fear and superstition, but until people break through this, we'll be stuck in the stoneage enlightenment-wise.

It could very well be, what I'm saying is, it's so easy to make your own board, you don't have to know anything about it, or be taught to use one, and any-one can give it a bash, can't they? And I've never heard it come up in general conversation, ' Listen kids , if you're going to play with this, heres a few things you should know, ' I think some people think there's a genuine cause for concern, and go for the ' Just don't bother, ' approach.

Good point. Even so, I've never known anyone who's been driven mad by one, not even the classic 'friend of a friend'. :)

Question: Ignoring the fact that you can't use the BACKS of your fingernails to do anything, considering that's the part against your fingers, why would using the FRONT of your fingernails not allow enough friction?

(Sorry about the semantic thing; I'm a writer.)

Chrigma, what happend that Hallowe'en night a few years ago? Enquiring minds want to know!

P.S. Kinda leary about trying the online board; never used a real one. BTW, I don't think Mattel or anyone has them copyrighted so it wouldn't make a difference if it wasn't Mattel approved as to whether it would work better or not.

I wouldn't ask the board about my future if I were you, Tyger... it told me that it was the devil himself and would come and fetch me in a house fire. And no, THAT board did NOT survive my mother burning it after that! I will never touch one again.

Whoa, okay, Gemaki, I won't ask it about my future! That's freaky! :eek!!!!: I think I won't even bother with the lotto #s; I'll just use the ones I usually play.
I've read too many stories about the evil they release or at least touch on and I have no desire to EVER use a real one. I'm not even going to bother with the online one, even though it says it's done by a computer. Why tempt fate? Or the evil little demon thingies that haunt ouija boards. BTW, anyone know why it's called ouija board? Oui is yes in French and Ja is yes in German. So it's a yesyes board? I could see it if ja meant no, it would be a yesno board then but...

I had a fling with Ouija the first time I went to college. Me and a few friends who lived in the same building would get together and have sessions. We didn't have a board; we'd cut out squares of paper with the alphabet, numbers 1-9, and yes and no, put them in a circle and use a glass as the pointer.

We had some interesting sessions, so much so that I can remember a few instances even now, around 18 years later. It seemed to me that a session would reflect the kind of people you had in the ring. For instance, I remember one newcomer to the table who was very nervous, and adamant that she didn't want to talk to any dead people. Seemed wierd to me, sitting at a ouija table and not wanting to converse with the dead, but ahead we went anyway.

What was funny, was that all the sessions we had with this nervous girl seemed to be with people who where not dead, but unconscious. We talked with one woman who was in Miami, apparently passed out from booze and lying on a guest bed. I can't remember a lot of details, but I remember asking her what the temperature was down there, and being suprised that the answer was such a low temperature for Miami. Checking the paper the next day, it did indeed turn out that Florida was in the midst of a cold snap. We also talked with one of our classmates, a kind of gruff guy who's unconscious mind was fairly upset with us disturbing him, as he was a bit crude in his language through his session. We told him to wear a blue shirt the next day, and he did indeed wear one to class, though he had no recollection of our "conversation" with him the previous night.

Probably the one event I'll take with me always from my Ouija experience would be the night we decided to try and contact dead celebrities. I remember a very disjointed talk with Jim Morrison who turned rather viciously on a doubting thomas who was participating that night, and probably the most unsettling one: we connected with Marilyn Monroe, and had a melencholy conversation with her where she fingered Bobby Kennedy as the one who had forced a drug overdose on her.

spillage said:
I think the "Demons get you " and the bans were mainly due to Christian peacekeepers. Such is with Tarots and runes etc. Could be a legacy from the fascistic ways of the early Christians and their Pagan bashing.
"Oppose my God and I shall thwart thee" sort of nonsense.
"Don't meddle in the unknown!" Is a common one.... anti-science anyone? lol! :lol:
Could I ask, all the posters who fear the Oui-Ja... are you or were you brought up religiously?
The Pentecostal Oui-Ja board destroying does sound manically obsessive, no offense.

No offense taken,I am not the one with the anti ouija obsession. My ex brother in law is somewhat of an oaf and very superstitious.
Very low on the IQ totem pole, he's somewhat a village idiot here.

