• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Titane, a dark fantasy, which involes a killer who has sex with cars, has won the Palm d'Or at Cannes, a first individual win for a female director also.

"Titane - an outlandish film packed full of sex and violence - has won the top award at the 2021 Cannes Film Festival.

Director Julie Ducournau is only the second woman to receive the Palme d'Or and the first female to win it alone.

The film, which is Ducournau's second feature, tells the story of a young female killer who has sex with cars after surviving a childhood crash.

The award was prematurely revealed by US director Spike Lee at the beginning of Saturday's ceremony.

The jury president let the big secret slip, before telling the audience: "I apologise for messing up.""

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57875578

Nah.
A film that "tells a story of a young female killer who has sex with cars after surviving a childhood crash." doesn't actually appeal to me. Interesting premise, perhaps to some. But I'm not going to pay money to watch it.
I really can't emotionally connect with those who 'fall in love' with inanimate objects, sorry.
Each to their own but I'm not going to pay money.

Nah.
A film that "tells a story of a young female killer who has sex with cars after surviving a childhood crash." doesn't actually appeal to me. Interesting premise, perhaps to some. But I'm not going to pay money to watch it.
I really can't emotionally connect with those who 'fall in love' with inanimate objects, sorry.
Each to their own but I'm not going to pay money.

I find the female serial killer bit interesting so I'll probably go see it.

Saw Black Widow today, plenty of female assassins in it.

Star Crash. David Hasselhoff, fighting a robot with a light sabre. Need I say more?

tumblr_lxk3ntUAHQ1qi66kho1_400.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the female serial killer bit interesting so I'll probably go see it.

Saw Black Widow today, plenty of female assassins in it.
I've watched a You Tube critic on this very film. I say, in advance, it's not 'my sort of thing'.
One of his complaints was that it was being a "Superhero" movie to match the other Marvel stuff while trying to be an action thriller, like the Bourne franchise.

I've watched a You Tube critic on this very film. I say, in advance, it's not 'my sort of thing'.
One of his complaints was that it was being a "Superhero" movie to match the other Marvel stuff while trying to be an action thriller, like the Bourne franchise.

The Black Widows always were assassins/spies though, even in comics.

I've given the new He-Man a try, not very much He-Man in it so far, it has to be said. They've kept the corny jokes but added cosmic angst, you know, for kids. It's OK, but if I missed the rest of it, I wouldn't be tremendously upset.

@GNC

If you want to watch the whole series don't click on the spoiler, but Kevin Smith has completely ruined the franchise

he-man gets killed off, twice, in the first couple of episodes along with Orco and Man-at-arms gets banished

I've watched the whole thing, and it was OK. Smith is obviously writing with his daughter in mind now. Looking around, I see the nerdrage has been apoplectic, but I can't imagine being that invested in a toy advert from the 80s. Guess others can.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they kill He-Man off completely as a character and replace him with someone less masculine.
Not-So-Muscly-Man, perhaps.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they kill He-Man off completely as a character and replace him with someone less masculine.
Not-So-Muscly-Man, perhaps.

His Prince Adam version was exactly that in this new version. He was also only in about two episodes, about one as He-Man.

I'll do it - they brought back She-Ra first, a couple of years ago. Unlike the Kevin Smith He-Man, the fans approved.
I haven't watched either of those but thanks for explaining GNC.

No problem - even back in the 80s I knew these cartoons were basically extended toy adverts, so I didn't get attached to them. And there was no Space Lego cartoon. I think some people get way too precious about these things.

I'll do it - they brought back She-Ra first, a couple of years ago. Unlike the Kevin Smith He-Man, the fans approved.
From all accounts, the critics raved about it, too.

I've watched the whole thing, and it was OK. Smith is obviously writing with his daughter in mind now. Looking around, I see the nerdrage has been apoplectic, but I can't imagine being that invested in a toy advert from the 80s. Guess others can.

I googled it the other day to find that it had been released -or the first five episodes have, it's annoying the way US TV/streaming series do that; and, as you say the pathetic manbabies are throwing their (very expensive and lovingly curated) toys out of the pram.

The upset is that the sacred text has been blasphemed and their glorious hero, that scion of all that is male, has been killed, emasculated and of course "cucked". As you say, it was a toy commercial with all the cynicism and tawdriness which that entails, it was also cheaply and poorly animated. And as for He-Man, he was a dude walking about in his pants with a pageboy hair cut and no nipples. He doesn't really fight as they weren't allowed to show violence in these cartoons, despite the weaponry. He only uses his sword defensively, for example.

