• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
For what it's worth, I've watched the Willow TV series, and I enjoyed it. It will certainly divide the fanbase, especially given how many people these days seem satisfied with sniping at everything. It's not groundbreaking, but it captures the balance of darkness, lightheartedness and general humour of the movie. Stylistically, it mostly feels like a continuation of the movie, which I watched a couple of days ago in preparation. I'm looking forward to watching how things unfold in the coming weeks. It's nice to see a fantasy world that isn't taking itself too seriously.

Thanks for the sketch.

Any thoughts on age suitability? I'm thinking of seeing whether my daughter is interested in it.

Thanks for the sketch.

Any thoughts on age suitability? I'm thinking of seeing whether my daughter is interested in it.
Like the original, there are some scary and dark bits. I suspect it depends on the child. I'm frequently baffled by the willingness of some children to be scared, and even to not be scared at scary things.

Three Thousand Years of Longing​

This rather strange 2022 movie has just made it onto Amazon Prime.
The ever fascinating Tilda Swinton plays Alithea, an academic who, on a trip to Istanbul, purchases a strange bottle and, inadvertently, liberates a Djinn/Genie (Idris Elba) from his millennia-long prison.
The remainder of the 108 minute run time comprises Djinn telling his extremely bizarre life story, in a series of colourful tableaux, and Alithea slowly shedding her inhibitions and falling in love with him.
It's full of scene after scene of jaw-droppingly spectacular eye-candy and it occasionally raises some quite profound questions about life. If you were offered three wishes and were not 100% sure that the wish-grantor was not a trickster, what would you dare to wish for?
Veteran director George (Mad Max) Miller has given us a romantic and whimsical fantasy that, I thought, may appeal more to women than men, and yet my wife found her attention flagging a bit mid-way through, whereas I was happy to go with the flow throughout.
It's a 7/10 from me, as I must admit I'm a Tilda fan and her films are invariably a bit bonkers but always entertaining.
Wish I'd broken out the projector and big screen for this one, as it looks utterly amazing and the surround sound is excellent too.

Every Dungeons & Dragons player throughout history have considered this philosophical conundrum, with the players trying to think of something clever and the referee thinking of a clever way to confound it.
My favourite? Wish for the ability to grant wishes then collaborate with your chums to get all you desire.

Watched `Willow` series.

Am slightly grateful we wont be seeing any more of those tossers.

Warrior Nun: A secret order of nuns dedicated to combating demons, generally just the wraith type which possess people but occasionally more fearsome ones. Their leader is killed during an ambush and her internal halo is transplanted into a dead girl. Ava (Alba Baptista), reanimating her and bestowing superpowers on her. The Halo has been passed down for centuries and was meant for another nun who is now jealous. We get nuns armed with crossbows, swords, rifles. These are Ninja Nuns. There is a conniving Cardinal and a lot of Church intrigue. A scientist is also involved who has her own plans for Church relics made from Divinium (a bit like unobtainium). Ava runs away and teams up with a gang of young grifters. Great combat scenes, well imagined demons. The RCC Hierarchy don't come out of this smelling of roses so it may substantially differ from the comic book series it's based on. Good fantasy thriller. 8/10. Ten episodes, on Netflix.

Good news!

The popular show Warrior Nun is set to return in the form of a movie trilogy.

Fans were devasted after streaming giant Netflix chose to cancel the fantasy series in December, following a string of other cancellations including vampire series First Kill and Fate: The Winx Saga.

Based on Ben Dunn’s comic books, the show followed Ava Silva (Alba Baptista), a young girl who wakes up in a morgue and discovers she has been given supernatural powers, which she uses to defend the world from demons. Help comes in the form of a mysterious order of warrior nuns.

While the show spent three weeks in the global top 10 on Netflix, creator Simon Barry told fans last year that it would not return for a third season.

However, following a social media campaign by Barry to revive it, executive producer Dean English has now announced that Warrior Nun will return as three feature films.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...un-movie-cast-netflix-cancelled-b2393808.html

Three Thousand Years of Longing​

This rather strange 2022 movie has just made it onto Amazon Prime.
The ever fascinating Tilda Swinton plays Alithea, an academic who, on a trip to Istanbul, purchases a strange bottle and, inadvertently, liberates a Djinn/Genie (Idris Elba) from his millennia-long prison.
The remainder of the 108 minute run time comprises Djinn telling his extremely bizarre life story, in a series of colourful tableaux, and Alithea slowly shedding her inhibitions and falling in love with him.
It's full of scene after scene of jaw-droppingly spectacular eye-candy and it occasionally raises some quite profound questions about life. If you were offered three wishes and were not 100% sure that the wish-grantor was not a trickster, what would you dare to wish for?
Veteran director George (Mad Max) Miller has given us a romantic and whimsical fantasy that, I thought, may appeal more to women than men, and yet my wife found her attention flagging a bit mid-way through, whereas I was happy to go with the flow throughout.
It's a 7/10 from me, as I must admit I'm a Tilda fan and her films are invariably a bit bonkers but always entertaining.
Wish I'd broken out the projector and big screen for this one, as it looks utterly amazing and the surround sound is excellent too.

Just watched this - what a wonderful movie! Very absorbing with first class performances by Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba.

Recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it, it's free on Amazon Prime if you're a subscriber:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/0TM8R4CCRIU0VCG6QR5BPFNYFF/

I loved it so much that I bought the Blu-ray.