In the year 1848, something unusual happened in a Hydesville, New York cabin. Two sisters, Kate and Margaret Fox, contacted the spirit of a dead peddler, became instant celebrities, and sparked a national obsession that spread all across the United States and Europe. It was the birth of modern Spiritualism.
Er.......weren't the sisters just taking the piss? Why doesn't it say so there? Hmmmm...I wonder!
Tsk tsk!

Spillage, I'm not in the least bit religious; I'm anti-religious if anything. I'm not really afraid of them just wary because of all the stories I've heard about them. Can't remember the last time (if ever) I heard of some good coming from using the things.

BTW, thanks, Horik. I'll check it out.

tygerkat said:
Spillage, I'm not in the least bit religious; I'm anti-religious if anything. I'm not really afraid of them just wary because of all the stories I've heard about them. Can't remember the last time (if ever) I heard of some good coming from using the things.

I used a Ouija board once and it told me where to find a big bag of money! And a pie! :D

Seriously, like just about every kid in the world I tried it a few times, but nothing ever happened. We would wait for it to move but it just sat there. Once or twice it moved (we'd start it out ourselves to 'get it going') and it was gibberish. I suspect that's the average experience.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't having a pop or anything. I was just interested to see if there's a connection between believing in it and fearing it, and just avoiding it through religious cohersion and also warning people about its ills.
Cheers.

Ouija Board Tale from 2 days ago

Across the road from my house is a beautiful lake. My boyfriend's daughter was swimming there a few years ago and swore she saw a ghost there, under the water. She was freaked out, but her dad just laughed it off.

After I moved here last summer, we found out( in a locally written book) that a girl named Mary had died there on May 1 ( I forget the year but it was at least 100 years ago). Mary had been there for a picnic with her boyfriend and 2 friends, when she fell in the lake and drowned. Her body was never recovered. In the book, it was written that her boyfriend of that time returned here many years later on the date of her death and seen her ghost.

I had my boyfriend's daughter quite scared by all this :lol: But we made a pact that when May 1st rolled around this year we would contact Mary on the Ouija board and try to get a glimpse of her at the lake.
May 1st was Sunday. It rained and poured down from the heavens all day. In the afternoon we got the Ouija board out and sure enough, "Mary" was talking to us. She spelled out that she was being held here on earth against her will by someone evil. She wouldn't give us his name...she just kept calling him "he".
We asked if we could help in any way so that she may go to the other side, she said, "Yes. Get him dead".

Anyway, we told Mary we were coming to the lake and she said she'd show herself. At dusk, in the rain, we walked over.

There was no Mary.
Only a train that whizzed by ( the tracks are right by the lake).
I told Mary I was not impressed, and went home. :roll:

P.S. We tested the "authenticity" of the board by using it wearing blindfolds. It worked fine, but only spelled gibberish.
Only when the blindfolds were off, did it spell actual words.

As a teenager I was always fairly cynical about things like this but intrigued enough to give them a go. I lived in the South West in a fairly small town and a bunch of kids from my estate used to go and hang out by the river Avon which flows through the place. Anyway one summer we decided to give it a go. One of the girls was very "in tune" with what was going on (ie pushing the glass) but she did manage to convince us briefly that a woman (I forget her name) buried in a cemetary nearby was trying to talk to us. It was quite good fun but if we admit it, we were all pushing the glass a little bit... Anyway, me and the girl I was then going out with decided to have another go on the same bench by the river (there were no lights down there apart from a torch which we took) at midnight, so we did, and asked to speak to the woman who we'd contacted before.

No sign of the lady, but eventually the glass did begin to move a lot more quickly, and as there were only two of us it was a bit more unnerving. We asked who was there and got the reply "Sebastian". We then asked where he was and he said "in the tree". Right on cue there was a massive rustle in the tree we were sitting under - a cat or a squirrel must have been up there, we surmised, but at the time we were too busy soiling ourselves and running up towards the road and light to pay much attention to common sense. Our other friend had claimed to been doing it on her own the same night and to have spoken to Sebastian too (she lived very near where we were) and she volunteered this info without us telling her about what had happened to us first. Creepy huh?

Redhead said:
P.S. We tested the "authenticity" of the board by using it wearing blindfolds. It worked fine, but only spelled gibberish.

