• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Talking of fantasy films with dwarves, these short fellas had a sense of humour to act in this scene from 'Walk Hard - The Dewy Cox Story' ..

RE: Dwarves and beards.

In the original Disney outing, only Dopey didn't have a beard. Maybe it was 'unspoken' that a dwarf is made whole by having one. Meh. Disney has NEVER been historical or legendary accurate.
From my own perspective:
Since I first played D&D at the tender age of 16, and then some after, I've played many characters of many races (apart from halfling/hobbits *p'tah* ding!)
However I've always had a soft spot for playing dwarvish characters, and my longest lasting character was in RuneQuest which, as a tabletop role playing game, had a deep, really deep world-building. Including the Elder Races: dwarves, trolls, and elves. In RQ, female dwarves could grow beards in the same way as human Japanese/Chinese males: genetically, they could grow one but for personal taste. Having a beard was NOT 'proving' you more dwarf than dwarf!

The image of a big, bushy 'shovel' beard is in the public mind. That is, the Nordic pattern. When Vikings were vikings and they all wore beards. And this was very much in the mind of Tolkien who was drawing on 'popular' legendary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Finnegans Wake, OK? I think it counts as a fantasy film if not outright Fortean.

I'm not sure where to drop this full film but a Polish mate's just linked it to me and he's a good laugh so it could be anything tbh ..

'kieslowski is the best drama maker, best beauty ever of polish cinema, worth it'

'I'm only two and half minutes in to this .. I wasn't expecting a dwarf but OK .. let's go ..'

Back