I watched one reviewer who has certain views review it and then another youtube channel happened to be doing a live stream on it so tuned into them. I used to follow them as they did, and still do, genuinely interesting analysis of behind the scenes machinations behind genre films and TV. I gave up when it became clear that following certain agendas and pandering to a certain crowd of perpetually outraged "fans" was their bread and butter. I could only stand so much, so they went to watch the Kevin smith video they were slagging off.

I've only seen two Smith films (Clerks and Dogma), have found clips of his spoken word show entertaining but find his ability to literally cry tears of joy every time someone turns some piece of pop-culture trash into a film or show, absolutely nauseating. I watched most of his video and in the portion I saw he wasn't doing much of what they accused him off, which was mostly insulting "the fans". "The fans" are the most oppressed minority in the modern world, it seems. They are also a mythical "silent majority" (except in some areas online, where they are vast swarms of flies) who are some kind of terracotta army defending the holy emperor of their beloved properties.

Smith was at pains to point out that those aggrieved weren't necessarily wrong, everyone has a different take on thing. He also pointed out that the way to make He-Man, the "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe" interesting was to weaken him and rebuild him. He will be back in the latter five episodes, as will Orko. Some of these issues are caused by Netflix making the decision to split it in half. Smith also makes the point that there are multiple iterations of these things, there's been a number of animated He-Mans and there's another coming up from Netflix aimed at actual children.

The thinking behind these "fans" is very similar to conspiracy theorists and there are worrying overlaps: "I am part of the elect that has worked out this dastardly plan but also part of the oppressed majority being dictated to by on high." They blame certain companies and individuals for ruining the disposable crap that gives their wretched existences meaning. They have effectively moved from writing fan fiction set within actual fictional universes to writing fan fiction about what goes on behind the scenes. Kathleen Kennedy at Lucasfilm apparently hates Luke Skywalker for example and has an agenda about him and he was "sneaked" into the Mandalorian without her knowledge by the heroic John Favreau, who is only their hero until he does something they don't like.

It's mostly men but there are some women too, and some of these people are middle-aged...

From what I understand, there was similar outcry over She-Ra, as there was over a recent iteration of Thundercats. Both of these are stylistically - both in tone and animation style, very different to the originals. I don't think it was as extreme as the He-Man thing, these things seem to be building exponentially. Fans petitioning to having The Last Jedi excised from the SW canon or their "success" with The Snyder Cut.

We're in a New Dark Age.

I googled it the other day to find that it had been released -or the first five episodes have, it's annoying the way US TV/streaming series do that; and, as you say the pathetic manbabies are throwing their (very expensive and lovingly curated) toys out of the pram.

The upset is that the sacred text has been blasphemed and their glorious hero, that scion of all that is male, has been killed, emasculated and of course "cucked". As you say, it was a toy commercial with all the cynicism and tawdriness which that entails, it was also cheaply and poorly animated. And as for He-Man, he was a dude walking about in his pants with a pageboy hair cut and no nipples. He doesn't really fight as they weren't allowed to show violence in these cartoons, despite the weaponry. He only uses his sword defensively, for example.

I watched one reviewer who has certain views review it and then another youtube channel happened to be doing a live stream on it so tuned into them. I used to follow them as they did, and still do, genuinely interesting analysis of behind the scenes machinations behind genre films and TV. I gave up when it became clear that following certain agendas and pandering to a certain crowd of perpetually outraged "fans" was their bread and butter. I could only stand so much, so they went to watch the Kevin smith video they were slagging off.

I've only seen two Smith films (Clerks and Dogma), have found clips of his spoken word show entertaining but find his ability to literally cry tears of joy every time someone turns some piece of pop-culture trash into a film or show, absolutely nauseating. I watched most of his video and in the portion I saw he wasn't doing much of what they accused him off, which was mostly insulting "the fans". "The fans" are the most oppressed minority in the modern world, it seems. They are also a mythical "silent majority" (except in some areas online, where they are vast swarms of flies) who are some kind of terracotta army defending the holy emperor of their beloved properties.

Smith was at pains to point out that those aggrieved weren't necessarily wrong, everyone has a different take on thing. He also pointed out that the way to make He-Man, the "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe" interesting was to weaken him and rebuild him. He will be back in the latter five episodes, as will Orko. Some of these issues are caused by Netflix making the decision to split it in half. Smith also makes the point that there are multiple iterations of these things, there's been a number of animated He-Mans and there's another coming up from Netflix aimed at actual children.