Kinda backs up what I've long suspected about these boards - that someone amongst the users is either consciously or (more likely IMHO) subconsciously manipulating the glass.
I dabbled a bit with them in my youth but nothing ever occured to make me believe that spirits of the dead were contacting us - the results were always either vague, common knowledge or stuff that couldn't be sustantiated.

horik said:
Redhead said:

Kinda backs up what I've long suspected about these boards - that someone amongst the users is either consciously or (more likely IMHO) subconsciously manipulating the glass.
I dabbled a bit with them in my youth but nothing ever occured to make me believe that spirits of the dead were contacting us - the results were always either vague, common knowledge or stuff that couldn't be sustantiated.

And who's not to say that communication to unconcious or dead people isn't facilitated through a global conciousness that is all linked together? During my sessions with Ouija I remember we started out with the lights dimmed, the only illumination being candles for a spooky effect. After a few contacts full of misspellings we actually had a spirit tell us to turn on some lights so he could see the board better!

When we used the board years ago, we had a friendly spirit guide named Rusty Tutt. When I was watching Bigfootville on the Travel Channel the other nite, they had a skeptic commenting, his name? Russ Tuttle! :shock:

For those of you familiar with the use of a quiji board, can you answer me this:

Does the tool on which you place your hands move in an obvious manner, or is it definetly due to your touching of it? If its spelling out words i imagine it would take a while. Is there a place for the [space] between words? Basically what I wanted to know is if the thing moved in a way that a normal peice of plastic should not.

????

I have seen the planchette ( or pointer) move very slowly, and sometimes very quickly....so quickly in fact that it was hard to keep our hands on it.
There is no space between words---you have to figure out what it is spelling and try to make sense of it.

Since it didn't work for us sensically when we were blindfolded and couldn't see the letters, I am starting to lean towards the power of mind/ energy causing it to move. Having said that, I may just try an experiment by having someone else and myself place our hands on any ole object and see if that can move.

However, on the other hand, if we are really communicating with the dead, why do they need a Ouija board to talk to us? Why don't they just write us notes and leave them on the kitchen table for us?
:?

I have been using a Ouija board since I can remember, and while it produces an eerie aura and is the basis of countless creepy tales, I am not convinced we are contacting the dead.
If we are, why don't they ever tell us anything useful?

It drives me crazy...

Human 84, the movement is definitely touch-related. The very second there are no hands on it, all movement stops.

Redhead said:
I have seen the planchette ( or pointer) move very slowly, and sometimes very quickly....so quickly in fact that it was hard to keep our hands on it.
There is no space between words---you have to figure out what it is spelling and try to make sense of it.

Since it didn't work for us sensically when we were blindfolded and couldn't see the letters, I am starting to lean towards the power of mind/ energy causing it to move. Having said that, I may just try an experiment by having someone else and myself place our hands on any ole object and see if that can move.

However, on the other hand, if we are really communicating with the dead, why do they need a Ouija board to talk to us? Why don't they just write us notes and leave them on the kitchen table for us?
:?

I have been using a Ouija board since I can remember, and while it produces an eerie aura and is the basis of countless creepy tales, I am not convinced we are contacting the dead.
If we are, why don't they ever tell us anything useful?

It drives me crazy...

Human 84, the movement is definitely touch-related. The very second there are no hands on it, all movement stops.

But is it touch related in the sense that theres a culprit who purposely moves it to scare the other people? When I played with people before I was always certain one of the other people was purposely moving it.

And the reason they "need" a quiji board is because its a calling for them when barely anything else is. Pulling out that quiji board is an invitation for them to communicate with you, where laying out paper an pencil is hardly.

After a few contacts full of misspellings we actually had a spirit tell us to turn on some lights so he could see the board better!

Sounds like a cop out to me. They can shift things and materialise things, but they need a light to see what they are spelling? Hmmmm.... Giggle!

The whole idea of many hands touching a slidy object to make it move and spell messages from the "dead" is an obvious ploy at deception. It contradicts the whole point of contacting the "dead". It's excactly the same as a person just sitting there and talking about stuff and saying it's a message from the "dead", putting that person under drugs or alcohol and seeing the difference. If there isn't any, and the non intoxicated messages are seemingly intoxicated, then it's just crap.