Last edited:
Dungeons and Dragons trailer. Out March 2023. Looks a bit lightweight for my tastes but on the upside the dragons are dragons not poxy wyverns.

It is lightweight - but still fun and watchable, with a few clever in-jokes for fans of the TTRPG.
Crack open a beer or two, leave your brain at home and enjoy.
On Sky Cinema from tonight.

Even the cynical Critical Drinker was impressed by this.
It wasn't as bad as he expected from the trailer.

I find his delivery funny (though some might not), he has some very cognisant and to-the-point arguments. He's happy to be proved wrong (such as in Prey) and doesn't mind saying so.
I think many people don't like him because they think he's reactionary or right-wing but he's not; I think he argues for equality and not discrimination in the film world.
And he's right on the ball with the Marvel franchise and the recycled rubbish from Disney.

Coming sometime in 2024, a live person remake of Snow White from Disney.

People are upset because Disney is using a multicultural cast with Gal Godot as the evil Queen.

Well ... Snow White isn't; The actress playing her is very vocal in her hatred of the original ('only seen it once', 'it's too dated', 'Snow White isn't being rescued by a prince - she's taking command of her royal powers' etc.), there are no dwarves, and the question that the Evil Queen asks the mirror, about being fair, isn't about being 'fair' as in conventionally pretty but 'fair' as in being a just and kind ruler - which I'm not sure the 'Evil' Queen is too fussy about.
So ... I don't think the criticism is about having a multicultural cast* - it is a fantasy film after all. It's not a 'reflection' on the real world. it's a fairy story, a fiction.
The negative responses aren't against the actors characteristics at all, it's about what Disney is doing to it's most famous and iconic tales. It's Snow White in name only ... even only going by the press releases and the actors' own interviews.

* This is now the 'go to' response to any criticism, no matter how valid and no matter if cultures or races aren't mentioned. If a film bombs, it's the fans fault. It's trolls, it's the twitterati, wah, wah, wah. It's never the creators fault for making a bad product.

What irritated me was the report that Peter Dinklage - who culminated his career and hard-won work in GoT - announced that they shouldn't use dwarves. To represent ... dwarves.
Two things:
1) It's a bit distasteful for him to 'recommend' they don't use others with his physical condition. Luckily Time Bandits was made before his objections.
2) He doesn't seem to understand that 'dwarves' in a fantasy story aren't referring to humans with dwarfism. It's a completely fictional race, to which he doesn't belong. It's like the moans about Hugh Grant playing an Oompa-Loompa in the next production of Willy Wonka; the Oompa-Loompa do not exist outside the source material. What happens? They claim either the Oompa-Loompa are 'represented' (I mean, WTF?) or they are written out of the story.
A young lady who has to do all the work herself.
And setting up a very limited orphanage.

What irritated me was the report that Peter Dinklage - who culminated his career and hard-won work in GoT - announced that they shouldn't use dwarves. To represent ... dwarves.
Two things:
1) It's a bit distasteful for him to 'recommend' they don't use others with his physical condition. Luckily Time Bandits was made before his objections.
2) He doesn't seem to understand that 'dwarves' in a fantasy story aren't referring to humans with dwarfism. It's a completely fictional race, to which he doesn't belong. It's like the moans about Hugh Grant playing an Oompa-Loompa in the next production of Willy Wonka; the Oompa-Loompa do not exist outside the source material. What happens? They claim either the Oompa-Loompa are 'represented' (I mean, WTF?) or they are written out of the story.

And setting up a very limited orphanage.
Dinklage has done a major disservice to other performers of small stature. Where are they going to find work now?

Well ... Snow White isn't; The actress playing her is very vocal in her hatred of the original ('only seen it once', 'it's too dated', 'Snow White isn't being rescued by a prince - she's taking command of her royal powers' etc.), there are no dwarves, and the question that the Evil Queen asks the mirror, about being fair, isn't about being 'fair' as in conventionally pretty but 'fair' as in being a just and kind ruler - which I'm not sure the 'Evil' Queen is too fussy about.
So ... I don't think the criticism is about having a multicultural cast* - it is a fantasy film after all. It's not a 'reflection' on the real world. it's a fairy story, a fiction.
The negative responses aren't against the actors characteristics at all, it's about what Disney is doing to it's most famous and iconic tales. It's Snow White in name only ... even only going by the press releases and the actors' own interviews.

* This is now the 'go to' response to any criticism, no matter how valid and no matter if cultures or races aren't mentioned. If a film bombs, it's the fans fault. It's trolls, it's the twitterati, wah, wah, wah. It's never the creators fault for making a bad product.
Exactly right.

It looks like Disney has responded to the avalanche of criticism, and is trying to salvage something from the train crash by making frantic, major revisions :

snow-white-rachel-zegler-with-cgi-dwarves.jpeg

"With this most recent Snow White image, Disney has seemingly pivoted away from the magical creatures. While the Snow White casting damage has already been done, as a CGI dwarf is not an inclusive step in the way that casting an actor with dwarfism would be, it seems Disney is trying to listen to critical responses. With the recent news of Snow White’s delay from March 22, 2024, to March 21, 2025..."

https://screenrant.com/snow-white-live-action-remake-rachel-zegler-dwarves-image-disney/

maximus otter

Back