The thinking behind these "fans" is very similar to conspiracy theorists and there are worrying overlaps: "I am part of the elect that has worked out this dastardly plan but also part of the oppressed majority being dictated to by on high." They blame certain companies and individuals for ruining the disposable crap that gives their wretched existences meaning. They have effectively moved from writing fan fiction set within actual fictional universes to writing fan fiction about what goes on behind the scenes. Kathleen Kennedy at Lucasfilm apparently hates Luke Skywalker for example and has an agenda about him and he was "sneaked" into the Mandalorian without her knowledge by the heroic John Favreau, who is only their hero until he does something they don't like.

It's mostly men but there are some women too, and some of these people are middle-aged...
I think the main issue is that Smith called it 'He-Man' and if you kill off the title character within the first couple of episodes then it's not He-Man any longer, if he had called it 'Teela' which is who the cartoon is actually about then people wouldn't care so much, but you probably wouldn't get the built-in fanbase, who, I feel, are rightly pissed at him.

I think the main issue is that Smith called it 'He-Man' and if you kill off the title character within the first couple of episodes then it's not He-Man any longer, if he had called it 'Teela' which is who the cartoon is actually about then people wouldn't care so much, but you probably wouldn't get the built-in fanbase, who, I feel, are rightly pissed at him.

He is killed off for a few episodes in the first half of series one and is already back as Adam and I believe is prominent in the latter half of the season. It's not called "He-Man", it's called "Masters of the Universe: Revelation". I don't know if he even named it, it's Netflix's series and they would ultimately decide.

After 30 years, Phil Tippett’s stop-motion opus Mad God is finally complete

There’s no labor of love quite like that of stop-motion animation, requiring a painstaking amount of time and effort to pose and photograph each individual frame. As such, these projects often take a long time to finish, but thirty years is still an extremely long time relative to the industry standard.

That’s how long it’s taken master animator (and one-time collaborator on Star Wars and dinosaur supervisor for Jurassic Park) Phil Tippett to complete his magnum opus Mad God, a three-decade struggle now ready for its premiere next month at the Locarno Film Festival. A trailer appeared online just last night to offer a dizzying tour through the creepy world Tippett has laboriously constructed by hand, as dazzling and detailed as could be expected from an artist of his stature.

https://lwlies.com/articles/mad-god-trailer-phil-tippett/

Kind of like Richard Williams' The Thief and the Cobbler, except it actually got finished?

I've watched Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe. I thought it was fine. Of course, I'd already heard that He-Man wasn't in it much, but I was fine with it being a Teela story, and I think I'd have been fine with it anyway. Of course, I'm nowhere near as invested in the franchise as some people appear to be. What do people expect of a modern version of an eighties franchise, especially when the original was aimed directly at kids (or at parents' wallets via their kids), and, let's face it, this one is aimed at the 'adults' those children became, while hopefully gathering a few younger viewers along the way.

I've been watching some of the youtubers berating Smith, and lost respect for some I've followed for a while because of the manic vitriol they're spouting. I just want to say, 'Sorry this story surprised you and didn't much include your favourite character whose name isn't in the title, but perhaps you should try watching it again when you're in your late fifties instead of your late forties. You clearly need to grow up a bit.' I also think they're criticising a story they know they've seen only half of. For not including things that it just hasn't yet included much. It's set in the Masters of the Universe, erm, universe, and it tells the story of the world losing its greatest hero. That's a fine place to start a story.

The only thing that annoyed me a bit, frankly, is...

...Prince Adam dies, then later just sort of steps out of the afterlife. I'd rather he have stayed dead. Like, properly dead. Then the story could have been about a new champion. I mean, he just LEFT THE AFTERLIFE THAT HE'S EARNED!

So yeah, it wasn't great, but it was fine. I'm looking forward to the second half. I have recently binged The Legend of Korra, which is not as great as Avatar: The Last Airbender, but is still pretty terrific, and might have been too good a thing for Smith's Masters of the Universe to follow.

Last edited:
The angrier the YouTubers get, the more hits they get, the more money they make. I'd be very tired having to be that outraged all the time. Especially when there are real things to be outraged about that matter.

The angrier the YouTubers get, the more hits they get, the more money they make. I'd be very tired having to be that outraged all the time. Especially when there are real things to be outraged about that matter.

Absolutely, they are selling a "brand", there's only a few talking points for the "I hate new He-Man/Star Wars/Star Trek etc" Brigade and they recycle and repeat them endlessly. I saw that at least one has started on the new LOTR series about which we know little to nothing.

This phenomenon has a cult-like feel.

I saw part two of Masters of the Universe:Revelations last night. It was better, in places quite good, but mostly just fine. I don't know what the outraged fanbase has to say. I learned many years ago as a Red Dwarf fan that nobody hates a franchise more than its biggest fans.

Back