If you put a OuiJa board out and the pointer moves on its own, *After rigorously checking for gadget assistants and taking them out!*...without any help or contact physically...then it would be worthwhile supposing there's something paranormal at large.

I remember posting a news clipping about an incident down a coal mine invilving a ghost last year on a thread here, complete with dates and names etc... very convincing and a few interesting replies, but I made the whole thing up on the spot. The reason? Just to illustrate that anything without proper back up can be posted/passed around/off as truth and someone somewhere will believe it and in time, it will appear as solid.
I don't believe idle gossip and that's why I don't believe in improbable tales which have no reinforcement. If I come across any. then I will begin to believe. That's not closed minded.
The more excuses you hear, the less you listen. Fact of life.

Human_84 said:
But is it touch related in the sense that theres a culprit who purposely moves it to scare the other people? When I played with people before I was always certain one of the other people was purposely moving it.

It has been my experience that people I have used it with have not pushed the planchette. I am sure somewhere in the history of the world, someone has pushed it on purpose, though. It's hard to speak for 6 billion people.
I believe the principle of the movement is based on our own energies.

Redhead I always felt that ouija boards were moved by somebody's mental energies but on the one occasion I tried it with neighbours I found it wasn't exactly. I was pregnant with my first child and had decided if it was a boy it would be called Gavin and if a girl. Karen. As soon as I touched the moving piece I felt like an electric current going down my arm and I consciously tried to mentally spell out Gavin. At first the piece started towards G but then went straight to K and spelled out Karen. The neighbours cat was running aroung acting crazy and we stopped after that. I felt really drained though and that night felt as if something was pressing on my chest so I decided never to do it again as I didn't want to endanger my child and later on read that it can be dangerous to use it. The others continued to use it frequently and were told things that didn't make them happy. All the women who were in that group subsequently divorced and moved away.

spillage said:
After a few contacts full of misspellings we actually had a spirit tell us to turn on some lights so he could see the board better!

Sounds like a cop out to me. They can shift things and materialise things, but they need a light to see what they are spelling? Hmmmm.... Giggle!

Well, if you were in a dim room, you'd probably be able to bump or grab hold of large items, but would you be able to stand by a table and read little pieces of paper with letters on them perfectly every time? And somebody who was farsighted would have even more problems.

The point isn't "the people around the table are pushing the planchett". Of course they are. The question is "WHO is making them push the planchett around?".

"Will power"? Subconcious yearnings, or even that combined. A twitch from anticipation pushing the thing and expectation taking over.
If it's a case of "The spirits using the mortals to communicate" then why can't the mortal be blindfolded? Why is there nothing spelled out that can't be done by an illusionist or mindreader? Bah.. this could go on forever with excuse after excuse and thoretical reasoning.
The point is....it doesn't stand up to scrutiny so no matter how much experience one has with them, there's only the vaguest hint at anything paranormal about them.

Isis said:
Redhead I always felt that ouija boards were moved by somebody's mental energies but on the one occasion I tried it with neighbours I found it wasn't exactly. I was pregnant with my first child and had decided if it was a boy it would be called Gavin and if a girl. Karen. As soon as I touched the moving piece I felt like an electric current going down my arm and I consciously tried to mentally spell out Gavin. At first the piece started towards G but then went straight to K and spelled out Karen.

I have also felt that "tingle", which is even more evidence of our energy being produced. You may have been thinking of "Gavin", but your subconcious knew of the name "Karen" and that is why it spelled that.

This is just my theory...I do not know for sure, as none of us do. It can still be fun to mess around with though ( even more so if there is truly nothing dangerous about it).

spillage said:
"Will power"? Subconcious yearnings, or even that combined. A twitch from anticipation pushing the thing and expectation taking over.
If it's a case of "The spirits using the mortals to communicate" then why can't the mortal be blindfolded? Why is there nothing spelled out that can't be done by an illusionist or mindreader? Bah.. this could go on forever with excuse after excuse and thoretical reasoning.
The point is....it doesn't stand up to scrutiny so no matter how much experience one has with them, there's only the vaguest hint at anything paranormal about them.

Thank you, ya took the words right out of my mouth lol.

spillage said:

And of course, trying to put logical reasoning to what is most likely a completely instinctual and etheral event will equally keep you spinning your wheels.

Bah, you've stumped me there... Go on.. What's instinctual and etheral mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back